pixeltracker

BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews- Page 5

BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews

thealtoslament Profile Photo
thealtoslament
#100BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/11/19 at 4:18pm

Jordan, yes, if it's very close (can't remember the exact cutoff) there can be 5 nominees. The last time that happened was 2016, when Hamilton, School of Rock, Bright Star, Shuffle Along, and Waitress were nominated. 

As for the featured actor debate, I'm still putting my money on George Salazar. Michael is the showier role of the two and I bet anything they want to perform Michael in the Bathroom on the Tonys, being that it's the signature song. 

JSquared2
#101BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/11/19 at 4:24pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Scarlet Leigh said: "Plus We have seen one song propel featured actors to nominations before however. Brad Oscar in Something Rotten. Jonathan Groff in Hamilton."

Groff had three songs in Hamilton.
"

Actually he had one song, plus 2 reprises of that song.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#102BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/11/19 at 4:47pm

I think the score deserves a nom for Michael In The Bathroom alone. I could see The Prom being left out potentially. Fun orchestrations but the lyrics aren't anything to rave about. I liked the score a lot but its more fun than anything tony worthy. I haven't heard anything from Beetlejuice however. 

Kimbo
#103BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/11/19 at 5:02pm

Mike Barrett said: "I think the score deserves a nom for Michael In The Bathroom alone. I could see The Prom being left out potentially. Fun orchestrations but the lyrics aren't anything to rave about. I liked the score a lot but its more fun than anything tony worthy. I haven't heard anything from Beetlejuice however."

I can almost personally guarantee you that The Prom will not be left out of Best Score (and probably not Best Musical either). Despite varying opinions here, it’s almost universally well-liked or loved within the industry. And with only 5 best original scores, whether you think the lyrics are “anything to rave about” or not, it won’t have any trouble making the cut. (Last year Angels in America was nominated for Best Score and it didn’t even have any lyrics.) 

I’m not saying Iconis won’t be nominated (I think he will), I’m just saying there’s no way The Prom won’t be. 

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#104BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/11/19 at 5:06pm

I wouldn't be surprised if a play (or two) got nominated for Best Original Score instead.

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#105BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/11/19 at 5:11pm

Kimbo said: "Mike Barrett said: "I think the score deserves a nom for Michael In The Bathroom alone. I could see The Prom being left out potentially. Fun orchestrations but the lyrics aren't anything to rave about. I liked the score a lot but its more fun than anything tony worthy. I haven't heard anything from Beetlejuice however."

I can almost personally guarantee you that The Prom will not be left out of Best Score (and probably not Best Musical either). Despite varying opinions here, it’s almost universally well-liked orloved within the industry. And with only 5 best original scores, whether you think the lyrics are “anything to rave about”or not, it won’t have any trouble making the cut. (Last year Angels in America was nominated for Best Score and it didn’t even have any lyrics.)

I’m not saying Iconis won’t be nominated (I think he will),I’m just saying there’s no way The Prom won’tbe.
"

Oh I adored The Prom. Great show, liked it 100x more than Be More Chill. Just a show more my style. I'd perosnally be happy if it's nominated. I was just pointing out I can see how the lyrics would maybe take it down a notch, but I hope it's nominated! Honeslty I can't imagine Beetlejuice producing a better score anyways, but they may surprise me. 

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#106BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/11/19 at 5:15pm

Re: Groff in Hamilton. Exactly what JSpuared said above. It was one song and then two reprises of the same one main song that got him his nomination. Still one song just heard it a few times extra.

And RE: 5th slot, if I recall correctly it's if the 5th show is within 2 votes of the 4th show, which in this case really might be possible. Someone can correct me on the number. It's either 2 or 3 votes.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#107BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/11/19 at 5:28pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Scarlet Leigh said: "Plus We have seen one song propel featured actors to nominations before however. Brad Oscar in Something Rotten. Jonathan Groff in Hamilton."

"

Robin De Jesus had none in In The Heights OR La Cage no?

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#108BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/11/19 at 5:45pm

Despite the majority of this board loving the Prom and not liking Be More Chill, I put both of those musicals, along with Beetlejuice and Ain’t too Proud in the “too close to call” for a Best Musical nomination.

If it is as close as I believe it is, I think Be More Chill could get the nomination (as others noted) as a way to give a nod to the next generation of Broadway.

MollyJeanneMusic
#109BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/11/19 at 6:06pm

I think the other thing to consider is, who's going to review Ain't Too Proud and Beetlejuice?  Will that impact things the way Ben Brantley's review connection to BMC did?

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#110BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/11/19 at 6:25pm

MollyJeanneMusic said: "I think the other thing to consider is, who's going to review Ain't Too Proud and Beetlejuice? Will that impact things the way Ben Brantley's review connection to BMC did?"

This assumes the reviews impact the nominating committee at all, and that otherwise awesome, universally beloved shows are getting unfairly dinged by nasty reviews. Neither of which seems to be true.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#111BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/11/19 at 7:23pm

I miss the days when the Tony nominating committee could make decisions like ‘no musical this season is worth nominating for Best Musical so we’re just going to leave that category out.’

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#112BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/12/19 at 9:02am

I've looked in a few threads and can't seem to find an answer for this, but is the stagedoor for this show in front of the theatre, or around the back like all the other previous shows at the Lyceum? I'm going tonight and I'm just wondering.

