pixeltracker

Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix- Page 5

Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#100Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 12:44pm

James Corden is a talent, but he's already done Into The Woods and the upcoming CATS. Sexuality aside, do we really need him in another musical? I love Meryl and Nicole, but aren't there plenty of other A-Listers itching to do a movie musical for the first time. And casting Ariana is just going to lead to people bring up the "I couldn't understand a word she was saying in Hairspray" conversation. I hope the "nationwide talent search" for Emma leads right back to Caitlin Kinnunen's door.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#101Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 12:45pm

QueenAlice said: "I also think an actor's personal sexuality should have nothing to do with a role they are cast in."

How very heterosexual of you. 

52889j
#102Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 12:48pm

Lot666 said: "Re: "Awkwafina"

Monikers like this are just too affected for me to take seriously. When you have to try that hard to prove you're an "artist", I can't help but doubt your credibility. If that makes me judgmental, ignorant, and despicable, I'll own it.
"

Feelings on the moniker aside, the problem is that you referred to what you full-well knew was a human being as "something."

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#103Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 12:51pm

Jordan Catalano said: "QueenAlice said: "Ialso think an actor's personal sexuality should have nothing to do with a role they are cast in."

How very heterosexual of you.
"

How do you know if I'm heterosexual?  And perhaps you can elaborate more on why you feel a gay role should be played by a gay actor. I'm truly interested in your thoughts. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Jordan Catalano
#104Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 12:53pm

Because you’ve obviously never been starved to see someone “like you” represented on the screen by someone “like you”.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#105Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 12:55pm

Billy Porter made a great point about this in a recent interview. I suggest you all check it out. To sum it up, straight actors get the opportunity to be versatile (no pun intended) in their roles, while the majority of gay actors don't. 

Billy Porter Calls Out Straight Actors Playing Gay

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Jordan Catalano
#106Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 12:56pm

And I want to know why Nathan Lane isn’t playing Barry.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#107Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 12:57pm

It’s hilarious that folks don’t recognize this cast is insanely A List for a Netflix movie.

Theatre folks really lose perspective sometimes.

Is it gonna be good? Seeing as though they haven’t even started, who the hell knows. (Though I agree the source material is spotty at best.)

BentleyB
#108Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 12:58pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Because you’ve obviously never been starved to see someone “like you” represented on the screen by someone “like you”."

I agree with everyone of your thoughts on this and it will be offensive to me to see James Corden be a stereotype.  That is what annoys me.  Brooks and Sean Hayes can get away with it because they are poking fun at themselves.  And I love how everyone who hated this show is making comments about the casting. Yes it is silly and stupid, but had a great message and has given me 7 nights of entertainment and put a huge smile on my face.  I’ll be sad to see the final performance on the 11th of August. 

LS7188
#109Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 12:58pm

Lot666 said: "Re: "Awkwafina"

Monikers like this are just too affected for me to take seriously. When you have to try that hard to prove you're an "artist", I can't help but doubt your credibility. If that makes me judgmental, ignorant, and despicable, I'll own it.
"

So, did you not enjoy Lady GaGa in "A Star is Born"? 

I didn't expect the original cast members to be in the film adaptation, but I'm still hoping they have small roles/cameos in the film. Those that are quick to dismiss this due to the casting: Let me remind you that the producers and such connected with the show are a big part of the film as well, which makes me feel good and will continue to be positive about it. 

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#110Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 1:03pm

Representation matters people. If you disagree with that I just do not know what to tell you then. What Billy Porter said is beyond accurate. 

Jordan Catalano
#111Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 1:06pm

Mike Barrett said: "Representation matters people. If you disagree with that I just do not know what to tell you then. What Billy Porter said is beyond accurate."

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

astorian_ofthe_heart
#112Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 1:06pm

Jordan Catalano said: "And I want to know why Nathan Lane isn’t playing Barry."

Holy crap, you're right. I wonder if he had a scheduling conflict? I can't imagine they didn't go to him. 

I'm definitely disappointed that Corden is cast as Barry. He's going to be entertaining, but I would have rather a gay man play him. Awkwafina as Ms. Sheldon is going to be PERFECT. Her brand of humor is going to be on point for that role. I'm pretty happy with this cast, not gonna lie. Meryl as DeeDee... I really can't imagine a world where she doesn't crush this role.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#113Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 1:12pm

BJR said: "It’s hilarious that folks don’t recognize this cast is insanely A List for a Netflix movie.

