pixeltracker

Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!- Page 4

Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#75Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/7/19 at 6:46pm

Impossible2 said: "Didn't she work with him just afterhe was found NOTguilty?

It wasn't until 2 or 3 years after she worked with him that the cult sex prisoner stuff came out.

I imagine it was their shared record company that organised the duet to give him some cred back and she had little to do with any decision making.

Mike Tyson is a convicted rapist and a total lunatic and yet Madonna had him all over her last album and in hertour videos.
"

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Yes to all of that.

And I wouldn’t mention Madonna, something tells me we have a crazy, bitter stan on our hands.

Impossible2
#76Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/7/19 at 6:50pm

TotallyEffed said: "Impossible2 said: "Didn't she work with him just afterhe was found NOTguilty?

It wasn't until 2 or 3 years after she worked with him that the cult sex prisoner stuff came out.

I imagine it was their shared record company that organised the duet to give him some cred back and she had little to do with any decision making.

Mike Tyson is a convicted rapist and a total lunatic and yet Madonna had him all over her last album and in hertour videos.
"

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Yes to all of that.

And I wouldn’t mention Madonna, something tells me we have a crazy, bitterstan on our hands.
"

Which is exactly why I brought her up...

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#77Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/7/19 at 6:58pm

Okay, you're all wrong. I loved Star is Born and sadly missed Bohemian Rhapsody, but...

#TEAMCRAZYRICHASIANS

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Impossible2
#78Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/7/19 at 7:02pm

ErikJ972 said: ""Nope. Like most of us women, we've been sexually harassed or assaulted multiple times in life. Some people have triggers, and you should probably RESPECT that not judge people to do what they are no comfortable doing. If you aren't a women, you will never fully understand. Ever."

Funny for you to say that as you discount the word of countless women of color who have spoken out against Kelly.

And if you don't believe Lifetime several other new organziatios have done very detailed articles on Kelly in the past. Or you can probably still see the video for yourself. And there's no dispute that he married Alyiah when SHE WAS 15.

**edited to add the Mod is right. My apologies for taking this thread way OT.
"

We know all of this, we are just trying to work out why it is all Lady Gaga's fault?

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#79Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/7/19 at 7:03pm

Bohemian Rhapsody is one of the worst movies Ive seen in years so you didnt miss anything.

I think everyone would happier seeing Crazy Rich Asians win. It was hugely successful and the diverse cast is fantastic.

The Favourite is the best movie of the year, in my opinion.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#80Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/7/19 at 7:03pm

You guys are about three years late. Madonnna is a cartoon. Nice try though I guess? The whole civility thing was fun while it lasted!

I'm not going to make this a Madonna vs. Lady Gaga battle.

Like I said, the mod was right and I admit this was the wrong threatd to bring this up. This is not just a problem with Lady Gaga. I could be having the same exact discussion about Jay Z, Erykah Badu or many others. So it's not really about Lady Gaga either.

Updated On: 1/7/19 at 07:03 PM

Impossible2
#81Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/7/19 at 7:07pm

TotallyEffed said: "

The Favourite is the best movie of the year, in my opinion."

I can't wait to see this, he is one of my favourite directors.

Killing of a Sacred Dear was my favourite film of last year and I'm so glad he is finally getting the recognition he deserves.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#82Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/7/19 at 7:11pm

The Favourite was also my favorite film of the year. If you've loved Yorgos' other films, you'll definitely love this.

Erzlump
#83Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/7/19 at 7:47pm

LYLS3637 said: "I'm hoping this starts the decline of the narrative thatA STAR IS BORN is the front runner for the Best Picture Oscar. It is certainly a better quality film than BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY, but does not reach the brilliance of THE FAVOURITE or ROMA or BLACKKKLANSMAN or BEALE STREET.

I mean, come on, this isn't even the best version of A STAR IS BORN... (though no where near the worst... Babs...)
"

I wish there would be more love for The Favourite - was very happy to see Ms. Coleman win. I wish I would've been able to see The Wife yet, but see how A Star is Born was so much more about the male lead than the female lead this time around, I was always doubtful that GaGa had a good shot at this. Adding to this, Glenn is, in many eyes at least, really due for an Oscar.  

Niles Silvers
#84Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/7/19 at 8:03pm

Why was A Star Is Born not in the musical category?  Anyway, it made tons of money, so Bradley and Lady are still the toast of Hollywood.  The Oscars are shaping up to be a total train wreck this year, so who knows what will happen there.

Impossible2
#85Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/7/19 at 8:08pm

Wow I actually had no idea BR had been so successful, it's made almost double what ASIB has.

