pixeltracker

UPDATE: Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival!- Page 2

UPDATE: Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#25Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/11/17 at 11:41pm

No, Baritone, you are blindly speculating based on your own assumptions. And it’s a really lousy thing to be putting out there, too, regardless of the “I’m just saying” trappings you wrap it in.

But hey, in sharing what it looks like from over there, we know now where you stand! Good to know.  

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 10/11/17 at 11:41 PM

JSquared2
#26Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/11/17 at 11:56pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I'm not starting rumors - I'm pointing out that a blonde white girl was announced for the role, then let go with no explanation, and replaced with a Latina actress. I have no inside information, but from over here this looks like a well-meaning but poorly-handled political move.

Who knows what the truth is. I'm glad they are being inclusive and am sure Mendez will be great.
"

Yes you are starting rumors, and you are sounding like a fool. She was not “let go” and there is nothing “political” going on. 

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#27Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 12:01am

Kad, no offense was intended, and I am not "standing" in any position other than observing the very obvious switch over to the non-traditional casting of this role while simultaneously voicing my support of their efforts towards diversity. I am sitting here typing this with my Latina daughter sleeping on my lap, so yeah, I think you are misreading my intentions.

Inclusive casting is good. I think we can all agree on that. Any time you cast a POC in a traditionally white role when you have literally thousands of actors to choose from, whatever your motives are, you are being deliberately inclusive. I fully support this.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#28Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 12:04am

Again, maybe I'm just not seeing it, and maybe that's me being stupid, but I don't think of Mendez as an "ethnic" choice at all. I think she's just a great singer/actress? I get that her last name is Mendez, but she's fairly "white." 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#29Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 12:52am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Kad, no offense was intended, and I am not "standing" in any position other than observing the very obvious switch over to the non-traditional casting of this role while simultaneously voicing my support of their efforts towards diversity."

I think you're reading too much into it, which makes your observation a really destructive rumor. You're implying that a talented actress was fired because powers that be decided she was too white to play a traditionally white role. In today's charged climate, this is nothing short of a poorly thought out phrase which invokes a false narrative that white people are literally losing jobs because of "political correctness".

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#30Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 1:28am

<< slowly backing away from this conversation >>

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#31Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 2:08am

RippedMan said: "Again, maybe I'm just not seeing it, and maybe that's me being stupid, but I don't think of Mendez as an "ethnic" choice at all. I think she's just a great singer/actress? I get that her last name is Mendez, but she's fairly "white.""

Latinx performers sometimes have an advantage of being able to pass as white or have opportunities to play traditionally white roles because some have a lighter complexion, but that shouldn’t diminish the fact that they were Latinx. For example, Chita Rivera is known for playing Latina roles (Anita, Rose) but also roles not defined by race (Velma Kelly, basically every other role she’s played). She is a legendary actress who is Latina. That should definitely be celebrated and not diminished.

Lindsay Mendez is a Latina actress who is known for playing roles not defined by her ethnicity. That should be applauded; it’s a testament to her talent. But this is also a victory for an actor of color landing a role typically cast white. 

If this is true, I think it is inspired casting. Lindsay Mendez has deserved a plum role for a long time. She is a standout in everything she’s in but hasn’t had the same opportunities as, say, Betsy Wolfe has to play lead roles. (If Lindsay were white and blonde, would we be speculating her involvement in Frozen or the Wicked movie or a possible pregnancy?) Maybe Carrie will be the role that will finally get people to talk about Lindsay Mendez in a big way. It worked for the last person to play the role on Broadway.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#32Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 2:18am

Oh okay cool. I just don't think race ha anything to do with this  

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#33Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 2:37am

Still utterly crushed about Betsy, but what a deserving and truly magical replacement. I thought I was going to be upset no matter who they cast, but this is spectacular, and quite frankly, inspired. Looking forward to see what she does with the role, and looking forward to whatever Betsy does next!

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#34Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 2:38am

I don’t think her casting has to do with race either, but you brought up that she’s “fairly ‘white.’”

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#35Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 3:08am

I was already interested in this production, but this news has made it a 100% must-see for me. I thought she was outstanding in Significant Other and deserved a Tony nomination (along with Gideon Glick, who should have won).

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#36Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 8:17am

I'm a bit confused by this BWW "official" announcement -

Hhhttps://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Official-Lindsay-Mendez-Joins-Broadways-CAROUSEL-20171012

It says Mendez is joining the cast but not the role. Also says Betsy Wolfe's replacement has not yet been announced. Is this just bad editing or careful reporting?

"Betsy Wolfe was previously announced in the role of Carrie Pipperidge but was forced to leave due to scheduling conflicts. Her replacement has not yet been announced."

