MEAN GIRLS Reviews

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#50MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 12:06am

Reviews don't always predict Award nominations.  But if they do in this case the only two major standouts are the gay boy and Louderman. Others are mentioned but not really a consensus of excellence. The set and projections got good notices also. It will probably get a Best Musical nod due to lack of competition and to encourage Tina Fey.

MadsonMelo
#51MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 12:11am

I love the fact that the score Will be nominated even being the main problem lol such a weak year for New musicals

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#52MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 12:14am

It also will get a best score nomination basically by default. Unless they choose music from a play over it.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

MarilynMonroeSmash Profile Photo
MarilynMonroeSmash
#53MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 1:45am

CurtainPullDowner said: "Reviews don'talways predict Award nominations. But if they do in this case the only two major standouts are the gay boy and Louderman. Others are mentioned but not really a consensus of excellence. The set and projections got good notices also. It will probably get a Best Musical nod dueto lack of competition and to encourage Tina Fey."

The "gay boy" has a name - Grey Henson.

Dolly80
#54MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 4:53am

Wow what a bad year for musicals. That’s The Bands Visit definitely winning Beat Musical then.

justherehanging
#55MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 7:15am

All reviews including ours as patrons are subjective to our personal experiences and belief what theater should be. 

I saw it.  

Did I like it, yes 

Did I smile and laugh, yes 

Do I remember any of the songs, no 

What is it ground breaking theater, no 

Can they sing, YES.  The cast has the chops. 

Lots of energy!!

If you liked the movie you will have a good time, if not doubtful.   

The downside is it’s an overpriced ticket, but demand is high because the spirit of the movie and it’s just a fun time.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#56MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 9:39am

CurtainPullDowner said: "It will probably get a Best Musical nod dueto lack of competition and to encourage Tina Fey."

I don't think you even need to qualify the "probably." Eight musicals opened this year. With horrendous reviews, low attendance, and little love from audiences, we can count out Rocktopia, Prince of Broadway and Margaritaville. It looks like Summer is going to go down just about as badly. Which leaves us with The Band's Visit which opened to raves, SpongeBob which had the second strongest reviews of a new musical this season, and Mean Girls and Frozen which received mixed responses but are packing them in. I think those four also have Book and Score on lock unless SpongeBob's 25 or so songwriters put people off or Frozen somehow doesn't meet the 50% eligibility (which I think it more than clears) in which case maybe Harry Potter or Angels could conceivably sneak in, but I highly doubt it.  

rebeccmam31
#57MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 9:43am

Sauja said: "CurtainPullDowner said: "It will probably get a Best Musical nod dueto lack of competition and to encourage Tina Fey."

I don't think you even need to qualify the "probably." Eight musicals opened this year. With horrendous reviews, low attendance, and little love from audiences, we can count out Rocktopia, Prince of Broadway and Margaritaville. It looks like Summer is going to go down just about as badly. Which leaves us with The Band's Visit which opened to raves, SpongeBob which had the second strongest reviews of a new musical this season, and Mean Girls and Frozen which received mixed responses but are packing them in. I think those four also have Book and Score on lock unless SpongeBob's 25 or so songwriters put people off or Frozen somehow doesn't meet the 50% eligibility (which I think it more than clears) in which case maybe Harry Potter or Angels could conceivably sneak in, but I highly doubt it.
"

Harry Potter and Angels are both plays, not musicals.

IdinaBellFoster
#58MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 9:49am

rebeccmam31 said: "Sauja said: "CurtainPullDowner said: "It will probably get a Best Musical nod dueto lack of competition and to encourage Tina Fey."

"

Harry Potter and Angels are both plays, not musicals.
"

The category is "Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre" - it's not limited to just musicals. In the abysmal 2010 nominations, both FENCES and ENRON were nominated. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#59MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 9:52am

Not to mention that One Man, Two Guvnors, and Peter & the Starcatcher were both plays that earned Tony nominations for Best Original Score in 2012.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#60MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 9:53am

Sauja said: "CurtainPullDowner said: "It will probably get a Best Musical nod dueto lack of competition and to encourage Tina Fey."

I don't think you even need to qualify the "probably". Eight musicals opened this year. With horrendous reviews, low attendance, and little love from audiences, we can count out Rocktopia, Prince of Broadway and Margaritaville. It looks like Summer is going to go down just about as badly. Which leaves us with The Band's Visit which opened to raves, SpongeBob which had the second strongest reviews of a new musical this season, and Mean Girls and Frozen which received mixed responses but are packing them in. I think those four also have Book and Score on lock unless SpongeBob's 25 or so songwriters put people off or Frozen somehow doesn't meet the 50% eligibility (which I think it more than clears) in which case maybe Harry Potter or Angels could conceivably sneak in, but I highly doubt it.
"

Is Rocktopia really a musical? If it isn't, then we actually have seven new musicals this season.

theatreguy12
#61MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 11:14am

MarilynMonroeSmash said: "CurtainPullDowner said: "Reviews don'talways predict Award nominations. But if they do in this case the only two major standouts are the gay boy and Louderman. Others are mentioned but not really a consensus of excellence. The set and projections got good notices also. It will probably get a Best Musical nod dueto lack of competition and to encourage Tina Fey."

