pixeltracker

Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!- Page 2

Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#25Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/13/18 at 9:03pm

First I have heard about Christine being a Republican 9/11 truther - if thats the case - she is not welcome on our stages

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#26Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/13/18 at 10:27pm

Bwayfan292 said: "I know you all will probally think im crazy but I feel like (yes I know they have great numbers) but I feel like they will close up shop once Bernadette leaves and announce a national tour which will star Ebersole. "

I think Rudin is going to try to keep this going as long as he can get big names in the role on Broadway. I’m sure he has many irons in the fire for the next few stars to take over. Some stars may be more comfortable following Bernadette than Bette, too. I hope the Audra rumors are true. 

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

A Director
#27Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 3:12am

SweetLips said: 
Incidentially I didn't see Ms Peters on her latest TV interview but did wonder as I watched her previous one if anyone was at home.

Perhaps their surgeons' knife cuts just a little too deep.
"

SweetLips - Were you born a b*tch or do you have to practice?

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#28Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 5:11am

VernonGersch said: "First I have heard about Christine being a Republican 9/11 truther - if thats the case - she is not welcome on our stages"

clearly she is welcome on our stages due to her wonderful talent

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

binau Profile Photo
binau
#29Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 6:21am

TheGingerBreadMan said: "“(how funny she got to upstage Bette Midler in War Paint and now will be doing it again in directly the same role).”

What does this even mean?
"

It was a little vague sorry - let me clarify. I thought Bette’s performance in Dolly was embarrassing next to Ebersole (or LuPone) and the Tony went to the wrong person. Bette won the Tony Award for best event/warmest personality/best celebrity. But for Best Actress in a Musical? Nawww. I was kind of sniping that Ebersole would have a chance to upstage again with a direct comparison in the Dolly role. To be fair to Bette though, maybe in this instance Bette’s charisma and personality will win out. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#30Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 6:47am

The idea that a-n-y-o-n-e could upstage Bette Midler as Dolly Levi is daft.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#31Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 7:17am

I mean, we’re already counting down for Bernadette to do it. And to my ears Pearl Bailey was also more appealing. That said - I hope people realise that I am just splitting hairs here. I saw Bette twice and loved her and the show.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#32Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 7:28am

You're not sitting hairs, just being an ass.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#33Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 8:02am

God, I miss After Eight. When even he is more cheerful than some of the miserable people here you know things are dire. 

Updated On: 1/14/18 at 08:02 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#34Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 8:25am

qolbinau said: "But of course I’m not going to miss a chance to joke about it."

Isn't it a more effective joke if people don't ask what you're talking about?

If Bette were able to sing the word Trump 7x/week for the past year without scowling, I'm sure Ebersole can power through the existing lyrics.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#35Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 8:33am

BroadwayConcierge said: "But Christine Ebersole just doesn't seem like a name that will prompt people in cities across the country to buy tickets, at least to me."

Most people with theater subscriptions in major cities already have to buy full season packages to make sure they can see Hamilton in the next few years. So, a good chunk of the house is already sold no matter who they book.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#36Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 9:32am

I have a very difficult time seeing how anyone could possibly have the least difficulty imagining how magical she might be in this role, how magical she's likely to be.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#37Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 10:07am

qolbinau said: "God, I miss After Eight. When even he is more cheerful than some of the miserable people here you know things are dire."

Your entire existence seems to be policing the religious beliefs of people you’ve never met and forcefully shoving Bernadette Peters down the throats of anyone you can get a scrap of attention from. If she has read any of your posts, she’d be deeply mortified. You are the miserable one.

Christine will be absolutely remarkable.

Jarethan
#38Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 11:09am

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "The idea that a-n-y-o-n-e could upstage Bette Midler as Dolly Levi is daft."

I have loved Bette Midler since the first show I saw at the Palace Theatre...I think it was The Divine Miss M, with Clams on the Half Shell first at the Minskoff.

I was major disappointed in her performance in Dolly.  She was warm and funny as only she can be, but I felt that she was phoning in her singing and was generally 'tired'.  I recognize she was 71 when I saw her, but it was a Thursday performance right after vacation, plus I have seen other people around that age, e.g., Glenn Close this past summer, Patti Lupone in War Paint, Carol Channing in the otherwise lukewarm last revival, give their all.  Doesn't change my love for her...just tells me that I need to manage my expectations if I ee her live again.

