pixeltracker

Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady- Page 3

Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady

After Eight
#50Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 7:50pm

SomethingPeculiar wrote:  "Sher said in an interview that there was a bidding war of sorts with several different commercial producers to get the rights for My Fair Lady)"

How I wish someone else had gotten them.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#51Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 8:04pm

It's a shame because I thought Rigg was the only good person in the entire cast.

Sunny11
#52Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 8:18pm

Does Lauren Ambrose kick puppies or something? Why all the negativity towards her?

cknick
#53Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 8:25pm

Sunny11 said: "DoesLauren Ambrose kick puppies or something? Why all the negativity towards her?"

Because she's not Laura Benanti.  

I think Ambrose is a brilliant talent and can't imagine how awful she must have felt/feels hearing fellow cast mates say those things about her.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#54Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 8:36pm

cknick said: "Sunny11 said: "DoesLauren Ambrose kick puppies or something? Why all the negativity towards her?"

Because she's not Laura Benanti.

I think Ambrose is a brilliant talent and can't imagine how awful she must have felt/feels hearing fellow cast mates say those things about her.
"

Say what, exactly? One person said they were disappointed that she wasn’t doing an 8 show week, but in the same interview called her Eliza “definitive.” She did not personally attack her and was quite complimentary about her performance. I can’t imagine Ambrose, who’s been in the acting business long enough to have heard far worse, is concerned. If she is, well then, she needs to develop a much thicker skin. 

Some of you would be amazed by the things Arthur Laurents said about, and to, people. 

Updated On: 7/18/18 at 08:36 PM

GeorgeandDot
#55Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 8:37pm

Maybe it's because she's weak in the part, IMO. She's just not good. I didn't like the production period, but she gave one of the worst and most bizarre performances that I've ever seen.

I thought Rigg was wonderful in a tiny part.

JSquared2
#56Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 8:39pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Maybe it's because she's weak in the part, IMO. She's just not good. I didn't like the production period, but she gave one of the worst and most bizarre performances that I've ever seen.

You really need to give it a rest, dude. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#57Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 8:47pm

Ambrose is utterly delightful and breathes fresh air into a role that generations of theatergoers know intimately. I’ll never understand the criticism she gets on here. One of my favorite performances of the season.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#58Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 8:48pm

JSquared2 said: "GeorgeandDot said: "Maybe it's because she's weak in the part, IMO. She's just not good. I didn't like the production period, but she gave one of the worst and most bizarre performances that I've ever seen.

"

Why does someone sharing their opinion upset you?

Broadway World's Fireman.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#59Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 8:52pm

Sondheimite said: "JSquared2 said: "GeorgeandDot said: "Maybe it's because she's weak in the part, IMO. She's just not good. I didn't like the production period, but she gave one of the worst and most bizarre performances that I've ever seen.

"

Why does someone sharing their opinion upset you?
"

Because that opinion gets more and more exaggerated and mean-spirited as time passes by and feelings outside of the actual performance affecting that opinion becomes more obvious. There's many other things going on that is making that person feel the need to always post something more and more negative about this production or one particular performer. Months ago nothing was said about Rigg, but now that Rigg criticized Ambrose a bit, but ignore the fact that she called her performance "definitive", she's now the only good part of the cast. The opinion just got more and more off the deep end. *sips tea*.

Updated On: 7/18/18 at 08:52 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#60Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 9:16pm

I’m sure Lansbury wouldn’t do it but my God, I want her to.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#61Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 9:25pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "Because that opinion gets more and more exaggerated and mean-spiritedas time passes by and feelings outside of the actual performance affecting that opinion becomes more obvious. There's many other things going on that is makingthat person feel the need to always post something more and more negative about this production or one particular performer. Months ago nothing was said about Rigg, but now that Rigg criticized Ambrose a bit, but ignore the fact that she called her performance "definitive", she's now the only good part of the cast. The opinion just got more and more off the deep end.*sips tea*."

^THIS. Posting your opinion over and over again (and exaggerating more and more each time) does not make it any more valid.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

GeorgeandDot
#62Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 9:27pm

Actually, my opinion hasn't changed. From my first review of the show I said that I didn't like the cast's take on the roles, but I did enjoy Rigg. Ambrose just doesn't have the vocal power, she doesn't fill the theatre, and she doesn't take the role on a journey. She's just boring, which is surprising because I've enjoyed her previous performances.

