MJ reschedules for March 2021

matt1982
#1MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/13/20 at 11:54am

I had completely forgotten this was supposed to happen.  

MJ March 2021

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#2MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/13/20 at 12:08pm

MJ reschedules for March 2021

MollyJeanneMusic
#3MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/13/20 at 12:15pm

Every time I see something about this show, I'm just like, "Oh.  That is a thing that's going to be done."

In all honesty, it's too far for any of us to tell if this is far enough out or not.  We don't know what's going on with Broadway - we don't even know who's going to be the president of this country at that point.  Kudos to them for persevering with this show - I could see it, with the big name of Jackson attached, being a decent thing to help bring people back to Broadway.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#4MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/13/20 at 12:36pm

I'm thinking this will now be a major trend going forward. Either shows are going to restart in March of 2021, or close completely. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#5MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/13/20 at 12:42pm

Sutton Ross said: "I'm thinking this will now be a major trend going forward. Either shows are going to restart in March of 2021, or close completely."

I'm hoping they can postpone American Buffalo March 2021, instead of fully cancelling.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

SpookyFish13
#6MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/13/20 at 12:50pm

I’m still flabbergasted that this is happening in the first place.
MJ is an “alleged“ predator. Do we really need this on Broadway?It seems more like a vanity-piece sponsored by his estate to regain some of the blind devotion that he lost after HBO’s Leaving Neverland...
As far as I’m concerned, the show can choke.

matt1982
#7MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/13/20 at 1:16pm

Sutton Ross said: "I'm thinking this will now be a major trend going forward. Either shows are going to restart in March of 2021, or close completely."

Agreed.  It makes sense, as March is a traditional time to start previews/openings.  Looking forward to next spring!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#8MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/13/20 at 1:32pm

I was about to buy a ticket to the second preview the day of the shut-down. Glad that they are still planning to go forward. It was high on my list to see.

Just give the world Love.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#9MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/13/20 at 2:24pm

I’m also in a “do we need this” camp

His existence is triggering to thousands of people

Alexander Lamar
#10MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/13/20 at 4:57pm

I hope it never happens.

The show I think about at least twice weekly is the “Caroline” revival. How long can that wait on the back burner?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#11MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/13/20 at 5:05pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "I’m also in a “do we need this” camp

His existence is triggering to thousands of people
"

Well those thousands don't need to see the show.  Problem solved.

Just give the world Love.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#12MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/13/20 at 5:17pm

as I have said elsewhere, these shows announcing March openings fall somewhere between optimism and wishful thinking. On that continuum, this one falls far closer to the latter, for any number of reasons, size and presumed scope being major ones. And let us remember that no show is going to open without the consent of each union and the local health authorities. So even assuming that IATSE is willing to work, there must be a separate decision from AEA, AFM, etc etc and even assuming those planets align, what sort of seating limitation is going to be approved and will these producers (admittedly this time money will be no object because that's not what this is about) put on a show every night for a crowd of 450. I don't think this show is going to be able to start rehearsals right after the first of the year, but we shall see. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#13MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/13/20 at 8:54pm

I agree with you Sutton...I highly doubt BWAY will reopen after Labor Day-this fall -September is 4 months away and we won't have a better idea where things stand with this virus for at least another 2-3 months Opening next spring 2021 is the safest bet for all at this stage but it's all still an unknown...who knows?Tourists are not flocking back to BWAY-NYC this year! This fall will give all the Producers time to market etc, for a spring opening if that happens....Fall 2021?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 5/13/20 at 08:54 PM

Sutton Ross
#14MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/13/20 at 9:02pm

His existence is triggering to thousands of people"

Cool, they don't have to buy tickets then. Problem solved!

sparksatmidnight
#15MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/15/20 at 2:05am

Do we need this? I don't think I'm qualified to answer. Do we even need any Broadway show at all? I don't think we can answer this on this board.

Here's something we can answer here: do we need all these repeated and tiring 'do we need this'? Jeez, what a bunch of cry-babies triggered by a Broadway show. We get it, you saw Leaving Neverland, now give it a rest. Unless it stays open for 10 years I'm not gonna watch it (unless you pay me to sit through 3 hours of Michael Jackson music) but what a tiresome thing to see the same, unoriginal comments each time you want to read a discussion about it.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#16MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/15/20 at 8:46am

sparksatmidnight said: "Do we need this? I don't think I'm qualified to answer. Do we even need any Broadway show at all? I don't think we can answer this on this board.

