pixeltracker

Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady- Page 2

Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#25Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 3:13pm

The tweet in and of itself is disrespectful to Rigg and essentially undercuts the message it's trying to convey by in turn attacking her stance.  She is from another era and is a living legend- the production was lucky to have her in a thankless role.  I'm 98% positive this board is making more out of the situation where there is none.  Her contract was short, it was documented from the beginning as the poster above noted, so while coincidental, I doubt she'd succumb to any drama or that she'd be terminated given her status in the biz. Casts change, moving on...

Updated On: 7/18/18 at 03:13 PM

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#26Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 3:45pm

OK I'm a prude so why all those Fs........?  Not necessary and not funny--'look at me, I can say the F word'.

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#27Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 3:52pm

Elighten me since I don't follow the show much, but does she bring something to her character that others wouldn't ever duplicate? Because if so I may just go see this with her opposed to waiting for it to be on TKTs!

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#28Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 3:54pm

^^She is in the show for approximately eight minutes and does not sing. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#29Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 4:01pm

There is no need to rush to see her performance -- I think 8 minutes sounds generous.  (I'm a fan of Rigg, so I'm glad to have seen her but not if it was the ONLY reason I saw the show.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#30Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 4:05pm

You know what's unprofessional? Talking to the press about issues you have with another cast member. This is entertainment. No one has to be friends and get along. Did the Hamilton OBC get along? Did the Sex and the City actresses get along? Did Bstte Davis and Joan Crawford? No no and no. But they got over it and worked together. No reason why Diana Rigg could not have done the same. And I say that as someone who thinks Lady Oleanna is a goddess.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#31Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 4:05pm

You know what's unprofessional? Talking to the press about issues you have with another cast member. This is entertainment. No one has to be friends and get along. Did the Hamilton OBC get along? Did the Sex and the City actresses get along? Did Bstte Davis and Joan Crawford? No no and no. But they got over it and worked together. No reason why Diana Rigg could not have done the same. And I say that as someone who thinks Lady Oleanna is a goddess.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#32Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 4:07pm

The Hamilton OBC didn't get on? Is this common knowledge? Who and why?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#33Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 4:09pm

qolbinau said: "The Hamilton OBC didn't get on? Is this common knowledge? Who and why?"

Leslie Odom Jr. And Javier Munoz have made no bones about the fact that there was a fierce money dispute.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#34Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 4:11pm

poisonivy2 said: "Leslie Odom Jr. And Javier Munoz have made no bones about the fact that there was a fierce money dispute."

That was between the cast and management though, no? Not between co-stars...

VintageSnarker
#35Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 4:53pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "

Takeaway from all this: ride out your contractbefore you diss your teammates.
"

She doesn't need My Fair Lady.

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#36Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 5:03pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "poisonivy2 said: "Leslie Odom Jr. And Javier Munoz have made no bones about the fact that there was a fierce money dispute."

"

I believe there was tension between LMM and Leslie, as well. Not sure if this is the same thing, but they are not the closest of friends.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#37Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 5:54pm

Elegance101 said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "poisonivy2 said: "Leslie Odom Jr. And Javier Munoz have made no bones about the fact that there was a fierce money dispute."

"

I believe there was tension between LMM and Leslie, as well. Not sure if this is the same thing, but they are not the closest of friends.
"

Here's a pretty good account of the fighting over money that eventually led to tensions with LMM as well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-hamilton-broadway-profit/

But you know what? By that time the OBC cast had made the producers rich men, and they had devoted a big chunk of their lives to the show. And they didn't run to Mr. Riedel blabbing all the details of the tense money disputes. And they were 100% right. They had been a huge part of the show's success and they did deserve a bigger slice of the pie. 

And the Hamilton cast completed their contracts and as far as I know have never aired personal grievances in public. 

Miss Rigg has been working in MFL for what, less than 6 months? And she couldn;t find a more tactful and professional way of handling what seem to be personal differences with Lauren Ambrose? 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#38Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 6:02pm

I don't know about you, but I've never been at work and 100% loved everyone I work with. It's part of life, it's a fantasy if you think they are all best of friends.   And even when they do get along, MANY of those relationships disappate once they move on -- just like in most jobs.  (Not saying they don't like (respect) each other, but few end up like Groff and Michelle.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

trpguyy
#39Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 6:47pm

Maybe she couldn't handle the rigors of eight shows a week?

Dollypop
#40Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 6:59pm

Could we get Julie Andrews to replace her?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#41Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 7:02pm

I think it’s pretty obvious, given the timeline of events, that Rigg is leaving over backstage drama. Whether that drama was the news of Lauren Ambrose having an alternate or something else or something else, I don’t know. But I have never heard of someone having a 6-month contract that didn’t announce it at the outset.

Diana Rigg was forced into a situation where she could have diverted the drama or given into it. She chose to give in, and I find that incredibly distasteful. Her legacy means very little to me, as MFL is the only thing I’ve ever seen her do and it was nothing another actress could not excel at. This whole situation makes me glad to not have any love lost over it.

I loved this production and I’m sad to hear the backstage atmosphere may be less than ideal, but as others have noted (and as I have experienced in my professional life), you don’t have to love the people you work with. You just have to be professional and do your job. If they continue to do just that, so be it.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#42Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 7:09pm

Is anyone sure that the tweeter account belongs to the real Sher? It looks like an impersonator to me.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#43Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 7:14pm

newintown said: "'Cause the director is mad at her for dissing his mediocre leading lady?"

*sips tea*

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#44Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 7:18pm

The tea seems bitter.

cknick
#45Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 7:18pm

If Benanti were playing Eliza she'd be calling out left and right.  Would Rigg have commented on that?

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#46Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 7:20pm

cknick said: "If Benanti were playing Eliza she'd be calling out left and right. Would Rigg have commented on that?"

Possibly because unlike some posters here, Rigg wasn't spending months posting on a large BWW thread promoting her dream cast of MFL building up expectations nobody else built up for them only to be disappointed that they cast somebody "not famous enough" and not a "true" Broadway performer (aka the same 5-7 names cycling through every casting predictions thread when there's a soprano role up for grabs), but then Rigg has also called out a few times herself so it'd be a bit hypocritical.

Updated On: 7/18/18 at 07:20 PM

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#47Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 7:20pm

Julie Andrews replacing her would be too good to be true. Sadly, unlikely... She directed that big Australian production 2 years ago, and the Lerner&Loewe estate presumably chose Sher/LCT for the Broadway revival over her production. (Sher said in an interview that there was a bidding war of sorts with several different commercial producers to get the rights for My Fair Lady)

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#48Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 7:21pm

Dont think it is. It's not verified and all it does is retweet stuff.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#49Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 7:27pm

Delete

Updated On: 7/18/18 at 07:27 PM