pixeltracker

Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12

Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12

#1Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 11:41am

https://twitter.com/TootsieMusical/status/1138831472167723008

"Due to an unexpected personal matter, @SantinoFontana will miss the matinee performance today and will return for the evening performance tonight."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 11:43am

Oh wow! I assume Jeff Kready is going on.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

#3Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 11:45am

LizzieCurry said: "Oh wow! I assume Jeff Kready is going on."

I'd love to see his take on the role! I loved him in Gentlemen's Guide.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#4Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 11:45am

Is this Jeff's first time going on?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

#5Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 11:47am

ACL2006 said: "Is this Jeff's first time going on?"

Yes, I believe so.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#6Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 11:53am

Very disappointing for those that were expecting to see this Tony winning performance. I hope & trust that they will give refunds or exchanges. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#7Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 12:01pm

qolbinau said: "Very disappointing for those that were expecting to see this Tony winning performance. I hope & trust that they will give refunds or exchanges."

I am sure they will. Santino has been around the block and back again. He likely knows his performance is what many ticket buyers are coming to see, especially in the next few weeks. It is kind that the production to announce it on twitter hours before the performance, when they legally they only need to make a mention in the call board and or in the playbill and or before the curtain rises. 

Updated On: 6/12/19 at 12:01 PM

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#8Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 12:15pm

qolbinau said: "Very disappointing for those that were expecting to see this Tony winning performance. I hope & trust that they will give refunds or exchanges."

S&%t happens. Tony campaign season is a lot of work/vocal stress/extra rehearsals/shaking dirty hands, on top of an 8-show week. His wife is also expecting (as we learned the other night), and sometimes "life gets in the way" of the show. Santino also hasn't had a day off since the Tonys: Tootsie is dark Thurs nights, so they had a performance less than 24 hrs after he won his Tony.

I'm sure Jeff Kready will be great, and I'm sure they'll exchange tix for anyone who wants to go back to see Santino.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#9Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 12:31pm

It's not the absence I'm curious about, people often have good reasons to miss shows. It's more how the Producers respond to ticketholders I am curious about. Typically in New York though I must admit they are very very consumer-oriented and good about it. So much better than some of the scamming that goes on in the West End.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

DrMike3 Profile Photo
DrMike3
#10Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 1:51pm

Damn, damn, damn, damn. I'd grown accustomed to his face!

Of course I did not see this notice till I was inside in my seat, so too late for me. He was the whole reason I was here, and I am really bummed.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#11Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 2:09pm

I hope all is well with his pregnant wife and child-to-be.

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#12Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 2:42pm

I know people are disappointed but I still really want to hear back on how Jeff Kready is. Intermission should be very soon so I'm excited to see how people react to Fontana's standby

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#13Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 2:45pm

qolbinau said: " So much better than some of the scamming that goes on in the West End."

Maybe this question warrants its own thread (or maybe it has already had its own thread), but would you be willing to say more about this? I’ve seen my fair share of West End shows, but never had an experience with a big star being out.

I’m surprised to hear that because in my experience, London theatres tend to be very accommodating. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#14Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 2:47pm

Well, seeing how it was already stated he'd be in for the evening show, I'm guessing it's not a health/pregnancy related thing.  (Well, hopefully.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Hamilfan2
#15Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 2:55pm

JBroadway said: "qolbinau said: "So much better than some of the scamming that goes on in the West End."

Maybe this question warrants its own thread (or maybe it has already had its own thread), but would you be willing to say more about this?I’ve seen my fair share of West End shows, but never had an experience with a big star being out.

I’m surprised to hear that because in my experience,London theatres tend to bevery accommodating.
"

I'm assuming the OP is alluding to the fact that London is notoriously bad at announcing understudies, they don't update their cast boards and usually the only way to know if any understudy is going on is to buy a programme which will have a little understudy slip in it.  Otherwise, you have no clue until the show actually starts.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#16Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 3:13pm

JBroadway said: "qolbinau said: "So much better than some of the scamming that goes on in the West End."

Maybe this question warrants its own thread (or maybe it has already had its own thread), but would you be willing to say more about this?I’ve seen my fair share of West End shows, but never had an experience with a big star being out.

I’m surprised to hear that because in my experience,London theatres tend to bevery accommodating.
"

They would not refund for Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard or Sheridan Smith in Funny Girl, among others (Kelli O'Hara in King and I if I recall was another - but I can't confirm for sure). The general policy is they won't refund if any star is out, with few exceptions. The worst is that there are also a bunch of west end fans who, in some kind of odd stockholm syndrome, not only tolerate but encourage this behaviour. 

Updated On: 6/12/19 at 03:13 PM

LizzieCurry
#17Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 3:15pm

IS it Jeff Kready? Or is it Nick Spangler? I don't see it in either of their mentions on twitter.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#18Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 3:21pm

LizzieCurry said: "IS it Jeff Kready? Or is it Nick Spangler? I don't see it in either of their mentions on twitter."

Kready is standby, Spangler is understudy, so *usually* the standby is in the “first position” to go on. (It would also be the least disruptive option, because Kready doesn’t have an ensemble track.) 

LizzieCurry
#19Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 3:24pm

I'm aware! I was mostly curious and surprised there hasn't been at least one "break a leg, jeff!" tweet.

DrMike3 Profile Photo
DrMike3
#20Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 8:12pm

It was Jeff Kready and I wish I could tell you how he was. But I really wanted to see Santino and I was seated next to an armrest hog, so I took advantage of the show's "Post-Dated Ticket" exchange offer and traded in before the show for next week. They were extremely understanding and I called for the exchange right from the Lobby so, alas, I did not see the performance today.

I hope he was great! He only tweets about once a month, and no one has tweeted about his performance yet.

Updated On: 6/12/19 at 08:12 PM

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#21Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 8:21pm

Dang, so nobody can report back today? I wonder the next time Fontana will be out

MannPhan24601
#22Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 9:15pm

Was he back tonight????

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#23Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 9:25pm

This was just like when I missed Kelli right after she won her Tony for TKaI. So I feel you, DrMike. Hoping Santino and his baby are okay.

Gizmo6
#24Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/12/19 at 9:49pm

I detest this attitude and wonder how anyone who truly loves the art of theatre could think like this. 

UncleCharlie
#25Santino Fontana OUT of Tootsie Matinee 6/12
Posted: 6/13/19 at 12:13am

Found out what happened. Nothing related to his family, etc. He had to appear in court to answer a criminal complaint of fraud for impersonating a woman to take advantage of a Time Square Bar's "Ladies Drink Free" promotion.

Updated On: 6/13/19 at 12:13 AM