pixeltracker

Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread- Page 3

Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#50Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 6:22pm

All I know is that the film is getting tons of exposure on TikTok, via the clip of "Revolting Children" that was released. People are in awe of the choreography and dancing, and particularly the girl in the red beret, who's inspired a viral dance challenge. 

Updated On: 12/4/22 at 06:22 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#51Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 6:26pm

MATILDA is one of my favorite and most cherished musicals of all time - I am beyond excited for this film.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#52Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 6:31pm

I mean, that "Revolting Children" number was GOOOOOD. I'm glad the film has a director that trusts the material unlike other directors from the 2000's who butchered the musicals. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#53Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 8:57pm

bwayphreak234 said: "MATILDA is one of my favorite and most cherished musicals of all time - I am beyond excited for this film."

The cast album alone chokes me up. I can’t wait to see the film.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#54Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 9:11pm

I’ve only heard the new song thus far, “Still Holding My Hand”, and I already hear the echoes of “When I Grow Up” as it builds and builds. 

Pretty sure I’ll be shedding enough tears by then when it releases on Netflix. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Theatre Fan3
#55Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/4/22 at 9:55pm

Have seen the show numerous times in the West End during my annual London Theatre week trip and really looking forward to seeing the film.  Can't wait for December 25th to watch on Netflix so went ahead and booked a ticket for the 1st show at 10:00 am this Friday when it opens and then booked tickets again for Tuesday, December 13th when a couple friends are able to join me.  I really think it will be worth seeing it for the first time on the big screen.  Netflix will be fine for repeat viewings.   smiley

Updated On: 12/4/22 at 09:55 PM

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#56Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/5/22 at 4:05pm

Theatre Fan3 said: "Have seen the show numerous times in the West End during my annual London Theatre week trip and really looking forward to seeing the film. Can't wait for December 25th to watch on Netflix so went ahead and booked a ticket for the 1st show at 10:00 am this Friday when it opens and then booked tickets again for Tuesday, December 13th when a couple friends are able to join me. I really think it will be worth seeing it for the first time on the big screen. Netflix will be fine for repeat viewings. smiley"

Where are you seeing it?

Theatre Fan3
#57Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/5/22 at 5:13pm

TheQuibbler said: "Theatre Fan3 said: "Have seen the show numerous times in the West End during my annual London Theatre week trip and really looking forward to seeing the film. Can't wait for December 25th to watch on Netflix so went ahead and booked a ticket for the 1st show at 10:00 am this Friday when it opens and then booked tickets again for Tuesday, December 13th when a couple friends are able to join me. I really think it will be worth seeing it for the first time on the big screen. Netflix will be fine for repeat viewings. smiley"

Where are you seeing it?
"

It's playing at the local Cinemark Theater here.

SydneyBristow
#58Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/22 at 10:48pm

Triumphant History of Matilda (Wait in the Wings)

Re-watched this in anticipation of the movie.  This was one of my favorites (the channel Wait in the Wings/Brendon Henderson does an incredible job with theater history).  Most of us have been rooting for Matilda the Musical early on, and I feel this video's history facts make it even more special.  Especially the way Tim Minchin was looped in again, a decade after his initial interest!

TheQuibbler
#59Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/22 at 11:16pm

For the those of you in NYC, it’ll be playing at The Quad Cinema this week.

Owen22
#60Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/22 at 8:34am

I'm still in London and was able to see this last night. It is absolutely fantastic! Probably my favourite film of the year. Was a huge fan of the stage show, but it was a little over-packed with plot and characters, so Warchus has  streamlined it in the best way possible. What performances! What filmic aesthetics! What a delight!

TotallyEffed
#61Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/22 at 10:00am

It really is very good, and feels like an instant classic. Children and families will love this. The production numbers, especially Revolting Children, are jaw-droppingly fantastic. The little girl who plays Matilda gives a remarkable performance...just wow. It's very funny, moving (I couldn't help but cry a bit), and a very fun time that flies by. I'm still on the fence about Thompson as Trunch. I love her as an actress, but I really would have preferred Bertie Carvel reprise his role. The keys she sings in feel a bit off and she's so silly at times that she isn't scary or menacing enough. I personally think the Trunch should be genuinely frightening and alien, not just a clown.

All in all, I loved it.

Theatre Fan3
#62Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/22 at 1:14pm

Has Netflix ever included any "Behind the Scenes/Making of" footage or deleted scenes before?  That's one of the things I always enjoyed about dvd/blu ray releases.  Would love to seeing of those sorts of features.  Looking forward to catching the first showing tomorrow in our local theater.  Been waiting a long time for this.  Curious how many of you here in the US are planning on seeing it in a theater before it's December 25th release on Netflix.

Theatre Fan3
#63Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/9/22 at 9:48pm

Saw it this morning and it definitely lived up to all the glowing reviews.  I didn't miss the parts they left out.  The film works fine as it is.  Not a weak link in the entire cast.  They all had incredible voices!!  So glad I was able to catch it in the theatre as no matter how good of a setup you have at home it can't compare to seeing it on the big screen with that booming surround sound.  I was really impressed with the orchestrations on the cast recording but they really sounded phenomenal in the theatre.  I've got tickets to see it one more time on Tuesday and then will be content with watching on Netflix from then on.  Did anybody else get a chance to see it today?

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#64Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/10/22 at 1:02pm

I saw it on Thursday night and completely adored it. I similarly didn’t miss any of the material they cut, because the movie does an excellent job of zeroing in on Matilda herself. As a lifelong fan of the novel, the original movie, and the musical, I think this adaptation gets the most right of each of the others. In particular, it makes the most sense of the link between Matilda and Miss Honey (largely due to Alisha Weir and Lashana Lynch’s tremendously effective performances). I even loved the new final song “Still Holding My Hand”. I always thought it was strange the show ends on a prolonged book scene after “Revolting Children” and the new song ties up Matilda and Miss Honey’s story gorgeously.

Speaking of Alisha Weir, nominate this kid for an Oscar. What a performance. Such a transparent, vulnerable performance from such a young actor. She’ll break your heart. The abuse and neglect Matilda endures is more obvious here than any other iteration of the story - it’s clearer than ever that the character’s brilliance and supernatural abilities are the product of her trauma - and her performance channels all of this is one of the most genuine child performances I’ve ever seen.

I thought Emma Thompson was great and makes her Trunchbull unique enough to escape the shadow Pam Ferris and Bertie Carvel cast over the role. She’s by far the most frightening iteration, often looking like a mix between The Child-Catcher and Christopher Walken’s Headless Horseman, but she doesn’t have as much of the comedic edge I’d prefer to make her just a little more fun. However, the movie chooses to ground itself more in reality than the musical did, with Matilda’s imagination offering the necessary flights of fancy, so I understand toning down the character’s more obvious strangeness.

I’m sad I won’t be able to own this on Blu-Ray. I would happily add it to my collection. But I’ll be seeing this in theaters one more time and will definitely watch… far too often on Netflix.

Updated On: 12/10/22 at 01:02 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#65Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/10/22 at 4:58pm

What a joy from start to finish. The opening sequence feels a little disconnected from the rest of the film in its style, but it's still a delight on its own.

Alisha Weir is a real find as Matilda, and Emma Thompson chews every bit of scenery. Worked perfectly with a woman in the part. Especially liked Lashana Lynch, who I've been hot and cold on in other movies.

Highly recommend!

TotallyEffed
#66Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/10/22 at 5:15pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "What a joy from start to finish. The opening sequence feels a little disconnected from the rest of the film in its style, but it's still a delight on its own.”

Totally agree about the opening number.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#67Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/10/22 at 5:21pm

The opening number is the type of thing that people will isolate on Twitter and say "look how they ruined my beloved Matilda." There is a telletubby-meets-Wes Anderson energy to it. But after that you get into a more natural (but heightened) style in the production design and filmmaking.

The babies are adorable tho!

TheQuibbler
#68Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/22 at 9:07am

ColorTheHours048 said: "I saw it on Thursday night and completely adored it. I similarly didn’t miss any of the material they cut, because the movie does an excellent job of zeroing in on Matilda herself. As a lifelong fan of the novel, the original movie, and the musical, I think this adaptation gets the most right of each of the others. In particular, it makes the most sense of the link between Matilda and Miss Honey (largely due to Alisha Weir and Lashana Lynch’s tremendously effective performances). I even loved the new final song “Still Holding My Hand”. I always thought it was strange the show ends on a prolonged book scene after “Revolting Children” and the new song ties up Matilda and Miss Honey’s story gorgeously.

