BEETLEJUICE Previews

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#275BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/16/19 at 7:59am

Impossible2 said: "Why don't you just go to Lincoln Centre where there is no lines x"

Doesn’t it open at noon on Saturdays? My detailed agenda has me in a different part of town before and after that, and burning up valuable time to head up there and back takes away from sightseeing at other locations. The Times Square TKTS location is better suited for trying to get in-and-out quickly for ticket purchasing and stay in the part of Manhattan I’m doing my sightseeing.

Updated On: 4/16/19 at 07:59 AM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#276BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/16/19 at 8:17am

TobiasRagg said: "The official trailer for Beetlejuice was released today!
https://youtu.be/KIY3Cxz37ag
"

I'm not sure if I ever saw the entire film (maybe just parts of it) and I previously had no interest in this show, but this footage was surprisingly appealing to me. Although I got the impression that Alex Brightman would quickly become tiresome in it, the rest of the show looked fun.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#277BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/16/19 at 8:24am

TobiasRagg said: "The official trailer for Beetlejuice was released today!
https://youtu.be/KIY3Cxz37ag
"

The trailer makes the show look MUCH better than it actually is.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#278BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/16/19 at 8:34am

bwayphreak234 said: "The trailer makes the show look MUCH better than it actually is."

Disagreed. The trailer pretty much captures the feel of the show and the experience I had.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#279BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/16/19 at 8:39am

Midnight Radio said: "YvanEhtNioj said: "Take a shot at the bar for every "I think it's horrible but the audience loved it I don't understand " comment. "

Im sorry, but this argument to undermine critique is so illegitimate. Watch a Trump rally.
"

Lmfao chill.  No one is undermining your thoughts. I'm just saying that there's a lot of the same comment. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

heathkliff
#280BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/16/19 at 12:32pm

Can anyone give an updated run time with intermission? 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#281BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/16/19 at 12:35pm

heathkliff said: "Can anyone give an updated run time with intermission?"

Including curtain call, I clocked it at 10:35 last night. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#282BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/16/19 at 3:45pm

The trailer is one of the best I’ve seen for a broadway show in a while. I think it will easily sell on that alone.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

herewegoabc
#283BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/16/19 at 5:36pm

I had a great time at this show, and the trailer just makes me want to go back after it opens. 

Updated On: 4/16/19 at 05:36 PM

VintageSnarker
#284BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/16/19 at 5:44pm

That's a good trailer. In spite of all the negative word of mouth on this thread, I'm taken with the visuals and the production value. 

I'm wary of the amount of tight shots in the trailer and yes, the songs don't sound very good but it looks like fun. If it makes it through the summer and I can see everything else I want to see, I might make time for this.

RumTumJM
#285BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/16/19 at 8:40pm

Any pyrotechnics/gunshots/etc in the show? 

Just wondering.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#286BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/16/19 at 9:26pm

dmwnc1959 said: "As soon as anyone sees a promo code that’ll work for amid-July evening performance please post it. I’m ready to buy but not at thefull $190 price for front row balcony. This will save me from waiting in the TKTS or Rush line and being disappointed.All I’ll have to do thenis to get my afternoon matinee around 10:30 when the TKTS linedies down and head out for my birthday lunch at Junior’s and a free slice of cheesecake. :)"

Keep in mind that if you bought from TKTS previously on your trip you can just show your TKTS ticket subsequently and they’ll move you to front of the line. I hope that helps and have a great time! 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#287BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/16/19 at 10:13pm

Watched the trailer. Nope, don’t think this one is for me. As opposed to Spongebob, which the more I saw the more I wanted to see it, this has the exact opposite effect on me.

NYCblurb
#288BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/16/19 at 11:08pm

Can anyone give an updated run time with intermission? 

Felt like six hours, thirteen minutes. Jesus Christmas, this thing wouldn't end. I did sample again after an awful DC sampling of the whole Beetle. No better. Perhaps worse really. Honestly. I am losing faith that Timbers has another good one in him. BLOODY BLOODY may have been the anomaly?

