pixeltracker

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions- Page 9

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions

CPB2
#200Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/15/17 at 10:41am

Also, "Fantine" as one of the names Damien suggests. Hope that's still in.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#201Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/15/17 at 11:35am

CPB2 said: "Also, "Fantine" as one of the names Damien suggests. Hope that's still in."

That thankfully is and it got a big response!

jamiebloom
#202Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/15/17 at 1:50pm

Went to the 2pm matinee on 11/4.

Not my style to engage in online forums, but Tina Fey's career means a lot to me personally and given her history of perusing message boards, I want to contribute my feedback—if it might help make this show reach its potential.

I haven't read all the reactions here, so sorry if any of this is redundant:

What's working
- The book is beyond solid: great narrative structure, the story from the film is in tact but adapted well to live on stage, the characters are richer, the jokes are sharp and topically freshened up. If beats don't seem to land or flow, it has more to do with the score and lyrics (more on that later) rather than the what/where/how they happen.
- The cast: They all more or less nail it. They make great choices with the material given. The comic timing is there, emotional intelligence is there, physicality is there. Especially noteworthy is that the score has many power moments vocally, and they all rise up to those challenges. I'd say Gretchen, Cady, and Damien come out strongest; Regina is weaker relative to its onscreen portrayal, but it's hardly a bad performance.
- Scenic design, projections, and staging: Projection design will always have its naysayers, but I thought it was particularly effective here. With some exceptions, the projections are mostly static to make cosmetic changes to the scenery (gym walls become classroom walls become mall walls, etc.), which is good because they aren't disorienting. While in school, I was taught to prioritize economical design, and this set is great in that regard because it gets a lot of mileage out of a semi-circle, with essentially a singular playing space in center stage and mostly small practical moving pieces. And the way staging and choreography is used to transition the scenes is smart and efficient (like how turning desks 90-degrees and a light cue suddenly creates a new classroom with different characters).
- Karen's sexy-Halloween-costume-send-up song: It's everything. Best part of the show.

What needs help
- The (rest of the) score and lyrics: Ugh. I had high hopes because I've loved everything Jeff Richmond has done on 30 Rock and Kimmy Schmidt ("Rural Juror" and "Just Go On" make me laugh/cry every time I hear them). In every brief opportunity he's been given, he's demonstrated a knack for writing melodies and, more importantly, for capturing the emotional truth and narrative purpose of any particular musical moment (e.g., you should feel sad here, this should feel climactic here, etc.). I had categorized him as "Gets It", so if anyone was going to make the leap to musical theatre score composer, I had faith he could. Alas... Most of the problems in the show lie in the score and Nell Benjamin's lyrics, in that they really f*ck with the flow and structure of the narrative. Moments that aren't super important seem to drag on forever (looking at you, "Apex Predator" ugh), or climactic moments will have the right amount of melodic heft but are brought down with problematic lyrics (like the Act I closer: it's intended to function as that important moment of transition from Regina's fall from power to Cady's rise as the queen bee, and it's called "Justice"; but I don't think everyone's resentment of Regina is established enough to warrant a rousing ensemble number rejoicing about justice being served; like, were all of you really that mad about Regina? It's established that she does evil bitchy sh*t, but with the exception of Gretchen, Cady, and Janis, no one else seems to express resentment towards her, so the fact that this number is lyrically premised on achieving "Justice" for the school barely made sense). And the melodies themselves just aren't all that catchy or dynamic and actually sound kind of dated. The music lives in that rockish pop territory that a lot of post-2000 movies-adapted-into-musicals seem eager to occupy. I think Jeff needs to go back to the drawing board, go back to what I know he knows (more "Just Go On" and that sound of a classically catchy show tune, and less... trash he found at Nell's house, leftover from Legally Blonde).
- A big moment that didn't really land for me—and it really needs to land, as this has to do with establishing Regina as evil and resented for it—is the Halloween party scene where she moves in on Aaron and Cady catches her. I think it has to do with how it was blocked or maybe the musical underscoring, I'm not sure and don't know what the solution is, but the moment felt like it was trying to be big (as it should be) but landed kind of slight and flat, and thus stalled the forward momentum of the story. Maybe it was just the energy at this particular matinee. (In the film, with the way it's edited and the way Lindsay Lohan plays it, there's a major beat change at this moment where Cady goes from playing along with the Plastics, to adamantly wanting to sabotage them. It's important and it felt like it was missing here on stage.)

