pixeltracker

Patti rehearsing “Don’t Cry for me Argentina” @MSG- Page 2

Patti rehearsing “Don’t Cry for me Argentina” @MSG

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#25patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/28/18 at 10:47pm

She murdered it. I'm sitting here crying at her performance, and crying at how much everyone is loving it. 

VIVA La LuPone!

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#26patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/28/18 at 10:50pm

I think Ben did well, like a 7.5/10 - I enjoyed the arrangement and he eased in by the end. Nice to see the future of musical theatre there, as well as a true legend.

Patti was 10/10. Breathtaking.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#27patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/28/18 at 10:50pm

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Ben Platt was a bit tentative at the beginning.  I wish there had been a reaction shot from ALW.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

bear88
#28patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/28/18 at 10:59pm

Patti LuPone is 68? That's amazing. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#29patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/28/18 at 11:15pm

Patti was extraordinary. I can’t believe how much time they gave the Broadway pair!

Zamedy154
#30patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/28/18 at 11:19pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Patti was extraordinary. I can’t believe how much time they gave the Broadway pair!"

I was thinking the same thing! And during the 10pm hour, nonetheless. 

Major producer mistake, however: Not showing ALW's reaction to the tribute to ALW.

Updated On: 1/28/18 at 11:19 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#31patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/28/18 at 11:19pm

If you had closed your eyes and listened to that performance, you would have sworn it was front 30 years ago. Simply breathtaking.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#32patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/28/18 at 11:20pm

...Take note bitches...that is how a diva takes over...

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#33patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/28/18 at 11:21pm

The girl in the blue dress just sitting tbere looking bored, when they panned the audience after the song, annoyed me.

Just give the world Love.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#34patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/28/18 at 11:35pm

Who was that woman? She’s getting excoriated on Twitter.

Updated On: 1/28/18 at 11:35 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#35patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/28/18 at 11:42pm

Really?! Wish I was on twitter. I have never been a fan of CBS' camera work at live events so not surprised they showed her.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#36patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/28/18 at 11:43pm

I noticed that that lady too, and the guy sitting next to her. I was like WTF, why are you sitting there when everybody is standing up??!

Darreyl with an L!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#37patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/28/18 at 11:47pm

Yess! I came here to talk **** about her lol. I hate how different genres of music can’t appreciate each other.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#38patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/28/18 at 11:49pm

RippedMan said: "Yess! I came here to talk **** about her lol. I hate how different genres of music can’t appreciate each other. "

That was my immediate thought. Do we know who she is?

Updated On: 1/29/18 at 11:49 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#39patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/29/18 at 12:00am

She was nominated in the rap album category. She goes by Rapsody.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#40patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/29/18 at 12:07am

Well hopefully one of her girls just walked up to her at a post awards party, held up her phone and said "Girl, while you were all mad that you lost you should have at least applauded for Patti Lupone cause they ard letting you have it on twtter".

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#41patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/29/18 at 12:20am

So happy to see this:

@OfficialALW:

Patti, you were magnificent, infinite thanks, Andrew #grammys

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#42patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/29/18 at 12:22am

Yet again---plump aware from Ms Perfect.

'You feel uncomfortable'!!!! You need help-IMMEDIATELY. Keep those comments to yourself or post a current photo of yourself here so we can all be honest how YOUR looks affects us[or me as only speaking for myself].

Performance crit. Ms LuPone looked beautiful for a woman of any age. Her voice was clear and strong and most impressed by her phrasing and breathing, especially as it had to be rearranged re time element-and there was a hint of Norma at the very end.

Mr Platt was delicious--charming, sensitive, innocent with a voice that hit all the notes, and then some-a simple and effective performance.

Updated On: 1/29/18 at 12:22 AM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#43patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/29/18 at 12:54am

Just finished watching both performances.

Ben was simply entrancing. The standing ovation and the audience’s response speaks for itself.

As for La Grand LuPone. Chilling and a true Master Class. A perfect example of taking care of your voice and learning proper technique as her voice is as powerful today as it was almost 40 years ago when she did EVITA. It has not deteriorated whatsoever. Yes, I was in tears when the music swelled and she struck her iconic Evita pose. I’m sure people were already standing before the number ended.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#44patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/29/18 at 1:17am

The fact that Patti LuPone is the #2 trend on Twitter right now fills my heart with joy.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#45patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/29/18 at 2:47am

And to think there is a fraction of our community today who think Patti had and has no business playing this role simply because of her national identity/cultural background. We need to protect and encourage talent! In today’s climate it is very possible someone like LuPone could be passed up for frivolous reasons!! Don’t let our community be destroyed.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/29/18 at 02:47 AM

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#46patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/29/18 at 3:52am

I’ve never really saw what people saw in Patti, tonight that changed. That was magnificent, everything from dictation, phrasing was spot on. Bravo Ms LuPone 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#47patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/29/18 at 6:40am

Tears welled up in my eyes. What a transcendent performance. Always impressed by how well Patti can use her voice to express so much from so little.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#48patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/29/18 at 6:52am

I don't think Ben Platt's performance did what the segment intended. It felt more like a pop cover than a slice of the wondrous repertoire of Broadway musical theater. I guess Patti's insistence on singing the score as it is written is not totally unreasonable in this case.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#49patti at the grammy's
Posted: 1/29/18 at 8:04am

Musically, I didn't care for Ms. LuPone's performance. I thought it was consistently belt-y and more like Ethel Merman than her original, more nuanced performance of the song. One example that stands out for me was how she belted out, "I ne-ver ex-PEC-ted it to", and hit and held that second syllable of 'expected'.

I didn't feel like the orchestra was with her regarding the liberties she took with the tempos of the recitative. Neither was I a fan of the change she made to the rhythmic line of the lyric, "Don't cry for me Argentina". I prefer the smoother triplets.

In spite of the elements I didn't like musically, I enjoyed every second of the performance. Patti LuPone is (IMO) a perfect example for how to take command of a stage. I wish the sound engineers had better captured the audience applause the second she began the refrain, as well as the applause when she raised her arms for the classic Evita "balcony arms". And was that a tear she wiped away at the end? I felt - and loved - the emotion of "but all you have to do is look at me to know" in her Grammy version of the song.

I have a LOT of respect for how Patti LuPone is growing. Can she still sing the Evita she sang in her youth? Nope. But - she still uses her voice with the same effectiveness that's always been there, and there doesn't seem to be any hint of declination - just change. Her instrument has evolved with age, and she's adapted how she uses it, to great effect.

To my mind, Evita is still "hers", but it's definitely part of her past, not her present. Her present is just as vibrant as her past though, albeit different.

Updated On: 1/29/18 at 08:04 AM