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#37Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 8:19am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "<< slowly backing away from this conversation >>"

Sorry, I didn't mean to pile on you. My comment above probably came off way more aggressive than I meant for it to be.

HennySlay
#38Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 8:38am

Valentina3 said: "I'm a bit confused by this BWW "official" announcement -

Hhhttps://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Official-Lindsay-Mendez-Joins-Broadways-CAROUSEL-20171012

It says Mendez is joining the cast but not the role. Also says Betsy Wolfe's replacement has not yet been announced. Is this just bad editing or careful reporting?

"Betsy Wolfewas previously announced in the role of Carrie Pipperidge but wasforced to leave due to scheduling conflicts. Her replacement has not yet been announced."
"

It seems like there has been no official release Broadway World was just reporting that Lindsay’s name was on the marquee. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#39Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 8:39am

^they also announced John Douglas Thompson as the he starkeeper, so I’m guessing they got some kind of confirmation  

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#40Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 8:48am

Read the first paragraph guys. Jesus.

>BroadwayWorld has just confirmed that stage star Lindsay Mendez has joined the revival of Carousel as Carrie! This is confirmed along with Tony nominee John Douglas Thompson, who will play the Starkeeper.<

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#41Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 8:53am

It didn't say that this morning Smaxie, I quoted the Betsy paragraph specifically which has been updated as well. This is hardly the first time BWW put up an article still under construction, so let's not take Lord's name in vain (I'm kidding).

Anyway... quite looking forward to this!

Updated On: 10/12/17 at 08:53 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#43Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 9:05am

I don't want this thread to get carried away with the race argument, but I will say this.

I am about 1/4 Spanish on my father's side. My last name (his) is a traditional Spanish surname. If I were an actor, and I were to be cast in a role like this, I know there would be those championing how great it is they cast a Latin actress in the past. Well, I have blond hair blue eyes and don't identify as Latin, despite my surname. 

So much of the 'non-traditional' casting game thus becomes about our OWN perceptions of race and ethnicity.  There are plenty of white actresses who look more Latin than actual Latinx people. It's simply an impossible equation to quantify.

That's why the ONLY casting that works, IMO is "Color Blind" casting.  I don't think Mendez's casting has anything to do with her race. End of soapbox.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#44Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 9:20am

^ I agree with you for the most part, but being Latinx myself, what's up with "There are plenty of white actresses who look more Latin than actual Latinx people"? What is that supposed to mean? There is no concrete look for a Latinx person... so if your idea of a Latin person is only a dark/tan skinned person, that is not correct. 

greenifyme2
#45Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 9:24am

I saw Lindsay back in Dogfight and Wicked and have been following her ever since. She is incredible. So glad to see her back in a broadway musical! Can't wait.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#46Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 9:24am

Congrats to Lindsay on snagging such a high-profile part. I must say, it's interesting that Hello Dolly was criticized for having a mostly-white cast...and now Scott Rudin's next big revival has done a complete turnaround in that regard.

I can't wait to experience my favorite Rodgers and Hammerstein show on a Broadway stage.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#47Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 9:45am

Itonlytakesajourney said: "^ Iagree with you for the most part,but being Latinx myself, what's up with "There are plentyof white actresses who look more Latin than actual Latinxpeople"? What is that supposed to mean? There is no concrete look for a Latinxperson... so if your idea of a Latin person is only a dark/tan skinned person, that is not correct."

I understand your point and agree. My point is that people are championing Mendez as a POC because of their perceptions of her ethnic heritage.  That in itself is a generalization about what race looks like. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#48Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 10:21am

I remember a skit in Godspell where George Salazar, another part-Latino in the cast, was speaking as Lindsay, who was mouthing his improv, and it was in a thick Latino dialect. I don’t think it was supposed to be in jest of the exaggerated accent, but it was a choice made because they share the same culture. I don’t think Lindsay hides the fact that she’s Latina; we’ve just never seen her in a role that was specifically dictated by color (unless you count Elphaba’s greenness).

The “plenty of white actresses who look more Latin than actual Latinx people” argument was one of the main points in the recent Evita casting controversy. It’s an argument that leads to the erasure of Latinx people onstage because white people can “pass.”

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#49Lindsay Mendez to Play Carrie Pipperidge in CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 10/12/17 at 10:35am

I suppose it's worth mentioning also that the best-remembered Carrie Pipperidge was also a person of color, Audra McDonald, so this isn't so much "ground-breaking" as "perfectly logical, laudable and appropriate casting that shouldn't still be ruffling feathers twenty years later."