pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 3:04pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 10/13/2019 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: THE LIGHTNING THIEF (20%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (15.6%), WICKED (14.6%), BEETLEJUICE (14.1%), CHICAGO (13.7%), MEAN GIRLS (11.9%), BETRAYAL (10.4%), WAITRESS (10.4%), OKLAHOMA! (10.4%), FROZEN (10.2%), TOOTSIE (9.9%), LINDA VISTA (8.3%), THE ROSE TATTOO (6.7%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (5.5%), DEAR EVAN HANSEN (4%), AIN'T TOO PROUD (3.9%), THE SOUND INSIDE (3.3%), ALADDIN (3%), BEAUTIFUL (2.4%), THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM (2.3%), COME FROM AWAY (1.2%), THE LION KING (0.6%), HADESTOWN (0.5%), TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (0.2%), MOULIN ROUGE! (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance was: FREESTYLE LOVE SUPREME (-10%), THE GREAT SOCIETY (-5.1%), AMERICAN UTOPIA (-5%), THE INHERITANCE (-1.8%), SLAVE PLAY (-1.2%), DERREN BROWN: SECRET (-1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Sponsored By: The Book of Mormon - The New York Times calls The Book of Mormon "the best musical of this century." The Washington Post says, "It is the kind of evening that restores your faith in musicals." And Entertainment Weekly says, "Grade A: the funniest musical of all time." Jimmy Fallon of The Tonight Show calls it "Genius. Brilliant. Phenomenal." The Book of Mormon, the nine-time Tony Award®-winning Best Musical.

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 3:10pm

I'm surprised at how good this week looked across the board (with a few exceptions). Is Columbus Day weekend big for theater-going?

And congrats to Beetlejuice - I think this is their best week yet.

Joe Mayo
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 3:14pm

Kitsune said: "I'm surprised at how good this week looked across the board (with a few exceptions). Is Columbus Day weekend big for theater-going?

"

Was going to say the same, strong week all around minus the usual suspects.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 3:29pm

Agreed very happy for Beetlejuice! 

Also kudos to BEAUTIFUL! First time it went over 100% potential gross in years. I know it's closing soon but great to see that it's able to sell tickets comping too many before it closes. 

I'm very happy for Moulin Rouge as well. I'm not an accountant but its grosses has been over $2 million each week! Do you guys think it can recoup before the end of this year? 

Jarethan
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 3:35pm

Happy to see Slave Play growing. Needs to sustain these crosses to have a chance of returning investment. Surprised at just how bad Lind Vista is doing.

Finally, didn’t Yom Kippur fall this week?? Historically, grosses fell the week of Yom Kippur, sometimes significantly.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 4:32pm

When I was looking for tickets for a show this past Sunday afternoon, most shows were doing 2 on Sunday: 2 pm matinee ( not 3 pm) and 7 pm. I guess for the holiday and so many tourists in town ( me included!) ? Some shows were doing 1 pm and 6 pm.

I opted for 2 pm Beautiful and the theater was packed! Not an empty seat.

So 2 shows on a Sunday definitely helped everyone’s box office. No?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 5:00pm

Wick3 said: "I'm very happy for Moulin Rouge as well. I'm not an accountant but its grosses has been over $2 million each week! Do you guys think it can recoup before the end of this year?"

Before the end of 2019? No. Before the 2020 Tonys? Possibly! The capitalization is said to be $28m, but the weekly operating costs have to be exorbitant because of all the music licensing. Just doing quick math:  If we assume its weekly running cost is $1.1m, and if its grosses continue as they have been, it should recoup sometime in February.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 5:31pm

David10086 said: "So 2 shows on a Sunday definitely helped everyone’s box office. No? "

Well, most shows still only performed 8 shows last week so that wouldn’t seem to be an overly deciding factor. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 7:55pm

Miles2Go2 said: "David10086 said: "So 2 shows on a Sunday definitely helped everyone’s box office. No? "

Well, most shows stillonly performed 8 shows last week so that wouldn’t seem to be an overlydeciding factor.
"

Actually when performances are do play a major role in on how well shows sell.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 9:34pm

Kitsune said: "I'm surprised at how good this week looked across the board (with a few exceptions). Is Columbus Day weekend big for theater-going?

"

It's a big weekend for NY tourism in general. Hotel prices skyrocket for the middle of October, to accommodate demand so I'm assuming that accounts for some of the success this week.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 9:37pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Miles2Go2 said: "David10086 said: "So 2 shows on a Sunday definitely helped everyone’s box office. No? "

Well, most shows stillonly performed 8 shows last week so that wouldn’t seem to be an overlydeciding factor.
"

Actually when performances are doplay a major role in on how well shows sell.
"

I’m sure it plays a role. Whether it plays a major role I’m not sure. That’s not meant to be snarky. I honestly don’t know. 

Theater3232
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 9:59pm

Why would ticket demand increase during mid-October?  I thought it was typically summer, and between Thanksgiving and New Years.

SouthernCakes
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 10:00pm

I’d think Beetlejuice would do well in the fall

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 10:17pm

msmp said: "

It's a big weekend for NY tourism in general. Hotel prices skyrocket for the middle of October, to accommodate demand so I'm assuming that accounts for some of the success this week."

Actually the reason I went this weekend was because of the deals the hotels were giving !  Found a great price at a hotel in TS I usually stay at for Sunday night and grabbed it. Glad I did! Other hotels I checked were also giving great deals for the weekend. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 11:02pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Wick3 said: "I'm very happy for Moulin Rouge as well. I'm not an accountant but its grosses has been over $2 million each week! Do you guys think it can recoup before the end of this year?"

