pixeltracker

ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date

ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#1ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 6:32pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/ANASTASIA-To-Play-Final-Broadway-Performance-March-31-20190205

It's only Tuesday and we already have two announcements this week. Sending my luck to all those other shows out there as we get through the winter-downtime this year.

I know many people have a vendetta against the show, but for what it's worth, I really enjoyed a majority of the score and I think having Christy Altomare cast as Anya was just about the perfect casting decision they could've gone with. Happy trails to cast & crew.

Updated On: 2/5/19 at 06:32 PM

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#2ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 6:36pm

Not surprising, given their grosses, but very sad. I know Anastasia was never a popular show on these boards but I thought it was wonderful, and I enjoyed it very much. Two years is nothing to sniff at, though, especially given how crowded the 2017 season was when it opened.

Updated On: 2/5/19 at 06:36 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 6:38pm

Well that’s unexpected since they just announced whatshisface through April. The show had a very respectable run, though.

FlyHigh523 Profile Photo
FlyHigh523
#4ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 6:42pm

I’m so, so sad. Christy and the entire cast are amazing people. I really enjoyed the show when I saw it. She loves the show so much ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#6ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 6:48pm

I hope Christy finds a much better show to show off her talent.

Did it recoup?

MannPhan24601
#7ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 6:50pm

There goes my dream for Chris Mann as Gleb(Which got me thinking when he posted about having a meeting with Telsey in May then hinted at return to stage in a interview in Nov )....

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#8ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 6:57pm

It never announced recoupment, but a Forbes article from August said it "will have recouped its $12.5 million investment by the time the tour launches [October 9], according to a production source."

MannPhan24601
#9ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 7:00pm

Guess it was Twitter stans or it is getting forced out for Love Never Dies as rumored and Christy will go to Frozen (Even though I think Patti extended ?)

Or that Audra McDonald play

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#10ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 7:00pm

I’m curious why three shows are closing so late in the season. They should’ve just closed in January so another show could take its place right away. Instead the broadhurst and Barrymore will most likely sit idle until fall. Just seems selfish to me.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#11ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 7:08pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I’m curious why three shows are closing so late in the season. They should’ve just closed in January so another show could take its place right away. Instead the broadhurst and Barrymore will most likely sit idle until fall. Just seems selfish to me."

I'm assuming that FRANKIE AND JOHNNY will take the Broadhurst in May.

natashalost
#12ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 7:09pm

I feel like closing announcements come in threes... who's next?

rg7759
#13ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 7:09pm

I know it doesn't seem possible. But tootsie I'm begging you, switch theaters

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#14ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 7:10pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I’m curious why three shows are closing so late in the season. They should’ve just closed in January so another show could take its place right away. Instead the broadhurst and Barrymore will most likely sit idle until fall. Just seems selfish to me."

I had the same reaction when Kinky Boots announced closing, but then that turned out to be timed with the opening of Moulin Rouge. Maybe the same thing will happen here. It feels like summer openings might be coming back into style! 

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#15ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 7:13pm

MannPhan24601 said: "Guess it was Twitter stans or it is getting forced out for Love Never Dies as rumored and Christy will go to Frozen (Even though I think Patti extended ?)

I have not heard anything about LND going to Broadway. Interesting thought though, I actually really enjoyed the tour that closed a month or two ago.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#16ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 7:14pm

Whoa! It's trending on Twitter!!!

James Kerrigan2
#17ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 7:15pm

Such an amazing show good i booked tickets to see it one last time. wonder if it will go to the West End.

curel1
#18ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 7:36pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Whoa! It's trending on Twitter!!!"

Just was about to post that!  Currently trending at #5 in the US

RWPrincess
#19ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 7:46pm

I am stunned and saddened by this. I love this show and thought it would last at least through the Summer.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#20ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 8:08pm

Do you need some smelling salts?

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#21ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 8:11pm

Genuinely can’t remember a time I was more bored in a theater than when I saw this. Sad for the cast and crew, but 2 years is a phenomenal run and I’m sure this show will make endless amount of money in all types of productions.

VintageSnarker
#22ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 8:18pm

MannPhan24601 said: "Guess it was Twitter stans or it is getting forced out for Love Never Dies as rumored and Christy will go to Frozen (Even though I think Patti extended ?)

OK, but like, Christy in Frozen? That's an amazing idea.

I think this was far from the best adaptation of the movie that we could have gotten. The book had lots of issues as well as pointless changes from the movie script (that I still think were motivated by that whole lawsuit rather than smart creative decisions). But the performers were fantastic and it was full of enjoyable moments. Also, the costuming was gorgeous. I'm glad it ran for as long as it did. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#23ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 8:22pm

I can kind of understand shows closing around Easter weekend, but all of these shows closing during the middle of a peak spring break period is so bizarre.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#24ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 8:24pm

natashalost said: "I feel like closing announcements come in threes... who's next?"

Beautiful? Summer is always their worst time of year so maybe they’ll want to close up shop before then.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayMan5
#25ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date
Posted: 2/5/19 at 10:13pm

I thought it was a decent show and it had a great run, breaking out early in a crowded season. It will surely be a huge hit in the regional/amateur/high school arena when licensing is available.