The tl;dr
It's solid with a lot of things done right, but the score is currently distorting the narrative and dragging everything down.

Could be an A-/B+ show, but is currently a B-/C+.

Updated On: 11/15/17 at 01:50 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#203Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/15/17 at 10:24pm

Are all the people hailing Erika Henningsen preexisting fans? Because I don't see understand how you could go into the show I saw and come out thinking she has the audience wrapped around her finger, or she's getting Tony buzz. She's not terrible by any means, she's good, but she's not giving a Tony nominated lead actress performance. She should be carrying this show, and she's not.

BroadwayMan5 said: "I should have phrased it better... I think the kids will be fine. I guess what I'm really asking is will I get any flack from administration or parents froma small, fairly conservative community?"

Middle school is stretching it, depending on the school. They suggest  2 people having sex in a lion mascot costume, then show what looks like 2 people thrusting inside the costume. If you live in a state that has mandated abstinence only sex ed...I would say no.

jacobsnchz14 said: "I remember reading the Legally Blonde out of town previews thread and reading similar stuff. And look how that turned out."

A Broadway flop with a lead who couldn't sustain her performance vocally 8 shows a week? Without the MTV bump, it would have closed within a year.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#204Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/15/17 at 10:49pm

I agree with many of the posters here that think that Regina's mom's song needs to go. It's pretty unnecessary and a song should instead be given to the teacher who is the more interesting character and is a favorite from the film due to Fey's performance.

BobbyD3
#205Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/16/17 at 11:16am

orangeskittles said: "Are all the people hailing ErikaHenningsen preexisting fans? Because I don't see understand how you could go into the show I saw and come out thinking she has the audience wrapped around her finger, or she's getting Tony buzz. She's not terrible by any means, she's good, but she's not giving a Tony nominated lead actress performance. She should be carrying this show, and she's not."

I adored Erika in this production and was not a fan entering the theatre.  I think she was wonderful, and brought some much needed heart to the show.  I don't think that she will get a Tony nom, but it isn't out of the question.  The type of show will make that difficult.  It could be that one of the things that makes Erika so lovable is how terribly boring Taylor is as Regina.  

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#206Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/17/17 at 9:29am

I was there last night in one of the partial view seats (orchestra J26), and the view was absolutely fine.  I didn’t feel I missed anything, since most if not all of the action took place center stage.

I felt the performances were uniformly excellent.  Kate Rockwell as Karen Smith was a hoot.  The book was very good.  I’m on the fence about the score though.  After a while, the songs all started to sound the same.  The choreography was energetic but a bit busy.  The ensemble was a joy to watch.  The set design didn’t bother me in the least.

I will probably try my hand at their lottery to see it again, since the remainder of the run is more or less sold out.

It definitely was a fun and funny evening out.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#207Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/17/17 at 9:38am

orangeskittles said: "Are all the people hailing ErikaHenningsen preexisting fans? Because I don't see understand how you could go into the show I saw and come out thinking she has the audience wrapped around her finger, or she's getting Tony buzz. She's not terrible by any means, she's good, but she's not giving a Tony nominated lead actress performance. She should be carrying this show, and she's not."

