pixeltracker

National Theatre's weekly free stream (Treasure Island this week)

National Theatre's weekly free stream (Treasure Island this week)

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#1National Theatre's weekly free stream (Treasure Island this week)
Posted: 3/26/20 at 9:16am

Update: Treasure Island is streaming this week. Starting today at 7PM GMT.

http://filmedonstage.com/news/114-streaming-tonight-the-national-theatres-treasure-island

Amazing news, as the National also plans to upload a new production every Thursday to their Youtube channel!

http://filmedonstage.com/news/86-tonight-only-free-watch-party-of-james-corden-in-quotone-man-two-guvnorsquot

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.
Updated On: 4/16/20 at 09:16 AM

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#2National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 3/26/20 at 5:51pm

Years ago I went to go and rush Once, saw that the line was way too long for me to have a chance at getting a ticket, and went to see this instead knowing nothing about other than it being across the street. I didn't even know who James Corden was! I loved it -- thrilled I can relive this moment!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#3National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 3/26/20 at 7:11pm

I want them to stream the Frankenstein with Cumberbatch and Miller! I did not see Cumberbatch as Doctor Frankenstein....

willep
#4National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 3/26/20 at 9:21pm

One Man... is definitely one of the most fun nights of theatre I’ve ever had and I can’t wait to watch it again. I’ve been so hoping that the National Theatre would start releasing these for quarantine viewing.

As for Frankenstein, I loved watching that when they broadcast it. In my opinion the best pairing was Cumberbatch as the creature, but both are great!

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#5National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 3/26/20 at 10:38pm

This is awesome! I remember when James Corden won the Tony for this role back in 2012 and he was up against some amazing actors (Philip Seymour Hoffman, James Earl Jones, Frank Langella, John Lithgow).

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#6National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 3/27/20 at 6:53am

I of course agree that this is great, but i'm wondering how they could have worked out the rights to stream this for free in a matter of two weeks, after NTLive constantly said that they absolutely can not make any of their productions available in any form (other than the cinema showings) I know these are different times, but i doubt they're not paying for the rights to do this, so...

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#7National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 3/27/20 at 9:32am

I imagine for the same reason other theatres have been able to. These are very special circumstances. Perhaps some people are waving royalties, especially in the instances of streaming things for free. Or unions have quickly negotiated contracts that just apply to the shutdowns. UK unions are famously less strict than the US, but the contracts the unions cut for the filmed shows are expensive, which is why this isn't done more often.

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#8National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 3/27/20 at 5:15pm

BJR said: "I imagine for the same reason other theatres have been able to. These are very special circumstances. Perhaps some people are waving royalties, especially in the instances of streaming things for free. Or unions have quickly negotiated contracts that just apply to the shutdowns. UK unions are famously less strict than the US, but the contracts the unions cut for the filmed shows are expensive, which is why this isn't done more often."

You're right about the UK unions. I hope that when this ends, Broadway unions will show more appreciation to preserving shows on film.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#9National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 3/27/20 at 8:52pm

If I had to think of top 5 shows on Broadway in my lifetime that I wish I could have seen, this is in my top 5. Well, time to cross it off the list! At least I have Thursday to look forward to assuming I stay healthy. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#10National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 3/28/20 at 12:31pm

They can take it down, but it will not be GONE, and to me that is beautiful. In eighty years, when college students are studying the "new vaudeville" and the play with music/vaudeville/clowning fusion movement, they'll have One Man Two Guvnors, as well as the Bill Irwin PBS specials, to study.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 3/28/20 at 1:00pm

TaleofTwo said: "BJR said: "I imagine for the same reason other theatres have been able to. These are very special circumstances. Perhaps some people are waving royalties, especially in the instances of streaming things for free. Or unions have quickly negotiated contracts that just apply to the shutdowns. UK unions are famously less strict than the US, but the contracts the unions cut for the filmed shows are expensive, which is why this isn't done more often."

You're right about the UK unions. I hope that when this ends, Broadway unions will show more appreciation to preserving shows on film.
"

Shows are recorded for preservation regularly, at all levels of theatre, with union blessing.

Recording for distribution is something entirely different than preservation.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

binau Profile Photo
binau
#12National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 3/28/20 at 1:21pm

I wonder though why we aim to preserve things if we won't let many people watch it. Surely when we keep seeing that American shows are being filmed in the UK with often lesser casts and sometimes lesser production values you have to ask yourself if the Labour Laws around this in NYC are doing more harm than good. Having your performance filmed and distributed to a wide audience is a privilege for actors and creatives these days and something that we shouldn't make prohibitively expensive because the two alternatives seem worse: no filming at all or outsourcing the jobs overseas.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#13National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 3/29/20 at 10:36am

qolbinau said: "I wonder though why we aim to preserve things if we won't let many people watch it. Surely when we keep seeing that American shows are being filmed in the UK with often lesser casts andsometimes lesser production valuesyou have to ask yourself if the Labour Laws around this in NYC are doing more harm than good. Having your performance filmed and distributed to a wide audience is a privilege for actors and creatives these days and something that we shouldn't make prohibitively expensive because the two alternatives seem worse: no filming at all or outsourcing the jobs overseas."

Exactly. Ask the casts of Kiss Me, Kate, Billy Elliot, Kinky Boots, The King and I, An American in Paris, RED,........ All filmed in the UK.

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#14National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 4/2/20 at 1:16am

The show is premiering with a watch party tonight (April 2nd) at 7PM GMT

http://filmedonstage.com/news/86-tonight-only-free-watch-party-of-james-corden-in-quotone-man-two-guvnorsquot

HoldMeBatBOy
#15National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 4/2/20 at 9:34am

Still confused on when to tune in here in NYC? I’ve heard 2pm and 1pm. Also, I heard that the National Theatre is leaving up the video for a week. Is this true or can you only watch it live? Any help would be appreciated!

HoldMeBatBOy
#16National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 4/2/20 at 9:34am

Still confused on when to tune in here in NYC? I’ve heard 2pm and 1pm. Also, I heard that the National Theatre is leaving up the video for a week. Is this true or can you only watch it live? Any help would be appreciated!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#17National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 4/2/20 at 11:05am

This will be up today Thursday April 2, 2020 at 3pm EST (NYC time). It will remain to stream anytime until next Thursday April 9, 2020.

The link to watch is on this link.  Click where is says: WATCH NOW

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#19National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 4/2/20 at 11:46am

CT2NYC said: "It starts at 2pm EDT.

https://youtu.be/XzqcRwWVv8k
"

Thanks!  Sadly, the info on the website is still incorrect.  Many will be watching an hour into this. 

National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#20National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 4/2/20 at 3:15pm

Anyone watching? It's pretty great!

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#21National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 4/2/20 at 7:08pm

Tuning in now at 7 p.m. EST, which apparently is the wrong time, but it says it is available for awhile. Anyway, when I click Watch Now it wants me download an invasive attachment that says it can change what I read or something.

Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Thanks for posting the direct YouTube link... but it's not running now. I will check back later.

Updated On: 4/2/20 at 07:08 PM

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#22National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 4/2/20 at 7:25pm

Stage Door Sally said: "Tuning innow at 7 p.m. EST, which apparently is the wrong time, but it says it is available for awhile. Anyway, when I click Watch Now itwants me download an invasive attachment that says it can change what I read or something.

EDIT: Thanks for posting the direct YouTube link... but it's not running now. I will check back later.
"

The show is running now. Once the livestream ended at 4:40p, it became a regular YouTube video, and it'll be available for the next week.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#23National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 4/2/20 at 7:34pm

Thanks... so odd, I can get it on my laptop... not my desktop... anyway enjoying it now, thanks!

Jarethan
#24National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 4/2/20 at 11:18pm

Just finished watching it.  Was laughing out loud a number of times.  In an incredible year, Corden deserved his Tony.  The lengthy scene where he is serving dinner to his two governors has to rank as one of the funniest scenes I have ever seen in any show or movie; the scene where Corden was fighting with himself was also just classic.  The Tony award nominations for Featured Actor were richly deserved as ever.  When the elderly waiter was told to go get the soup, I lost it, as I did when I saw it live.

That said, the second act was not as good as I remembered it being, but it was still very enjoyable.  For anyone who has never seen it, you really should watch it, just to see Corden.

220Basswood
#25National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!
Posted: 4/2/20 at 11:38pm

Stage Door Sally said: "Tuning innow at 7 p.m. EST, which apparently is the wrong time, but it says it is available for awhile. Anyway, when I click Watch Now itwants me download an invasive attachment that says it can change what I read or something.

It was 7pm London time.  Not 7pm EST.  If you goto National Theater Live's website you can watch it wouldn't having to download anything.