pixeltracker

Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island- Page 2

Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#25Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/16/18 at 9:41pm

Lorna Luft would be amazing in this role, with Liza as Asaka.

broadwayboy223
#26Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/16/18 at 10:56pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Lorna Luft would be amazing in this role, with Liza as Asaka. "

This is GOLD. Sorry for Hailey, but excited for Loren!!! She sings the SH*T out of the score 

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#27Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/16/18 at 11:05pm

Rainah said: "Oh jeez, I hope it heals up well and doesn't negatively impact her long term (either in health ways or career ways) especially as it seems like she broke her foot onstage and still finished the show. That's metal af"

I was wondering at what point did it happen and how she got through to the end. I can't even imagine.

But I was also vaguely reminded of the Laura Benanti Into The Woods drama from so long ago. Except this time around, we know about the injury and Kilgore's not being drawn as an unprofessional who just doesn't show up to work. 

natashalost
#28Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/16/18 at 11:38pm

Loren is a brilliant Ti Moune. She's full of energy, has a powerhouse voice, and is a perfect fit for the role. Already booked a return to see her again! 

LarryD2
#29Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 3:26am

Not to sound shady, but wasn’t Hailey already missing a fair amount of performances before this? I saw the show twice, once in April and once in June (right before the Tonys), and she was out both times. I’ve heard from lots of friends about her being out when they saw the show. I’m not doubting the severity of her injury now and I wish her a speedy recovery, but it seems like she was having attendance problems that predate her current situation.

7thbighero
#30Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 8:49am

EllieRose2 said: "So both Hailey and Isaac are out this week. That's unfortunate for the audience, I wonder who goes on for Daniel when he isn't there."

I saw the show last night and Tyler Hardwick, who was excellent, went on for Daniel

Updated On: 7/17/18 at 08:49 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#31Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 9:31am

EllieRose2 said: "So both Hailey and Isaac are out this week. That's unfortunate for the audience, I wonder who goes on for Daniel when he isn't there."

The vast majority of the audience for this show has no idea who Hailey Kilgore or Isaac Powell are and won’t be bothered in the least that they’re out. 

nikkitax
#32Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 11:24am

What a shame, I wish her a fast recovery.

I saw the show  twice this month (for the first time) and I absloutey loved her as Ti Moune. The audience seemed dissapointed when  Courtnee Carter apperared on the stage instead of Hailey on July 9th.

Tyler Hardwick was in as Daniel on the 5th and I thought he was excelent, actually,  I Iiked him better than Isaac

Philip Boklyn was out both shows so I saw David Jennings as Tonton.

Updated On: 7/17/18 at 11:24 AM

RexInLights
#33Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 11:53am

I wish Hailey nothing but the best in her recovery. It sounds painful and I can't imagine the emotional toil either.

That being said, I saw Ms. Lott go on as Ti Moune a while back and thought she was absolutely wonderful. The show will be in good hands while Hailey recovers. 

Updated On: 7/17/18 at 11:53 AM

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#34Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 5:07pm

Off topic, but does anyone know if Merle stage doors? Can't wait to see Loren on a return visit- this show is really so beautiful!

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#35Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 5:41pm

"The vast majority of the audience for this show has no idea who Hailey Kilgore or Isaac Powell are and won’t be bothered in the least that they’re out."

There's no truth to that, and you can't possibly know that.  Have you been there every single week and have taken a census of who knows and who does not know them?  Nope.  A lot of people go to the theater to see a specific actor or actress.  

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#36Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 6:06pm

EllieRose2 said: ""The vast majority of the audience for this show has no idea who Hailey Kilgore or Isaac Powell are and won’t be bothered in the least that they’re out."

There's no truth to that, and you can't possibly know that. Have you been there every single week and have taken a census of who knows and who does not know them? Nope. A lot of people go to the theater to see a specific actor or actress.
"

One does not need to conduct a “census” to know that Hailey Kilgore, talented as she may be, is not a box office draw and that the vast majority of the audience couldn’t care less whether she’s in or out. You’re deluding yourself if you believe otherwise. 

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#37Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 6:19pm

No, I'm really not.  You can think whatever you want, but it's not routed in fact simply because you want it to be.  Sorry.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#38Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 6:21pm

How can you type with your arms crossed like that?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#39Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 7:03pm

I love you Lizzie.

EllieRose,  it's great that you have such adoration for these two performers. They are indeed very talented. But is anyone going to go to the box office for a refund when they're out? Probably not.  Is the majority of the audience going to care they're out? Nope.  Saying they're not stars, and they have next to 0 pull on the box office, isn't insulting them as performers. 