I actually strongly disliked Erika as Fantine in Les Mis, but I saw her in a production of Found in Philadelphia and found I very much enjoyed her outside of Les Mis and I absolutely loved her in Mean Girls. Is she changing the world with her performance as Cady? No, but she's an absolute joy to watch and has a really fantastic voice. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#208Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/17/17 at 11:47pm

According to Ashley Park's Instagram story, they took production photos today. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Fordham2015
#209Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/18/17 at 11:24pm

So I liked this but didn't love it. Fey's book is hysterical- I bet she wins the Tony

The score is fine- for me the two standouts were "Where Do You Belong" and Mrs. George's song (which I wish was longer). The Halloween song and "Whose House Is This" are awful, though

The choreography is really cool (no surprise from Nicholaw) and the projections are among the best I've ever seen.

The cast: Erika's fine, but she's no Katrina Lenk. The Plastics are OK- Kate Rockwell's Karen grew on me as the show went on. Barrett's really good, but the kid who plays Kevin is annoying as hell.

But for me the two standouts were Grey Henson and Kerry Butler. Henson gets the best song in the show, and his line readings are a riot (still laughing about "Lady Gaga"). Butler also gets some of the best lines in the show (loved the one about the teachers union) and all three of her characters are fantastic. Agree with those who think Ms. Norbury should have a song, though.

Overall good not great- I'll be rooting for Band's Visit at season's end. But if you're a fan of the movie you should have a fun time

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#210Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/19/17 at 8:30am

Overall I had a ton of fun. I was tremendously worried that it would be unbearable. It’s not. It’s genuinely funny. It just needs some polish to make t shine.

Have we discussed the October 3rd moment yet? Very awkward. Necessary because of the movie, but they really overdid it, plastering “October 3rd” all over the projections. I’d rather it be a throwaway than that.

Give Barrett Wilbert Weed a full song outside Cady’s house and let her BELT!!

A lot of the songs are in the right place but need work. “Apex Predator” is the right idea and place for a song, but... it’s called Apex Predator? Lyrically that’s tricky to work around, and I think it’s a bit too scientific of an approach to the situation.

I had a LOT of fun so I’m very forgiving. I think this could really be a knockout with the reworking of the score. But it would take a lot of work.

Updated On: 11/19/17 at 08:30 AM

johnmichael
#211Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/19/17 at 9:27am

its fun for sure, and VERY pink, but the evening is way too long..... and the whole thing ultimately feels just unnecessary.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#212Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/19/17 at 1:06pm

Opening Night is tonight! Seeing it on Wednesday and curious about the reviews.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#213Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/19/17 at 1:08pm

First production photo posted on their Facebook!

Updated On: 11/19/17 at 01:08 PM

SchuylWERKsister Profile Photo
SchuylWERKsister
#214Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/19/17 at 3:21pm

Louderman hasn’t been done ANY favors by the design team.

She already has a very sweet look. She needs straight hair and expensive looking clothes. This is giving me very much midwestern Walmart fashionista, not Regina George. It’s only one picture, but if her costuming in the show is in this vain then it’s way off unless they’ve reimagined Regina George. This is EVANSTON, ILLINOIS we are talking about here. Even if they’re going for “I’m so rich and popular I don’t have to dress up”, it’s still wrong.

Updated On: 11/19/17 at 03:21 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#215Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/19/17 at 3:53pm

I wish that they just identically copied the look from the movie. I mean, come on. Iconic.

SchuylWERKsister Profile Photo
SchuylWERKsister
#216Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/19/17 at 4:07pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I wish that they just identically copied the look from the movie. I mean, come on. Iconic.

"

Louderman would not be allowed to sit at this table looking the way she does in that production photo which is a misstep because she’s supposed to be the one leading it. 

EPDD1000
#217Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/19/17 at 4:17pm

Saw this last night. Here are my thoughts. 