Here's something we can answer here: do we need all these repeated and tiring 'do we need this'? Jeez, what a bunch of cry-babies triggered by a Broadway show. We get it, you saw Leaving Neverland, now give it a rest. Unless it stays open for 10 years I'm not gonna watch it (unless you pay me to sit through 3 hours of Michael Jackson music) but what a tiresome thing to see the same, unoriginal comments each time you want to read a discussion about it.
"

And you are?

Theatrefanboy1
#17MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/15/20 at 9:28am

Realistically I feel if this is the trend of March 2021being the opening dates for people then I can’t see a number of shows surviving. Some shows open only had a 9-12 frame left in them in March I can’t see them extending the costs for 12 months to be open for three. But that puts like 5 musicals in jeopardy for sure.

And as for this musical. I really don’t think it’s something we NEED. In this environment I can’t see it even lasting as long as The Cher Show.

jimmycurry01
#18MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/15/20 at 8:16pm

n2nbaby said: "sparksatmidnight said: "Do we need this? I don't think I'm qualified to answer. Do we even need any Broadway show at all? I don't think we can answer this on this board.

"

And you are?
"

Making a good point. He is making a point. It's the same point that is made when anything is brought up ad nauseam on here.

Sutton Ross
#19MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/15/20 at 9:12pm

Here's something we can answer here: do we need all these repeated and tiring 'do we need this'? Jeez, what a bunch of cry-babies triggered by a Broadway show. We get it, you saw Leaving Neverland, now give it a rest. Unless it stays open for 10 years I'm not gonna watch it (unless you pay me to sit through 3 hours of Michael Jackson music) but what a tiresome thing to see the same, unoriginal comments each time you want to read a discussion about it."

WORD

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#20MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/16/20 at 10:31am

Not including shows that can restart.

But what theatres are now dark? Including please theatres with a shows to be loaded in like the Neil Simon and Winter Garden.

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#21MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/16/20 at 1:21pm

Honestly it’s too soon to say anything at this point. I really think it’s exceedingly unlikely that nothing would come back before spring 2021. I agree that reopening in September of this year is probably somewhat of a long shot given what we know now, but to say there is zero chance of it happening when that’s 4 months away is not a reasonable thing to say.

I agree that new shows that were set to open this spring/summer likely will be pushed to spring 2021 or later, if they happen at all. But shows that have already been running for a while and are well established will probably come back sooner.

Right now ANYTHING that anyone says is a maybe. You can say that shows will or will not resume in September but no one knows. Saying that they will not is no more or less realistic than saying that they will.

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

Jarethan
#22MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/16/20 at 2:06pm

SpookyFish13 said: "I’m still flabbergasted that this is happening in the first place.
MJ is an “alleged“ predator. Do we really need this on Broadway?It seems more like a vanity-piece sponsored by his estate to regain some of the blind devotion that he lost after HBO’s Leaving Neverland...
As far as I’m concerned, the show can choke.
"

Have to admit I agree; but a Michael Jackson show has been running in London for years, so who knows!!!

matt1982
#23MJ reschedules for March 2021
Posted: 5/16/20 at 3:02pm

stoptheworld38 said: "Honestly it’s too soon to say anything at this point. I really think it’s exceedingly unlikely that nothing would come back before spring 2021. I agree that reopening in September of this year is probably somewhat of a long shot given what we know now, but to say there is zero chance of it happening when that’s 4 months away is not a reasonable thing to say.

I agree that new shows that were set to open this spring/summer likely will be pushed to spring 2021 or later, if they happen at all. But shows that have already been running for a while and are well established will probably come back sooner.

Right now ANYTHING that anyone says is a maybe. You can say that shows will or will not resume in September but no one knows. Saying that they will not is no more or less realistic than saying that they will.
"

I think this is pretty spot on.  There are lots of maybes and there really can't be anything said definitively either way.  I'd imagine that's why there haven't quickly been more announcements of other shows' intentions to reopen, postpone, or close altogether.

As much as I'd love this romantic, massive reopening of Broadway all at once, it will likely be in spurts.  The ones that are ready and able will.