InTheBathroom1
#100Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/13/20 at 8:34pm

I think it’s open ended with tix on sale through June

CoercedBull Profile Photo
CoercedBull
#101Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/13/20 at 11:47pm

This just took my expectations for this show and skyrocketed them. Both these songs are gorgeous, the title number especially so. I am so, so excited to see this next month!!

CoercedBull
#102Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/13/20 at 11:47pm

This just took my expectations for this show and skyrocketed them. Both these songs are gorgeous, the title number especially so. I am so, so excited to see this next month!!

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#103Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/14/20 at 12:55am

Listening to all these sneak peaks makes me pumped for this show. Really hoping for a cast album so I can hear Cusack on repeat with that title song, it's just too good!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#104Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/14/20 at 4:48am

jacobsnchz14 said: "Laura Heywood also posted the full title number:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2X8b59upqE"

Carmen sounds great!!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#105Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/14/20 at 8:22am

LOVE the title song. I am so excited to see this.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 2/14/20 at 08:22 AM

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#106Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/14/20 at 11:50am

*immediately buys ticket*

Honest to goodness legit singing in a new broadway musical. *jubilation*

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#107Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/14/20 at 11:56am

FYI, on the Telecharge app, they're selling center orchestra row A for previews, while the seating chart on the website has B as the first row.

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#108Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/14/20 at 12:50pm

Wayman_Wong said: "I'ma fan of Tom Kitt's songs. His pop-rock scores are often so melodic and catchy. I especially love''Next to Normal,'' ''High Fidelity'' and ''If/Then.'' I've got high hopes for ''Flying Over Sunset.''"

Tom Kitt's rock score for "Almost Famous" is wonderful. I fell in love with the show in San Diego.

As for "High Fidelity", it is one of the most underrated shows of the last 20 years. It was miscast and badly directed.  Scott Miller, an amazing director and writer out of St. Louis wrote a great defense of the musical.

http://www.newlinetheatre.com/hifichapter.html

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#109Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/14/20 at 1:50pm

What’s the chance this can extend to September? Does the theatre have another booking? I assume they must be hoping for an extended run or they’ll never recover enough costs.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

HBBrock
#110Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/14/20 at 6:02pm

I expect this show to be all over TDF. It would be lucky to get through it's scheduled run. No way this extends.

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#111Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/15/20 at 11:17am

Someone on YouTube commented that the opening song sounds like one of Cecily Strong’s sketches on SNL where she sings an obscure musical theatre song, and now that’s all I hear.

SouthernCakes
#112Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/15/20 at 11:46am

I would think it would absolutely extend through Labor Day if the notices are good and it picks up some awards.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#113Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/15/20 at 2:54pm

I wonder if this could feasibly win the Tony Award for Best Musical. Maybe I’m forgetting something but it seems like a pretty thin season? Six? Mrs Doubtfire?

BroadwayBear2
#114Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/15/20 at 2:58pm

The creative team and cast scream Tony Winning Best Musical, but who knows. Anything can happen, but personally--this is my top contender....especially after hearing that title song. Feels like a big departure for Tom Kitt, which is very exciting.

somechrysanthemumtea Profile Photo
somechrysanthemumtea
#115Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/16/20 at 5:19am

It's a gorgeous title song - and I'm fascinated by how much LSD figures into the storyline. Very excited to hear the rest of the score, and hear about the staging (choreography?), and other performances. Grey Gardens vibes, too. Hope it's a hit! 

SouthernCakes
#116Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/16/20 at 11:42am

I did hate Lapine’s design/direction for Falsettos. But did love the show and performances. So.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#117Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/21/20 at 12:58pm

HBBrock said: "I expect this show to be all over TDF. It would be lucky to get through it's scheduled run. No way this extends."

I've just had a look and ouch ticket sales do not look good at the moment.

Pashacar
#118Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/21/20 at 1:06pm

qolbinau said: "HBBrock said: "I expect this show to be all over TDF. It would be lucky to get through it's scheduled run. No way this extends."

I've just had a look and ouch ticket sales do not look good at the moment.
"

I doubt anyone is surprised by that. This is one that's going to build, if it does, once performances start and WOM can spread.

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#119Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/21/20 at 1:50pm

I certainly think that this has a fighting chance BUT we need to really see the full package. I always like to point out a few seasons ago with Bullets Over Broadway. From the time that it was announced, through rehearsals and development everyone thought that it was going to be a clear contender and a hit and sweep the Tonys. What fools were were back then. Even with the rehearsal footage people sang it from the heavens. Then the show actually opened and... woof.

Until the show starts actually playing and people see it, I don't think anyone can really say for certain what it's going to be. Especially since they are so SO minimal on what information we are getting here.

Though that title song is just... stunning. Yet I don't like the other songs featured in the press event as much as everyone else does. This could be original brilliance that becomes a new classic. This could be a misguided miss with a few great songs but a sloppy book. We just don't know yet.

CoercedBull
#120Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/21/20 at 4:29pm

Some more previews posted on FB!

I agree with Scarlet Leigh that the fate of this show remains up in the air (no pun intended), but the songs we've heard so far are so, so promising. Seems like a real departure for Kitt in the best possible way, and I am getting more and more excited for this show with each passing day!!

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#121Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/24/20 at 10:40am

"I wonder if this could feasibly win the Tony Award for Best Musical. Maybe I’m forgetting something but it seems like a pretty thin season? Six? Mrs Doubtfire?"

You forgot Moulin Rouge which opened late 2019. Tony will probably go to Six or Moulin Rogue IMO.

Falsettolands
#122Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/24/20 at 10:55am

I wonder if Cusack will be petitioned for Leading when it comes Tony time. She may actually have a feasible shot, depending on reviews. Though I have a very hard time believing she won't be stunning.

perfectliar
#123Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/24/20 at 11:10am

yankeefan7 said: ""I wonder if this could feasibly win the Tony Award for Best Musical. Maybe I’m forgetting something but it seems like a pretty thin season? Six? Mrs Doubtfire?"

You forgot Moulin Rouge which opened late 2019. Tony will probably go to Six or Moulin Rogue IMO.
"

We're also forgetting that Jagged Little Pull got some great notices

LexiGirl Profile Photo
LexiGirl
#124Flying Over Sunset
Posted: 2/24/20 at 1:59pm

Scarlet Leigh said: "Though that title song is just... stunning."

I have not been able to get that song out of my head! I constantly find myself singing it. I’m trying to see if I can find a way to fit it into my April trip.