pixeltracker

SIX: THE MUSICAL ON BROADWAY- Page 4

SIX: THE MUSICAL ON BROADWAY

Impossible2
#75Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 4/3/19 at 11:48am

It'll be interesting to see if they add any extra material for Chicago to bring up the running time.

I agree with Jordan this will kill it Off Broadway and play for an age, whereas I think it'd die pretty quickly on Broadway.

Christopher Seeman Profile Photo
Christopher Seeman
#76Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/4/19 at 6:27pm

I could see it do something like The Play that Goes Wrong where it goes on Broadway for a bit then transfers to an Off-Broadway house? Next season doesn't have too many musicals right now, so it had the chance to sneak in while things are hot.

I think this could work at the Booth or the Belasco. 

Rogerdellibovi Profile Photo
Rogerdellibovi
#77Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/4/19 at 9:46pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Because Tumblr, Jordan. By the looks of it, this is suffering (benefiting) from Be More Chill syndrome."

People like a show. They think it will do well on broadway. They want it to go to broadway. It’s not that deep. 

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#78Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/4/19 at 10:23pm

I could see some cool casting for a Broadway run, in the vein of people like Shoshana Bean, Cynthia Erivo, Ashley Park, Ariana DeBose, Ana Villafane, etc. If they could get a set of well-known Broadway people and a good venue (the Hudson?), it could do well next season. It's essentially "Hamilton" meets Spice Girls, which is brilliant. So far, it would be the only musical opening eligible for Best Original Score...

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#79Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/4/19 at 11:17pm

On one hand, the show would sell well if they stacked the cast list with "big" named people and damn what a night that would be.

On the other hand, I don't know if having that many divas on a stage together would work with this particular show. Part of the loose plot in this show is that the queens are debating who should be the lead singer of their girls group and the winner will be the one that agree got burnt by Henry the worst (sidebar: it was totally one of the two Catherines) so they are trying to outdo one another BUT in the end they realize it doesn't matter anymore cus they are a group. 

So to have a bunch of really BIG names with STRONG personalities as well might cause a clash that could either play really well into that plot or could overwhelm. Not to mention woe to any understudy that has to live up to those exceptions. I feel this is more a perfect chance to feature better known within the community actresses that have not had a chance to really shine yet. Up and comers, replacements, understudies, all with strong voices. Future big names.

samtaro111
#80Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/6/19 at 10:16am

At the very least, I would expect 54 Below to do a concert version of the show if it never officially comes over to NYC.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#81Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/6/19 at 10:48am

I don’t think there is any way the production won’t come to NYC.

And I think we need a bit of perspective on what a “name” is. People like Shoshana Bean, Ashley Park and Ana Villafane aren’t the kind of massively recognized names that would disrupt the balance of the show that you are speaking of. They are basically working Broadway actors, which is what I would expect for a New York run.

It’s perhaps worth noting that a few of the queens in the London productions are locally considered ‘names’ from their appearances on various reality music competitions in the UK. The NY production casting could also go that route.

I also would t be surprised if they brought over the UK leads to open the show in NYC for a limited engagement.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

bradwalt
#82Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/6/19 at 4:01pm

There's also an announced production at American Repertory Theatre (Cambridge MA).  August 21 - Sept 27 2019 - Directed by Lucy Moss and Jamie Armitage

RagzJr
#83Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/6/19 at 4:12pm

I'm kind of [very] obsessed with this show.  I'm hoping to make it to A.R.T., but I'm supremely interested to hear who they'll cast (or if they'll be using the Chicago cast).  

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#84Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/6/19 at 4:23pm

Based on the live performances I've seen from the London cast, this feels like a glorified theme park show that's desperately clinging to the scraps from folks who liked Hamilton.

With 'names,' the show could do well, but while the buzz for this show might be huge in the West End, I don't see this doing well in NYC (or even Chicago for that matter).

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#85Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/6/19 at 4:33pm

While I would love to see that, I highly doubt it. Not cus they are not worthy or anything but cus the red tape that would been to be gone through with equity to allow it. Other actors have come with shows from the West End but there is always lots of mystery behind the deals cut with the union to allow it to happen. I don't know if it would be worth the effort for the show to make when they can just get 6 girls stateside easily.

Gizmo6
#86Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/6/19 at 8:30pm

BenjaminNicholas2 said: "Based on the live performances I've seen from the London cast, this feels like a glorified theme park show that's desperately clinging to the scraps fromfolks who liked Hamilton.

