pixeltracker

FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews- Page 2

FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#25FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/4/19 at 1:06pm

LightsOut90 said: "this is apparently selling rather poorly which is surprising to be honest.

also thanks telecharge for making a $25 ticket into a 36$ one after fees -.-
"

I’m not surprised it’s selling poorly but I am surprised it is selling so poorly they had a promo for $25 tickets.

Also, fees suck but I have no issue paying $36 for a Broadway show and knowing I actually have a seat. No biggie.

VintageSnarker
#26FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/4/19 at 1:52pm

Telecharge is messed up for me right now. I briefly saw the tickets on the seating chart but now every time I try to look at the seating chart it's all blacked out as though there aren't any seats in the theater. Sigh... forget it.

forgetregret
#27FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/4/19 at 2:27pm

This happens to me a lot with Telecharge. If you switch to the option where Telecharge recommends seats, instead of letting you choose from a seating chart, it should work. It's not ideal but it does help.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#28FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/4/19 at 2:30pm

LightsOut90 said: "this is apparently selling rather poorly which is surprising to be honest.".

Really? I heard exactly the opposite and that they have a huge advance already.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#29FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/4/19 at 2:34pm

VintageSnarker said: "Telecharge is messed up for me right now. I briefly saw the tickets on the seating chart but now every time I try to look at the seating chart it's all blacked out as though there aren't any seats in the theater. Sigh... forget it."

You have to give it time to load. Just let it sit there, and, eventually, seats should show up.

JSquared2
#30FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/4/19 at 2:59pm

RaisedOnMusicals said: "LightsOut90 said: "this is apparently selling rather poorly which is surprising to be honest.".

Really? I heard exactly the opposite and that they have a huge advance already.

I heard the same  it’s going to be a tough ticket once performances get going  

UncleCharlie
#31FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/4/19 at 3:46pm

LightsOut90 said: "this is apparently selling rather poorly which is surprising to be honest.

also thanks telecharge for making a $25 ticket into a 36$ one after fees -.-
"

When did Telecharge start charging fees? Is this new? Just outrageous.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#32FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/4/19 at 4:01pm

When did Telecharge start charging fees? Is this new? Just outrageous.

ALL online ticket outlets have always charged service fees.  Only the theatre box office doesn’t.  It’s been this way for decades.  

UncleCharlie
#33FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/4/19 at 5:52pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "When did Telecharge start charging fees? Is this new? Just outrageous.

ALL online ticket outlets have always charged service fees. Only the theatre box office doesn’t. It’s been this way for decades.
"

Image result for joke over head

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#34FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/4/19 at 6:12pm

Thanks to whoever posted about the $25 seats. Was able to snag a ticket for next week Friday! :)

LightsOut90
#35FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/4/19 at 6:34pm

yeah its selling well, thats why they have so much inventory to burn during previews

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#36FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/4/19 at 7:03pm

If you're in Manhattan just drop by the Broadhurst Box Office and pay just $25 . I just bought mine for Wednesday the week before the opening and I got row D center mezz. I saved $11 on processing fees!

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#37FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/4/19 at 7:03pm

If you're in Manhattan just drop by the Broadhurst Box Office and pay just $25 . I just bought mine for Wednesday the week before the opening and I got row D center mezz. I saved $11 on processing fees!

Danielle49
#38FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/4/19 at 7:25pm

Markie27 said: "If you're in Manhattan just drop by the Broadhurst Box Office and pay just $25 . I just bought mine for Wednesday the week before the opening and I got row D center mezz. I saved $11 on processing fees!"

I assumed they’d sell faster which is why I didn’t do this  That’s alright, $36 is still a great deal for a seat that’s normally $150+

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#39FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/4/19 at 11:40pm

I was there tonight. It was quite a nuanced, intimate production with a stunning cast, and was already in good shape. It's a play where nothing much happens, yet a great deal happens. It follows two souls trapped in their unique shells trying to break through and connect over the course of a single night. With a less capable cast, it can drag really badly, but such are not Audra McDonald and Michael Shannon. They take every opportunity presented or hidden in the material and let the audience see a little more of the inner world of their character with every look, gesture, or word they utter. Now, I believe this production would be fantastic in a smaller playhouse. I was in second row from the stage so I was able to see the nuances in their performance, but I believe without being able to see their faces clearly the show can be quite bland except for the myriad sexual references. The audience burst into rapturous laughter whenever one is mentioned. However, 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

it is kind of sad because they characters hope they could connect through sex but it didn't work magic as they believed it would.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#40FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/5/19 at 9:34am

Well.....were they naked ? LOL

romain2
#41FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/5/19 at 10:31am

I attended the first preview. It’s in great shape. Terrence McNally was in the audience and acknowledged by the producers at the end (guy has at least one Broadway and one off-Broadway production for the past 6 decades). The show is very intimate with no flashy effects or BIG moments. And by the end I wanted to spend more time with these two characters—I didn’t want it to end. I’m visiting from Chicago where I get to see Michael Shannon in action in smaller spaces. He does beautifully controlled work here. He never pushes for effect. I had trouble hearing Audra a few times during the first act. But in the second half I had no trouble. I was in the first row of the mezz.

The audience did seem hyped up to laugh at everything. And yes the play is very funny. But a few times it did seem more like nervous laughter because of the show’s frankness. A few times I was like “uhm I don’t think the playwright meant that to be thaaaaaat funny or even funny at all.”

The actors are playing off each other beautifully. The play is an extended conversation and every interaction felt natural and real. It would make an interesting double feature with Burn This, another 80s play with a gay writer examining straight relationships during the early years of the AIDS crisis (the word AIDS isn’t spoken but one strange audience member at Frankie & Johnny yelled the word at one point to remind us what was being hinted at). Both plays feature women drawn to and repelled by troubling working class guys.

ryankon
#42FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/5/19 at 11:29am

I was there last night as well and had a similar response to romain2.  By the end of the evening I didn't want to say goodbye to these two characters.  The cumulative power of the play is quite overwhelming.  I was crying and didn't quite know why--but I believe it's because I was filled with a sense of hope for these two people but also overwhelmed by the beauty of what I'd just seen.   Two extraordinary actors playing off each other in a gorgeous, delicate piece that allows them to soar.  Similar to the previous poster I was at times frustrated by some of the audience laughter and hope that will sort itself out in previews(the play IS very funny but there were times it felt like the audience laughter was too much and even inappropriate).  I had some difficulty hearing Audra a few times early in the play as well(only a handful, to be fair).  It appeared there was a technical problem at the very end of the play but that didn't diminish the overall effect of the evening.  For a first preview it's in fantastic shape--Shannon and McDonald are two of our finest and they don't disappoint(and bless them for their courage and not taking an easy path with this piece).  I sat in middle of the mezz and sight lines were great--it's very intimate mezz and set has been wisely pressed forward so it felt like we right there with them.   One of those great New York nights.  

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#43FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/5/19 at 12:38pm

just used this code FJPBL307 and got a front row center Orchestra seat in June for $109

carnzee
#44FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/5/19 at 2:03pm

"The audience did seem hyped up to laugh at everything. And yes the play is very funny. But a few times it did seem more like nervous laughter because of the show’s frankness. A few times I was like “uhm I don’t think the playwright meant that to be thaaaaaat funny or even funny at all "

I've noticed this at other plays. There is so much inappropriate laughter; the Broadway audience seems to want everything to be a laugh line, even lines that are only "funny" in an ironic way.

I saw John Lithgow discuss this while he was appearing in A Delicate Balance. It must be hard on the performers.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#45FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/5/19 at 2:08pm

So I’ll add in: nudity? Yes? No? Past productions had it so others are curious if this one does as well. Thanks!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#46FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/5/19 at 2:09pm

I’ll never forget the audience laughing their asses off during the “rape” scene in the last revival of STREETCAR and I was just dumbfounded.

vegas3
#47FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/5/19 at 3:47pm

Is the stage very high?  If I sit in the front row, will I miss anything or get a stiff neck?  Thanks.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#48FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/5/19 at 3:57pm

In London recently, when I saw this new production of Caroline, or Change, the audience erupted into hysterical laughter on the line "Hell's where Jews go when they die." I was absolutely appalled.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#49FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/5/19 at 4:00pm

bear88 said: "I was skeptical that the sales would start at midnight. I was wrong. We just got home from seeing Vanity Fair in San Francisco and got fifth row center mezzanine.

So now that I finally got a great deal, the play will probably be inexplicably bad.

Thanks for the tip. There are still plenty of $25 tickets available.

I've never been at the Broadhurst. How's the mezzanine?
"

Open views ~ great sightlines from the mezzanine

FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George