pixeltracker

16y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen- Page 3

16y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen

Fosse76
#5016y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 1/31/19 at 2:57pm

JBC3 said: "No, they made a factual statement about what has actually happened."

You're arguing semantics, I'm referring to the tone. They certainly didn't make a reference to Trensch being the oldest actor to have played the role. He's the third replacement in less than 14 months, it's not exactly ground-breaking.

swright1031
#5116y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 1/31/19 at 3:23pm

Sorry it took me so long to post but i was there last night and he absolutely killed it! Of the four Evans that I've seen (Ben Platt, Michael Lee Brown, Taylor Trensch and Andrew), he is second only to Ben Platt and with time I feel like his performance will only grow. While he does play the character similarly to the way that Ben Platt does, he does make the roll his own. Vocally he is very strong with "Waving through a Window" and   "If I could tell her" being standouts. He has easy chemistry with the entire cast, but particularly with Mallory Bechtel and Lisa Brescia. The only thing is that he looks noticeably young next to Alex Boniello. I did notice that he was understandably very nervous during the first scene as he was visibly shaking, although this actually worked well for the character. Overall this was an incredible debut for such a young performer and rest assured the character and the show are in very good hands! Also for those asking about Michael Park, he started laughing at one of Andrew's reactions during to break in a glove and ended up skipping a line in the song. He recovered quickly though!

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#5216y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 1/31/19 at 5:17pm

It is actually.  Not a lot of that happening in Broadway shows these days.  Wonderful accomplishment for such a young man.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#5316y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 1/31/19 at 6:58pm

Break a leg, kid. (To go along with your broken arm).

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#5416y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/1/19 at 2:59am

Might seem a strange question but with the current spate of sexual harassment episodes what 'protection' is set in place for a 16yo in the theatre work place. Don't know the age group that need supervision, eg Annie. What are the laws re a 16yo in USA?

Most states in Australia, 16 is legal age so could perform without a guardian.

RWPrincess
#5516y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/1/19 at 8:50am

I asked this question a couple days ago as well. Here in the US, there is usually a child guardian and an understudy at theater so I’ve been wondering if Michael Lee Brown is backstage when Andrew performs. I do not know what the cutoff age is though for someone to require a child guardian.

followtheneon Profile Photo
followtheneon
#5616y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/1/19 at 11:27am

HeatherAV said: "I saw on Michael Park's twitter that Michael was so engrossed in Andrew's performance that he (Michael) made a mistaken in Break in a Glove. Does anyone know what happened?"

I was there, and it honestly wasn't a huge mistake. He simply skipped a line. There was a bit of an awkward pause in the middle of a phrase, but he picked it up at the next line. I forget the exact spot it happened. It was later in the song.

musicals1989
#5716y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/1/19 at 10:45pm

RWPrincess said: "I asked this question a couple days ago as well. Here in the US, there is usually a child guardian and an understudy at theater so I’ve been wondering if Michael Lee Brown is backstage when Andrew performs. I do not know what the cutoff age is though for someone to require a child guardian."

MLB is an Alternate and understudy, so yes...he is there for every performance. There's usually a clause that says once the show starts they have to be within a certain distance of the theatre in case they are called to go on...but I don't remember the details. It's the same way for all understudies in a show like this that doesn't have on-stage understudies. 

bwaylinds Profile Photo
bwaylinds
#5816y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/1/19 at 11:24pm

musicals1989 said: "RWPrincess said: "I asked this question a couple days ago as well. Here in the US, there is usually a child guardian and an understudy at theater so I’ve been wondering if Michael Lee Brown is backstage when Andrew performs. I do not know what the cutoff age is though for someone to require a child guardian."

MLB is an Alternate and understudy, so yes...he is there for every performance. There's usually a clause that says once the show starts they have to be within a certain distance of the theatre in case they are called to go on...but I don't remember the details. It's the same way for all understudies in a show like this that doesn't have on-stage understudies.

http://www.playbill.com/article/ask-playbillcom-child-actors-on-broadway-com-148947

This article states "And, even on Broadway, for a performer who's under 16, the show is required to hire a supervisor for the child to be at the theatre at every performance." so it would appear not

"

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5916y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/2/19 at 12:08am

I don't really get why his actual age matters at all in the quality of his work. So many of you said "finally a teenager playing a teenager," but, as an actor, I find that really ludircrious. Gavin Creel was playing the lead in Book of Mormon - who is 18 - well into his late 30s. It doesn't matter. 