A lover of theater for decades. Teacher by day. Family man by night. See more theater than most, oftentimes a hesitant plus one.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#289BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/16/19 at 11:18pm

Just watched this cold (barely remember the movie) and my friends and I enjoyed it. Scenic design was great and from entering the doors I just felt like I was in a different world. 

I was surprised that I liked it despite all the negative reviews on here. Sure, I barely remember any of the songs but I was definitely entertained. 

Here's the trailer again embedded on here:

Updated On: 4/16/19 at 11:18 PM

brdway411
#290BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/17/19 at 12:17am

RumTumJM said: "Any pyrotechnics/gunshots/etc in the show?

Just wondering.
"

Yes to pyrotechnics, a few flash and bang effects. Lots of strobes and smoke/haze. 

Updated On: 4/17/19 at 12:17 AM

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#291BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/17/19 at 12:24am

So, to those who have seen both...

How does this compare to Warner Bros.'s recent Charlie and the Chocolate Factory West-End transfer from 2017?

Edit: I say transfer, but god knows both versions were so drastically different from one another. I am talking about the actual Broadway mounting of it, for clarification.

Updated On: 4/17/19 at 12:24 AM

brdway411
#292BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/17/19 at 12:27am

We really enjoyed this, it's this years Spongebob. Lots of fluff,very little substance, but a ton of fun. The movie (which I did not enjoy) this is not.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#293BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/17/19 at 12:56am

DiscoCrows said: "So, to those who have seen both...

How does this compare to Warner Bros.'s recentCharlie and the Chocolate FactoryWest-End transfer from 2017?"

Beetlejuice is practically Hamilton compared with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The Broadway version of that show was the pits.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#294BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/17/19 at 7:12am

DiscoCrows said: "So, to those who have seen both...

How does this compare to Warner Bros.'s recentCharlie and the Chocolate FactoryWest-End transfer from 2017?

Edit: I say transfer, but god knows both versions were so drastically different from one another. I am talking about the actual Broadway mounting of it, for clarification.
"

Beetlejuice is a masterpiece compared the atrocious train wreck that was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#295BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/17/19 at 7:52am

Ugh...I am so nervous about seeing this tonight (my son's pick) from these comments! Trying to keep an open mind!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#296BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/17/19 at 8:24am

dramamama611 said: "Ugh...I am so nervous about seeing this tonight (my son's pick) from these comments! Trying to keep an open mind!

"

Enjoy! I was nervous too when I saw it last night but I had low expectations and I ended up enjoying it. It was entertaining and you don't even have to think. No it's not groundbreaking but the set/scenic design is definitely wow. Made me feel like I was in a different world (similar to when I entered the set of Spongebob and Great comet.) If there's a Tony award this show can win it's scenic design. David Korins did a great job!

RumTumJM
#297BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/17/19 at 11:11am

brdway411 said: "RumTumJM said: "Any pyrotechnics/gunshots/etc in the show?

Just wondering.
"

Yes to pyrotechnics, a few flash and bang effects. Lots of strobes and smoke/haze.
"

Any of it particularly startling/jarring?

brdway411
#298BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/17/19 at 2:54pm

RumTumJM said: "brdway411 said: "RumTumJM said: "Any pyrotechnics/gunshots/etc in the show?

Just wondering.
"

"

Any of it particularly startling/jarring?

"

I didn't think so, the acts begin abruptly with strobes flashing, but most of the pyrotechnics are pretty well telegraphed. It's not like the Bodyguard (we saw it in London). That started with a gunshot and a blackout. Scared the crap out of us. 

brdway411
#299BEETLEJUICE Previews
Posted: 4/17/19 at 3:00pm

dramamama611 said: "Ugh...I am so nervous about seeing this tonight (my son's pick) from these comments! Trying to keep an open mind!

"

Think Spongebob.  It's not ground breaking, but it is just stupid fun. The sets are over the top. Definitely an Alex Timbers show (tons of lighting). I was expecting a total train wreck and had a smile on my face most of the show, and had quite a few LOL moments. I enjoyed the show more than the movie.