pixeltracker

HEAD OVER HEELS Previews- Page 3

HEAD OVER HEELS Previews

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#50HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 10:01pm

Jesus, y’all are a bunch of bitter bitches.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#51HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 10:15pm

Bwayfan292 said: "Just watching the Curtain Call video makes me not want to see this. Can they just bow. Not everything needs to be so extra."

Are you referring to Peppermint's speech or something else? I thought her speech was lovely and fun. What's the problem?

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#52HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 10:18pm

Never mind! I just saw the bows on Instagram and yes, they are a little extra. But I guess it fits with the show?

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#53HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 10:51pm

Aren't most curtain calls on opening nights (or first preview) a little excessive and over the top? The cast is probably ecstatic to have reached that point and got through the first performance. And the audience is likely filled or papered with friends, family, and industry folks, so audience, cast, and orchestra are all feeding off each other. 

Tom5
#54HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 11:02pm

,,,maybe The Bell Jar, but not this show. I liked it.

perfectliar
#55HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 12:23am

Bwayfan292 said: "Just watching the Curtain Call video makes me not want to see this. Can they just bow. Not everything needs to be so extra. "

Why are you all acting like this is the first ever choreographed curtain call? 

charityhopevalentine2 Profile Photo
charityhopevalentine2
#56HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 1:47am

Bwayfan292 said: "Just watching the Curtain Call video makes me not want to see this. Can they just bow. Not everything needs to be so extra."

It's supposed to be a fun show....

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#57HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 7:48am

loved this when i saw it in SF

highly recommended  

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#58HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 4:58pm

Those vouging bows were not done n SF as I recall

But i think it's a cool.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#59HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 7:27pm

God I loved this show. What a blast, flaws and all. 

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#60HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 7:44pm

Alexandra Socha is out tonight. Samantha Pollino is on for her. Was she out of the First preview? Strange. Definitely haven’t seen an understudy this early in preview before

taylortrensch Profile Photo
taylortrensch
#61HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 7:44pm

I figured this was the best place to ask - is rush exclusive to TodayTix? Or can you purchase rush tix from the box office?

don't message me thinking im taylor trensch?? what would he be doing on bww?? you can't possibly be that dumb bye

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#62HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 8:36pm

VotePeron said: "Alexandra Socha is out tonight. Samantha Pollino is on for her. Was she out of the First preview? Strange. Definitely haven’t seen an understudy this early in preview before"

I'm almost positive (via social media postings) that Alexandra Socha was at the first preview. Hope all is well with her, really enjoyed her in the San Francisco run. 

@z5
#63HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 9:34pm

I was at the first preview and the entire cast was in, including Socha.

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#64HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 9:44pm

Tonight’s preview is sold out.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#65HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 10:47pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Intermission now. That was a very long first act. The audience is absolutely eating it up but I really want to go home. Besides Peppermint who’s been onstage for maybe 10 minutes so far and the ALWAYS incredible Rachel York, nothing on that stage is holding my interest. It’s as if the show was directed so that most of thesongs need to all be sung in a way to elicit a chorus of “YAAAAS QUEEN” from the audience. I’m just so confused by the entire thing.

"YAAAAS Queen" ??? No Thank you! 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#66HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 10:48pm

HeyMrMusic said: "Peppermint is a NYC drag queen who’s been around for a while before making it big on the national level as the runner-up of RuPaul’s Drag Race season 9. She’s also a trans performer, so her performing in this show on Broadway is something to celebrate."

That's why I've never heard of her!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#67HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 11:20pm

Wow. Who would ever have guessed that Rachel York’s role in Disaster would seem like, well Shakespeare, compared to this. 

My biggest problem (of many) was that I just didn’t care about any of the characters or their fates. Even in a show that’s just supposed to be “fluffy” and “fun,” you still have to be able to become invested in the goings on of the play and unfortunately I couldn’t bring myself to care about anything. 

There’s lots of camp and cringe in the book, but the songs for the most part go over like a lead balloon. You quickly realize how few recognizable hits the Go-Go’s actually had. Aside from We Got the Beat, Vacation, Our Lips Are Sealed and Heaven Is a Place on Earth the rest of the “score” sounds like material that couldn’t even make the B-side. 

It’s never going to be easy trying to force a story out of songs, instead of allowing the songs to spring from the story, but they did an especially bad job here. Stuff like Vacation is SO shoehorned in; Our Lips Are Sealed is the one exception that mostly works. 

York is given nothing to do. The women doesn’t even have a solo! For show that has gay men on the creative team and proudly celebrates queerness in many ways, to forget to assign your a diva a show-stopping solo is unforgivable! Peppermint is fun, but the nature of character keeps her sidelined for much of the show and she rarely gets to interact with the rest of the cast. In some ways, she’s like the Arachne of Head Over Heels. 

I liked Andrew Durand the best. He was probably given the most to work with and made the most of it. 