Go ahead and sip your cold tea, hun. Mine is piping hot.

Also, Lansbury would be divine. I doubt she would do it though, unfortunately.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#63Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 9:55pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Actually, my opinion hasn't changed."

Only the frequency with which you keep sharing it has?

GeorgeandDot
#64Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 9:59pm

Am I not allowed to share my opinion? It is in relation to the topic of this thread. I didn't realize that my opinion isn't valid. I'll make sure to share it as often as I can here just to make sure that it really drives you up the walls.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#65Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 10:01pm

Can we please stop arguing and just keep putting it out into the universe that Lansbury should do this.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#66Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 10:16pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Can we please stop arguing and just keep putting it out into the universe that Lansbury should do this."

^ Yes! THIS!

cknick
#67Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 10:19pm

Say what, exactly? One person said they were disappointed that she wasn’t doing an 8 show week, but in the same interview called her Eliza “definitive.” She did not personally attack herand was quite complimentary about her performance. I can’t imagine Ambrose, who’s been in the acting business long enough to have heard far worse, is concerned. If she is, well then, she needs to develop a much thicker skin.

Some of you would be amazed by the things Arthur Laurents said about,and to,people.
"

Good points!  I was referring more to how it must make Ambrose feel knowing it stirred all this up.  Poor wording on my part.  Then again, as you said, maybe she feels nothing!  

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#68Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 10:24pm

Blythe Danner

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#69Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/18/18 at 11:04pm

Rigg has a point about Ambrose's decision, although it isn't totally off the wall to me- vocal health is important after all   and what Ambrose is doing does not seem unprofessional. That said, Eliza Doolittle is not an incredibly difficult role to sing and although obviously the whole role is a daunting, demanding  challenge to do 8 times a week , this is BROADWAY, where everyone is expected to meet those demands.  Mary Beth Peil sums it up perfectly here: “As a 78 year old, I’m expected to do eight shows a week at the same kind of routine as the 25-year-olds in my show,”(http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/mary-beth-peil-sides-with-diana-rigg-in-my-fair-lady-dispute.html). 

UncleCharlie
#70Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 12:16am

Rigg is old school and she calls them the way she sees them and i love that. She did nothing wrong.

Rigg should have handled it privately and not thrown a co-star under the bus. That was totally inappropriate and she was wrong.

Lauren Ambrose in wonderful in a difficult, challenging role.

Lauren Ambrose sucks and that Laura Benanti didn't get the role is a damn shame.

The comments Rigg made have nothing to do with her leaving. She turns 80 on Friday and sometimes 80 year olds need to attend to things.

This is totally due to the spat and Sher's tweet was the final straw. She doesn;t need this. Good riddance.

OK, I've just tried to save the next 125 people from posting. But I know they'll post anyway which is why when Vegas set 190 responses as the over/under line for this thread, I took the over. Don't let me down people.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#71Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 1:59am

Her departure will not hurt sales. It is a show that is endearing to a wide assortment of people. I have spoken with several people who have seen the production more than once.

As I said in a previous thread; acting is all about trust and Rigg blew that when she decided to spill the beans with the NY gossip columnist. I say good riddance. 

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#72Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 2:02am

SmoothLover said: "As I said in a previous thread; acting is all about trust and Rigg blew that when she decided to spill the beans with the NY gossip columnist. I say good riddance."

I 100% agree.  It doesn't matter if you agree with Rigg or not.  Rigg hurt the dynamic of acting between two people.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#73Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 2:07am

Yeah, I don’t care what whoever thinks about Lauren Ambrose’s performance. What Diana Rigg did was unprofessional, and people here would not be making the excuses they are if she had done it to one of their Broadway soprano babes. Good riddance.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#74Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 2:40am

As UncleCharlie said, Diana Rigg turns 80 on Friday and at that age it's not hard to find personal problems suddenly arising.

Last year she underwent open heart surgery during which, she says, her heart stopped and had to be "restarted."

I'm surprised that there have been no articles or interviews showing that the two of them are best buddies again, even if just for show. Perhaps the director put a gag rule on the entire cast concerning this incident.