pixeltracker

Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews- Page 4

Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#75Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 1:37pm

It's hard to tell if that set pic is a rendering or an actual picture of the theatre.  Anyone know?

JennH
#76Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 1:48pm

Scarlet Leigh said: "On ONE hand, the set makes my eyes pop outta my head at how insanely elaborate and gorgeous it is.

On the OTHER hand, the set makes me worried that they are going to attempt to overload your sense with enough spectacle to make your head spin like, well.... the movie... and not back it up with enough substance to balance it out.

And on the last hand (because I apparently have three hands in this situation) damn I hope that windmill actually moves! I am eagerly awaiting reports in this one. I'll be stalking this topic like crazy later tonight for those few lucky first preview reports we should be getting.
"

I totally understand that trepidation, but strangely I always felt that high stylization is half of what gave that movie it's substance. Weird but true. Besides it's the MOULIN ROUGE so if it weren't a spectacle on some level, I'd be sorely offput. It may be highly stylized, but I still somehow end up caring about those characters...but I'm a tad biased considering I'm sucker anyway for the "Traviata" complex, plus the subversion of the usual "sweet female ingenue and pointed male love interest" romance. I love when it's the opposite. 

And perfect Karen is perfect as I knew she would be, and this set is ridiculous in the best way. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#77Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 1:48pm

Looks like a rendering? It’s on Derek McLane’s IG! Also hope the actual set behind the curtain is interesting! And not Spongebob. Timbers is great with visuals and his directing of Rocky was quite gorgeous. This would be pretty at the Winter Garden!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#78Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 1:50pm

It's hard to tell if that set pic is a rendering or an actual picture of the theatre.  Anyone know?

I zoomed in pretty close and this is indeed an actual photograph of the theatre.  You can see the large black speakers above the top of the proscenium and details inside the orchestra.  

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#79Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 1:52pm

Yes now I see it's a photograph (filtered within an inch of its life, at that).  

Updated On: 7/10/18 at 01:52 PM

ren598
#80Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 1:53pm

Cast members have been tweeting out the same photo saying it's an actual picture of the theater.

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#81Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 2:00pm

I'm curious if the photographer used any gels in shooting that. 

Either way, it is stunning and I have to see this.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#82Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 2:10pm

I'm curious if the photographer used any gels in shooting that. 

Either way, it is stunning and I have to see this.

Not cost effective to spend hours to light an entire theatre auditorium for a photo.  

As mentioned above, its been filtered in post but based on the overall lighting being used, its definitely the lighting that will be used when the house lights are on.  The entire auditorium has its lighting design so all the elements are intentionally lit, etc.  

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#83Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 2:26pm

That is the real set and lighting design. And yes, the windmill moves!

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#84Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 1:35pm

Really makes you wonder what we could’ve gotten from a timbers led Frozen.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Solipsist234
#85Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 1:39pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Really makes you wonder what we could’ve gotten from a timbers led Frozen."

This was my exact same thought when I saw the photo of that set! Gosh, Disney, why do you make such dumb decisions? Who knows! We probably would've gotten an ACTUAL ice castle if Timbers had directed Frozen!

barcelona20
#86Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 4:18pm

Still a lot of tickets left for tonight's first preview.  I don't understand why they haven't offered discounts.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#87Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 4:24pm

Tveit has a good picture of the tables and what I assume is the pre show

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#88Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 4:28pm

I'm going tonight, will be sure to report back! Super excited for this one!

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#89Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 4:28pm

Would be difficult to translate that into the winder garden withougt cutting those FOH drapes, Winter Garden has a lowish ceiling. the Palace would have been lovely but thats out. The thing with the Marquis is they have room and i am sure if they strip out all that wood in the ceiling they would get even more of a 'blank slate' to work with.

But the Broadway would also be nice.

I hope they will have some sort of elephant room on stage though and not try to do those scenes up there in the boxes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#90Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 4:30pm

The table seating happened months after tickets went on sale.  I find that annoying.  I bought front row to not have anyone in front of me. Anyways,  the theater is goddamn gorgeous, and I can't wait for the reviews tonight!

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#91Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 4:37pm

Yeah, the scenic design is spectacular, no pun intended, and I get why people are excited. My concern is that it will be the best thing about the show, and that's a problem. Unfortunately, I love the movie so much that I'm expecting to be disappointed, and I really hope that it has more to offer than a beautiful set.

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#92Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 5:56pm

Moderator said: "Folks,

As far as I know, the only person that works atBWW that starts threads (or even posts in them, other than moderating) is Rob, our founder and Editor-in-Chief, who posts the weekly grosses. Beyond that, I don't believe that any BroadwayWorld employees are active on the boards.

A Richard Ridge posted to a thread recently--blank--then removed the entire post, name included--didn't think that possible---just saying.

Can't wait to read reviews on Moulin Rouge--that theatre looks amazing !

ren598
#93Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 7:31pm

They have poster, magnet, keychain, and 3 different t-shirts for sale. No programs yet.

ren598
#94Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 7:53pm

They also have a mug and a tote bag.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#95Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 7:54pm

Is there a song list in the playbill?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#96Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 7:59pm

There's a video on Instagram which shows the windmill spinning (preshow).

ren598
#97Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 7:59pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Is there a song list in the playbill?"

If there is, I couldn’t find it on the playbill.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#98Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 8:01pm

dramamama611 said: "Sorry, it took me longer than expected to hit post....so this is out of sync. This post is answering an above post inquiring about what to do in Boston!

There's a nice food market called Boston Public Market (not to be confused with the restaurant chain of similar name). It's all local food businesses....some for eating and some for shopping/cooking. Cheeses, fresh pasta, fudge, donuts. Not to be missed is Beantown Pastrami for a fabulous lunch.

Fanueil Hall is similar but all food stalls for eating. It can be packed, and it's definitley more touristy.

Non food things:

The aquarium, it's really lovely.

The Stuart Garner Museum is beatiful.

The Skywalk

Institute of Contemporary Art

The MFA

Mary Baker Eddy Library & Mapparium

Sam Adams Brewery (free tours)

You should be able to get to ALL of these really easily via the subway system.

"

I was one of those folks, thanks for the tips!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#99Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
Posted: 7/10/18 at 8:01pm

If someone could take a photo of the merch booth I would appreciate it so much!  Or if you buy any merch, take a photo?  Please and thank you! heart