I appreciated that they used real sets and not projections. I was afraid that the show would feel really cheap, like something that belonged at New World Stages, and while it still might play better there, whatever budget they had, they used wisely. 

In order fit We Got the Beat into the plot, there was this stop prophecy that the kingdom would lose the beat or whatever, and there was all this talk about “the beat.” I couldn’t stop thinking the whole time about “You Can’t Stop the Beat” and what a superior song and what a superior musical Hairspray is. 

Believe it or not, but I genuinely feel about not liking this show. It unabashedly celebrates queerness in all its forms in ways that few Broadway ever do. The message is in the right place, but the craft is not there. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#68HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 11:38pm

So this is like a go-to-happy-hour before kind of show.

WhizzerMarvin
#69HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 11:44pm

I would say so. It also felt really long. While I wouldn’t categorize this strictly as a spoof, it does have elements thereof, and like the proverbial SNL skit drawn out for two and a half hours, well...Head Over Heels is two and a half hours long. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#70HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 11:45pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "Wow. Who would ever have guessed that Rachel York’s role in Disaster would seem like, well Shakespeare, compared to this.

My biggest problem (of many) was that I just didn’t care about any of the characters or their fates. Even in a show that’s just supposed to be “fluffy” and “fun,” you still have to be able to become invested in the goings on of the play and unfortunately I couldn’t bring myself to care about anything.

There’s lots of camp and cringe in the book, but the songs for the most part go over like a lead balloon. You quickly realize how few recognizable hits the Go-Go’s actually had. Aside from We Got the Beat, Vacation, Our Lips Are Sealed and Heaven Is a Place on Earth the rest of the “score” sounds like material that couldn’t even make the B-side.

It’s never going to be easy trying to force a story out of songs, instead of allowing the songs to spring from the story, but they did an especially bad job here. Stuff like Vacation is SO shoehorned in; Our Lips Are Sealed is the one exception that mostly works.

York is given nothing to do. The women doesn’t even have a solo! For show that has gay men on the creative team and proudly celebrates queerness in many ways, to forget to assign your a diva a show-stopping solo is unforgivable! Peppermint is fun, but the nature of character keeps her sidelined for much of the show and she rarely gets to interact with the rest of the cast. In some ways, she’s like the Arachne of Head Over Heels.

I liked Andrew Durand the best. He was probably given the most to work with and made the most of it.

I appreciated that they used real sets and not projections. I was afraid that the show would feel really cheap, like something that belonged at New World Stages, and while it still might play better there, whatever budget they had, they used wisely.

In order fit We Got the Beat into the plot, there was this stop prophecy that the kingdom would lose the beat or whatever, and there was all this talk about “the beat.” I couldn’t stop thinking the whole time about “You Can’t Stop the Beat” and what a superior song and what a superior musical Hairspray is.

Believe it or not, but I genuinely feel about not liking this show. It unabashedly celebrates queerness in all its forms in ways that few Broadway ever do. The message is in the right place, but the craft is not there.
"

I was there tonight also, and I agree with everything you said. Oh and the sound mix during act 1 was terrible tonight. 

Updated On: 6/26/18 at 11:45 PM

coasterking500
#71HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/25/18 at 11:59pm

Whizzer because you mentioned it and anyone who has seen the show do they really count Heaven Is A Place on Earth? Because it’s technically not a gogos hit if my memory serves, Ms. Carlisle sang the song but after the gogos went byebye. (Don’t ask how I know that fact I blame Jeopardy)

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#72HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/26/18 at 12:00am

Thanks, Whizzer! I think I'll pass on this one as I was on the fence.

Any chance you're seeing "The Cher Show" in Chicago?

WhizzerMarvin
#73HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/26/18 at 12:09am

Coasterking, It’s true that Heaven Is a Place on Earth is NOT strictly a Go-Go’s song, but I guess any song performed collectively by the Go-Go’s or later by Carlisle was up for grabs. 

Hi CukorLover! I’ve really considered flying out to Chicago if I could find a cheap flight out there for a day, but I’ve been traveling a lot as it is and don’t know if I can fit it into my schedule :/ I’m Stephanie J. Block fan, so I wish it well and hope it can avoid some of the usual bio-musical pitfalls. I do find it very refreshing that Cher gave that interview saying the show needed work- even though she wasn’t supposed to say that, ha. Good for her! Tell it like it is. That’s what an out of town try-out is for. Being self-aware is half the battle. Have you seen it?

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#74HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/26/18 at 12:11am

coasterking500 said: "Whizzer because you mentioned it and anyone who has seen the show do theyreally count Heaven Is A Place on Earth? Because it’s technically not a gogos hit if my memory serves, Ms. Carlisle sang the song but after the gogos went byebye. (Don’t ask how I know that fact I blame Jeopardy)"

True...and Mad About You is also Belinda’s. Assuming it survived the revamping after San Francisco and is still in the show.