pixeltracker

Who is closing post tony nominations?

Who is closing post tony nominations?

nycesq
#1Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 12:59pm

Which shows and when?

Any shows going to close in next 2 weeks with open ended runs?

Updated On: 4/29/18 at 12:59 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#2Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 1:03pm

Lobby hero is closing May 13th.

edit: if you are talking about shows with open ended runs. I think the shows that mostly in danger are Escape to Margaritaville, Donna Summer, and possibly Spongbob. Though, I think spongebob could do much better nabbing nominations.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 4/29/18 at 01:03 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#3Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 1:08pm

I think Summer will be the first to go.

Margaritaville will be in a similar boat of being virtually shut out on Tuesday, but the producers are clearly funneling money into that thing.

I think SpongeBob will probably get a bunch of nominations and can ride on that for a little bit, but will close shop Labor Day. 

brdwybound04
#4Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 1:54pm

Children of A Lesser God may also not be able to finish at run... yes it’s at a non-profit subscriber house... but those grosses are awful

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#5Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 2:12pm

Unless it wins the Best Revival Tony, I'm also pretty sure that Once on This Island won't survive long past June.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#6Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 5:23pm

I think that Summer will run till Labor Day regardless of Tony noms, Once on This Island, unfortunately may close shortly after the Tonys unless their performance drums up buzz, Escape to Margartiaville will close by Labor Day, Spongebob will run to Labor Day then launch a tour

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#7Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 5:30pm

brdwybound04 said: "Children of A Lesser God may also not be able to finish at run... yes it’s at a non-profit subscriber house... but those grosses are awful"

They aren't part of the season, though. They are just renting the space from Roundabout.

brightbroadway
#8Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 7:45am

Jessetenny said: "I think that Summer will run till Labor Day regardless of Tony noms, Once on This Island, unfortunately may close shortly after the Tonys unless their performance drums up buzz, Escape to Margartiaville will close by Labor Day, Spongebob will run to Labor Day then launch a tour"

The only way I see Spongebob staying after Labor Day is if they either get nominated for best musical or win best musical (which is highly unlikely.) Summer will close around August. Escape to Margarittaville will close Labor Day weekend. And Once on this Island not much after the Tony's possibly sometime in July or August. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 9:43am

It'll have to win best musical to make a difference.  (Noms don't help that much.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#10Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 10:05am

ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE is definitely hitting the sh!tter in the next month or so. 

SPONGEBOB probably has until Labor Day.

SUMMER is probably going to make it through the summer, with LaChanze maybe scooping up a Tony nod.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#11Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 10:20am

haterobics said: "brdwybound04 said: "Children of A Lesser God may also not be able to finish at run... yes it’s at a non-profit subscriber house... but those grosses are awful"

They aren't part of the season, though. They are just renting the space from Roundabout.
"

Though Roundabout Theatre Company is listed as a co-producer on the production.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#12Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 10:24am

brightbroadway said: "Jessetenny said: "I think that Summer will run till Labor Day regardless of Tony noms, Once on This Island, unfortunately may close shortly after the Tonys unless their performance drums up buzz, Escape to Margartiaville will close by Labor Day, Spongebob will run to Labor Day then launch a tour"

The only way I see Spongebob staying after Labor Day is if they either get nominated for Best Musical or win best musical (which is highly unlikely). Summer will close around August. Escape to Margaritaville will close Labor Day weekend. And Once on this Island not much after the Tony's possibly sometime in July or August.
"

Though if SpongeBob does well in nominations tomorrow morning, they could give it the boost it needs. Same with Once on This Island.

Updated On: 4/30/18 at 10:24 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#13Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 10:32am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Though Roundabout Theatre Company is listed as a co-producer on the production."

Yes, but on their website, it says it isn't their production, so that would seem to mean subscribers aren't getting tickets.

perfectliar
#14Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 10:33am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "haterobics said: "brdwybound04 said: "Children of A Lesser God may also not be able to finish at run... yes it’s at a non-profit subscriber house... but those grosses are awful"

"

Though Roundabout Theatre Company is listed as a co-producer on the production.
"

But the show isn't part of the Roundabout subscription series, so it being in a non-profit house is a moot point.

VintageSnarker
#15Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 10:46am

brdwybound04 said: "Children of A Lesser God may also not be able to finish at run... yes it’s at a non-profit subscriber house... but those grosses are awful"

Having finally seen it, it's a totally fine production. I don't know if it's lack of interest in the play or a need for bigger star casting but I don't think the production is the reason why it isn't doing better at the box office. I mean, it wasn't so dynamic and thrilling that I'd say it was a must-see but I would be a little sad if a relatively good production of a not too dated revival couldn't make it to the end of its scheduled run.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#16Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 10:57am

Gross-wise, Summer is actually doing pretty well. I think it'll hold on thru the... summer, probably a year or two. It's not marketed towards theater die-hards, so I don't think those are going to see it are really going to care that the book is... less than stellar.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#17Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:08am

I think Children of a Lesser God will be the first to go. Spongebob will hold out until Labor Day (I suspect it'll get lots of noms tomorrow) and maybe it'll last until New Year's. Margaritaville will close Labor Day, along with probably Once on This Island.