Is it gonna be good? Seeing as though they haven’t even started, who the hell knows. (Though I agree the source material is spotty at best.)
"

For what it's worth, the original Deadline article states that Murphy will release it in movie theaters, to ensure it's eligible for all major awards. That's why he cast it like this - because he knows there will be awards buzz as we thank these straight icons for their bravery in telling a queer story.

LS7188
#114Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 1:13pm

Any word on if it's going to be "Live" like Grease/Rent Live on Fox or more like Les Mis (2012 film version)? 

MemorableUserName
#115Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 1:14pm

BJR said: "It’s hilarious that folks don’t recognize this cast is insanely A List for a Netflix movie.

"

Eh, it's not just the usual Netflix movie though. NF wants to be an Oscars player and has committed to giving this a fall 2020 theatrical release and awards push before it hits their service. Streep, Kidman and co. in awards bait doesn't seem insane at all. (Whether it has any chance of actually getting awards attention seems...dubious. But NF will probably throw as much money into the campaign as possible to try.)

MemorableUserName
#116Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 1:15pm

LS7188 said: "Any word on if it's going to be "Live" like Grease/RentLive on Fox or more like Les Mis (2012 film version)?"

It's not going to be live. It's a typical feature adaptation, filming this December to be released next fall.

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#117Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 1:52pm

I would not be upset if Ms. Streep has a scheduling conflict and she is replaced by Ms. Toni Colette.  In the least.  #SheMustBelt

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

Hamilfan2
#118Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 1:59pm

Jordan Catalano said: "And I want to know why Nathan Lane isn’t playing Barry."

Hasn't he retired from musicals?

JSquared2
#119Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 2:03pm

VotePeron said: "For what it's worth, the original Deadline article states that Murphywillrelease it in movie theaters, to ensure it's eligible for all major awards. That's why he cast it like this - because he knows there will be awards buzz as we thank these straight icons for their bravery in telling a queer story."

Meryl Streep, Ariana Grande, Nicole Kidman are --- gasp ----straight icons???  Boy, you sure don't get out much, do you?  The gays (myself included) LOVE these people!

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#120Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 2:06pm

Hamilfan2 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "And I want to know why Nathan Lane isn’t playing Barry."

Hasn't he retired from musicals?
"

From stage musicals yes, but I’m sure a nice check from Netflix could’ve made him appear in one on screen.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#121Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 2:09pm

Phenomenal cast and if you think Meryl, Nicole, and Ariana are "straight icons," you need to get your head out of the sand.

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#122Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 2:10pm

I’ll weigh in that I really don’t see the problem with a straight man playing a gay character. It’s called acting. A straight person can convincingly appear gay, and a gay person can convincingly appear straight

I totally agree. Most of the time, it's about making money and a name. He has a built in fan base, and that's just how it is. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#123Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 2:17pm

My thoughts:

Meryl: I’m expecting some “Devil Wears Prada” level of grandiosity and camp, but I’m worried about her ability to hit those high notes. I’ll give this a tenuous thumbs up. (Bette Midler could’ve eaten this role alive)

James: DAAAAMMMMIIITTTTTTTT. This is a Nathan Lane type of role. I’m sick of Corden and feel like he’s going to play this as a stereotype instead of a fleshed our being.

Nicole: A welcome surprise. It’s been almost 20 years since she did Moulin Rouge, but she landed an Oscar nod for that and I can imagine Murphy might beef the role up for her.

Rannells: I think he is the only one who is a perfect fit. A midwestern gay boy who grew up, went to New York, but still has a boyish charm about him. It fits like a glove.

Ariana: She only gets one song in the whole song plus the group numbers. Wonder if her role will get a little more beef to it.

Awkwafina: Meh, it’s a second banana bit part. Won’t get my knickers in a knot over this.

Key: Strange choice. Not sure how the chemistry will be with Meryl being almost a quarter century older than him but who knows?

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#124Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
Posted: 6/25/19 at 2:18pm

Ugh thinking about it Nathan Lane would really be great for this. Imagine him and Meryl together!!!