pixeltracker

Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread- Page 4

Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#75Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 9:36am

adamgreer said: "Was there really such a dearth of possible nominees in Leading Actor in a Musical that they could only muster up 4 nominees? They must have really wanted to keep some people out!"

There were actually only five eligible actors this season. The one they shut out was Paul Alexander Nolan in Margaritaville.

What I'm more surprised by that they felt a need for six nominees in Leading Actress in a Musical. They really couldn't have picked between LaChanze and Mueller for that last slot? Really?

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#76Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 9:37am

So Angels in America is now the most nominated play in history with 11, right?

Sad for James though. I've seen both performance and he was far better than Cera, and even Tyree. I liked Lobby Hero though. Hopefully Angels can sweep the acting awards (except actress ofcourse) and can snag one or two technical awards from HP

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#77Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 9:39am

broadwaynerdnewbie said: "I was surprised by the Amy Schumer nod myself"

Hollywoodites get nominated so the telecast can get its ratings.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#78Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 9:39am

VotePeron said: "And all of you surprised about the OOTI shut out..."

Shut out?  We must have different definitions of those words.  I’m excited for Hailey, and of course no surprise it is nominated for Best Revival, but I thought Alex was a lock and really should have not just been nominated, but ultimately won.  

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#79Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 9:41am

Well it's not that they "picked", the vote tally between the 5th and 6th nominees was so thin that they both got in. Happened a few years ago with Featured Actor in a Play.

Alex Newell not being nominated actually has me upset. How was Gemignani nominated when they cut half his material?

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND not being nominated for Choreography is also a joke.

That being said, a lot of these are great.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

rattleNwoolypenguin
#80Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 9:41am

All those great shows from last year shut out by Dear Evan Hansen that should have waited and opened this year.

Ugh, it just hurts.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#81Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 9:42am

I wish they'd had six nominees for Leading Actress in a Musical last season, so Christy Altomare could've gotten in...

CoercedBull Profile Photo
CoercedBull
#82Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 9:55am

I am just so, so glad that Gough, Garfield, and Lane are all in line to get Tonys. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for those three most of all.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#83Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 9:57am

BroadwayRox3588 said: "I wish they'd had six nominees for Leading Actress in a Musical last season, so Christy Altomare could've gotten in..."

It all comes down to how close the votes are. There didn't have to be six. If her votes had been closer to the 5th-place nominee, she would have been nominated.

My guess is LaChanze and Taylor Louderman were the 5th and 6th place nominees this year who caused there to be a tie.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#84Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:02am

I'm delighted with all the Mean Girls, SpongeBob, Angels in America, and My Fair Lady love and having six nominees in Leading Actress in a Musical is a pretty interesting choice. But I will say that I hope next season is better when it comes to new musicals.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#85Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:23am

I can only think that if COME FROM AWAY had opened this season they would have easily won Best Musical.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#86Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:23am

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "All those great shows from last year shut out by Dear Evan Hansenthat should have waited andopened this year.

Ugh, it just hurts.
"

Come From Away would have won this season. The agony of if all when the nominees are almost all tied to IPs. 

Gizmo6
#87Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:24am

I just don’t see Garfield over Urie.

The only thing I give Garfield is in a Brechtian sense he was showing the role where Urie was Arnold.

Ultimately for me it’s reward the straight for going gay.

Impossible2
#88Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:27am

YYYYAAAAAAAAASSTD grab those noms Spongebob!

Dollypop
#89Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:28am

I guess I've been in a DOLLY-induced "personal haze" that it wasn't until I looked over the Tony nominations that I realized what a lean season we had.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

fosca3 Profile Photo
fosca3
#90Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:30am

I'm so happy to see SUSAN BROWN nominated for Best Featured for Angels in America.  She was one of my favorite parts, I thought she gave each of her characters the perfect touch.  I'll have my champagne ready on Tony Nite, just in case  

You don't go to the dragon without a present - Mark Rylance

broadwayboy223
#91Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:31am

Super surprised by all the carousel nods and Summer nods. Sad Kenita Miller wasnt nominated. Frozen really shouldn't be nominated for best score, book or musical IMO...

benwilsonn.xo
#92Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:33am

NO ALEX NEWELL! THIS HAS GOT TO BE SOME SORT OF JOKE!

Impossible2
#93Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:35am

The only glaring omission is McArdle.

He SHOULD be nominated and he SHOULD have won!

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#94Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:36am

I’m sorry for my snippy comment about the McPhee thing. I understand everyone has their own opinion and I should respect that. I didn’t mean to be condescending or rude! What happens when I wake up too early for Broadway...

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#95Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:39am

BroadwayConcierge said: "adamgreer said: "Was there really such a dearth of possible nominees in Leading Actor in a Musical that they could only muster up 4 nominees? They must have really wanted to keep some people out!"

There were actually only five eligible actors this season. The one they shut out was Paul Alexander Nolan inMargaritaville.

What I'm more surprised by that they felt a need for six nominees in Leading Actress in a Musical. They really couldn't have picked between LaChanze and Mueller for that last slot? Really?
"

You're assuming it wasn't between LaChanze and Mueller Louderman and Kilgore.

Alex Newell's absence is absolute nonsense. McArdle I'm personally okay not having up there. Lee Pace, not so much - he's doing exceptional work. But that just goes to show how subjective these nominations have to be. All of us found different things about these performances good. Cera impressed a bunch of people, clearly.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#96Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:40am

some of you think Come From Away would beat The Band’s Visit? Uhh, really??

(Insert Clever Name) Profile Photo
(Insert Clever Name)
#97Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:40am

Personally, after seeing OOTI only last Sunday, I didn't think Newall was that impressive, but that's my personal opinion. I also wish that CFA had just stuck it out and come and swept this season, even last season, it deserved more tony love. Honestly, I think CFA is better than Hansen, but sometimes Tonys have to engage the young teenage fanbase.

Impossible2
#98Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:43am

(Insert Clever Name) said: "Personally, after seeing OOTI only last Sunday, I didn't think Newall was that impressive, but that'smy personalopinion."

Agreed, didn't make an impression on me at all either.

10086sunset
#99Official 2018 TONY Nominations Thread
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:45am

broadwaynerdnewbie said: "I was surprised by the Amy Schumer nod myself"

Yeah. I fully agree.

Guess they wanted a famous name on the telecast. That is the only logic I can make of it.