I love many performers who aren't stars. And I'm not insulted or defensive when someone points out that they have no box office weight.  The only name in Once on This Island that anyone out of the theatre might know is Lea Salonga, and even that's a bit iffy.  Even her absences didn't seem to affect attendance.  

"Facts are facts.."

-Monique Heart

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#40Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 7:51pm

EllieRose2 said: "No, I'm really not. You can think whatever you want, but it's not routed in fact simply because you want it to be. Sorry."

Except that it’s not. I don’t understand what you’re even trying to argue. I saw Once on this Island and very much enjoyed both Kilgore and Powell, but that doesn’t make them stars. It doesn’t mean their attendance has any effect on the box office. And that’s ok. There are very few theater stalwarts that can have that kind of effect on the box office and can produce genuine disappointment among a majority of the audience when they’re out. Nathan Lane is an example. Audra is another. Patti, Bernadette, Chenoweth. Not Hailey Kilgore or Isaac Powell. 

One of my favorite performers is Carolee Carmello. I’d see her in anything. While she almost never misses shows, her infrequent absences in Sweeney, Mamma Mia, The Addams Family, etc. did not produce lines around the block with people demanding refunds. I understand this. That doesn’t mean I’m not a “true fan” or that I like her less. It just means I understand the reality of how the industry works. Instead of becoming so indignant, perhaps you could learn a little from some of the more knowledgeable posters in this thread. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#41Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 8:01pm

Jesus. The reason Hailey Kilgore's absence will not affect box office sales at OOTI has nothing to do with whether she's good (she's remarkable). OOTI is not marketed as a big Above the Billboard star vehicle. Of the musicals currently running on B'way only Hello Dolly! is a big Above the Billboard star vehicle. Most other musicals have wisely gone with the "the show is the star" route. 

Ironically the big Above the Billboard star vehicles that will have refunds if people call out are mostly the plays. For instance in Angels in America I don't think Lane or Garfield ever missed a show but had they missed people would have wanted refunds. Same with Glenda Jackson and Laurie Metcalf in Three Tall Women (they never missed a show either). 

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#42Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 8:47pm

Apparently stars these days to younger people are those active on social media and respond to DM’s?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#43Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 10:10pm

I saw the show with Loren back in January and she was amazing! I went with a few friends unfamiliar with the show and they didn't even realize the main lead that performance was the understudy (Loren!) I wish her the best and also wish Hailey the best as well. 

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#44Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/17/18 at 10:46pm

I think you’re all correct that Ms. Kilgore’s absence won’t affect box office now but earlier in the run, for those who follow theatre news, there would have been some who would have been disappointed if she wasn’t playing. The producers of this production made a big deal in their auditioning hundreds of actresses for this part. I read many puff pieces on how they were looking for an unknown and how they found this “find” who had virtually no stage experience. I for one wanted to see who they could have found to top LaChanze in the original production. They didn’t top her, I think, but Ms. Kilgore brought a fresh and exciting energy to the part. I hope she recovers soon and am sure her replacement will keep things running smoothly from what you all have posted here.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#45Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/18/18 at 12:53am

Phillytheatreguy10 said: "Off topic, but does anyone know if Merle stage doors? Can't wait to see Loren on a return visit- this show is really so beautiful!"

She didn’t last night, and was lovely. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

BroadwayMan5
#46Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/18/18 at 1:19am

I saw Courtnee Carter when I was there and thought she was fantastic. I think this is a show that can pretty easily hold up strongly when people are out.

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#47Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/18/18 at 10:04am

When I first saw it, Courtnee was on and killed it! additionally, there were 4 others out including Alex, and honestly I felt like I got the full experience- the talent bench is deep there and the show definitely holds up if people are out.

seanmcdonagh121
#48Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/22/18 at 10:59am

I won the lotto yesterday (well I won by default as they had 50 lotto tickets available which covered the entire crowd) and I thoroughly loved this show. It's really quite beautiful and the staging is very clever. The theatre was about 90% full which was disappointing to see as the show deserves a long run but I'm happy I got the chance to see it. Loren was on and she was fantastic, truly couldn't fault her. Alex killed his performance of 'Mama Will Provide' and there's something about this cast that just drew me in. They truly seem like a family. I'll definitely be back to see this show soon. 

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#49Loren Lott to Lead Once On This Island
Posted: 7/22/18 at 6:44pm

You know, it is just baffling to me this production doesn't have female understudies for Papa Ge. At least it didn't when It opened and that seems to still be the case. I can understand maybe not having a spare male actor on hand who can nail "Mamma will Provide", but Papa Ge has no such vocal challanges and if Dandridge goes out, the dynamic of those scenes shift in a big way with a male actor. Any thoughts on this?