The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD

Dollypop
#1The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 2:44pm

We've had some inkling about the re-openings of many shows but there've been no rumblings about WSS and MOCKINGBIRD--both Rudin productions.

Do you think either one will re-open?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
#2The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 2:57pm

I’m guessing Mockingbird will be back but not WSS.

“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#3The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 2:57pm

Dollypop said: "We've had some inkling about the re-openings of many shows but there've been no rumblings about WSS and MOCKINGBIRD--both Rudin productions.

Do you think either one will re-open?
"

I hope the Mockingbird tour is still on.   

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#4The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 3:04pm

DAME said: "I hope the Mockingbird tour is still on."

"Mockingbird" is currently still scheduled for San Diego in November/December (with Richard Thomas).

Non sibi sed patriae

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 3:25pm

And it’s scheduled to open in the West End early next year.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#6The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 3:26pm

I hope West Side Story comes back. I found this new production to be tremendous.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Dollypop
#7The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:34pm

I'm hoping WSS returns, too. Let me explain why:

My granddaughter was 5 years old when I took her to WSS . She'd been to lots of children's shows but this was her first full-length musical. The other side of the family was outraged that I was taking a toddler to a show like WSS but I knew the music and dancing would keep her engaged.

Engaged she was! She sat on the edge of her booster seat and was wide-eyed from beginning to end. She couldn't wait for the intermission to end so the second act could begin. The only time her eyes left the stage was during the "Tonight Quintet" when she turned to me and whispered, "This is thrilling!"

Over dinner afterwards, all she could talk about was the show.

Well, she's 16 now and living in the mid-west with her family and she follows the theater scene on the internet. When she learned that Broadway was re-opening she called me and made me promise that the first show I saw would be WEST SIDE STORY and I was to send her a detailed report on the changes they've made in the show. I'm also to send her the souvenir booklet.

I'm getting antsy about keeping my promise to my favorite girl.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#8The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 5:20pm

That's cute, Dolly!

If it doesn't come back, I'd wonder why? It was doing well prior to the shutdown. And a lot of time and work has gone into it and with the movie on the horizon, it would make sense to do so, no?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#9The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 5:46pm

I'm not going to nag Meg about a potential reopening date for West Side Story. I hope it eventually comes back though, minus SR of course.

Oh look, a bibu!

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#10The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 7:54pm

RippedMan said: "That's cute, Dolly!

If it doesn't come back, I'd wonder why? It was doing well prior to the shutdown. And a lot of time and work has gone into it and with the movie on the horizon, it would make sense to do so, no?
"

The trade mags and other news articles wrote that those 2 shows were subject to Mr. Rude finding others to take over.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/scott-rudin-broadway-league-confirm-resignation-ramifications-theater-landscape-immense-1234742961/

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/24/theater/scott-rudin.html

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#11The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 7:56pm

RippedMan said: "That's cute, Dolly!

"

Eh, the knife has the potential to cut both ways. I could see the film goosing up the box office for a bit before people (who are already theatre-hesitant anyway) decide it may not be necessary to travel to NYC to see it live.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

@z5
#12The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 8:07pm

As much as I hate Rudin and think he's a total pig - it's sad the casts/crews are caught up in all of this. Both shows were spectacular.

Was really hoping to see WSS again after it reopens.

Dollypop
#13The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 8:09pm

quizking101 said: "RippedMan said: "That's cute, Dolly!

"

Eh, the knife has the potential to cut both ways. I could see the film goosing up the box office for a bit before people (who are already theatre-hesitant anyway) decide it may not be necessary to travel to NYC to see it live.
"

This brings back memories of when the Ethel Merman company of HELLO DOLLY!  was playing to large crowds at the St James Theater while just a few blocks away 20th Century Fox's movie was at the Rivoli Theater with 10 or 12 people in attendance.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#14The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 8:17pm

I haven’t heard a peep about West Side Story. Personally, I just wonder if there is too much drama for that team to build the momentum again. It seemed like the production had problems but the company was going with it and would have weathered the opening and the run. With the time that has passed is it possible it’s just going to count its losses and close.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

@z5
#15The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 8:26pm

That was the thought when it initially opened too - but it was continuously selling REALLY well. I had to book tickets for my family over a month in advance bc there was almost nothing left back in Feb 2020.

Globefan
#16The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/12/21 at 11:47pm

I don't think WSS will reopen in the shadow of the new Spielberg film 

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#17The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/13/21 at 12:31am

I loved Dollypop’s story! I have to admit that I’ve been reading his posts for years…but it was just in the last year that I realized he was a guy! 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#18The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/13/21 at 1:04am

Dolly your story brought tears to my eyes. I wish I won the lottery so I could fly your granddaughter out to NY and buy tickets to every show on Broadway for the both of you to enjoy! ❤️

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#19The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/13/21 at 1:46am

It does suck that the casts are going to see the brunt of this since it won't effect Rudin's pocketbook but now all these casts and crews are out of jobs. 

I'd think any producer would step in and raise money for TKM it was selling very well and I'm sure would do well on tour. WSS I could see as a risk, but it clearly was selling great. 

A Director
#20The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/13/21 at 3:13am

If WSS comes back it will compete  with the new movie. Without seeing the movie, it's a sure bet the choreography will be better.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#21The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/13/21 at 1:39pm

At the time of shutdown, WSS was dealing with a lot of regular callouts from the newbie cast, including leads. By the time the show opened the entire cast was exhausted, many were nursing injuries. There was the fallout from the alleged perp in the cast, the swapping of choreographers, and the hazardous set (rain, running around backstage and up stairs, etc.) Now with the Rudin stuff, I’m not sure how eager this group is to resume.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#22The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/13/21 at 2:05pm

While I would love nothing more than for this to return, I could certainly understand why if it does not. The show already had controversy surrounding it before the pandemic hit and before the Rudin allegations hit the fan. Also, I can see how this particular production might not work well in tandem with another major adaptation (the Spielberg film that will most likely be staying more true to the original film and original stage production than this current revival) coming out at the same time as they are trying to begin performances again on Broadway. I said it this in the previews thread, but this West Side Story revival is extremely brutal, raw, and violent - more so than any other version of West Side Story.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

East Village Profile Photo
East Village
#23The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/13/21 at 2:54pm

WSS cast was told to plan on reassembling in October for a November reopening

gibsons2
#24The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/13/21 at 3:31pm

East Village said: "WSS cast was told to plan on reassembling in October for a November reopening "

Such great news!! 

Dolly80
#25The fate of WSS and MOCKINGBIRD
Posted: 5/13/21 at 3:50pm

WSS should absolutely reopen. It’s a bold and electrifying production and why should all of those people be jobless because of that asshole? 

Ramasar should definitely  not come back but everyone else should.

Updated On: 5/13/21 at 03:50 PM