pixeltracker

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread- Page 42

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

hearthemsing22
#1025DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 8:44am

If you weren’t a fan of the show or concept from the start when it first began, I can understand not wanting to see the movie. But I wonder how many people haven’t even seen the movie and are solely judging it based on word of mouth or the fact that Ben Platt is in it or whatever. If there are actors-yes, they could’ve gone with someone else. They didn’t. You get roles, you don’t get roles. That’s part of being a performer. I wonder how many people are judging based on ACTUALLY seeing the movie. On having opinions based on that, not on some previews. If you’re still not interested with the preview fine, but for the love of God, how many times do people ask for movies of musicals? You have one. The least you can do is see it and then judge instead of not even giving it a chance.

PS. NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE SPECIFICALLY HERE. Just a general statement

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#1026DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 8:55am

hearthemsing22 said: "If you weren’t a fan of the show or concept from the start when it first began, I can understand not wanting to see the movie. But I wonder how many people haven’t even seen the movie and are solely judging it based on word of mouth or the fact that Ben Platt is in it or whatever. If there are actors-yes, they could’ve gone with someone else. They didn’t. You get roles, you don’t get roles. That’s part of being a performer. I wonder how many people are judging based on ACTUALLY seeing the movie. On having opinions based on that, not on some previews. If you’re still not interested with the preview fine, but for the love of God, how many times do people ask for movies of musicals? You have one. The least you can do is see it and then judge instead of not even giving it a chance.

PS. NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE SPECIFICALLY HERE. Just a general statement
"

LOVED the show on Broadway. Did not enjoy the film. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#1027DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 9:42am

While listening to the soundtrack this morning, I’m realizing these are studio recordings and not the live-on-set vocals heard in the movie. It’s all much more clean and processed than the movie performances.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1028DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 10:34am

I think the problem with the dear Evan Hansen movie in comparison to the dear Evan Hansen musical is that there was no woman in a leadership role working on the film.
Stacey Mindich is a huge reason why the stage musical has been such a success and not including her in a producer capacity was a huge mistake. As much as the Broadway show is about Evan and his lies, it’s also about the two mothers and how they handle their sons. That’s why the stage show is so much more powerful. I think had Mindich been kept on for the film, the creators wouldn’t have cut so much of the two mother’s parts.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#1029DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 11:23am

It made $800K last night in a "sneak" screening on 2,700 screens...CATS made a little over $500K when it had it's "sneak" screening before opening...

https://deadline.com/2021/09/dear-evan-hansen-weekend-box-office-shang-chi-1234843679/

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#1030DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 11:57am

Call_me_jorge said: "I think the problem with the dear Evan Hansen movie in comparison to the dear Evan Hansen musical is that there was no woman in a leadership role working on the film.
Stacey Mindich is a huge reason why the stage musical has been such a success and not including her in a producer capacity was a huge mistake. As much as the Broadway show is about Evan and his lies, it’s also about the two mothers and how they handle their sons. That’s why the stage show is so much more powerful. I think had Mindich been kept on for the film, the creators wouldn’t have cut so much of the two mother’s parts.
"

I agree. There was a great article in the LA Times about how DEH is as much a parent's story as Evan's which they believed accounted for some of the success of the musical. They lamented how the mothers and their songs were gutted from the film and created a very different concept. They feel it was a huge error. They also feel "Anybody Have A Map" is a vital song that sets the tone for the parents dilemma and the course of the musical. They also felt that cutting "Good For You" sterilizes Heidi of her valid anger that facilitates her and Evan reconnecting. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#1031DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 12:06pm

I’ll also argue Disappear shows insight into why Evan goes along with the Connor Project. While it’s good to see Alana’s point of view with The Anonymous Ones, it takes away from the more plot-driven and musically driving Disappear (we also lose the connection to the lyrical motif of “disappear” present in the other songs).

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#1032DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 12:36pm

HeyMrMusic said: "While listening to the soundtrack this morning, I’m realizing these are studio recordings and not the live-on-set vocals heard in the movie. It’s all much more clean and processed than the movie performances."

Yeah it's not like the Les Misérables soundtrack which sounds 100% exactly like the movie, here the tracks are quite different in places. But it's still a pretty solid soundtrack with a very good cast vocal wise, honestly I would rather listen to the soundtrack than see the movie again.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#1033DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 12:37pm

*double post*

Updated On: 9/24/21 at 12:37 PM

rattleNwoolypenguin
#1034DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 2:59pm

I've been thinking about how Pasek and Paul are very into...

big platitude anthemic songs where the underlying truth is people getting horrible manipulated and taken advantage of.

It's very bizarre.

Greatest Showman has "This is Me" and Barnum completely exploited these people but it's like this inspirational song they sing?

And "You Will Be Found" is all based on lies and manipulation.

I just feel like these writers are missing a self awareness sometimes and it's like they just want the Oscar for best song first and foremost for songs that are essentially just Firework by Katy Perry over and over again.

Updated On: 9/24/21 at 02:59 PM

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#1035DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 5:43pm

Dear
Grandpa
Hansen

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

NYCblurb
#1036DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 6:37pm

The problem remaining is how the sad, creepy protagonist is a sociopath. Subtle sadness to watching even as the music & lyrics move me. 

A lover of theater for decades. Teacher by day. Family man by night. See more theater than most, oftentimes a hesitant plus one.

Larry6417
#1037DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 6:45pm

Ben Platt has never looked pastier!

This film should be put in a time capsule named, "DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU"!

Marc Platt is to blame.

Theatre Fan3
#1038DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 10:33pm

The way things are going it looks like the only nominations we can expect here are "Razzie's".

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1039DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 10:49pm

32% critics vs. 93% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm curious as to what the CinemaScore will be.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#1040DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 11:08pm

Theatre Fan3 said: "The way things are going it looks like the only nominations we can expect here are "Razzie's"."

I think Razzie nominations will be inevitable. The press is dragging this through the mud with passion.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Wayman_Wong
#1041DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/25/21 at 12:08am

''32% critics vs. 93% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes.''

I imagine one reason for the disparity in those scores is that critics went to see ''Dear Evan Hansen'' because it's their job or part of their beat. But I'm guessing the audience that goes to the Thursday night previews and today's opening are probably the most eager and excited to see it. Either they know the show, heard the songs, etc., and thus are more predisposed to love it.  

Updated On: 9/25/21 at 12:08 AM

QueenTwinnied
#1042DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/25/21 at 12:24am

Saw the movie last night at an early screening and hated it more than I thought it would.

Gorlois Profile Photo
Gorlois
#1043DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/25/21 at 2:08am

I’m not a fan of Pasek and Paul, I’ve never seen the stage show or listened to the OBC. But I am shocked at the critical response. Can it really be so bad?

QueenTwinnied
#1044DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/25/21 at 2:37am

Yes and it is

QueenTwinnied
#1045DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/25/21 at 2:37am

Yes and it is

Wayman_Wong
#1046DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/25/21 at 2:44am

Polygon.com: How did 'Dear Evan Hansen' go so, so wrong? Moviegoers aren't seeing what Broadway audiences saw

https://www.polygon.com/22691667/dear-evan-hansen-review

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#1047DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/25/21 at 4:25am

Yet another wrong-headed review, not based on the actual realization of the material on screen, but obsessed with the childish "OMG that's what it's about" reaction that makes me wonder why some people bother to attempt criticism/analysis in the first place. The lack of perspective, empathy, or ability to think complexly baffles me. 

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#1048DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/25/21 at 9:25am

Wayman_Wong said: "Polygon.com: How did 'Dear Evan Hansen' go so, so wrong? Moviegoers aren't seeing what Broadway audiences saw

"

What does gaming "journalism" have to do with theater?

DEHFanatic Profile Photo
DEHFanatic
#1049DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/25/21 at 10:35am

Wayman_Wong said: "Polygon.com: How did 'Dear Evan Hansen' go so, so wrong? Moviegoers aren't seeing what Broadway audiences saw

"

Hard to take this seriously when he writes that Evan ends up with Zoe, which is just untrue.  Did he even watch the movie or just read other reviews?

Total DEH fanatic and love to chat with similarly obsessed fans. Please feel free to PM me. In times like these, we could all use a friend.