The Good

• The show is SO funny. Like, the jokes are truly hilarious. My favorite line is “she shot me with an Epi Pen. That or one of those pens with five colors”  

• It is a bona-fide musical. It isn’t trying to be a pop show. There are SO many buttons and musical theatre moments that it really makes you feel like it’s worthy. If it was literally the MOVIE onstage it would be boring, and it fleshed it out so well. 
  • The wigs and the costumes. I know it seems like a small thing but every detail was so perfect. It’s such a bummer when someone’s pivotal costume or wig is just ugly and it was sooooo perfect. 
  • THE CAST. I honestly don’t know how they got so many people that talented in one room but my first thought was “how are they going to replace them”. Like seriously. 
  • The projections work really well. They’re very very well done and look like they were made WAY beforehand (not like they googled clip art and slapped it onstage) and are actually like legitimate representations of the places they are supposed to — and the real set pieces are so cute and they are all moved by the cast and I LOVED that. I really didn't find it distracting at all and it served the piece well -- it's so clever. 
  • The ending is really great - the underlying tone about how girls treat each other is still there form the film and it makes it all the more relevant to the show now. 

The Eh 

• Some songs are too short to have a meaning or lack the build we so crave. I’d Rather Be Me, What Is Wrong With Me and Stay With Mother are three character songs that simply end too fast for us to really become engaged. We want more from all three. 
  • Aaron and Regina do need a song but Till Someone Gets Hurt brings the show to a halt. Not sure how to fix this one 
  • Gretchen needs so much more material in Act ll. I thought Karen had a good amount and it fleshed her out well. WE SAW a ton of Gretchen but didn’t hear form her. 
  • I actually though Regina was well-used in the second act. However, we need a BIT more form her to consider her a contender for leading actress in the second act. 
  • Some of the melodies are catchy, but the lyrics need a bit more punch. I.e., in STUPID WITH LOVE it would seem that the natural lyrics would be “I’m stupid with love / Just so stupid with love /“ to establish the lyric and the phrase, but it is so rare that we return to the phrase that it makes the melody suffer
  • Let’s hear some dialogue from Janis and Cady AND Janis and Regina at the end. 

The show is really, really, good. They also aren't using this as a cash cow (I mean, the show WILL make a lot of money), but they obviously genuinely care about this story to have put it together this well. I agree that the committee will probably be annoying about this show and not give it its well deserved noms, but history shows sometimes they can surprise us. I LOVED it. With a few adaptations to the score, it will be amazing. 

Updated On: 11/29/17 at 04:17 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#218Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/19/17 at 4:44pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "I remember reading the Legally Blonde out of town previews thread and reading similar stuff. And look how that turned out. "

A Broadway flop?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

kjck89 Profile Photo
kjck89
#219Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/19/17 at 9:06pm

Mean Girls is fantastic!!! Queen Tina!

It is well-casted and well-written. Each actor (while still alluding to the movie) really put their own interpretation and portrayal to the characters. MG is also updated for 2017 to include social media, current events, and the current lingo but there are plenty of nods to the film as well, especially the memorable scenes. The musical also fills in the gaps that the movie didn't really go into. The set (while simple in my opinion compared to other musicals I've seen) is also very effective. It is mostly screens in the background with tables, chairs, and doors on wheels. It will be interesting to see if the set design will be more elaborate in their Broadway home. The costumes/fashion were also fantastic!!! I was DYING over the amazing Plastics' outfits!  The songs were very good with plenty of high notes that really showcase the actors' talents but I didn't necessarily wake up the next morning singing the songs. They were good but not the "get stuck in your head" kind.

They did an excellent job transforming the film to a musical. It has a lot of heart and a really strong message. It is a feel good musical that will just have you smiling from beginning to end and really does feel familiar and yet still original. Would def recommend and I really think this will be a hit on Broadway!

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#221Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/20/17 at 1:57am

I'm a fan of Taylor's look as Regina. And I LOVE Barrett's wig. So much.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#222Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/20/17 at 8:45am

Barett’s costumes and wig are stunning. I can not get over how much detail is in that first outfit, and that wig! Definitely not disappointed.
I really like how Cady’s Pink shirt from the movie carried over. The Plastics looks good too, especially Gretchen/Ashley.