Thanks.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#113BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/12/19 at 9:07am

Stage door is still at the back (meaning that's the door actors/crew/stage folks use to enter the theater); however the actors come out to do autograph  after the show at the front of the theater.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#114BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/12/19 at 9:07am

someone answered you in another thread - It seems as if, yes, they are signing in front of the theater.  (Likely making it easier for those that want to disappear a way out the back.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#115BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/12/19 at 9:22am

haterobics said: "Miles2Go2 said: "Scarlet Leigh said: "Plus We have seen one song propel featured actors to nominations before however. Brad Oscar in Something Rotten. Jonathan Groff in Hamilton."

"

Robin De Jesus had none in In The Heights OR La Cage no?
"

Andrea Martin won a Tony for basically the one number in Pippin.   

Braniff Forever
#116BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/12/19 at 10:13am

After seeing Moulin Rouge in August last year in Boston, I said Be More Chill would win Best Musical 2019 and Moulin Rouge would win Best Musical 2020. I stand by my predictions. Although BMC didn’t get good reviews, the industry people I know like BMC, and wish it well, so don’t underestimate BMC! And besides Moulin Rouge, I don’t know what else people are excited for in 2020?

Phant0mPhan
#117BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/12/19 at 12:36pm

This isn't a professional review per se, but man, it made me want to see this show so bad! (it's a podcast, but definitely worth the listen) 

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/off2broadway/id1450757597?mt=2https%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fca%2Fpodcast%2Foff2broadway%2Fid1450757597%3Fmt%3D2

Phant0mPhan
#118BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/12/19 at 12:38pm

Braniff Forever said: "After seeing Moulin Rouge in August last year in Boston, I said Be More Chill would win Best Musical 2019 and Moulin Rouge would win Best Musical 2020. I stand by my predictions. Although BMC didn’t get good reviews, the industry people I know like BMC, and wish it well, so don’t underestimate BMC! And besides Moulin Rouge, I don’t know what else people are excited for in 2020?"

I saw Moulin Rouge in Boston - definitely a contender, but I don't know if it would be Best Musical worthy. Definitely costume and arrangements though 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#119BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/12/19 at 1:21pm

With many plays eligible for Best Score, we’re going to get five nominees in the category. I think Hadestown, Tootsie, and The Prom are locks for nominations. Two more slots are open. Be More Chill definitely has a shot for a nomination in this category, despite the not so great reviews. I do, however, wonder who will get in among play composers: Adam Guettel, Danny Elfman, Philip Glass, Gabriel Kahane? I think if voters don’t respond to Be More Chill (and most are not in the target demographic, let’s be real), there’s a possibility that it does get shunned big time.

If we’re talking about featured nominees with one song or less, Elizabeth A. Davis in Once didn’t even have a solo singing line (unless you count humming during some choreography).

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#120BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/12/19 at 2:25pm

haterobics said: "Babe_Williams said: "I did want die a little when a young fan surmised that this show would be the next Hamilton, but I digress."

Maybe they meant it should have died in Jersey?
"

I screamed.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#121BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/12/19 at 3:52pm

Braniff Forever said: "After seeing Moulin Rouge in August last year in Boston, I said Be More Chill would win Best Musical 2019 and Moulin Rouge would win Best Musical 2020. I stand by my predictions. Although BMC didn’t get good reviews, the industry people I know like BMC, and wish it well, so don’t underestimate BMC! And besides Moulin Rouge, I don’t know what else people are excited for in 2020?"

BMC is NOT Winning Best Musical look for a best score or lighting nomination if lucky...that's prob all!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

pointilismlight
#122BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/12/19 at 4:06pm

I've heard from multiple people that Sondheim left BMC at intermission.  Has anyone else heard this?  One of the shows producers posted a lengthy thing on FB about him being at the show (and enjoying it) which I assume is them trying to combat this.

DaveyG
#123BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/12/19 at 11:59pm

pointilismlight said: "I've heard from multiple people that Sondheim left BMC at intermission. Has anyone else heard this? One of the shows producers posted a lengthy thing on FB about him being at the show (and enjoying it)which I assume is them trying to combat this.

I know for a fact that he left at intermission.

Updated On: 3/12/19 at 11:59 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#124BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews
Posted: 3/13/19 at 12:07am

Saw it tonight. It’s definitely the musical equivalent of a high school student who is hallucinating from consuming too many energy drinks.

Some of the performances are stellar, and the costumes were a hit with me (namely the Squip’s ball-gown trench coat). The score is hoppy, but definitely had an amateurish vibe, especially with some of the lyrics. I will say I was HOWLING at the accuracy of the food court selection they used for the Menlo Park Mall scene (since I live not too far from the actual mall itself). Overall it was a pleasant diversion for the evening, but I feel like I’m at the tail end of the generation that would have a full appreciation for this show without it being entirely grating.

I don’t entirely understand the love for George Salazar in this part. Don’t get me wrong, he is extremely talented, but aside from his one song, I don’t feel any sort of arc from him other than he’s the effeminate pothead sidekick. I was more impressed with Stephanie Hsu and Jason Tam (I wouldn’t be made if either of them got a Featured nod at the Tonys.

Also, I kept thinking how they could stunt cast the Squip in the future a la St. Jimmy in American Idiot. I could see Adam Lambert definitely making a legendary Squip

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm