pixeltracker

Netflix's 13 Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

Netflix's 13 Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Netflix's 13 Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/29/21 at 8:35pm

https://deadline.com/2021/04/netflix-13-the-musical-sets-cast-1234747174/

Of the 14 starring in 13: The Musicalinclude Eli Golden (The Wizard of Lies), Gabriella Uhl, JD McCrary (Black Is King, The Lion King, The Paynes, Little), Frankie McNellis (Sonys Honey Girls, Black-ish), Lindsey Blackwell (The Change-Up), Jonathan Lengel, Ramon Reed (Disney Channels Just Roll With It), Nolen Dubuc (Good Boys), Luke Islam (The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers), Shechinah Mpumlwana (Uncorked, Blues Clues & You), Kayleigh Cerezo, Wyatt Moss (The Move), Liam Wignall, and Khiyla Aynne (Work It, Ponysitters Club).

Tony Award winner Robert Horn (Tootsie the Musical, Teen Beach movie)will adapt the script based on the book he co-wrote with Dan Elish for the original Broadway version of 13; 3x Tony Award winner Jason Robert Brown, who served as the composer and lyricist for the Broadway production, will compose new music; and Tamra Davis (Crossroads, High School Musical: The Series, Slinky) attached to direct. Primetime Emmy winner Neil Meron, who produced ChicagoandHairspray,is producing 13.EPs areDavis, Horn, Brown, Mark Nicholson and Bob Boyett.

Updated On: 6/30/22 at 08:35 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 4/29/21 at 9:20pm

Oh! The Waitress karaoke kid! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p9K1OQKaq4&ab_channel=LawrenceMaggio

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BwayLB
#3Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 4/29/21 at 9:53pm

I have never seen 13 but I’m open to this movie after how the Prom turned out.

Alex Kulak2
#4Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 4/29/21 at 9:58pm

I have no idea why they list Crossroads as one of Tamra Davis' accomplishments when she directed Billy Madison.

The indie adaptation of The Last Five Years is one of my favorite movie musicals, so I have high hopes when it comes to Jason Robert Brown's ability to translate his work to film.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 4/30/21 at 5:59am

I dont know that many of us cared about 13 when it was on stage, so....hope y'all enjoy?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#6Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 4/30/21 at 6:42am

Alex Kulak2 said: "I have no idea why they list Crossroads as one of Tamra Davis' accomplishments when she directed Billy Madison."

Because Britney is the cause du jour lately.

iluvtheatertrash
#7Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 4/30/21 at 9:00am

I saw 13 and thoroughly enjoyed it and was sorry it didn’t run.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#8Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 4/30/21 at 10:04am

I find this property so beyond fascinating. I don’t know why it came to fruition, why this specific creative team was involved, why it went to Broadway, etc. I don’t see it produced often in community theatres, the only time I hear about it is when Ariana Grande mentions it.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#9Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 4/30/21 at 10:14am

At the very least, this looks like a diverse cast with tremendous talent. I wonder how this material will sell though.

Oh look, a bibu!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#10Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 4/30/21 at 10:37am

Once a property goes to netflix....is there really any "selling"?   Other than whether or not it becomes a trending title SEEMS to be the only real barometer.  Are there other ways?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#11Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 5/24/21 at 7:21pm

https://deadline.com/2021/05/debra-messings-number-called-to-star-in-13-the-musical-at-netflix-1234763429/

Debra Messing has joined the cast

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#12Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 5/24/21 at 9:06pm

It's interesting to read this thread, probably because this thead is as close to seeing the movie as I will get. I didn't want to see the show - I didn't. I don't want to see the movie - I won't. I can't think of a topic less interesting.

UrNotAMachine
#13Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 5/24/21 at 9:33pm

George in DC said: "It's interesting to read this thread, probably because this thead is as close to seeing the movie as I will get. I didn't want to see the show - I didn't. I don't want to see the movie - I won't. I can't think of a topic less interesting."

Why would you go to a thread on a subject you don't care about and post a comment proclaiming that you don't care about the subject of the thread? Wouldn't just not commenting at all be an easier way to express your disinterest?

BCfitasafiddle
#14Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 5/24/21 at 10:34pm

I presume she'd be Evan's mom? Is there something I'm forgetting?

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#15Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 5/26/21 at 1:40pm

George in DC said: "It's interesting to read this thread, probably because this thead is as close to seeing the movie as I will get. I didn't want to see the show - I didn't. I don't want to see the movie - I won't. I can't think of a topic less interesting."

You better tell those kids to get off your lawn!

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Alex Kulak2
#16Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 5/26/21 at 1:58pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "I presume she'd be Evan's mom? Is there something I'm forgetting?"

Yeah, the article says she's playing the mom.

Also, Jason Robert Brown said on his website that the crew's up in Toronto, about to start filming

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#17Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 5/26/21 at 2:04pm

We’re in a world where 13 gets a film adaptation before Parade does and I want out of this world.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Alex Kulak2
#18Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 5/26/21 at 2:15pm

Call_me_jorge said: "We’re in a world where 13 gets a film adaptation before Parade does and I want out of this world."

Well, Ben Platt's not old enough to play Leo yet.

I'm sorry, I'll see myself out.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#19Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 5/26/21 at 2:37pm

Ben Platt will play Leo in a Broadway revival, but Jake Gyllenhaal and Amy Adams as his Lucille are my film dreams.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Alex Kulak2
#20Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 5/26/21 at 3:20pm

Maybe Spielberg tackles it? Let's see how he does West Side Story​​​​​​​ first.

ArtMan
#21Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 11/17/21 at 9:47am

Movie is completed.  I was asked to participate in a screening discussion.  I read it so fast and deleted it.  I think you had to have young kids, which I have none.  (young or old)

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#23Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 4/27/22 at 12:44pm

When they sent out the casting notice for kids to audition for this, I sent the info to my cousin to have her daughter submit an audition tape.  She hadn’t ever auditioned for film or tv before but had been in professional regional theatre productions (including playing small Allison in a professional production of Fun Home).  She submitted a tape and ended up having 3 scree tests for this. She ultimately didn’t get cast but casting directors took note and from that one audition started getting calls to audition for many projects with Disney and Nickelodeon, etc.   And a few weeks ago I found out that she was cast as A LEAD in a major TV Mini Series starring many A List Actors that will begin shooting this summer I believe in Georgia.  I don’t know what the project is yet, as they’re not allowed to mention it yet but she said she’ll tell me as soon as they’re allowed to say something.   And it was that 13 audition that started it all. 

So thanks BWW!! because I’m pretty sure it was here that I saw the casting notice that I sent to them!  :)

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#25Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13
Posted: 7/2/22 at 10:58pm

When will this start streaming? 

And maybe Glenn Close can talk to Netflix about the Sunset Boulevard movie????