pixeltracker

PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews- Page 2

PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews

jdln1973
#25PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 1:38pm

My husband rushed this morning and was 8th in line at about 9:40 AM (right after the article came out). We got front row center for tonight. 

While the box office attendant was swiping his card, a male attendant came up to her and said RUSH should be partial view to which she responded 'Whoops'! 

So we may have gotten lucky that this was the first rush...

Updated On: 7/20/18 at 01:38 PM

Broadwaywest Profile Photo
Broadwaywest
#26PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 2:01pm

Im super curious how this will be received as well. I didn't find it the huge disaster that others have proclaimed, when I saw it in Chicago. I thought Samantha Barks was very winning and charismatic, you couldn't help but fall in love with her. I do hope she has better chemistry with Andy Karl then she did with Steve Kazee...who appeared to be sleep walking through this thing. But I did love Jerry Mitchell's staging, the Opera scene was the highlight, where the show felt like it reached into magical theatrical heights. Yeah the score is genric and not great, and the story is the film. What I am hoping for is that this show does for Samantha Barks what the film did for Juila Roberts.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#27PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 2:04pm

The stage for this show is very high so front row might indeed be considered partial view. If you're tall it might be OK, but if you are short it will be tough to see a lot of the stage.

I was also at the invited dress last night (sat 2nd row center, which was a great view, but I'd say 3rd & back are better.) I highly enjoyed it! Especially Eric Anderson in the Hector Elizando role.

For whoever said the logo looks like Billy Elliott, it's the same exact logo as the film...

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#28PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 2:52pm

Cape Twirl of Doom said: "For whoever said the logo looks like Billy Elliott, it's the same exact logo as the film..."

Actually, not quite.  A Look at the Pretty Woman Logo

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#29PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 5:28pm

Have a great time tonight for anyone who is going!

Updated On: 7/20/18 at 05:28 PM

ddenoff2 Profile Photo
ddenoff2
#30PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 6:25pm

regarding title treatment (logo), Pretty Woman was a 1990 film. Billy Elliot musical was 2005. who copied who? I think PW musical is just being consistent with the 1990 worldwide brand

Updated On: 7/21/18 at 06:25 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#31PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 6:29pm

I agree the opera scene was my favorite part of the show in Chicago and probably the only redeemable part.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#32PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 7:19pm

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 2/20/19 at 07:19 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#33PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 7:22pm

Yes, that certainly makes you biased, and I'm sure everyone appreciates your honesty/disclosure.  That being said, just let the work speak for itself.  The best way, really.  And while I get that you are seeing a lot of questions/negativity, I assure you that the overwhelming majority of these people will allow themselves to be won over if the show is done well.

While I have mixed feelings about the basic storyline, I'm looking forward to seeing this next month.

Break a leg.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

angoradebs
#34PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 8:53pm

JSquared2 said: "I sat near the end of rows C and then D on house right (a few seats in from the aisle). I don’t feel that I missed much, if anything. I would be wary of seats that are far house left since you may miss some important scenes, including the final scene between Edward and Vivian. Front row mezz should be perfect."

Well, shoot. Wish I'd known this before I bought my tickets for far house left (the last 2 seats in row F). I almost bought far right Row D but thought that would be too close and make the angle too extreme. Hopefully I can still see everything. I'm travelling to NYC specifically to see Cursed Child, and was happy to see that Pretty Woman would start in time for me to see it. It's not the best movie, but I loved it growing up. And I'm a huge fan of Garry Marshall (my username is actually taken from Laverne & Shirley). Does anyone know how involved he was able to be before his passing? I wasn't able to find much. Wikipedia just mentions he was attached to write the book, and then after he passed away they decided to continue.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#35PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 8:57pm

angoradebs said: "JSquared2 said: "I sat near the end of rows C and then D on house right (a few seats in from the aisle). I don’t feel that I missed much, if anything. I would be wary of seats that are far house left since you may miss some important scenes, including the final scene between Edward and Vivian. Front row mezz should be perfect."