Before the end of 2019? No. Before the 2020 Tonys? Possibly!The capitalization is said to be $28m, but the weekly operating costs have to beexorbitantbecause of all the music licensing. Just doing quick math: If we assume its weekly running cost is $1.1m, and if its grosses continue as they have been, it should recoup sometime in February.
"

Wow had no idea it was $28 million! Yes I agree then that sometime in the late winter or early spring it should recoup if it keeps on having grosses of over $2 million each week (provided weekly nut is around $1 million/week.)

Fredrich Yeager
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/15/19 at 11:59pm

Echoing onto other responses, why was this such a good week for everybody? Someone mentioned now being a popular time for tourism in NYC, but I don't know why that's the case either. I'd think young people are in school now, and there are no celebratory holidays (I've never heard of a Yom Kippur vacation) so people wouldn't be inclined to take time off work for leisure.

AEA AGMA SM
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/16/19 at 12:41am

The weekend before Columbus Day tends to see a spike in what I would call the mini-vacations. Not so much the people doing the week long type of trips from far away, but people within that four hour or so travel circle who can make use of the three day weekend that a lot of people get.

Dolly80
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/16/19 at 5:53am

Wick3 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Wick3 said: "I'm very happy for Moulin Rouge as well. I'm not an accountant but its grosses has been over $2 million each week! Do you guys think it can recoup before the end of this year?"

Before the end of 2019? No. Before the 2020 Tonys? Possibly!The capitalization is said to be $28m, but the weekly operating costs have to beexorbitantbecause of all the music licensing. Just doing quick math: If we assume its weekly running cost is $1.1m, and if its grosses continue as they have been, it should recoup sometime in February.
"

Wow had no idea it was $28 million! Yes I agree then that sometime in the late winter or early spring it should recoup if it keeps on having grosses of over $2 million each week (provided weekly nut is around $1 million/week.)
"

Why are so many people obsessed with when a show recoups? It’s bizarre. Ya’ll got money in these shows?!

magictodo123
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/16/19 at 6:39am

Dolly80 said: "Wick3 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Wick3 said: "I'm very happy for Moulin Rouge as well. I'm not an accountant but its grosses has been over $2 million each week! Do you guys think it can recoup before the end of this year?"

"

"

Why are so many people obsessed with when a show recoups? It’s bizarre. Ya’ll got money in these shows?!
"

This made me laugh--I feel the same. The need to know when a show recoups, or feeling the need to know that the public needs to know when a show recoups absolutely puzzles me. 

Braniff Forever
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/16/19 at 7:27am

Maybe they do have money in it and would rather ask a question here versus asking their producer questions (ugh, I speak from experience, lol!) then you might say, “that’s not a great relationship with your producer if you would have to ask a public forum versus asking your producer” but that was the case for me....then you’ll say, “you shouldn’t be investing,” Lol!

Anyway, what I was wanting to ask here was why Is Linda Vista doing so badly? I saw it and really liked it! But then a friend saw it and didn’t like it and found it boring (I actually also sawSlave Play snd found it boring). I thought Linda Vista was well acted and quite engaging but then I’m a similar demographic as the main character.

magictodo123
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/16/19 at 7:36am

Braniff Forever said: "Maybe they do have money in it and would rather ask a question here versus asking their producer questions (ugh, I speak from experience, lol!) then you might say, “that’s not a great relationship with your producer if you would have to ask a public forum versus asking your producer” but that was the case for me....then you’ll say, “you shouldn’t be investing,” Lol!

Anyway, what I was wanting to ask here was why Is Linda Vista doing so badly? I saw it and really liked it! But then a friend saw it and didn’t like it and found it boring (I actually also sawSlave Play snd found it boring). I thought Linda Vista was well acted and quite engaging but then I’m a similar demographic as the main character.
"

I understand what you're saying. I just still don't understand the fascination or people demanding to know when it happens. We're not entitled to this information. 

Re: Linda Vista...has there been good promotional material put out there? 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/16/19 at 7:42am

If a show recoups, it goes from flop to hit. Sounds interesting enough to me.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/16/19 at 7:45am

Well, we all make a big deal over whether or not a show is a hit or a flop based on recoupment - so that's one reason people "care"  - but other than that, I don't get it, either.

I know THIS weekend hotels were CRAZY expensive, which is why I'm doing a marathon DAY, up and back from Boston with two shows in between.  Sunday is for sleeping.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Braniff Forever
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/16/19 at 7:51am

I’m not sure as to what promotional material has been put out for Linda Vista but it looks like the show has issues. The % of the Theater seats filled is quite high at 87% but the only way they are doing that is by selling the tickets at a very low average price for $40 which is extremely low for Broadway standards. Maybe they are trying to fill the theater with low prices in order to generate good word of mouth? I don’t know. I think the story is very well done, but am not sure why it doesn’t resonate more with people? Maybe Tracy Letts himself should get out there and do more promotion himself for his play if he wants it to be successful on Broadway? Maybe he could get his good friend Laurie Metcalf to help promote the play. Too bad she couldn’t have been in it. That would have helped to draw people by giving a name in it.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/13/19
Posted: 10/16/19 at 8:00am

Metcalf doesn’t sell tickets and certainly isn’t going to promote a show she isn’t in.

Videos