Speaking of Alisha Weir, nominate this kid for an Oscar. What a performance. Such a transparent, vulnerable performance from such a young actor. She’ll break your heart. The abuse and neglect Matilda endures is more obvious here than any other iteration of the story - it’s clearer than ever that the character’s brilliance and supernatural abilities are the product of her trauma - and her performance channels all of this is one of the most genuine child performances I’ve ever seen.

I thought Emma Thompson was great and makes her Trunchbull unique enough to escape the shadow Pam Ferris and Bertie Carvel cast over the role. She’s by far the most frightening iteration, often looking like a mix between The Child-Catcher and Christopher Walken’s Headless Horseman, but she doesn’t have as much of the comedic edge I’d prefer to make her just a little more fun. However, the movie chooses to ground itself more in reality than the musical did, with Matilda’s imagination offering the necessary flights of fancy, so I understand toning down the character’s more obvious strangeness.

I’m sad I won’t be able to own this on Blu-Ray. I would happily add it to my collection. But I’ll be seeing this in theaters one more time and will definitely watch… far too often on Netflix.
"

Came on here to give my assessment but you pretty much summed it up. I thought the film was smart, strong, and well paced. The way they rearranged the Acrobat/Escapologist stories was clever (these were sections in the play that lived or died by the ability of the actress playing Matilda) and the pay off during “My House” was heart wrenching. Weir was sensational, such an emotionally intelligence performance and perhaps the first time I heard and understood all the lyrics in “Quiet.” I, too, wished Thompson had been slightly funnier (Christopher Seiber has that quality of making nearly everything funny, so perhaps an unfair comparison), but she had some real great moments, her crazed depression in her final scene was really fun. 

I love this show so much (I saw it 5 times) so maybe my assessment will never be super fair but I really loved it and it’s a nice companion piece to the show. 

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#69Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/15/22 at 9:07am

I'm really confused about the distribution of this film. It is one of the best stage to screen musical adaptations I've seen and I don't think it could be on any fewer screens. I live in Atlanta and it was only playing in one theatre within 25 miles of me and for just one week. Seems they spent a ton of money on production based on the design alone. 

This is exactly the kind of movie that would do well with families around the holidays, and they wasted the marketing opportunity to take it directly to Netflix. This is a film that really needs a big screen and big sound experience. 

We absolutely loved it, including our friend who isn't generally a musical fan.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#70Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/22 at 12:23pm

Count me in on being excited for this movie. Really enjoyed the musical and judging from reviews and people's thoughts after watching it in theaters, it seems like a really solid musical film adaptation from beginning to end. I wonder if after In The Heights, Tick, Tick Boom!, and West Side Story 2021 came out that movie musicals now have directors and producers treating the genre better than it has been for years.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#71Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/22 at 10:13pm

Did anyone else stop by the "Matilda" truck in Times Square on the 7th. I had forgotten the date and happened to be walking by. They gave out hot cocoa and Matilda bookmarks. I got the bookmark.

Just give the world Love.

TotallyEffed
#72Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 11:15am

theatretenor2 said: "I'm really confused about the distribution of this film. It is one of the best stage to screen musical adaptations I've seen and I don't think it could be on any fewer screens. I live in Atlanta and it was only playing in one theatre within 25 miles of me and for just one week. Seems they spent a ton of money on production based on the design alone.

This is exactly the kind of movie that would do well with families around the holidays, and they wasted the marketing opportunity to take it directly to Netflix. This is a film that really needs a big screen and big sound experience.

We absolutely loved it, including our friend who isn't generally a musical fan.
"

The film wouldn’t have been made without Netflix.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#73Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 1:04pm

But it's idiotic of Netflix this year to keep leaving massive amounts of money on the table, while hemorrhaging subscribers, to keep their theatrical limited in the "small gesture for awards eligibility" scope. They likely lost hundreds of millions by refusing to extend and expand the Knives Out theatrical run when it saw huge numbers in a very small release for one week. Even if this has 1/4 the appeal, it's a well-known show from a beloved book with a previous adaptation that became a generational classic on video and TV. They're staying out of theatrical out of stubbornness at this point. 

KathyNYC2
#74Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/18/22 at 2:16am

OK I know this is a minuscule questions. I know there is a new song for the finale but please someone tell; me if Matllda and Ms Honey cartwheel off into the sunset as they did on stage. I am not sure if would work the same way on film but it was one of my favorite moments of the musical on stage. Thanks in advance.