pixeltracker

West Side Story revival?- Page 20

West Side Story revival?

Globefan
#475West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/6/19 at 10:09pm

QueenAlice said: "Long preview period are about one thing: raising money. A production legally can raise money until opening night. Most shows raise a substantial amount of their capitalization during previews. If a show makes artistic changes that better the production in that window too, that's great, but its not usually the reason a show like WEST SIDE STORY will have 6 weeks or more of previews."

I predict during that six week period, I Feel Pretty and the ballet sequence will be restored. 

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#476West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/7/19 at 1:52am

QueenAlice said: "No smart producer ever puts their own money into shows."

As Max Bialystok would say, “that’s taboo!”

A Director
#477West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/7/19 at 2:12am

Wonder if there will ever be a video ad featuring the women in the cast? With all of Ivo's changes, in this production, Tony will kill Maria and go off with one of the Sharks boys at the end.

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#478West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/7/19 at 2:29am

A Director said: "Wonder if there will ever be a video ad featuring the women in the cast? With all of Ivo's changes, in this production, Tony will kill Maria and go off with one of the Sharks boys at the end."

he’s clearly obsessed with the male perspective. <<edited by BWW staff>> 

Updated On: 12/9/19 at 02:29 AM

SeanMartin2
#479West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/7/19 at 9:52am

Pity we couldnt see something like this, from the Komiche Opera in Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcpU-WObdXA

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#480West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/7/19 at 10:00am

Cast members have been reporting that Stephen Sondheim has regularly been attending rehearsals for this production of West Side Story. I doubt the final product- even with the cuts- is going to be as bizarre or unorthodox as some of the posters here are fetishizing...

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

trpguyy
#481West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/7/19 at 10:03am

Globefan said: “ I predict during that six week period, I Feel Pretty and the ballet sequence will be restored."

They won’t be. But there are many other cuts/changes that have yet to be approved by the Bernstein estate. The long preview period is going to be used quite a bit and changes will be plentiful.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#482West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/7/19 at 11:46am

Soooo...MUSIC MAN to the Broadway, yes?

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#483West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/7/19 at 1:59pm

trpguyy said: “They won’t be. But there are many other cuts/changes that have yet to be approved by the Bernstein estate. The long preview period is going to be used quite a bit and changes will be plentiful."

Agree. Why else have such a long preview process?

And I’m going first preview as I want to see where they started. 

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#484West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/7/19 at 4:36pm

he’s clearly obsessed with the male perspective. <<edited by BWW staff>>"

I totally agree. It may back fire on him for several different reasons. One of those reasons is the website and the outside of the theater has only males featured. I walked by with a few friends the other day, and while they don't enjoy theater as much as I do, they all know West Side Story. 

Friend 1: "Is this an all male production? Because that would be super!"

Friend 2: "Um, where are all the women? What is happening?"

Friend 3: "This isn't West Side Story, did they just borrow the name or something?".

So, it seems to be very confusing for people walking by, the person who doesn't know what to see while visiting New York, or someone who wants the classic version of this. There are many problematic things with this show, but confusing people is kind of a big one. 

Updated On: 12/9/19 at 04:36 PM

ukpuppetboy Profile Photo
ukpuppetboy
#485West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/7/19 at 4:50pm

I think it’s really exciting to have the opportunity to see a classic still surprise and thrill you like the first time.

Looking forward to catching this in the new year.  

Globefan
#486West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/7/19 at 7:16pm

BJR said: "trpguyy said: “They won’t be. But there are many other cuts/changes that have yet to be approved by the Bernstein estate. The long preview period is going to be used quite a bit and changes will be plentiful."

Agree. Why else have such a long preview process?

And I’m going first preview as I want to see where they started.

"Tell us everything after you go. 

JBC3
#487West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/7/19 at 7:50pm

Confusion is only a problem if it impacts ticket sales.

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#488West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/7/19 at 10:41pm

Good luck to the ENTIRE cast. I hope the show is a huge success.

ModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
#489West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/8/19 at 1:42pm

Haha. Yes, stating an opinion regarding casting is totally trolling a thread. Nope. Interjecting and speaking to other people that aren't addressing you isn't necessary or wanted, thanks so much, B. 

George, I simply meant you are congratulating everyone involved, including someone that no one wanted cast or that no one is really comfortable working with. <<edited by BWW staff>> , and the entire production has ignored it and looked the other way. This is one reason why this show will fail miserably. 

Updated On: 12/9/19 at 01:42 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#490West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/8/19 at 2:38pm

Well, obviously SOME people wanted him cast, and how do you know that "no one" is comfortable?

Dont get me wrong, Im not thrilled with his casting, but your constant hinting at it is trying.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#491West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/8/19 at 2:49pm

"I predict during that six week period, I Feel Pretty and the ballet sequence will be restored."

God, do I hope you're wrong. Our tickets are for December 29, and boy, would I be pissed to see the show without those 2 numbers and then to have them restored in time for the opening. 

Decades ago I saw the original production of SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE at a preview before "Children and Art" and "Lesson #8" had been added. It wasn't till I heard the cast album that I discovered what was missing from our performance. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#492West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/8/19 at 3:12pm

It's generally argued those songs saved George. Nice to hear that from someone who was actually there to recognize the difference. 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#493West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/8/19 at 3:21pm

^ My personal opinion is that those 2 songs are among the least effective in the whole score of SUNDAY, more like random sketches for song ideas that never coalesce into a complete satisfying number. But the shape of the two acts was certainly deeply imbalanced before those songs were added. And the character of Marie barely registered without her solo number.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#494West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/8/19 at 4:37pm

ModernMillie3 said: "He's a predator, and the entire production has ignored it and looked the other way. This is one reason why this show will fail miserably."

Say what you want him, but his casting is not going to have any factor whatsoever in the show's success/ failure.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#495West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/8/19 at 4:47pm

ModernMillie3 said: "Haha. Yes, stating an opinion regarding casting is totally trolling a thread. Nope. Interjecting and speaking to other people that aren't addressing you isn't necessary or wanted, thanks so much, B.

George, I simply meant you are congratulatingeveryone involved, including someone that no one wanted cast or that no one is really comfortable working with. <<edited by BWW staff>> and the entire production has ignored it and looked the other way. This is one reason why this show will fail miserably.
"

That is not what I even remotely meant.

Being cast in a reimagined classic must be very difficult. My message was just what it said - Me wishing luck to the cast (and let me add my good wishes are extended to the crew and production team). I truly hope it is a success.

Updated On: 12/9/19 at 04:47 PM

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#496West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/8/19 at 4:51pm

"Say what you want him, but his casting is not going to have any factor whatsoever in the show's success/ failure."

I disagree actually, and I think it already has if social media is any indication.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#497West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/8/19 at 4:56pm

LuPita2 said: "Say what you want him, but his casting is not going to have any factor whatsoever in the show's success/ failure."

I disagree actually, and I think it already has if social media is any indication.
"

There is such a small percentage of ticket buyers out there outside of the theatre community who even know about this scandal. Has this impacted SOME ticket sales? I'm sure it has. However, has this impacted most or all ticket sales? Not even close.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 12/8/19 at 04:56 PM

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#498West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/8/19 at 5:25pm

This has been discussed to death. New topic: I don’t think I’ve ever seen a production of WEST SIDE without the original choreography.

I’m excited to see how it plays without, since it’s both iconic but also so effective with storytelling.

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#499West Side Story revival?
Posted: 12/8/19 at 5:27pm

bwayphreak234 said: "LuPita2 said: "Say what you want him, but his casting is not going to have any factor whatsoever in the show's success/ failure."

"

There is such a small percentage of ticket buyers out there outside of the theatre community who even know about this scandal. Has thisimpacted SOME ticket sales?I'm sure it has. However, has thisimpacted most or all ticket sales? Not even close.

"

I think most are just disappointed that what’s supposed to be a safe and inclusive industry (as many see broadway) is really allowing something like this to be brushed aside. Specifically in the face of me too. 

I do predict as this show officially gets going there will definitely be increased chatter about his casting again.