With 'names,' the show could do well, but while the buzz for this show might be huge in the West End, I don't see this doing well in NYC (or even Chicago for that matter).
"

Having seen this in London it has more heart than a theme park show. It’s a show about empowerment and the audience from all age groups lapped it up. 

Obviously it might not go down well with Broadway audiences if they want to brutalize the casting. It’s for six young early career actors and all female band. 

Its quite funny to sit at the National and discuss with strangers your favorite current shows and a small. Low budget production like this makes people feel more than All About Eve. 

I hope they go American instead of trying to replicate the U.K. accents/style. 

I think a small venue, and the story of diversity, rewriting ‘herstory ‘ empowerment and the US obsession with the royals will make this a golden ticket. 

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#87Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/6/19 at 8:45pm

At least 5 of my friends have see it when they went on various vacations to the UK, and they all rave about it. I think with the right venue, it'll be successful in NYC.

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#88Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/6/19 at 8:50pm

Not to mention that apparently the SIX cast recording is being streamed over 750,000 times a day around the world . The musical itself is a great time at the theatre with a truly excellent score. I suspect it will do well across all markets, not just London.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#89Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/6/19 at 10:09pm

I am excited to see this next week in Chicago.  Given that the ART production later this year will be done by a different team, and running time is 75 min long, I am guessing we'll get a pretty straight forward version of what is showing in the West End.  

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#90Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/6/19 at 10:22pm

Between Chicago and ART, I’d be surprised if it doesn’t end up in NYC. I’d say maybe a non/profit might pick it up, but it seems too commercial.

Um Kulthum Profile Photo
Um Kulthum
#91Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/7/19 at 11:03am

BenjaminNicholas2 said: "Based on the live performances I've seen from the London cast, this feels like a glorified theme park show that's desperately clinging to the scraps from folks who liked Hamilton.

"

I've actually seen it (in Edinburgh last summer) and I would say it's nothing like Hamilton, nor is it trying to be. People just see "historical figures + musical" and make assumptions.

The Tudors don't need any introduction or help in America– has anyone else had more movies/tv made about them? And as a longtime Tudor history buff, I'd say this is my favorite of the many pop culture representations of them. It's not perfect, but it's very clever and the music is so catchy– and women reclaiming the spotlight from the bad men in their lives is very much a 2019 mood. I'd be surprised if it's not popular here. 

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#92Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/7/19 at 11:21am

Kevin McCollum (Rent, Drowsy, Something Rotten) and his Play That Goes Wrong partner Kenny Wax are listed as being behind the ART and Chicago productions, so I would be shocked if this doesn't open at a small Shubert house within the next year.

The subject matter is totally understandable for American audiences: Henry the 8th had 6 wives, that's all you need to know! People here are probably more familiar with Henry than with Alexander Hamilton.

ALittleFallofRain Profile Photo
ALittleFallofRain
#93Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/7/19 at 11:42am

Everyone I know who saw it in London said it felt more like a show for tweens or the theme park audience. Hopefully they make some changes on the next stops. 

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#94Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/7/19 at 12:31pm

SomethingPeculiar said: 

People here are probably more familiar with Henrythan with Alexander Hamilton."

lol very that. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Rogerdellibovi Profile Photo
Rogerdellibovi
#95Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/8/19 at 12:19pm

Six has what 90% of shows currently on broadway need: an important, genuine message and theme. The only bad thing if this show came to broadway would be the Waitress style women’s restroom lines lol.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#96Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/8/19 at 1:59pm

Overall I'm curious to see the show as a whole but I wasn't sold AT ALL from the live performance of the first song they did.   But, I love everything War of the Roses/Tudor Dynasty so I still want to see it.  But........I just hope it's not just belty pop songs with no substance.  

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 5/8/19 at 01:59 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#97Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/8/19 at 2:08pm

This really seems like a show that's more at home off-Broadway than on Broadway. Broadway is not the be-all, end all, or final destination for all shows.  

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#98Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/8/19 at 2:12pm

Kad said: "This really seems like a show that's more at home off-Broadway than on Broadway. Broadway is not the be-all, end all, or final destination for all shows."

^^^^^^

Agreed.  It did well for "Altar Boyz" and I think it would do well for this. 

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#99Should SIX transfer?
Posted: 5/8/19 at 2:14pm

I was thinking the same thing, Kad. This could run at New World Stages for years, but on Broadway I'm not sure it stands a chance.