pixeltracker

2019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread- Page 3

2019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#502019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:31pm

Theatrefanboy1 said: "Charlie Williams. In well fitted tux pants, dress shirt and suspenders. Whatever he’s selling. I’m buying."

I usually try not to get too thirsty on here, but...yes. I agree with this. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#512019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:32pm

What's with the paltry applause for Elaine May?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#522019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:34pm

Why do they keep flashing "LIVE" this year? Why is that all of a sudden a big deal?

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#532019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:35pm

They need to remind people this is not Rent: Live. 

RWPrincess
#542019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:36pm

So happy for Elaine May. Well deserved!

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#552019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:36pm

Uh ... Santino Fontana reads as way too young for Michael/Dorothy. Michael is supposed to be a somewhat middle-aged dude who has acquired a rep as "difficult" and can't find work.

SFFrontRow
#562019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:38pm

ucjrdude902 said: "Why do they keep flashing "LIVE" this year? Why is that all of a sudden a big deal?"

Because when we see it out on the west coast, it will NOT be live and we have to be reminded... it will say Live on the screen and then "Recorded from an earlier telecast" underneath that. Its like and Ionesco play.

So keep feeding us left coasters the winners... LOL

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#572019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:38pm

Kiss Me Kate losing Best Choreography is  definitely a surprise. Given all the tech awards for Hadestown so far I'm sensing a Band's Visit like sweep for it. 

BamaEd
#582019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:40pm

What a wonderful speech from Elaine May. That is what natural funny is people.

Fun number from Tootsie. Santino did a great job.

Wow, they are wanting to get plays out of the way quickly huh?

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#592019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:40pm

That "Tootsie" sure didn't roll!!!

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#602019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:41pm

Santino is a star. Loved it. 

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#612019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:41pm

poisonivy2 said: "Uh ... Santino Fontana reads as way too young for Michael/Dorothy. Michael is supposed to be a somewhat middle-aged dude who has acquired a rep as "difficult" and can't find work."

The character is not middle-aged in this adaptation. Might have been that way in the movie but the character is fairly different in the musical.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#622019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:42pm

Didn't make me want to see it -- it felt "old" to me.   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#632019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:42pm

Cheno is with her personal assistant who I saw in Naked Boys.

I found the singing in Ain’t Too Proud lackluster. I agree with the cruise ship comment

Elaine May deserved a standing ovation.

That Tootsie song was dismal. Is that the best they have? Yikes.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#642019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:43pm

Pose2 said: "Santino is a star. Loved it."

He shines ~ Tootsie what fun...great performance. Will sell tickets !

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

RWPrincess
#652019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

poisonivy2 said: "Uh ... Santino Fontana reads as way too young for Michael/Dorothy. Michael is supposed to be a somewhat middle-aged dude who has acquired a rep as "difficult" and can't find work."

He’s supposed to be 40. I think he looks age appropriate. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#662019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

Did they shorten the number? Want this the song with the nod to Cassie in A Chorus Line? The moment had me laughing even after the number ended.

Just give the world Love.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#672019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

So far Id buy tickets to Tootise over ATP by a long shot. 

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#682019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:44pm

Theatrefanboy1 said: "Charlie Williams. In well fitted tux pants, dress shirt and suspenders. Whatever he’s selling. I’m buying. "

Thank you! Love Charlie. I’m glad he’s short — 5’6 or 5’7 — so he’s always in front of ensemble numbers. 2019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

brdway411
#692019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:44pm

I loved the book for Tootsie, I hated the music. Almost wish they would have just done it as a play instead of a musical.

LS7188
#702019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:46pm

SFFrontRow said: "ucjrdude902 said: "Why do they keep flashing "LIVE" this year? Why is that all of a sudden a big deal?"

Because when we see it out on the west coast, it will NOT be live and we have to be reminded... it will say Live on the screen and then "Recorded from an earlier telecast" underneath that. Its like and Ionesco play.

So keep feeding us left coasters the winners... LOL
"

I could've sworn they aired it live on the west coast as well a few years ago-- or maybe I'm thinking of a different awards show? I wonder why they don't just do that and then re-air it again right after for those that missed it?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#712019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:46pm

I don't want to buy tix to Ain't Too Proud - but I don't like bio-musicals.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#722019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:48pm

Yay Andre de Shields! Disappointed for Patrick Page though 2019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#732019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:51pm

I was rooting for Patrick Page, but you can’t say that André de Shields hasn’t given any short of an amazing performance this season. Plus...well...his career and all.  This was a well earned and deserved award.

WaffleOnWheels
#742019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:51pm

Wow what a speech Andre De Shields.