pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 3:41pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 4/28/2019 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: BEAUTIFUL (11.1%), THE CHER SHOW (8.4%), PRETTY WOMAN: THE MUSICAL (8.2%), THE FERRYMAN (3.5%), ALL MY SONS (3.1%), NETWORK (1.3%), HILLARY AND CLINTON (1.2%), BEETLEJUICE (1%), AIN'T TOO PROUD (0.8%), KISS ME, KATE (0.7%), HADESTOWN (0.5%), WICKED (0.3%), THE LION KING (0.2%), HAMILTON (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance was: WAITRESS (-10.6%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (-10%), MEAN GIRLS (-6.6%), BE MORE CHILL (-5.5%), GARY: A SEQUEL TO TITUS ANDRONICUS (-4.6%), TOOTSIE (-4.5%), KING KONG (-3.5%), KING LEAR (-3.3%), CHICAGO (-2.5%), MY FAIR LADY (-2%), THE PROM (-1.5%), INK (-1.4%), WHAT THE CONSTITUTION MEANS TO ME (-1.2%), BURN THIS (-0.5%), FROZEN (-0.4%), ALADDIN (-0.4%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-0.2%), DEAR EVAN HANSEN (-0.2%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

BritCrit
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 4:11pm

Bit of an odd week this week, with high attendance figures, but many new musicals and medium-term runners having low potential %. If anything epitomises the problem Frozen faces, it is the fact that a $1.4 million gross is in line with previous non-vacation weeks (with very high attendance) but far below the $2.1 million potential gross listed this week (these figures seem a bit arbitary to me). It’s still probably above the nut by some distance, but epitomises Frozen’s “successful, but not successful enough” problem...

I hope the new musicals pick up, but Pretty Woman and The Cher Show could be in trouble unless they exceed expectations at the Tonys, which isn’t likely...

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 4:12pm

I'm surprised Be More Chill is doing as well as it is, but it does look like it seriously needs to expand its audience. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

barcelona20
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 4:16pm

Hadestown and Oklahoma appear to be the hits of the season.

Jish
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 4:27pm

barcelona20 said: "Hadestown and Oklahoma appearto be the hits of the season."

*cries in Ain't Too Proud*

Updated On: 4/29/19 at 04:27 PM

bear88
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 4:44pm

While some of the numbers may be distorted by a post-holiday hangover, a few things appear to stand out. Other things have me puzzled.

- Ain't Too Proud has quietly turned into a big hit. I know jukebox musicals often start strong and fade quickly, but this one is in very good shape for now. And it appears to be a likely Tony nominee, which it doesn't need now but still can't hurt.

- Hadestown looks to be set up nicely and should get a Tony nominations boost. Same with Oklahoma!

- Tootsie only had 7 shows last week, and still made a fair amount of money. Fewer seats sold than last week. Not sure what that means at this stage. It should get a Tony nominations boost too.

- Wouldn't the numbers for Tootsie, Beetlejuice, and Ink (to a lesser degree) have been hurt by Opening Night?

Jarethan
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 4:45pm

barcelona20 said: "Hadestown and Oklahoma appearto be the hits of the season."

I assume that you forgot Mockingbird and Network, to name two off the top of my head.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 4:49pm

The Cher Show got a nice boost thanks to Spring break!!

Anyone know why King Kong only did 7 performances?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 4:51pm

Kad said: "I'm surprised Be More Chill is doing as well as it is, but it does look like it seriously needs to expand its audience."

Still not at 100% which they expected...Nobody over 35 wants to sit through or experience BMC that's what our friends are saying! We're in our early 40's! NoTY!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 4:52pm

ACL2006 said: "The Cher Show got a nice boost thanks to Spring break!!

"

The Saturday matinee was canceled.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 4:53pm

Robbie2 said: "Kad said: "I'm surprised Be More Chill is doing as well as it is, but it does look like it seriously needs to expand its audience."

Still not at 100% which they expected...Nobody over 35wants to sit through or experience BMC that's whatour friends are saying! We're in our early 40's! NoTY!
"

No, I agree. I don't know any adults who care much about the show. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jarethan
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 4:56pm

What happened to Harry Potter's gross?  Have a lot of seats just come off of premium pricing?  I am thinking the incredible demand levels must be slowing a little, as the next ticket release will finally let you pick your own seats, among other things.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 5:31pm

Ain’t Too Proud hit 100% of gross potential for the first time, at a very healthy average ticket price of $127 and change. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 5:37pm

Jarethan said: "What happened to Harry Potter's gross? Have a lot of seats just come off of premium pricing? I am thinking the incredibledemand levelsmust be slowing a little, as the next ticket release will finally let you pick your own seats, among other things."

The week before was Easter weekend and a lot of people paid premium pricing whereas this past week not as many people did. This past week is similar to how Harry Potter was doing the week before Easter week.

Its gross % potential is still over 100% so that tells me producers must be happy!!!

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 5:42pm

ACL2006 said: "The Cher Show got a nice boost thanks to Spring break!!

"

the puppet malfunctioned at the matinee this past week so they refunded tickets. thats probably it?

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 5:44pm

also WTF how did lion king drop 600,000 dollars?!

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 5:48pm

getupngo said: "also WTF how did lion king drop 600,000 dollars?!"

Remember all the Disney shows (Aladdin, Lion King, Frozen) and Wicked had 9 performances last week (Easter week). They only had 8 performances this week and not as many people bought premium tix.

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 6:08pm

Wick3 said: "getupngo said: "also WTF how did lion king drop 600,000 dollars?!"

Remember all the Disney shows (Aladdin, Lion King, Frozen) and Wicked had 9 performances last week (Easter week). They only had 8 performances this week and not as many people bought premium tix.
"

ohhhhhh thanks wick Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19

Maybeel
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 6:19pm

I'm 45 and looking forward seeing Be More Chill for the 4th time this weekend. A lot of people I graduated college with have discovered the show recently, and a couple of the moms in my son's Boy Scouts den knew all the songs when I mentioned it...BMC is definitely enjoyable for all ages.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 6:22pm

Maybeel said: "I'm 45 and looking forward seeing Be More Chill for the 4th time this weekend. A lot of people I graduated college with have discovered the show recently, and a couple of the moms in my son's Boy Scouts den knew all the songs when I mentioned it...BMC is definitely enjoyable for all ages."

Then I must be long past the sell by date.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 6:26pm

Maybeel said: "I'm 45 and looking forward seeing Be More Chill for the 4th time this weekend. A lot of people I graduated college with have discovered the show recently, and a couple of the moms in my son's Boy Scouts den knew all the songs when I mentioned it...BMC is definitely enjoyable for all ages."

4th time...WHY? How can you sit through that noise and crap being presented on stage. Even my niece and nephews 14-22 say that show is so juvenile and stupid! 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 6:32pm

Robbie2 said: "4th time...WHY? How can you sit through that noise and crap being presented on stage. Even my niece and nephews 14-22 say that show is so juvenile and stupid!"

Different folks, different strokes, my guy

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 6:50pm

People like what they like. Resist the urge to sh*t on that.  

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 7:13pm

Exactly. In my 50's. I would see it again. Wasn't my favorite but could identify with a lot of it from my school days. And those kids work their butts off on that stage.

Just give the world Love.

Maybeel
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/19
Posted: 4/29/19 at 7:37pm

I also just heard from the principal at my daughter's school, a competitive performing arts high school, that the 68 theater kids who saw BMC on a field trip and all their adult chaperones LOVED it. Too bad it didn't please your nieces and nephews. Some of us are having a ton of fun!

Updated On: 4/29/19 at 07:37 PM