Sunny11
#6016y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/2/19 at 3:32am

The Quality of an actors work to an audience usually includes how they physically match the character.

In most cases there are obvious differences between a teenager and an adult in their mid twenties or thirties: height, muscle  mass, voice pitch, maturity etc.

The casting of adults to play teenagers is normally a practical decision in terms working hours and avoiding additional costs like chaperones and not about who is best for the part.

I think that the art improves if actual teenagers play those roles, as long as they have had the appropriate level of training.

Thanks to the availability of high quality youth theatre and performing arts high schools, many times you can’t tell the difference between someone who is still in high school and recent BFA graduates, skills wise.

Updated On: 2/2/19 at 03:32 AM

broadwayghost1
#6116y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/2/19 at 12:59pm

How long will Andrew be in the show? I have tickets for a Wednesday matinee in July.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#6216y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/2/19 at 1:18pm

He’s not performing Wednesday matinees currently and I would suspect it will remain that way.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#6316y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/2/19 at 3:38pm

broadwayghost1 said: "How long will Andrew be in the show? I have tickets for a Wednesday matinee in July."

Who knows...If he has a voice left by then

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

broadwayghost1
#6416y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/3/19 at 2:22pm

Thanks for the info. Telecharge let me exchange my tickets for the night performance.

Will3700 Profile Photo
Will3700
#6516y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/3/19 at 8:01pm

I have tickets for August 17 Saturday night and was also wondering if he’d still be in the cast. I thought I read somewhere that he mentioned taking a year out of his life for this role That would suggest thru the end of this year. Anyone know ???

BroadwayNoob
#6616y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/3/19 at 9:36pm

Contracts for people in shows last a year so unless he has to leave early for something, I'd expect him to be here until next January

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#6716y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/3/19 at 10:00pm

I’ve heard he’s only contracted through the Summer so time will tell.

bfreak
#6816y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/3/19 at 10:17pm

Do you know how far into the Summer? Looking to get tix

JSquared2
#6916y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/3/19 at 10:17pm

LesWickedly said: "I’ve heard he’s only contracted through the Summer so time will tell. "

You heard wrong, Blanche. 

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#7016y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/3/19 at 10:48pm

JSquared2 said: "LesWickedly said: "I’ve heard he’s only contracted through the Summer so time will tell. "

You heard wrong, Blanche.
"

Didn’t claim it was official. If you know please inform us. 

(Insert Clever Name) Profile Photo
(Insert Clever Name)
#7116y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/3/19 at 11:36pm

Because he is only 16 I would hope they only contracted him for 6 months to see if his voice holds up... the role destroyed Ben Platt who is way older than 16

RWPrincess
#7216y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/4/19 at 2:06pm

bwaylinds said: "musicals1989 said: "RWPrincess said: "I asked this question a couple days ago as well. Here in the US, there is usually a child guardian and an understudy at theater so I’ve been wondering if Michael Lee Brown is backstage when Andrew performs. I do not know what the cutoff age is though for someone to require a child guardian."

http://www.playbill.com/article/ask-playbillcom-child-actors-on-broadway-com-148947

This article states "And, even on Broadway, for a performer who's under 16, the show is required to hire a supervisor for the child to be at the theatre at every performance." so it would appear not"

Thanks for posting this article. Everything I've read so far about Andrew makes it seem like the show is overprotective of him. So I wonder if they may have a guardian anyhow even though he's already 16. At least for the first contract.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#7316y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/4/19 at 2:23pm

I wonder if he has a guardian mainly because of the severity of this role. They know the damage it has done to other performers and I think its great if they are doing all they can to protect him and his voice. No idea, but just my guess. Its also an emotionally taxing role for a 16 year old, so I feel having a guardian in this specific scenario makes sense. 

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#7416y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/4/19 at 2:23pm

I wonder if he has a guardian mainly because of the severity of this role. They know the damage it has done to other performers and I think its great if they are doing all they can to protect him and his voice. No idea, but just my guess. Its also an emotionally taxing role for a 16 year old, so I feel having a guardian in this specific scenario makes sense.