PS -- For my money, Carol Channing and Pearl Bailey both outshines her in the 'larger than life' dimension, and Donna Murphy outshines her in the 'complete performance' one.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#39Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 11:11am

TotallyEffed said: "qolbinau said: "God, I miss After Eight. When even he is more cheerful than some of the miserable people here you know things are dire."

Your entire existence seems to be policing the religious beliefs of people you’ve never met and forcefully shoving Bernadette Peters down the throats of anyone you can get a scrap of attention from. If she has read any of your posts, she’d be deeply mortified.You are the miserable one.

Christine will be absolutely remarkable.
"

I can only roll my eyes that you would consider earned criticism of false, often harmful and typically right-wing religious belief systems as ‘policing’. But I’ve resigned to the fact that on this unusually conservative forum I can’t expect progressive thinking here. Sometimes after dealing with the people here I wonder why ‘Scandalous’ wasn’t a hit.

Sharing the genuine sense of joy, excitement and emotion I get from the Greatest Star of All (on a musical forum, no less) is the complete opposite of miserable, too. Christmas is coming 11 months early this year on Jan 20. I hope we all have our tickets - they are nearly all gone. 

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#40Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 1:04pm

Here's one of her 9/11 Truther speeches. I believe she's standing next to Alex Jones.

I'm sure she'll make a helluva Dolly. But I've always been turned off to her because of her participation in these type of events. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#41Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 1:41pm

I suspect Ebersole must not bring this into the workplace - for example, it reminds me when there was a War Paint interview with Patti/Ebersole and when asked about the election Ebersole said something like “Patti better answer that”. It seemed like a strategic deflection because she knew her true thoughts wouldn’t be popular with the potential target audience of the musical.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#42Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 8:00pm

Truly saddened to see this side of Ebersole.  This will get in my way of enjoying any of her future performances.  

Christine Ebersole Stands up for 9/11 Truth

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#43Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 8:05pm

When was the last time she’s said any of those things, though? Maybe Patti brought her to the good side.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#44Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 8:09pm

Call_me_jorge said: "When was the last time she’s said any of those things, though? Maybe Patti brought her to the good side."

I actually sn*ed. Can't tell if you're being naive or cheeky..

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#45Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 8:10pm

Maybe you are right Call_me_jorge, that was a very emotional and confusing time for us all.  

smidge
#46Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 8:14pm

Ebersole did bring Rosie O'Donnell over to her side as a 9/11 truther

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#47Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 8:56pm

I'm sure she'll make a helluva Dolly. But I've always been turned off to her because of her participation in these type of events. 

Me, too.  A shame, as I was looking forward to seeing a tour of the production.  Maybe I can catch a performance with the understudy.  She's not just a 9/11 truther, but her nonsense on the Amero and the "bankers" taking over North America borders on anti-Semitic. 

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#48Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 9:30pm

I do think Ebersole’s bonkers beliefs HAVE affected her work, though. I don’t think she works nearly as often (in high-profile projects) as someone of her talent should. I have a friend who insists I separate the politics from the performance and I really cannot do that when the beliefs are as dangerous as some of Ebersole’s.

There’s also a new crop of fans (who emerged with War Paint) who think her 9/11 trutherism and anti-vaxx stances are cute quirks. They’re young and obviously don’t remember 9/11, but that makes me worry for the future.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#49Christine Ebersole touring with Dolly!
Posted: 1/14/18 at 9:32pm

givesmevoice said: "I do think Ebersole’s bonkers beliefs HAVE affected her work, though. I don’t think she works nearly as often (in high-profile projects) as someone of her talent should. I have a friend who insists I separate the politics from the performance and I really cannot do that when the beliefs are as dangerous as some of Ebersole’s.

There’s also a new crop of fans (who emerged with War Paint) who think her 9/11 trutherism and anti-vaxx stances are cute quirks. They’re young and obviously don’t remember 9/11, but that makes me worry for the future.
"

WHAT?!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement