pixeltracker

Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?- Page 2

Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#25Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/29/19 at 12:01am

Mame.  It really should be revived.

The Bridges of Madison County.

Updated On: 10/29/19 at 12:01 AM

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#26Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/29/19 at 1:42am

Witches of Eastwick.

magictodo123
#27Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/29/19 at 5:13am

I’ve never seen a production of Ragtime but “Wheels of a Dream” is absolutely gorgeous.

Templeton33
#28Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/29/19 at 11:33am

Steel Pier.

Mark Waltz Profile Photo
Mark Waltz
#29Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/29/19 at 12:08pm

So many great responses to this thread, but in addition to Mack & Mabel (which I will see at Encores), Dear World (saw the York production, but would love to see a full scale revival) and Steel Pier, I truly love:

My Favorite Year

Two By Two

Darling of the Day

If I Had a Ball

Bajour 

I'm also going to add one I did see in two different productions, Do I Hear a Waltz? (Pasadena, 2001, and the City Center Revival), because it always gives me a lot of joy, and it is rather obscure.

One Grecian Ern
Updated On: 10/29/19 at 12:08 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#30Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/29/19 at 1:34pm

Little Me, particularly the Martin Short/Faith Prince production.

And add this to "favorite cast album for a show you will NEVER get to see:" Disney's On the Record. The show wasn't great shakes in the original staging, which is probably why Disney Theatricals has permanently shelved it and replaced it with a more family-targeted arena-based revue called "When You Wish," but that cast recording is the "Side by Side by Sondheim" of Disney. Great jazz arrangements and incredible vocal performances.

Miserent Profile Photo
Miserent
#31Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/29/19 at 1:38pm

Dreamgirls and Company.  I cannot wait to see Company in the spring, but what's the deal with the London revival of Dreamgirls?  I would love to have that show back on Broadway!

Jarethan
#32Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/29/19 at 1:56pm

Mark Waltz said: "So many great responses to this thread, but in addition to Mack & Mabel (which I will see at Encores), Dear World (saw the York production, but would love to see a full scale revival) and Steel Pier, I truly love:

My Favorite Year

Two By Two

Darling of the Day

If I Had a Ball

Bajour

I'm also going to add one I did see in two different productions, Do I Hear a Waltz? (Pasadena, 2001, and the City Center Revival), because it always gives me a lot of joy, and it is rather obscure.
"

One of the only benefits of getting old is that I have some great memories (and some not so great) from those shows, all of which I saw when I was in my teens and twenties.  If you like these, you should also search out Drat The Dat, which has a wonderful recording, although not of the original cast.  

In order of enjoyment in the theatre, I would rank them:

Great Entertainment, Truly Underappreciated:

Darling of the Day (and terrific score by Jules Styne and Yip Harburg).  Did get a number of excellent reviews.

Drat The Cat (delightful score)

Enjoyable, But Only an Okay Show:

Dear World (Terrific traditional Jerry Herman score, with #1 stupidest title song ever written IMO...the purpose of the song and the lyrics were atrocious, but the melody was solid Herman).  The only one I saw more than once, and I saw it three times)

Two by Two (enjoyable score, but low-grade Richard Rodgers)

I Had a Ball (I honestly don't remember the score; the fact that I didn't buy the OCR means that I probably didn't thank it was very good...you could get the album for about $2.00 if you waited for a sale, $3 or $4 if not)

Do I Hear a Waltz (same opinion as I Had...Your post is making me think I should search this one out...Rodgers and Sondheim must translate into a number of enjoyable songs)

Bajour (same opinion as I Had a Ball)

Terrible

Mack and Mabel (great score (best on this list or D of Day), terrible show)

My Favorite Year (mediocre score IMO, disappointing musical...better suited IMO to a traditional Broadway Theatre).

ahhrealmonsters
#33Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/29/19 at 1:58pm

Six. I can't stop listening to it. I plan on seeing the show when it comes to Broadway next year, but until then, it's at the top of my list.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#34Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/29/19 at 1:59pm

Honestly, two of mind seem so main stream I'm kind of embaressed to say. But in all honesty, there haven't been any major, regional, or community productions of these 3 three: Follies, Gypsy, and Dreamgirls. I have seen the movies, filmed stage versions, and have read the librettos for all, but never seen live.

Also, to add to darquegk, I LOVE "On the Record". I play it all the time. I wish it would come back. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Jarethan
#35Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/29/19 at 2:06pm

ErinDillyFan said: "Oh, yes Rags!When will that be done near me? 14 years and counting... EDIT: It appears that this has been taken out of licensing. Is it being reworked for another Broadway run? The Magic Show has also been removed from licensing.

Bells are Ringing is a wonderful show, should be done more...

Gigi. Only the movie... Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
"

I actually love the show's recording as much as the movie's.  Biggest reason: I love Corey Cott's voice, not so much Louis Jourdan's (sic).  I love The Contract (didn't even like it in 1973), which was added for the show.  I love both Hermoine Gingold's and Victoria Clark's choices, and I think Dee Hoty is great in a role that had no singing in the movie.  Howard McGillin is solid, but Maurice Chevalier IS Honore.  Finally, Gigi does not have the best songs...I thought Hudgens and Caron were both wonderful, although Caron will always be the only  Gigi for me.  Disappointed that they eliminated Gigi's best song, Say a Little Prayer.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#36Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/29/19 at 3:17pm

Fashionguru, I actually ended up talking to someone high up at Disney Theatricals about it, because I had wanted to produce the show. They've shelved it and it's probably/definitely not coming back. I think musicians and cabaret types are universally enamored of it, while Disney Theatricals audiences are universally bored or baffled by it.

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#37Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/29/19 at 3:18pm

Mark Waltz said: "So many great responses to this thread, but in addition to Mack & Mabel (which I will see at Encores), Dear World (saw the York production, but would love to see a full scale revival) and Steel Pier, I truly love:

My Favorite Year

Two By Two

Darling of the Day

If I Had a Ball

Bajour

Definitely some obscure titles there.  I have all those cast albums and will have to review.  Mack & Mabel is a favorite.  I got to see a wonderful production of Dear World.  The set and costumes were all bright and whimsical, just a wonderful pleasant surprise.  The lead was brilliant.  The videos of the original Broadway production seem so dark and dreary.

I saw a college production of My Favorite Year which was very enjoyable.  Two By Two has been done near me twice in the last few years and I didn't try too hard to see it.  Will have put these into my listening rotation.

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#38Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/29/19 at 3:23pm

Listening to Lord of the Rings now. Much better than I remember it.  Definitely more movie soundtrack like than musical.  But, that stage show was done much more like a movie than a stage show.  The set was pneumatic and could change in seconds, so there were what seemed like "movie" cuts in the action.

ImaginaryManticore
#39Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/29/19 at 6:19pm

ErinDillyFan said: "Current that place is held by "Here Lies Love"

2nd:Marguerite
"

I saw Marguerite in London. It had its flaws and was possibly trying too hard to be dark and serious, but parts of it were thrilling and genuinely disturbing. I wonder what would have happened if it had opened in a smaller theatre and had more development. I loved it at the time, but I was a teenager and loved most things I saw, so who knows.

The Other One
#40Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/30/19 at 9:25am

Jarethan said: 

Gigi. Only the movie.
I thought Hudgens and Caron were both wonderful, although Caron will always be the only Gigi for me. Disappointed that they eliminated Gigi's best song, Say a Little Prayer.

This is a charming error.  The omitted song is "Say A Prayer For Me Tonight," not "I Say A Little Prayer," which is a very different song.  It puts a smile on my face to think of any actress who plays Gigi breaking into "I Say A Little Prayer." wink

"

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#41Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/30/19 at 1:21pm

Here Lies Love

City of Angels

I did see Follies once upon a time - but I was young, and in the free seats at The Muny in St. Louis - and have few memories of the show, so it is almost as if I'd never seen it. 

Assassins

viagalactica6
#42Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/30/19 at 1:33pm

I loved the cast album of GYPSY! God what I would have given to have heard Merman sing that score live. I had the rare opportunity to sit in back of her at a performance of IRENE on Broadway starring Jane Powell. I told her how exciting she was on the recording. She replied in her own inimitable voice "Thanks honey!"

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#43Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/30/19 at 2:05pm

The Rink and Kiss of The Spider Woman

seriously13
#44Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/30/19 at 2:15pm

Jesus Christ Superstar

SisterGeorge
#45Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/30/19 at 6:07pm

The Other One said: "Jarethan said:

Gigi. Only the movie.
I thought Hudgens and Caron were both wonderful, although Caron will always be the only Gigi for me. Disappointed that they eliminated Gigi's best song, Say a Little Prayer.

This is a charming error. The omitted song is "Say A Prayer For Me Tonight," not "I Say A Little Prayer," which is a very different song. It puts a smile on my face to think of any actress who plays Gigi breaking into"I Say A Little Prayer."wink

"

Speaking of which, for years mine was PROMISES, PROMISES, but then I saw the Chenoweth/Hayes revival and more recently the Transport Group's concert performance. Neither lived up to the expectations created by the original Broadway or London recordings.

Sister George

Jarethan
#46Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/30/19 at 7:03pm

The Other One said: "Jarethan said:

Gigi. Only the movie.

This is a charming error. The omitted song is "Say A Prayer For Me Tonight," not "I Say A Little Prayer," which is a very different song. It puts a smile on my face to think of any actress who plays Gigi breaking into"I Say A Little Prayer."wink

"

"

Abbreviating, and there was no 'I' in my title.

gibsons2
#47Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 10/31/19 at 5:04pm

It's not a cast album, but I've been obsessing lately with those short Youtube videos of Lempicka musical songs. Those songs are amazing and haunting. I'm looking forward to the Broadway production, hopefully, next year.

Um Kulthum Profile Photo
Um Kulthum
#48Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 11/12/19 at 10:45am

Lately I've been loving the 2017 recording of Brigadoon with Kelli O'Hara and Stephanie J. Block. I've seen the movie, ages ago, but never the stage show and it seems so fun!

Millie Lammoreaux
#49Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
Posted: 11/12/19 at 4:27pm

"City of Angels"

Love the clever lyrics and the authentic swing score.

It's too early for noches.