Shut down until June 7

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#150Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/11/20 at 10:45am

" This gives you an idea of what a fully operational business looks like during a pandemic.  We don’t know yet what level of social distancing measures will be applied to open theatres and for how long.

If you buy a ticket to a show now. That “ seat” may well be removed even if that performance goes ahead. "

If Broadway is closed thru Labor Day and the theaters have to start removing seats, I think it is over for them. You have lost the biggest time of year for ticket sales and how many shows can survive. Do we magically think once Broadway opens in September that tourists are suddenly going to flock to NYC the heart of the coronavirus outbreak when weather gets cooler and virus might come back. So many people in NY may have lost their job for good so I don't think there are going to be plenty of people out there rushing the box office when it opens again.

Less seats means less revenue and they already are losing tons of money. Sure, they could charge more money for seats but with so many people unemployed for months I don't think that would be wise idea. Believe me, I hope I am wrong and other people here know the business of Broadway better than me. I just think the outlook is very grim sadly.

IAMREADING
#151Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/17/20 at 1:20pm

The President of The Broadway League did an interview with Deadline and said they're looking at September or later :/

https://deadline.com/2020/04/reopening-broadway-charlotte-st-martin-broadway-league-candid-conversation-1202910054/

St. Martin wants to set the record straight. The president of the Broadway League, the trade group representing theater owners, producers, presenters and general managers on Broadway and theaters throughout North America, says that June 7 was never announced as a date certain for the Broadway reopening – or even a date uncertain.

A June 7 reopening was “never, ever the case. We did not say that,” St. Martin tells Deadline.

“We just said that [at that point] we were exchanging and refunding tickets up to June 7. I mean, every couple of days our guesstimates go further out. As late as two weeks ago we were thinking that with any luck we might be up by July and that a worst case scenario might be September. Now the best guesses are that unless there’s serious testing and information that we don’t currently have, we’re probably looking at September or later.”

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#152Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/17/20 at 1:24pm

Yeah, June was never an option to reopen, I have planned on a Fall re-opening for awhile now. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#153Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/17/20 at 1:31pm

ACL2006 said: "I would also assume that whenever they reopen, they may be forced to limit capacity. I definitely wouldn't expect packed houses for quite some time."

And then you have to look at things like the bathroom lines, the bathrooms themselves, concessions, picking up tickets, intermission, dressing rooms for front of house and actors..how close actors are together onstage....the list goes on an on..

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#154Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/17/20 at 1:39pm

SmoothLover said: "ACL2006 said: "I would also assume that whenever they reopen, they may be forced to limit capacity. I definitely wouldn't expect packed houses for quite some time."

And then you have to look at things like the bathroom lines, the bathrooms themselves, concessions, picking up tickets, intermission, dressing rooms for front of house and actors..how close actors are together onstage....the list goes on an on..
"

Maybe a third layer at the entrance:

1) forehead thermometer scans

2) security and bag check

3) scan tickets  

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#155Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/19/20 at 4:30pm

Sutton Ross said: "Yeah, June was never an option to reopen, I have planned on a Fall re-opening for awhile now."

St. Martin wants to set the record straight. The president of the Broadway League, the trade group representing theater owners, producers, presenters and general managers on Broadway and theaters throughout North America, says that June 7 was never announced as a date certain for the Broadway reopening – or even a date uncertain.

A June 7 reopening was “never, ever the case. We did not say that,” St. Martin tells Deadline.

“We just said that [at that point] we were exchanging and refunding tickets up to June 7. I mean, every couple of days our guesstimates go further out. As late as two weeks ago we were thinking that with any luck we might be up by July and that a worst case scenario might be September. Now the best guesses are that unless there’s serious testing and information that we don’t currently have, we’re probably looking at September or later.”

A lot of changes will need to take place before BWAY reopens these theaters...Capacity, seating, in general something will need to happen as nobody is going to feel comfortable sitting so closely and cramped togerther again once they reopen and yes I do believe we will all be wearing masks watching performances in the future!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/19/20 at 04:30 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#156Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/19/20 at 5:05pm

Yeah, which is why it pisses me off when the Hudson theater tells me "we are planning on beginning performances for Plaza Suite June 9th!". Annoying AF. 

MCW1227 Profile Photo
MCW1227
#157Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/19/20 at 6:22pm

Sutton Ross said: "Yeah, which is why it pisses me off when the Hudson theater tells me "we are planning on beginning performances for Plaza Suite June 9th!". Annoying AF."

That’s their way of hanging on to your money.  It is crazy that we’ve known how many performances up to a June 9th have been cancelled but you have wait for them to call you( usually not until the week of the performance) and then they ask if you want a refund.  When you say yes, they tell you that it takes another month to issue the credit.  So technically even though they know the show won’t run, you have to wait about 3 months to get your money back.  Totally ridiculous.  I got a credit for to Kill a Mockingbird two days after the show date.  

Be Kind

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#158Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/19/20 at 6:49pm

Sutton Ross said: "Yeah, which is why it pisses me off when the Hudson theater tells me "we are planning on beginning performances for Plaza Suite June 9th!". Annoying AF."

TOTALLY Sutton! Nobody should be purchasing tickets for future shows now until we have a better idea of when BWAY will reopen and we just don't know that!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/19/20 at 06:49 PM

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#159Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/19/20 at 8:00pm

Theater opening back up in fall is a dream at this point, especially in NYC.

Darreyl with an L!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#160Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 10:51am

Our illustrious mayor has now cancelled all non essential gatherings thru June. Thank God this horror show of a mayor will be gone after this year. Sadly his replacement will be more of the same. After the smoke clears on this what will Broadway and NYC look like? Until the 6 feet rule is done away with Broadway cannot operate. NYC will never again be the tourist destination it was .

Poster Emeritus

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#161Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 10:59am

Mr Roxy said: "Our illustrious mayor has now cancelled all non essential gatherings thru June. Thank God this horror show of a mayor will be gone after this year. Sadly his replacement will be more of the same. After the smoke clears on this what will Broadway and NYC look like? Until the 6 feet rule is done away with Broadway cannot operate. NYC will never again be the tourist destination it was . "

I miss your absence. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#162Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 11:20am

Mr Roxy said: "Our illustrious mayor has now cancelled all non essential gatherings thru June. Thank God this horror show of a mayor will be gone after this year. Sadly his replacement will be more of the same. After the smoke clears on this what will Broadway and NYC look like? Until the 6 feet rule is done away with Broadway cannot operate. NYC will never again be the tourist destination it was . "

You’re literally the epicentre of this pandemic in America... what did you expect him to do? “Let’s just open everything and hope for the best” ???

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#163Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 11:22am

Roxy is and has always been the Florida of this message board.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#164Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 11:27am

Mr Roxy said: "Our illustrious mayor has now cancelled all non essential gatherings thru June. Thank God this horror show of a mayor will be gone after this year. Sadly his replacement will be more of the same. After the smoke clears on this what will Broadway and NYC look like? Until the 6 feet rule is done away with Broadway cannot operate. NYC will never again be the tourist destination it was ."

What's more concerning to me is the number of people who are at risk of dying this summer, not just from COVID-19, but based on the fact that NYC will not open its outdoor pools, likely won't open the beaches and we aren't positive when places like libraries and community centers will re-open. People in New York die every year from the heat and they won't have anywhere to go to escape it because of the risks of gathering in large groups. I'm very sad that I won't be able to go to the theater, but I'm more concerned about other people's safeties, and I'd rather see a phased approach to reopening that protects them. 

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#165Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 11:32am

When the sainted Obama was president we had the swine flu. Killed betweenn35 to 45 thousand deaths. We had no shutdowns and no one was calling for his head on a pole. Right now people are asked to choose between their health or their livelihood if they ever had one. Bottom line is NYC will feel the effects of this long after the hysteria is done. Is it really necessary ? Is is really worthy of us to count each death on a tote board? How will subway and bus commuting be after this is over? Due to gross mismanagement at the MTA fares will need to double and even than they will still need the state and/or city to kick in billions. Where will that come from ?Will The exodus of people from the city and state escalate to tax friendly states ? May wind up the cure was worse than the disease .

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 4/20/20 at 11:32 AM

Broadway61004
#166Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 11:37am

Realistically, things were not going to be up and running by June.  However, I 100% agree that it doesn't make sense to assume ANYTHING right now.  So I'm really not sure why everything was canceled today.  Living in NYC in the heart of all this, I have zero clue what it's going to look like next week, let alone two months from now.  So were all of these events likely going to end up being canceled?  Probably.  But I just don't understand the point of definitively saying right now "Everything is shut down" especially when your own governor is still saying "May 15th" (which yes, will almost assuredly be extended, but again, the point is we don't know.  We don't know, so why are we making these definitive statements this far in advance?)

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#167Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 11:41am

Mr Roxy said: "When the sainted Obama was president we had the swine flu. Killed betweenn35 to 45 thousand deaths. We had no shutdowns and no one was calling for his head on a pole. Right now people are asked to choose between their health or their livelihood if they ever had one. Bottom line is NYC will feel the effects of this long after the hysteria is done. Is it really necessary ? Is is really worthy of us to count each death on a tote board? How will subway and bus commuting be after this is over? Due to gross mismanagement at the MTA fares will need to double and even than they will still need the state and/or city to kick in billions. Where will that come from ?Will The exodus of people from the city and state escalate to tax friendly states ? May wind up the cure was worse than the disease ."

Did you know that in 2018 New York paid $26 billion more in federal taxes than it got back in federal aid? Maybe we could get some of that money. 

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#168Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 11:44am

Mr Roxy said: "When the sainted Obama was president we had the swine flu. Killed betweenn35 to 45 thousand deaths. We had no shutdowns and no one was calling for his head on a pole. Right now people are asked to choose between their health or their livelihood if they ever had one. Bottom line is NYC will feel the effects of this long after the hysteria is done. Is it really necessary ? Is is really worthy of us to count each death on a tote board? How will subway and bus commuting be after this is over? Due to gross mismanagement at the MTA fares will need to double and even than they will still need the state and/or city to kick in billions. Where will that come from ?Will The exodus of people from the city and state escalate to tax friendly states ? May wind up the cure was worse than the disease ."

If we needed to hear these rote repetitions of tepid conservative pundit soundbites, we could just cut out the middle man and watch Fox News.

The swine flu was a different situation and handled appropriately by the Obama administration.

Politifact on this.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#169Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 11:52am

The only time I realize Mr Roxy still exists is when someone copies what they have said. Was tired of his posts years ago.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#170Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 11:55am

Mr Roxy said: "When the sainted Obama was president "

I wouldn't go so far as to call Obama a "saint," but thank you for recognizing and reminding us what an exceptional President he was and what an extraordinary man he continues to be.  I'm sure you'll agree that the vulgar person who currently fouls the Oval Office is completely out of Obama's league.

Non sibi sed patriae

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#171Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 12:02pm

DELETE 

Updated On: 4/20/20 at 12:02 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#172Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 12:09pm

" If we needed to hear these rote repetitions of tepid conservative pundit soundbites, we could just cut out the middle man and watch Fox News."

BWW message board is basically the DNC, am I wrong? Heck, some people on this board should sign up and work for the Biden campaign.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#173Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 12:13pm

yankeefan7 said: "" If we needed to hear these rote repetitions of tepid conservative pundit soundbites, we could just cut out the middle man and watch Fox News."

BWW message board is basically the DNC, am I wrong? Heck, some people on this board should sign up and work for the Biden campaign.
"

Cool, who's repeating demonstrably false and perhaps actively harmful Democratic talking points about the pandemic?

Updated On: 4/20/20 at 12:13 PM

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#174Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 12:15pm

Broadway61004 said: "Realistically, things were not going to be up and running by June. However, I 100% agree that it doesn't make sense to assume ANYTHING right now. So I'm really not sure why everything was canceled today. Living in NYC in the heart of all this, I have zero clue what it's going to look like next week, let alone two months from now. So were all of these events likely going to end up being canceled? Probably. But I just don't understand the point of definitively saying right now "Everything is shut down" especially when your own governor is still saying "May 15th" (which yes, will almost assuredly be extended, but again, the point is we don't know. We don't know, so why are we making these definitive statements this far in advance?)"

Today's announcement was referring to permitted events such as parades, concerts, etc. Is there some reason why he shouldn't have cancelled these this far in advance? Clearly, there's no scenario where these huge gatherings would be happening, and I would think that their organizers appreciate the advance notice.

Videos