pixeltracker

Hugh Jackman in The Music Man- Page 20

Hugh Jackman in The Music Man

JSquared2
#475Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/6/19 at 3:05pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Having a baby at 42 is somewhat believable, but Marie Mullen would have had Wintrop at 57 :) Pert Kelton was 51 when she originated the role,but Barbara Cook was also 30.

Guess it all depends on how the linereadings are done for Mrs. Paroo's "you didn't even say hello to your sister" and Marian's"the boy's father is dead." (paraphrasing all)

There's also the idea that Winthrop was adopted by Mrs. Paroo...which could be emphasized by a child of color since everything else is so literal.

If you're concerned about "literal", do you REALLY think that there were a lot of Midwestern white folk adopting black kids in the early 1900's?

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#476Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/6/19 at 5:03pm

A woman in India has given birth to twins.....at the age of 73.  The 80-something father suffered a stroke the following day and is hospitalized (but that's another story).

This shall forever put to rest the notion that Mrs. Paroo, as played by Miss Mullen, is too old to be mother to that boy.

On with the show!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49575735

Non sibi sed patriae

AEA AGMA SM
#477Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/6/19 at 8:03pm

Highland Guy said: "A woman in India has given birth to twins.....at the age of 73. The 80-something father suffered a stroke the following day and is hospitalized (but that's another story).

This shall forever put to rest the notion that Mrs. Paroo, as played by Miss Mullen, is too old to be mother to that boy.

On with the show!!

"

Yes, because IVF clinics were doing such booming business in 1912.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#478Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/6/19 at 8:52pm

AEA AGMA SM said: "Highland Guy said: "A woman in India has given birth to twins.....at the age of 73. The 80-something father suffered a stroke the following day and is hospitalized (but that's another story).

On with the show!!

"

Yes, because IVF clinics were doing such booming business in 1912.
"

Do you really think I am so stupid not to have known prior to posting that the lady underwent IVF?   Mullen's age doesn't matter.  IT'S  ALL  MAKE-BELIEVE  !!  It's going to be a spectacular production no matter who plays Mrs. Paroo, but Miss Mullen's participation will certainly help it be all that more special.  I will absolutely believe that she is Winthrop's mother.

Back to real life now.

Non sibi sed patriae

Arlove25
#479Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/6/19 at 9:23pm

Anyone know if tickets are going on sale Sept. 15th as announced earlier?

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#480Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/6/19 at 10:20pm

Sutton Foster is one of the most beloved actresses on Broadway and she sells tickets. It's just that she doesn't get that much exposure when she's appearing. She did Anything Goes for about a year in the 1000 seat Sondheim eight shows a week. That would mean maybe 400,000 saw her in the role. Good, but even with the wide selection of small screen entertainment we have now television delivers to millions in an hour. And it doesn't cost $140.  If Kelli O'Hara is the reigning queen of Broadway actresses, when I drop her name it is rarely recognized outside of theater folk.

The industry should film these shows and control their exposure to the public with its own subscription television channel. That way they can keep the filmed version from cannabalizing other current live productions and discouraging new revivals. As Disney did, they can have a show disappear for years to build anticipation for its return. Broadway can certainly use the money. I thought that the Bandstand film set a good standard.

If Broadway stars became national figures appearing on Broadway then Audra and Kristin do not have to spend years doing forgettable TV shows like Private Practice and West Wing instead of starring in Porgy and Bess and On the Twentieth Century. Makes sense to me. 

Sutton likes to joke about how late it was into her career when she realized that she had to learn to sing. I think it's true that she tends to avoid romantic ballads like "My White Knight" and "'Til There Was You." But Sutton succeeds in about everything she tries and I wouldn't bet against her.

As for the "scandal," I'm sure Shirley Jones must have been asked about it. From what I read she is a pretty tough lady and not like the saccharine personalities that she often portrays. In her mid-80s, she would give a straight answer. In fact, she won the supporting actress Oscar for playing a prostitute in the 1960 drama Elmer Gantry.

This is all she had to say about Winthrop in an interview.

Then-7-year-old Ron Howard played Marian’s little brother, Winthrop. What was it like working with him?
As a child star, he was brilliant. Now when I see his work I understand why he’s so successful in everything. He was smart — he knew what the business was about.

Updated On: 9/6/19 at 10:20 PM

schubox
#481Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/7/19 at 12:11am

Did you just call The West Wing a forgettable tv show?

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#482Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/7/19 at 2:27am

I don't think the 2003 TV version is very popular here, but for those interested, it had a bit of diverse casting in the ensemble. (I can't remember with regard to the leads.)
Eg: Iowa Stubborn

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#483Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/7/19 at 3:36am

The West Wing is forgettable television? That was sarcasm, right?

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#484Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/7/19 at 4:10am

Yep, I saw some dark faces. I don't even know if there were any African Americans in Mason City (River City), Iowa in that era and, if there were, did they mingle with the whites or were they isolated?

To tell you the truth, in that version some people had trouble with the Matthew Broderick/Robert Preston comparison, But it does give me a lame excuse to link my absolute favorite rendition of "Til There Was You," even better than Paul McCartney's. This was a bonus feature on the DVD.

Kristin Blows Away All Others with Her Performance of "Til There Was You."

Use this link for mobile app.

https://youtu.be/jUvMIjf1GK0

Updated On: 9/7/19 at 04:10 AM

Steven A2
#485Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/7/19 at 6:07am

Private Practice ran for six seasons. So-called "forgettable" television usually does not. And to even attempt to apply that descriptor to The West Wing is simply absurd.

