devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#25DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 5:59pm

Yeah and they were dumb, too.

BwayLB
#26DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 6:28pm

And what about the ending? I can forgive the fact that Evan chose to go on living. But do you think I would be happy about not being hated by so many people hiding how broken and alone I felt after helping them because they felt alone too? I wouldn’t. But I was cool he stayed just friends with Zoe even though I felt bad they broke up. Updated On: 1/30/21 at 06:28 PM

Jarethan
#27DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 6:54pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "https://variety.com/2021/film/news/dear-evan-hansen-movie-release-date-1234896009/

Musical theater aficionados, Sept. 24 is going to be a good day and here’s why: Universal is debuting the movie adaptation of “Dear Evan Hansen” in theaters.

Ben Platt stars as the title character in “Dear Evan Hansen,” a cinematic retelling of the popular Broadway musical created by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul. The show centers on Evan Hansen, an anxious and isolated high school student. After the suicide of his classmate Connor Murphy, Evan inadvertently gets caught up in a lie after Connor’s parents mistake one of Hansen’s letters for their son’s suicide note.

Stephen Chbosky, best known for “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” and “Wonder,” directed the film from a script by Steven Levenson, who wrote the book of the stage musical.The cast also includes Kaitlyn Dever, Amandla Stenberg, Amy Adams and Julianne Moore.
"

I have been looking forward to this movie ever since it was announced.  I have never been more excited than after hearing that the director also directed Wonder and Perks.  

He seems like the perfect choice...let's hope he is up to the demands of a musical...as great a director as Scorcese (and Coppola for that matter) failed miserably in their attempts at musicals; and, while I actually enjoyed it, Woody Allen's Everyone Says I Love You was not exactly liked.  

Updated On: 1/31/21 at 06:54 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#28DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 11:05pm

Tag said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Tag said: "I hope they move the placement of So Big/So Small. It completely grinds the ending of the stage show to a halt."

Genuine question, where else would you place it? I think it works perfectly fine where it is.
"

Cutting room floor? : )
"

Did someone have a bad relationship with their mother and the song hit too close to home?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#29DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 11:19pm

HHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHA. It's really the most hilarious thing in the world to think that a huge, pivotal moment in the second act of this show "grinds it to a halt" and therefore should not exist.

Clearly, that person didn't quite get it. DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release

Updated On: 1/31/21 at 11:19 PM

BwayLB
#30DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/31/21 at 12:27am

I consider So Big So Small as the falling action

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#31DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/31/21 at 12:54am

Correct. It is a major moment of reconciliation between Evan and Heidi, and it absolutely should NOT be cut from the movie. The only question left to ask is, will Julianne Moore be able to sing this well enough?

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 1/31/21 at 12:54 AM

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#32DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/31/21 at 1:22am

The song requires great acting more than it requires a flawless voice, so I'm sure Julianne Moore is more than capable of delivering something special.

Updated On: 1/31/21 at 01:22 AM

BwayLB
#33DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/31/21 at 10:53am

One thing i did not like was Jared and Alana were not heard from again when the dust cleared. Would have been nice for them to forgive Evan.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#34DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/31/21 at 2:19pm

BwayLB said: "One thing i did not like was Jared and Alana were not heard from again when the dust cleared. Would have been nice for them to forgive Evan."

Or for them not to. I haven’t seen the show since it opened, but my general feeling was that it wrapped up too quickly. Not that I wanted a longer show, but a film could show more of a fallout in a timely manner.

Updated On: 1/31/21 at 02:19 PM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#35DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/31/21 at 2:31pm

NOWaWarning said: "I haven’t seen the show since it opened, but my generally feeling was that it wrapped up too quickly."

Exactly.  That final scene is like the Cliff Notes version of what happened.  You know those 80/90s films where at the end they show what happened to each character with text at the bottom of the screen.  This is exactly how I imagine the end of DEH would be on film.

How Steven Levenson won for best book over something like Come From Away, I'll never understand.

Trish2
#36DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/31/21 at 2:46pm

If that release date holds, it should be an interesting awards season come 2022 with that and "In The Heights," "West Side Story" and possibly "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" in the mix!

BwayLB
#37DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/31/21 at 3:11pm

NOWaWarning said: "BwayLB said: "One thing i did not like was Jared and Alana were not heard from again when the dust cleared. Would have been nice for them to forgive Evan."

Or for them not to. I haven’t seen the show since it opened, but my generally feeling was that it wrapped up too quickly. Not that I wanted a longer show, but a film could show more of a fallout in a timely manner.
"

I won't hold my breath. But it would make Evan's resolve more meaningful.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#38DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/31/21 at 8:17pm

Benj Pasek has a thing to say.... 

Updated On: 1/31/21 at 08:17 PM

Alex Kulak2
#39DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/31/21 at 9:33pm

ggersten said: "Benj Pasek has a thing to say...."

Ben Platt on set, pre-Irishman CGI effects (2020, colorized)

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#40DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/31/21 at 10:39pm

One can only wish for that to happen...

Oh look, a bibu!

SouthernCakes
#41DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/31/21 at 10:43pm

I’ve ever understood the love for this show. So curious to see how it is perceived by the world.

BwayLB
#42DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 2/1/21 at 10:22am

^ I was interested in the show because of Pasek and Paul and Evan's social anxiety appealed to me as someone with autism.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#43DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 2/1/21 at 11:21am

SouthernCakes said: "I’ve ever understood the love for this show. So curious to see how it is perceived by the world. "

The show tanked hard in Toronto. They couldn’t give away tickets for the open run. They repainted the outside of the theatre blue expecting it to run for years. It was DOA. They folded the Canadian company into the tour because they felt so bad. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#44DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 2/1/21 at 11:24am

Everything about this gives me "acclaimed novel/play adapted into mediocre-to-bad film" vibes.

The just-off casting, the merely competent director, the material, the quick turnaround... it just all looks like a series of red flags to me.

(I also think that we'll see the criticisms of Evan Hansen as a character and the plot itself expand greatly, just as the filmed Hamilton saw the increase of criticism of the material Anecdotally, I've already seen distaste about the show grow enormously over the years).

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 2/1/21 at 11:24 AM

aliceripleyofficial Profile Photo
aliceripleyofficial
#45DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 2/1/21 at 11:30am

very excited for this to be over

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#46DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 2/1/21 at 12:53pm

Trish2 said: "If that release date holds,it should be an interesting awards season come 2022 with that and "In The Heights," "West Side Story" and possibly "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" in the mix!"

In addition to "Tick Tick Boom."

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#47DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 2/1/21 at 12:55pm

Kad said: "Everything about this gives me "acclaimed novel/play adapted into mediocre-to-bad film" vibes.

The just-off casting, the merely competent director, the material, the quick turnaround... it just all looks like a series of red flags to me.

(I also think that we'll see the criticisms of Evan Hansen as a character and the plot itself expand greatly, just as the filmed Hamilton saw the increase of criticism of the material Anecdotally, I've already seen distaste about the show grow enormously over the years).
"

Yes, and certain casting choices and talk of expanding certain roles makes me think they're aware of some of those critiques and are trying to fix it. But I'm not sure how they can fix Evan's character...

BwayLB
#48DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 2/1/21 at 1:11pm

Fixing Evan would be extra nice since his wanting of either friends or a family was so complicated. And his jerkass second act moments were not 100% necessary.

Alex Kulak2
#49DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 2/1/21 at 1:27pm

Kad said: "Everything about this gives me "acclaimed novel/play adapted into mediocre-to-bad film" vibes.

"

I can definitely see that, even though I like the show. It feels like they’re worried that the buzz behind the show is gonna end. Toronto aside, the Broadway production was making money hand over foot prior to the pandemic.

Videos