Well, shoot. Wish I'd known this before I bought my tickets forfar house left (the last 2 seats in row F). I almost bought far right Row D but thought that would be too close and make the angle too extreme. Hopefully I can still see everything. I'm travelling to NYC specifically to see Cursed Child, and was happy to see that Pretty Woman would start in time for me to see it. It's not the best movie, but I loved it growing up. And I'm a huge fan of Garry Marshall (my username is actually taken from Laverne & Shirley). Does anyone know how involved he was able to be before his passing? I wasn't able to find much. Wikipedia just mentions he was attached to write the book, and then after he passed away they decided to continue.
"

If you'd like to switch your tickets, Ticketmaster will allow an exchange.

UncleCharlie
#36PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 9:21pm

ddenoff2 said: "1 regarding title treatment (logo), Pretty Woman was a 1990 film. Billy Elliot musical was 2005. who copied who? PW musical is just being consistent with the 1990 worldwide brand

2. I’m biased. I’m a coproducer on this musical and Garry Marshall was a lifelong family friend. That said, the show is exceeding entertaining, Samantha Barks is Broadway’s brightest new star, and the chemistry between her and Andy Karl is palpable. He’s the perfect choice.

3. Jason, Orfeh, Eric and the rest of the cast are all brilliant and fun

4. Maestro Mitchell made changes since chicago and will continue to make magic in previews. That’s what we do as you know

Art is art and if you prefer DEH over PW, that’s your choice. i’ll be happy seeing PW every night (give or take) for the next few years !

"

Your father and Bill Persky are TV comedy legends. Glad you're a part of this board.

Having said that, it's great and fully expected for you to be a strong advocate of the show, tell us you're very proud of it and expecting it to be a big hit. But over the top superlatives like proclaiming someone Broadway's brightest new star or calling Andy Karl (who most here love and are rooting for) the perfect choice when everyone knows he replaced your original choice barely 2 months ago will, with the knowledgeable and somewhat cynical people on this board (myself included at least for the cynical part) probably have the opposite effect of the one you intend. Regardless, I plan to see it and wish you much success with it.

ArtMan
#37PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 9:26pm

What is the rush policy?  I can't find it anywhere.

angoradebs
#38PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 9:41pm

CT2NYC said: 
If you'd like to switch your tickets, Ticketmaster will allow an exchange."

Thanks for the tip. I did a ticketmaster chat, and they said they could only do it over the phone, and that there would be a $10 fee per ticket. The tickets were already more than we were hoping to pay, even with the discount code, so we'll stick with our seats. I'm sure we'll have fun regardless!

yvr604
#39PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 10:24pm

ArtMan said: "What is the rush policy? I can't find it anywhere."

From the site:

"RUSH TICKETS

A limited number of $42 tickets will be released at the Nederlander Theatre box office for day-of performances when the box office opens. Seating locations are at the discretion of the theatre box office, and may be partial view. Rush tickets can be purchased with cash or credit cards."

ArtMan
#40PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 10:54pm

Thank you for the info, yyvr604.  I looked at all the usual places except for their site.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#41PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 11:15pm

I just got home from this. It’s one of my all time favorite movies so I was actually looking forward to it. I didn’t hate it and I didn’t love it. It suffers from “Why-Is-This-A-Musical Syndrome”. It’s basically the film script with some tweaks and music that’s “fine”, including a song (maybe two?) that’s just film dialogue set to music. Andy is good but he doesn’t have too much to do, really. All his songs seemed to be these introspective “Who Am I/I Need To Change” songs, and they all kind of sounded the same to me. Samantha is charming and cute but her biggest problem is the script. Like I said, it’s basically the film script so she just works overtime trying to say the lines differently from how Julia said them. I mean, I don’t really know what else to say. I left the theater wanting to watch the movie, which I think I’ll do after The Great British Baking Show.

Ravenclaw
#42PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 11:25pm

Would anyone mind posting a song list? I'm curious what (if anything) has been added/cut since Chicago. I found much of the show in Chicago incredibly bad, but I genuinely hope it has been improving.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#43PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 11:39pm

I’m just getting home from the first preview and I have to say my overall feelings are positive. I do think this has the ability to run and be a hit; although there’s nothing ambitious or innovative about Pretty Woman, it’s far better than either Head Over Heels or Gettin’ the Band Back Together. 

Let’s do the good news first. I didn’t like Samantha Barks. I LOVED Samantha Barks. The woman has all the charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent one needs to be Broadway’s fab superstar. Plus, she’s an absolute knockout in all the costumes. She’s forced to say all of Julia Roberts’ lines, but she gives anything but an imitation performance. The advertising is all about replicating the movie, and in many ways (the book especially), it is a reproduction, but Barks elevates the whole the evening and deserves the lion’s share of the credit for the show’s success. 

One of the major complaints I heard from Chicago was about Kazee’s performance and his lack of chemistry with Barks. Well, Andy Karl does not have the same chemistry issue and the love scenes were steamy. I still believe Karl deserved the Tony for Groundhog Day and I’m always happy to see him back in leading man status where he belongs. He is really channeling Bryan Adams with his vocals here. Despite his material being lackluster, he comes off well.

Eric Anderson is a scene stealer in multiple roles; Orfeh is, well Orfeh, but she’s a lot of fun and she should seriously consider keeping her wig as her regular hairstyle, because it was awesome. Jason Danieley has nothing to do, but he has the crappy villain role and no one wants to spend time with that character anyway. 

Lots of money was spent on this show. The sets, costumes, lighting- all wows. People won’t feel ripped off with cheap projections and ratty wigs. 

So, if the cast and technical aspects are great, the rest falls short. Mitchell has never been the most inspired director, but he knows how to keep things zipping right along. All the dance moves you image will be included are there and the whole thing ends on a somewhat bizarre production number reminiscent of the Kinky Boots finale. If ever a show needed a sweet ending with just the two of them a la Hello, Dolly, this is it- but that’s not how things go in a Mitchell production! Viv’s hooker pals throw confetti and dance around because that’s what gets people on their feet and clapping along in the aisles. 

The book is the screenplay. It’s the same lines we’ve heard a million times and seen parodied in pop culture a million times after that. Yawn

The score is the weakest link though. It’s not terrible by any stretch. I would describe it as competent. The melodies are often tuneful, but the lyrics aren’t anything to write home about. It’s all generic to the max. Barks’ first number, “Anywhere But Here,” could be from any musical with a female lead. Even the song titles are generic: Anywhere But Here, On a Night Like Tonight, Don’t Forget to Dance, This is My Life, You and I, I Can’t Go Back, Long Way Home. Trust me, if it weren’t for the cast working their asses off and being so damn wonderful I could have easily turned on this show. It’s disappointing when the worst part of a new musical is the music, but I was on such a Barks high that I didn’t care. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#44PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/20/18 at 11:56pm

Good for Samantha Barks. I've always liked her, and folks (in general and on these forums) had been saying harsh things like that her career was over, etc....

Whizzer, have I ever asked how you manage to see so many shows? And are always at 1st previews? I could go for your life...lol

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

robskynyc
#45PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/21/18 at 12:09am

Whizzer. Youre a godsend. always look forward to your reviews <3

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#46PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/21/18 at 12:13am

robskynyc said: "Whizzer. Youre a godsend. always look forward to your reviews <3

Amen! Whizzer, I was waiting on your review before I bought tickets to this one (needed to make sure it wasn’t an unmitigated disaster!). Thank you as always. 

stephimarie Profile Photo
stephimarie
#47PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/21/18 at 12:14am

Ravenclaw said: "Would anyone mind posting a song list? I'm curious what (if anything) has been added/cut since Chicago. I found much of the show in Chicago incredibly bad, but I genuinely hope it has been improving."

It's exactly the same. A few lyric changes but all the same songs that were there for Chicago opening are still there now.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#48PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/21/18 at 12:20am

And really, not having the song “Pretty Woman” in this is just unforgivable.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#49PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/21/18 at 12:25am

Dafrick?! Even SHREK THE MUSICAL was smart enough to put "I'm a Believer" in there...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com