Playbill_Trash
#486Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/7/19 at 7:34am

When you said forgettable tv, then started to list examples, I seriously thought your example for Kristen Chenowith was going to be Pushing Daisies - which was actually forgettable (even though it won her an Emmy).

The fact that you didn’t remember Pushing Daisies literally proves that it was forgettable.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#487Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/7/19 at 11:01am

Discussion of TV series is far off topic. If you think that these series were memorable, your opinion is just as good as mine. The point is that dozens could have played the TV roles but that only a handful, if even that, have the talents that these actresses bring to the musical stage.

I never saw Pushing Daisies, and its description sounded pretty looney, but Chenoweth was so high on it, (and she won the Emmy), that I wasn't prepared to say her time would have been better spent on stage.

Updated On: 9/7/19 at 11:01 AM

schubox
#488Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/7/19 at 11:46am

Pushing Daisies was amazing. But probably a little too quirky for a widespread audience

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#489Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/7/19 at 5:15pm

That was glorious, thank you Kristen. Now let's hear what Sutton can do.

LexiGirl Profile Photo
LexiGirl
#490Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/9/19 at 5:29pm

Arlove25 said: "Anyone know if tickets are going on sale Sept. 15th as announced earlier?"

Just saw in The Music Man official Instagram and Twitter posts that tickets are going on sale this Saturday the 14th! Still no venue announced though. 

Keiichi2 Profile Photo
Keiichi2
#491Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/9/19 at 5:38pm

LexiGirl said: "Arlove25 said: "Anyone know if tickets are going on sale Sept. 15th as announced earlier?"

Just saw inThe Music Man official Instagram and Twitter posts that tickets are going on sale this Saturday the 14th! Still no venue announced though.

"

Did they say what time the tickets go on sale?

LexiGirl Profile Photo
LexiGirl
#492Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/9/19 at 5:46pm

Keiichi2 said: "Did they say what time the tickets go on sale?"

They did not. I was wondering the same thing because I won’t have a lot of time to buy tickets that day. I’m thinking we’re in for a lot of announcements as Saturday approaches.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#493Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/9/19 at 6:43pm

Expect an announcement no later than Wednesday afternoon. That's when the early edition of Sunday's NYTIMES Fall Preview starts being delivered, and Rudin typically has a giant spread in the Fall Preview.

We should expect an announcement not unlike Mrs. Doubtfire and Beetlejuice's coordinated press-releases about McClure, except it will be a closing announcement (or moving announcement) + a theatre announcement.

Updated On: 9/9/19 at 06:43 PM

Owen Parker
#494Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/9/19 at 7:30pm

I was looking at Broadwayinbound.com and you could request to purchase tickets for groups over ten and they said no venue announced yet except the fact that it’s a Shubert theatre. They did have a seating chart which resembles the Sondheim Theatre seating chart, another website nyctix.com said the show would open at the Lyceum but had wrong dates so I would assume that’s not an option. I also know that the producer was looking at theatres and crossed off the winter garden for “being too big” but I guess we will see...

LINK TO SEATING CHART: https://www.broadwayinbound.com/product-resources/SeatingChartIcon2.jpg

LINK TO LYCEUM LINK:
https://www.nytix.com/shows/the-music-man

jo
#495Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/9/19 at 9:40pm

Hope it is the Winter Garden theatre!  It is built for musicals and expectations are this revival will be pretty popular.

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#496Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/9/19 at 10:24pm

This has been mentioned on threads before (I have even made this mistake), but NYTix is not a trusted website. A few months ago they claimed Company would go into Studio 54, which was completely false as it was confirmed by that point a Shubert house would have Company (now confirmed as the Jacob). Or that multiple shows would be playing at the CitS in March, which is not physically possible. My own guess with NYTix is they make up information just to seem more credible, do not trust them as giving future information. 

Edit: Also I think all shows that use Telecharge have the same "seating chart" like the one Music Man uses (BJ also uses it too at the very least), so that does not say either way if it's going to the Sondheim or not.

Updated On: 9/9/19 at 10:24 PM

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#497Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/10/19 at 10:44am

It's definitely the Winter Garden. Group pricing has been updated with a row breakdown, and orchestra goes to V. Mezzanine only goes to row G, so I'm assuming rows H and J will be considered the "cheap seats," whatever price they happen to be.

Owen Parker
#498Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/10/19 at 11:57am

CT2NYC said: "It's definitely the Winter Garden. Group pricing has been updated with a row breakdown, and orchestra goes to V. Mezzanine only goes to row G, so I'm assuming rows H and J will be considered the "cheap seats," whatever price they happen to be."

Where did it say that, can you link it. I heard the producer say that he didn’t want the winter garden because of the large size

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#499Hugh Jackman in The Music Man
Posted: 9/10/19 at 12:10pm

Owen Parker said: "CT2NYC said: "It's definitely the Winter Garden. Group pricing has been updated with a row breakdown, and orchestra goes to V. Mezzanine only goes to row G, so I'm assuming rows H and J will be considered the "cheap seats," whatever price they happen to be."

Where did it say that, can you link it. I heard the producer say that he didn’t want the winter garden because of the large size

"

Looks like the rows are no longer there, but this is what it was earlier:

Hugh Jackman in The Music Man

Videos