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#223Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/20/17 at 10:39am

**Some Spoilers**

Saw this in a packed house (at the heinous National) on Saturday night. I've never seen the movie for some reason--I love Tina Fey but have just never made the effort to go back and see this. So, I really only knew the basic plot outline going in, as well as a few of the ubiquitous lines. Given that Fey is the most famous name on the marquee, I was expecting a lot of book scenes and tons of dialogue. But it's pretty much wall-to-wall music--the piece has been fully musicalized, sometimes successfully, sometimes a little less so.

I expect this will be a hit in NY just as it has been in DC. There's a lot to like and the cast radiates energy and high spirits. There are a few issues to be addressed, but there's plenty of time before Broadway to do that. There's flat-out too much exposition. The first three numbers feel like opening numbers (no song list, so any song titles here will be my assumptions) and it takes a little too long to set up the world of the show, so some trimming is in order. Richmond's music is all pleasant in the moment, but most of it is not memorable and many of the songs begin to take on a certain sameness. When he does go a little out of the box, such as with a straight-up hip-hop number near the top of Act 2 called something like "Whose House Is This?", it tends to work. The best song is an 11 o'clock-ish number for supporting character Janice called "I'd Rather Be Me" (I assume). The sound at the National was a little muddy, so some of Benjamin's lyrics get lost in the mush, but they seem to be professional and in-character if not exactly Sondheimian in complexity. (Though I would note to her that "status" and "bad ass" do not rhyme, no matter how much you repeat it and no matter how much you have the singer contort the pronunciation.)

The staging is first-rate. This is by far Nicholaw's best work since Book of Mormon. The individual scenes all move and there's tons of character and business detail--note the way he has the actors do fantastic in-place choreography with their arms during the Mathletics scene. The classroom scenes shift quickly by having the actors at schooldesks on wheels doing a quarter-turn to indicate time and place transitions, with ensemble members taking turns quickly shifting from student to teacher roles. Scott Pask's set is a functional knockout--mostly a curved wall with marvelous projections that encompass everything from the "burn book" pages to brick institutional walls with directional signs that will instantly transport you back to your high school in your mind. The complex lighting is equally impressive. My only qualm with any of the staging is that there are a few occasions where the end of a scene seems to get a little squashed, where maybe a song could have used a bigger button or something and had more impact.

There are no clunkers in the cast. Every performance is accomplished and everyone does get their share of moments. Of particular note are Barrett Wilbert Weed as Janis Sarkisian (who gets what I thought was the best song, as mentioned earlier) and Kerry Butler, playing all the adult females. Butler in particular is astounding and probably Tony-nomination bound, creating three very distinct and very different characters with some quick changes that must be beasts. She only has one solo (a rare ballad as Mrs. George that's effective and humorous), but enough ensemble numbers and comedy bits to warrant awards consideration.

The end could use a little more focus--Cady's transformations from good girl to fake mean girl to real mean girl and back to good girl are fully fleshed-out, but Regina's transformation from mean girl to nicer girl is a little squishy. I mean, she gets hit by a bus (great staging moment) and suddenly she's nicer? This is not long after she's had a huge revenge number (complete with hydraulic levitation), so it feels like there needs to be a counterpoint musical moment there. And the whole thing could use just a skosh more sentiment to give the ending more oomph--a comment that could apply to many Fey-penned projects, brilliant as she is. This is a musical, after all.

But all in all, I felt like it was a good show, and close to being a very good one. I hope they make the necessary tweaks and have a big success at the August Wilson. 

I'm sending pictures of the most amazing trees/You'll be obsessed with all my forest expertise

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#224Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/20/17 at 11:37am

Damian wearing an Alyssa Edwards shirt is absolutely perfect.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards