pixeltracker

1776 Revival (Broadway P/reviews) - News & Discussion Thread- Page 7

1776 Revival (Broadway P/reviews) - News & Discussion Thread

KevinKlawitter
#1501776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 8/10/22 at 8:56am

Elfuhbuh said: "I’m sorry, this is such a stupid concept for the show. Musical theatre isn’t exactly lacking in strong roles for women, and this feels like being “woke” for the sake of being woke. The producers are probably hoping someone on Twitter complains so they can have articles posted about how “sexist regressives” refuse to see the pure genius behind these casting decisions."

You DO know predicting that people will call out your BS for being sexist and regressive doesn't make your BS any less sexist and regressive, right?

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#1511776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 8/10/22 at 7:52pm

KevinKlawitter said: "Elfuhbuh said: "I’m sorry, this is such a stupid concept for the show. Musical theatre isn’t exactly lacking in strong roles for women, and this feels like being “woke” for the sake of being woke. The producers are probably hoping someone on Twitter complains so they can have articles posted about how “sexist regressives” refuse to see the pure genius behind these casting decisions."

You DO know predicting that people will call out your BS for being sexist and regressive doesn't make your BS any less sexist and regressive, right?
"

My bad! I didn’t realize that I, a woman, wasn’t supposed to voice my opinion that an all-female casting gimmick is soulless pandering. I’ll keep my internalized misogyny in check next time. 

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

xjdumaine
#1521776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 8/10/22 at 11:20pm

Lina Lamont said: "-I did find it interesting that some characters I’d consider to be extremely minor got moments in the sun, but I can’t say I understood why the Courier was so annoyed every time she was on stage, nor did I really follow how her number fit in.  “Mama Look Sharp” had some nice harmonies, but didn’t do anything for me."

OMG I feel so validated by this and came on this forum to see if anyone had noticed and would mention it. I was also super confused about why the Courier looked so annoyed every time she was on stage. It was *super distracting* and disrupted the flow of the scenes because it just didn't make any sense. I also felt like "Mama Look Sharp" was meant to be this huge dramatic moment but at that point in the show, I had no idea who this anonymous soldier was and no emotional investment in that character, especially considering that the Courier would only every show up for like 10 seconds on stage once every blue moon.

Lina Lamont said: "- “He Plays the Violin” is among the most bizarre Act I climaxes (*ahem*) I’ve ever seen."

I also agree that ending Act 1 with "He Plays The Violin" was a big head scratcher. It doesn't really leave you in suspense and the light, comical presentation of the song doesn't seem to be a culmination of the narrative arc in Act 1. Very weird and I hope they change it for the Broadway run.

Overall, I thought the company was fantastic, there's so much talent on that stage. I ended up seeing it four times at A.R.T. and I liked it more and more each time. I'm really excited for its Broadway run! It's a shame that Joanna Glushak isn't playing John Dickinson in the Broadway run because she really shined in that role. Maybe NY audiences will get lucky and they'll let her understudy the role. However, Carolee Carmello is Carolee Carmello so I'm sure she'll do a great job and it's always interesting to see another actress' take on the character.

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#1531776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 8/12/22 at 12:06am

xjdumaine said: I'm really excited for its Broadway run! It's a shame that Joanna Glushak isn't playing John Dickinson in the Broadway run because she really shined in that role. Maybe NY audiences will get lucky and they'll let her understudy the role. However, Carolee Carmello is Carolee Carmello so I'm sure she'll do a great job and it's always interesting to see another actress' take on the character."

Why isn't Carmello playing Rutledge?  THAT "Molasses To Rum" would be spectacular!!!

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#1541776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 8/12/22 at 7:35am

I'm currently struggling with whether/not this production's changes in concept from its original form are an example of hubris. Unfortunately, neither Peter Stone, nor Sherman Edwards are alive to offer their thoughts.

The original production was conceived and written with an intent that seems to differ pretty drastically from the current production (keeping in mind that I've only read about the current production). I also have to admit that even after what I've read, I still don't have a clear idea regarding what Paulus' intended messaging might be by making the changes.

I also feel that Art is put into the world to be interpreted; including being re-interpreted by other artists. 

Still, I wonder if Paulus' possible messaging might have been better served through the production of an original work (i.e., along the lines of Hamilton, as alluded to in an earlier post) as opposed to discarding the original artists' intentions for the sake her own? 

I'm pretty torn on this. Has Paulus changed the core of what this show is about so drastically that it's no longer the original work? Is this a good thing, or possibly an insult to the original artists?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1551776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/9/22 at 1:49pm

Anyone planning to see the show soon?

gibsons2
#1561776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/9/22 at 1:56pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Anyone planning to see the show soon?"

I'll be seeing the 10th preview.  I'm not familiar with the earlier productions or even the material, so basically going blind. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1571776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/9/22 at 3:05pm

Crystal Lucas-Perry will play her final performance on October 23, departing for another project that has not been announced yet. 

Kristolyn Lloyd will replace her as John Adams beginning on the 25th.

Oh look, a bibu!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#1581776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/9/22 at 3:41pm

I have to ask is anyone truly JAZZED to see this? I have been trying to get into it as I am a subscriber with tickets but I just can't muster any excitement. It doesn't seem to be selling incredibly well either...

barcelona20
#1591776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/9/22 at 3:51pm

I saw it twice and was thoroughly entertained both times. Full of talented performers.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1601776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/9/22 at 4:42pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Crystal Lucas-Perry will play her final performance on October 23, departing for another project that has not been announced yet.