The "gay boy" has a name - Grey Henson.

"

Unfortunately though this is something that many in the gay community have set into motion themselves.  And I say this as a gay male myself.  Not a gay male who subscribes to this mentality, but one who recognizes it.  Too often it's about, "Hi. I'm gay.  My name is Steve, by the way."  When this is the main way you define yourself, that's how others define you.  

So when you're the lone gay wolf in the cast, you become the "gay one" to many.  

It's those of us who don't use that as our only defining character who see this "gay boy" by his real name.  

For those who do, that's fine.  But we can't be sensitive when others define us that way first too.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#62MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 11:23am

I'm also assuming he was referring to the gay CHARACTER. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#63MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 12:44pm

Pretty sad season when THE BAND'S VISIT (meh at best, not nearly as good as the movie) is the best new musical. 

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#64MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 12:46pm

dramamama611 said: "I'm also assuming he was referring to the gay CHARACTER."

exactly. what bothered me was saying "Louderman and the gay boy." If it had been said "Regina and the gay boy" - still not great, but I would have got it more, like, I can't remember the name of that character. But to say the name of the actress and and then not the name of the actor is rude and dismissive. Or even "the guy that played the gay boy." 

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#65MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 1:23pm

bwayrose7 said: "Brantley's nastiness towards other young-women shows is... really something. Wonder why he left Waitress out of that little tangent? Unsurprised at his review, this didn't seem like his kind of show.

Also find it interestingthat the book is usually blamed for a bad or so-so musical, and in this case it seems to be the one thing that was praised across the board.
"

Waitress is not a “tween girls” musical. Its about an unplanned pregnancy to annabusive husband, and affair with an OBGYN. Yes its score is pop, and the pie aspect makes the show feel family friendly, but the show is on oasr with Spring Awakening and Rent in terms of content. The only difference is Waitress uses very little profanity. The sex scenes in Bridges of Madison county were more tame. I can understand why parents or school groups would see Spring Awakening or Rent with tween girls as they are both coming of age/historical pieces, Waitress on the other hand is simply a romantic dramady. I like Waitress, by the way, its just very disingenuous to lump it in with the tween targeted musicals of Legally Blonde, Anastasia, frozen, Legally Blonde (which i feel is also underapreciated), Tuck Everlasting, Bring it On and now Mean Girls. Waitress should be catagorized with more adult modern musicals like Bridges of Madison County, Bright Star, Lysistratta Jones, and Once.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#66MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 1:36pm

Does anyone think that Kerry Butler might get the lifetime achievement Best Supporting Actress Tony for this along the lines of Annaleigh Ashford for You can’t Take it with you? All of the reviews seem to call her out, even if its a passing mention since she’s the only “name” broadway talent in the cast.
It doesn’t seem like there are any must see performances in the musical catagories this year outside of Ethan Slater as Spongebob.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#67MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 1:45pm

Bdn, whil I agree there’s not many must see performances this season, Katrina Lenk is definitely on the very short list of must see performances.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#68MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 2:04pm

Can anyone think of plays that could be nominated for best score? I assume HP?

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#69MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 2:07pm

I don't even think Butler will get a nomination. None of her roles are very memorable and that's not her fault, but I really doubt this is her time.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#70MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 2:18pm

fashionguru_23 said: "Can anyone think of plays that could be nominated for best score? I assume HP?"

Maybe Farinelli & the King?

massofmen
#71MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 2:18pm

is it odd that Kerry BUtler looks younger than the 3 "mean girls". Does she drink the blood of small forest creatures to stay looking 20 for 20 years?

wtf. its incredible

Sparkle Neely Profile Photo
Sparkle Neely
#72MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 2:26pm

I adore the Mean Girls film, but the movie is far too quotable to work on stage as anything more than a Rocky Horror type call-and-response Entertainment. Adapting widely popular movies, especially ones with that many one-liners, makes it difficult for the creators to expand or change much in the material. It becomes extremely limiting, preventing any real creativity and ingenuity from happening. Films that are burned this deeply into pop culture rarely work. If you’re going to do something so quotable, incorporate those lines smartly into the lyrics.

I’m sure they’ll have a healthy run, though. It’s just a shame that such a great film has become a mediocre musical. I would love to see Easy A adapted into a musical. It’s enough of a cult film to make a great musical on the right hands.

IdinaBellFoster
#73MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 2:39pm

fashionguru_23 said: "Can anyone think of plays that could be nominated for best score? I assume HP?"

I haven't seen it, but didn't someone report that a lot of the music is actually some of Imogen Heap's previous material? 

Notreallysilent 2
#74MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 2:48pm

Some of the music is new for HP and other is imogen heaps old work. I’m not sure if it’ll count for original score but if it does it might get that nomination since the reviews were pretty negative about mean girls score.

Updated On: 4/9/18 at 02:48 PM

Videos