RENT Live on Fox

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#125RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 8:32pm

The sound keeps cutting out at times, right? This is weird.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#126RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 8:33pm

No one is good in this. I mean... the singing sounds pretty nice, but NO ONE is acting (perhaps because we're watching the final dress, and they were all marking...?)

All the singing directly to the audience (as if they are not really characters with storylines, but doing a rock concert instead) is really distracting, as is the deliberate recording of the audience cheers and screams.

this.stinks.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#127RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 8:33pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "So are the scenes without Brendan live?"

None of it is live. None of it. 

SporkGoddess
#128RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 8:34pm

Joanne's vocals aren't very good, either, IMO. Apparently this score requires musical theatre chops because I'm not impressed by any of the non-Broadway actors so far.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#129RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 8:34pm

I dare say that this is making the movie version look like an Academy Award winning classic.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#130RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 8:36pm

CarlosAlberto said: "Jesus Christ Superstar was aired on NBC not FOX."

...And yet the set looks very much like a re-dressed version of the Superstar set.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#131RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 8:36pm

Jordan Fisher and Brandon Victor Dixon are truly the only people that can act on stage.  The sound guy should be fired. And I thought this would be good because the director did Jesus Christ Superstar.  I guess they thought nothing would happen to any of them but perhaps they should have employed a few understudies. Goddamn. 

asoftplacetoland Profile Photo
asoftplacetoland
#132RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 8:37pm

I dont get why theyre changing so much of the lyrics and adding so many lyrics/lines in!! Theyre changing stuff that doesnt have anything to do with profanity or anything inappropriate. Just unnecessary, extra crap. DO THE SHOW AS WRITTEN!!!

bwayobsessed
#133RENT Live on Fox

I feel like Joanne was acting too hard and not singing enough during tango Maureen.

Also why is the camera work in these live things always so strange.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#134RENT Live on Fox

I feel so horrible for the actors. What are they doing right now?

brdwybuff
#135RENT Live on Fox

Angel and Joanne are cringeworthy to say the least...

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#136RENT Live on Fox

Yes, the cheering is super annoying and drowning out the singing at times.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#137RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 8:38pm

Disaster is a bit strong.  It's just an ordinary taped performance,  none of the power or immediacy of "live". The singers are adequate ( trying hard!), choreography odd and frankly the camera work- well I'll be polite and "kind" and call it dodgy. (and not in a good way) How many cameras do they have and who is calling them in the control booth? seriously if this was taped they should also have got coverage and they don't. Meh.

Seriously tho working on a broken ankle- that is just messed up. 

lukeworsham
#138RENT Live on Fox

barcelona20 said: "Adam should have stepped up."

LOL I honestly bet Adam could still sing this score beautifully, and we know he'd do it emotionally.

Also, side note, RENT is ruined if you don't like Angel. I don't like this Angel.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#139RENT Live on Fox

My only issues are the cringey added/changed lines and the low energy. Although the energy could be attributed to the fact that its the dress rehearsal. The cast is pretty boring, but I was prepared for that. I actually thought the reveal of the audience and the full set at the top of the title number was really cool.

Rainah
#140RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 8:39pm

Likely because my expectations were low but I'm kinda digging it. There's enough cool elements to allow me to overlook the meh and the bad. For a cost of $0 to me and three hours of my time, I'm digging it.

BroadwayKiwi
#141RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 8:42pm

No day but yesterdays tape.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#142RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 8:43pm

Guess my prediction was right, I knew they'd change a lot and sanitize it. Yuck.

Adam Pascal is 20+ years older than all of them, it would have looked ridiculous. But yes, he can sing beautifully.

Also, side note, RENT is ruined if you don't like Angel. I don't like this Angel.

HATE Angel.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#143RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 8:43pm

Worse than a bad high school production. Abysmal!

Alex172005
#144RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 8:44pm

Growing up I was told that if I didnt have anything nice to say, to not say anything at all.

With that said, here are my thoughts on this broadcast so far:

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#145RENT Live on Fox

I'm not sure if the same ads are playing on TV as they are on the stream on Fox.com, but is anyone else just "WTF FOX" with the ads they are playing with this one. The fear-mongering is strong tonight Rentheads.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#146RENT Live on Fox

I could understand a weak link here and there or a missed note, but when more of the singing is bad than good, thats a problem. That Life Support soloist guy was inexcusably bad.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#147RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 8:45pm

CarlosAlberto said: "Jesus Christ Superstar was aired on NBC not FOX.

In their defense - they are now forced to air a filmed dress rehearsal, and yes the performances may not be what they would have been because they were saving it for tonight's live broadcast. Too bad. This not good.
"

Thanks for the correction. I wasn’t sure what channel JCS appeared on and was too lazy to look it up. JCS is the only one of these “live” Broadway tv musicals I’ve truly loved. This on the other hand is lacking all energy. It’s like watching a musical version of a deflated balloon. The brief “Life Support” was effective mainly because the miscast leafs couldn’t run it. I love Jordan Fisher but he’s no Mark. He’s too pretty and smooth. 

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#148RENT Live on Fox

Hey, that AIDS Stat narration is by Anthony Rapp.

Anyway I'm enjoying this. It's a shame they weren't able to put their best version out there in time capsule. It will always e this compromised performance.

Updated On: 1/27/19 at 08:45 PM

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#149RENT Live on Fox

Blue vinyl pants > blue hot pants.

But I will Tinashe is selling it a lot harder hear than before.