I thought it was the other way around lol

It could actually come pretty close to doing a billion at the box office which is pretty amazing considering ti only cost 52 million to make.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#86Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/7/19 at 9:43pm

Impossible2 said: "Wow I actually had no idea BR had been so successful, it's madealmost double what ASIB has.

I thought it was the other way around lol

It could actually come pretty close to doing a billion at the box office which is pretty amazing considering ti only cost 52 million to make.
"

As I said above, Bohemian was selling out two theaters at my local megaplex (which is usually dead as a doornail). It was wildly popular with the audience. I know people who saw it multiple times. It was that film that everyone was talking about it — at least in middle America where I reside. And while I agree it was far from perfect and had huge factual misrepresentations... it was a celebration of Freddy Mercury and Queen and that alone made it worth the price of admission. God how I miss him.

As for Crazy Rich Asians - that was another predictable sitcom-esque film. I was surprised there wasn't a laugh track with it. Very few funny moments, but lovely scenery. Note to self: Fly Air Singapore.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#87Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/8/19 at 6:45am

Cooper and Gaga exceeded expectations but I don't think it deserves Best Picture nor Best Actress.

ChgoTheatreGuy Profile Photo
ChgoTheatreGuy
#88Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/8/19 at 3:50pm

Remember that the Streisand version of "A Star is Born" swept the Golden Globes and only wound up with four technical Oscar nominations, only winning for Best Song for "Evergreen".  The Garland version won two GG's for the two leads and we all know what happened at the Oscars with that film...

Stage Door Sally
#89Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/8/19 at 4:18pm

ChgoTheatreGuy said: "Remember that the Streisand version of "A Star is Born" swept the Golden Globes and only wound up with four technical Oscar nominations, only winning for Best Song for "Evergreen". The Garland version won two GG's for the two leads and we all know what happened at the Oscars with that film..."

The Man that Got Way didn't even win Best Song.

Stage Door Sally
#90Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/8/19 at 4:18pm

ChgoTheatreGuy said: "Remember that the Streisand version of "A Star is Born" swept the Golden Globes and only wound up with four technical Oscar nominations, only winning for Best Song for "Evergreen". The Garland version won two GG's for the two leads and we all know what happened at the Oscars with that film..."

The Man that Got Away didn't even win Best Song.

Updated On: 1/8/19 at 04:18 PM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#91Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/8/19 at 5:03pm

I have a feeling it was a lot harder to win "Best Song" in those days.

A Director
#92Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/8/19 at 7:28pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "I have a feeling it was a lot harder to win "Best Song" in those days."

In those days, "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" would never have won Best Song.

It won Best Song in 2005.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#93Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/8/19 at 8:53pm

My favorite movie of the year was Boy Erased. I have no idea why that wasn't nominated for best movie

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

The Other One
#94Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/8/19 at 10:05pm

Am I wrong in believing that you can't accurately call a multi-nominated movie "snubbed"?  

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#96Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/9/19 at 9:03am

The Other One said: "Am I wrong in believing that you can't accurately call a multi-nominated movie "snubbed"?"

Technically, nothing is ever snubbed. It is considered and then not chosen.

Shows without nominations were considered and bypassed, and the same with nominees who don't win.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#97Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/9/19 at 9:13am

The HFPA has always been a mess. They usually try to predict what will win the Oscar, but this year, I really doubt that happens. Bohemian Rhapsody was atrocious, not to mention it was directed by a pedophile. 

A Star is Born and Roma are the two films that have hit all of the precursors, and most importantly, the guilds, eg: SAG, PGA, DGA, and BAFTA to boot. Best Picture is between those two. And with the year that Bradley Cooper had, I cannot see him going home empty handed. Best Picture may be his best shot if Rami Malek is indeed the front runner for Actor, with Alfonso Cuaron allegedly inching towards his second Best Director Academy Award.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#98Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/9/19 at 10:00am

The HFPA is a joke. A STAR IS BORN looks to lead the Oscar nominations - it's fine.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Stage Door Sally
#99Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/9/19 at 11:38am

East side story said: "The HFPA has always been a mess. They usually try to predict what will win the Oscar, but this year, I really doubt that happens. Bohemian Rhapsody was atrocious, not to mention it was directed by a pedophile.

Bryan Singer needs to be banned from filmmaking. Period. I keep thinking what a great film Bohemian Rhapsody might have been with a different director at the helm, because the subject matter and Malek's performance were outstanding.

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/bryan-singer-sexual-assault-rape-allegations-timeline-1201903868/ 

Updated On: 1/9/19 at 11:38 AM