KING LEAR Previews

teatime2
#25KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 12:51am

LesWickedly said: "Eighthours of Kushner’s contemporary text is much different than four hours of Shakespeare for me and I’m sure many others."

This.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 12:56am

There is almost no first preview that clocks in at their actually running time.

But Im with Miles2Go....if its good enough, it won't matter. HP runs 5 hours, and it didnt fly by for me.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#27KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 12:58am

I agree it might be a challenge to my contemporary ears, but if anyone can make it worth my time it’s Glenda Jackson.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#28KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 1:12am

A few twitter reviews if you search, including one that's quite negative towards the cuts to the script (particularly the title character) and the score. But it's a first preview, lots can change, and they have 5 weeks. And I'm sure Bill's at the back of the house doing rewrites every night... KING LEAR Previews 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#29KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 6:16am

Bill? Bill Shakespeare? Very cool.

KING LEAR Previews

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#30KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 7:32am

Just SomethingPeculiar said: "A few twitter reviews if you search, including one that's quite negative towards the cuts to the script (particularly the title character) and the score. But it's a first preview, lots can change, and they have 5 weeks. And I'm sure Bill's at the back of the house doing rewrites every night... KING LEAR Previews"

I wonder if he stage doors.

802AFM
#31KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 9:02am

Heard from 2 friends who were at the invited dress Wednesday evening.  Started at 7:40ish, intermission after 2 hours, curtain came down at 11:10pm-ish.  They said it did feel long.  Performances were excellent but the direction was "too busy" and the Philip Glass was intrusive, frequently covering dialogue.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#32KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 9:35am

I expect the direction to split audiences. When Sam Gold directed Hamlet at The Public, there were many walk outs due to its contemporary style. I thought it was one of the best things I'd seen all year. You never know how people are going to feel about his direction style.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#33KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 9:55am

I'm surprised there aren't two intermissions, like there were for Hamlet. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

10086sunset
#34KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 10:02am

My expectations were high going in. Maybe they were too high. At the end of the show, I thought it was good, but not as great as I had been expecting. 

It felt like a first preview. I'm not going to be overly critical here because they play truly did seem like a work in progress last night. 

On the positives, Jackson is her amazing self.  Ruth Wilson is excellent and has an amazing turn as the Fool, her work in the first act on the dining room table is memorable. John Douglas Thompson does his usual fine work. 

It would not surprise me in the least for people to love or dislike this show. along with the running time, the direction is going to divide people. The biggest problem for me was the language. It felt in contrast with the set, staging and costumes. 

It felt long. At times it felt really long. The seating at the Cort certainly didn't help matters. I was on an aisle in the orchestra and was still uncomfortable. First act ran two hours, ended around 10:45. 

10086sunset
#35KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 10:04am

Kad said: "I'm surprised there aren't two intermissions, like there were for Hamlet."

Thought the same. The show would really benefit from multiple intermissions or the use of a pause. 

Synecdoche2 Profile Photo
Synecdoche2
#36KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 10:33am

Gold's Hamlet was hardly as radical as it thought it was.

dave1606
#37KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 12:03pm

I saw this last night and definitely feel this production will generate some strong opinions.

The biggest (easy fix) issue right now is the sound. While I actually loved Philip Glass’s score it often overpowered any dialogue which is a pretty big problem to have in Shakespeare. It seemed like a lot of the ensemble were not miched which need to change. While I enjoyed the score the added songs (I think there are three now) don’t add much and in an already long show, they should be cut.

I thought Glenda was good, though not quite great yet. Ruth Wilson as others mentioned comes off the best as The Fool. She was charming and funny. The rest of the cast careens from overacting (Regan) to downright awful (Edgar).

I actually really liked the use of deaf actors in Spring Awakening but here I do not think it works, especially how the SPOILER death of this character happens.

I think the set really hampers this show. It is a one set show which makes things much more claustrophobic and I kept yearning for something else to look at instead of that purple carpet! The King Lear at BAM a few years ago made good use of a real forest for the King to get lost in which worked for me much better than how that is handled here. I will say that the lighting is truly excellent and does a nice job of setting up spaces on a stage that changes very little.

Overall I’m sure this will improve over previews though I think they should consider adding another intermission. Two hours and ten minutes is a long ways to go.  For those wondering the show started at 7:02pm and ended at 10:40pm. Intermission was at just about 9:08pm so the timing is fairly accurate, just note that this show doesn’t give you the usual 7-8 minute late start that most Broadway shows give you these days. I'd say waiting a month or so would be a very smart thing to do for this show even if my issues probably will still be there. 

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#38KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 12:20pm

Oh dear. I'm here for the length. King Lear is long. It's supposed to be long. And there's a LOT that happens. And you're supposed to be exhausted at the end. But. One set... that seems cruel. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

natashalost
#39KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 5:54pm

Can someone go into detail about how the deaf talent is utilized in the show? 

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#40KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/2/19 at 1:17pm

Russell Harvey plays the Duke of Cornwall. He signs most of his lines but also speaks. Michael Arden is credited as his Aide. He signs the spoken lines to the Duke and speaks his lines for the other actors/audience. Regan signs a few lines to him, and Oswald signs and speaks his lines while addressing Cornwall.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Alex Kulak2
#41KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/2/19 at 2:34pm

One set shouldn't be a deal-breaker. Shakespeare was originally performed on a bare stage.

hollebolle
#42KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/2/19 at 11:57pm

Wow that was a long night. Aside from a few standout performances (Jackson included), I really don’t see anything remarkable about this production. I will admit that this was my first live Shakespeare experience, and I really struggled to follow along. So that may have contributed. In any case, it’s crazy to go 2 hours without any sort of break.

One thing I did love was the inclusion of Russell Harvard! I thought the signing worked seamlessly and goes a long way for representation.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#43KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/3/19 at 12:55am

I probably won’t make it back to NYC before this closes anyway, but these early reports are moving this down my wish list. They still have a month to make changes, but it doesn’t seem like previews are used to make substantive changes to many productions anymore. Of course, my mileage might vary, but I suspect that my impressions would be similar as the play stands now.

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#44KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/3/19 at 2:35pm

Anyone have any intel or had any luck with rush for this?

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#45KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/3/19 at 5:47pm

2 hours without a break?! Have you never seen a movie.

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#46KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/3/19 at 5:57pm

Depends how absorbed in the material. If bored shietless then 2hrs is an eternity.

For me, even 10mins with Mr Bill would be unbearable[ I remember horrendous school days with his works and never recovered].

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#47KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/3/19 at 6:05pm

RippedMan said: "2 hours without a break?! Have you never seen a movie. "

Have you never noticed how you can leave your seat at a movie and return without causing much disruption? Try leaving a center section of. a Broadway show for a pee mergency. Not so easy.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#48KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/3/19 at 6:12pm

In addition, a movie has closeups, different angles, wideshots, etc. whereas watching a play in live theater is... just one sightline and that's it.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people doze off during those 2 hours.

I do plan on watching this play but will aim to get seats where I can at least see facial expressions. I watched Indecent from the balcony and front mezz at the Cort and front mezz was definitely worth the upgrade.

hollebolle
#49KING LEAR Previews
Posted: 3/3/19 at 6:40pm

Matt Rogers said: "RippedMan said: "2 hours without a break?! Have you never seen a movie. "

Have you never noticed how you can leave your seat at a movie and return without causing much disruption? Try leaving a center section of. a Broadway show for a pee mergency. Not so easy.”

Also, movie theater seats are wayyyy more comfortable. I’ll happily sit through a long movie,  especially with reclining seats and a ton of food options.