Judging by Summer's grosses, that thing will inexplicably keep running.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#18Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 1:44pm

I think Children of a Lesser God is the only show that is on the cusp.  Both Spongebob and Once on this Island will get a fair number of nominations, including Best Musical/Revival.  Margaritaville won't, but the producers will probably keep it open long enough to have a number on the broadcast.

Children is in a trickier situation.  The Best Revival nominees will be Angels in America, Three Tall Women, Travesties, The Iceman Cometh, and ... something else.  When there were originally only 4 nominees, I would say that Children had no chance, but with five, it has a shot.  It will get a nomination for Lauren Ridloff but probably not a whole lot of other nominations.

If Children does not get a Best Revival nomination, it will probably close.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Jeffrey Karasarides
#19Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 2:42pm

^Don't forget that Lobby Hero is a revival, so I think that will take the fifth slot.

sdrick
#20Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 4:41pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I thinkSummerwill be the first to go.

Margaritavillewill be in a similarboat of being virtually shut out on Tuesday, but the producers areclearly funneling money into that thing.

I thinkSpongeBobwill probably get a bunch of nominations and can ride on that for a little bit, but will close shop Labor Day.
"

Well, SUMMER made over a million last week.  I think it has legs for awhile . . .

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#21Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 4:48pm

I think that Summer will stick around at least until Labor Day, but once The Cher Show opens, I think Summer will be done. Either Labor Day or New Years seems about right to open the Lunt up for something good in the Spring

Impossible2
#22Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 4:55pm

I personally can't see Spongebob closing, I think it'll just limp along having good weeks and bad weeks and as long as it doesn't lose too much they'll keep it going.

It's in a prime position right opposite the TKTS booth in the middle of Times Square and keeps the brand in the faces of millions of tourists on a weekly basis. They'd pay 10 times as much as what they are losing for the advertising space alone that it garners simply by existing.

It's not going anywhere.

bear88
#23Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 5:32pm

little_sally said: "I think Children of a Lesser God will be the first to go. Spongebob will hold out until Labor Day (I suspect it'll get lots of noms tomorrow) and maybe it'll last until New Year's. Margaritaville will close Labor Day, along with probably Once on This Island.

Judging by Summer's grosses, that thing will inexplicably keep running.
"

The success, thus far, of Summer is not all that surprising to me. I have not seen it, but many of the comments and reviews, in La Jolla and on Broadway,  have described middle-aged women dancing in the aisles,  et cetera. If there are enough people having a blast at a show, they will come back again and tell their friends. This show was never aimed at critics or people like me. Might its success be fleeting, or gutted by The Cher Show? Sure, but Summer might stick around longer than anyone expects. A lot of people grew up with disco, and Donna Summer.

As for SpongeBob and Margaritaville, there are deep pockets behind both shows, and some Tony nominations for the first. They will both last as long as their backers want.

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#24Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 7:04pm

Summer is pulling in big money numbers for name recognition. I think it will be okay for a bit. At least the summer. Margaritaville, however, is in more precarious spot as it started looking strong but now that the diehard fans have gotten through it, it's not gonna get many others unless they shell out for a performance without nominations (because there is NO WAY it's getting a best Musical nomination) and that performance ups their advance, I can't see them lasting past the summer.

If Once on This Island can wow with a performance (they would be smart to feature Alex as he is the most recognizable face to the theatre world outsiders that might tune in to watch) or somehow topple the big budget revivals to actually win revival (hoping the underdog gets it this time, still not over Falsettos), it will be okay through maybe the holiday season... but without killing it one advance sales, it will shutter fast post Tonys.

Not that is matters much, the one that needs nominations the most is actually Children of a Lesser God. It needs to pull a shocking amount of nominations tomorrow to prevent a closing posting before the Tonys if not directly after.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#25Who is closing post tony nominations?
Posted: 5/1/18 at 7:45pm

Though blasted by critics and 'serious theater goers', SUMMER seems to be a hit with fans, tourists and casual theater-goers. On other forums there has been very good 'word of mouth'. Again, they're not exactly looking for a powerful story - they're wanting a fun night out at the theater when in New York. This fills the bill. As one person pointed out - "Wicked" was torn apart by critics and serious theater-goers when it first opened at the end of 2003. Now !5 years later....

Videos