"

Must be a major step up career wise.

heybaby
#1611776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/9/22 at 4:53pm

I assume it's to join the cast of the forthcoming AIN'T NO MO?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1621776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/9/22 at 5:23pm

Seeing this next weekend and have never been less excited to see a new show. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#1631776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/9/22 at 5:28pm

Sutton Ross said: "I have to ask is anyone truly JAZZED to see this?"

I'm jazzed to see it! Will be at the 1st preview.

Updated On: 9/9/22 at 05:28 PM

UncleCharlie
#1641776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/9/22 at 9:22pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Crystal Lucas-Perry will play her final performance on October 23, departing for another project that has not been announced yet.

"

Call me old fashioned but whatever happened to "Sorry, I'm not available until mid-January. I'm committed to my current project until then."?

Maybe I could at least understand it if she's currently in a very small supporting role and this is an opportunity to headline a show, but she's already headlining the show she's in.

Updated On: 9/9/22 at 09:22 PM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#1651776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/9/22 at 9:38pm

Jeffrey L. Page, who is the choreographer, is now credited as co-director with Diane Paulus. That’s an unusual move.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1661776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/9/22 at 11:03pm

Pretty surev thats the way it was billed in Boston.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

B212323
#1671776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/10/22 at 12:28am

She most likely got a film or TV series. 

trpguyy
#1681776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/10/22 at 1:30pm

UncleCharlie said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Crystal Lucas-Perry will play her final performance on October 23, departing for another project that has not been announced yet.

"

Call me old fashioned but whatever happened to "Sorry, I'm not available until mid-January. I'm committed to my current project until then."?

Maybe I could at least understand it if she's currently in a very small supporting role and this is an opportunity to headline a show, but she's already headlining the show she's in.
"

When your current project pays half of any other Broadway contract and a tiny fraction of tv/film, your management gets you out of the current project. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1691776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/10/22 at 3:39pm

Yeah working for Roundabout - while maybe prestigious - doesn't pay great all. A production contract would be way more appealing. 

UncleCharlie
#1701776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/10/22 at 9:48pm

trpguyy said: "UncleCharlie said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Crystal Lucas-Perry will play her final performance on October 23, departing for another project that has not been announced yet.

"

"

When your current project pays half of any other Broadway contract and a tiny fraction of tv/film, your management gets you out of the current project.
"

It feels like it would be one thing if it was a situation where she committed to a year long contract and wanted out after 6 or 9 months but It's a limited run and it hasn't even started previews yet. She'll be in it for all of 2 1/2 weeks after it opens. It's not like she couldn't even conceive this was a possibility, but took the role anyway. I'll understand a little if this turns out to be a regular role on a TV show where she could make some real money. But if this is just another Broadway show, then if you're not comfortable with what Roundabout pays, maybe don't take the job. Sorry if that view is not woke enough.

If you ran a company and hired a key project leader for a 3 months project and despite committing to you and agreeing to the pay you offered, she continued to look for another job that paid better and quit after one month, would you be cool with it? Maybe she's just "doing what she's gotta do" but I don't think she should get a free pass.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1711776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/10/22 at 10:07pm

There's nothing "woke" about it. It's a simple matter of her having a contractual out to go do this other project, which was negotiated between her agents and the producers. Outs are quite common, and her name sells no tickets.

BCfitasafiddle
#1721776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/10/22 at 10:16pm

Is this worth seeing? I have never seen 1776 onstage. Only the movie. And I remember being bored out of my mind. Does this production have any excitement in it that would make it more appealing to someone who's not a super-fan?

The casting is, of course, the reason to see it.. but it's not calling my name.

trpguyy
#1731776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/11/22 at 2:27pm

UncleCharlie said: "trpguyy said: "UncleCharlie said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Crystal Lucas-Perry will play her final performance on October 23, departing for another project that has not been announced yet.

"

"

"

It feels like it would be one thing if it was a situation where she committed to a year long contract and wanted out after 6 or 9 months but It's a limited run and it hasn't even started previews yet. She'll be in it for all of 2 1/2 weeks after it opens. It's not like she couldn't even conceive this was a possibility, but took the role anyway. I'll understand a little if this turns out to be a regular role on a TV show where she could make some real money. But if this is just another Broadway show, then if you're not comfortable with what Roundabout pays, maybe don't take the job. Sorry if that view is not woke enough.

If you ran a company and hired a key project leader for a 3 months project and despite committing to you and agreeing to the pay you offered, she continued to look for another job that paid better and quit after one month, would you be cool with it? Maybe she's just "doing what she's gotta do" but I don't think she should get a free pass.

"

If I ran a company that paid way below market rate, and one of my employees left for a better paying job - a scenario that was likely already discussed when hiring - then yes I’d absolutely be cool with it. I don’t understand the reason for the undie-twisting here.

But this is getting off topic… if you’re musically-inclined, this is probably worth seeing for John Clancy’s orchestrations, if nothing else.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1741776 Broadway revival cast for 2021
Posted: 9/11/22 at 7:18pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Is this worth seeing? I have never seen 1776 onstage. Only the movie. And I remember being bored out of my mind. Does this production have any excitement in it that would make it more appealing to someone who's not a super-fan?

The casting is, of course, the reason to see it.. but it's not calling my name.
"

I'm a huge fan of the show, the film but NOT this production.   I don't see you are really missing that much - I don't think the powers that be have a lot of faith in it either - why else such a limited run?   To be fair, I did see this in Boston during the first week of previews, so it's POSSIBLE that it improved.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos