pixeltracker

Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?

Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?

FirstNighter2
#1Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/3/21 at 5:26pm

I know we dont know. Can we deduce? The Palace?

Please not the Broadway. Please not the Marquis.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/3/21 at 5:30pm

My guess is the August Wilson.

Oh look, a bibu!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#3Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/3/21 at 5:36pm

The poster who originally broke the Beanie casting news said it's the August Wilson, so that's the rumor with the most credibility.

Funny Girl 2022 Revival - Page 14 (broadwayworld.com)

FirstNighter2
#4Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/3/21 at 5:40pm

Oh! I hadn’t seen that. Thanks!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#5Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/4/21 at 2:40am

No way the palace will be ready by spring

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BdwyFan
#6Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/4/21 at 7:04am

A great theater!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/4/21 at 9:13am

The Wilson is ugly as sin...those terra cotta-colored plaster walls make me feel like I'm in a cave + there's the weird lobby layout. I wish Jujamcyn would do more to rehab the interiors of the Wilson and the St. James, aesthetically.

BUT, it's the perfect size for this show. (The same cannot be said about its current tenant.)

FirstNighter2
#8Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/4/21 at 10:03am

I figured as much. But was kinda hoping. The Palace was not just a vaudeville house, but THE vaudeville house. And Fanny Brice played the Palace. Wouldn’t it have been something to see this revival play the Palace?

Fanny Brice appeared on stage at the Winter Garden, where Funny Girl opened with Barbra back in the 60s. We know the Winter Garden will be tied up with The Music Man. And we know the New Amsterdam, where she also appeared, is booked, too. 

Updated On: 9/4/21 at 10:03 AM

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#9Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/4/21 at 12:05pm

I can assure you where Fanny Brice has performed isn’t a factor in where the show plays.

The Wilson is a good fit. Smaller house, easier to sell and create demand.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#10Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/4/21 at 12:54pm

The Wilson is ugly as sin...those terra cotta-colored plaster walls make me feel like I'm in a cave + there's the weird lobby layout. I wish Jujamcyn would do more to rehab the interiors of the Wilson and the St. James, aesthetically.

Me too but they are cheap as hell evidently. I mean, to save a buck Jujamcyn hired SeatGeek which is the worst ticketing service ever. 

Updated On: 9/4/21 at 12:54 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#11Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/4/21 at 2:23pm

Sutton Ross said: "I mean, to save a buck they hired SeatGeek which is the worst ticketing service ever."

The landlord does not save anything because the landlord does not pay anything. Ticketing is on the producer's dime. I agree, however, that SeakGeek is bad news.

gymman Profile Photo
gymman
#12Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/4/21 at 3:08pm

Sutton seems to post whether she knows anything or not.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#13Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/4/21 at 3:13pm

Totes, broheim. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#14Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/5/21 at 2:15pm

I guess I'm in the minority. I LOVE the Wilson. It has an interesting layout - like the Majestic, that I enjoy. The interior is interesting and doesn't have those annoying side boxes, so pretty much every view is great. I love the outside and the marquee. 

I think it would suit Funny Girl well. I just hope they scraped the London production and come at this with fresh eyes. 

FatedDarling
#15Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/9/21 at 6:25am

Alright, if Funny Girl doesn’t go to the Broadway, then what does? It’s not a house that stays dormant for long.

Shalfoard
#16Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/9/21 at 7:51am

Before it was refurbished, the Wilson interior looked more like a high school auditorium than a Broadway theater. Really ugly when ON YOUR TOES played there in the 1980s..  IIRC, when it first opened as the Guild, the auditorium walls were covered with tapestries.  Then in the 1940s it became a radio studio.  The interior has been greatly altered over the years. 

Zion24
#17Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/9/21 at 10:09am

RippedMan said: "I guess I'm in the minority. I LOVE the Wilson. It has an interesting layout - like the Majestic, that I enjoy. The interior is interesting and doesn't have those annoying side boxes, so pretty much every view is great. I love the outside and the marquee."

I'm with you- i thought it was perfect for Groundhog Day, for example.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#18Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/9/21 at 10:23am

Never got to the August Wilson for my favorite show a Jersey Boys, only saw it on tour. However, I know people who have seen JB as well as Mean Girls, one orchestra seat and one mezz seat, for which shows I’m unsure, rave reviews of the view from both seats. No idea how much space the stage and set could have but, seems to be a good pick.

broadwaymarty
#19Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/9/21 at 10:54am

The Shubert

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#20Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/9/21 at 10:54am

FatedDarling said: "Alright, if Funny Girl doesn’t go to the Broadway, then what does? It’s not a house that stays dormant for long."

I would love it if this were to play the Broadway, where the original production moved when it vacated the Winter Garden. And when the August Wilson rumor was talked about originally the non-reopening of West Side Story announcement hadn't been made yet, so unless the Jujamcyn's are part of the producing team bringing this in, MAYBE it going to the Broadway could happen?!?! No matter what theater it is in, I'll be there!!!

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#21Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/9/21 at 11:11am

Shalfoard said: "Before it was refurbished, the Wilson interior looked more like a high school auditorium than a Broadway theater. Really ugly when ON YOUR TOES played there in the 1980s.. IIRC, when it first opened as the Guild, the auditorium walls were covered with tapestries. Then in the 1940s it became a radio studio. The interior has been greatly altered over the years."

Do any pictures exist of it in that 'school auditorium' state? I would love to see what that looked like :)

Zion24
#22Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/9/21 at 11:42am

Broadway Bob* said: "FatedDarling said: "Alright, if Funny Girl doesn’t go to the Broadway, then what does? It’s not a house that stays dormant for long."

I would love it if this were to play the Broadway, where the original production moved when it vacated the Winter Garden. And when the August Wilson rumor was talked about originally the non-reopening of West Side Story announcement hadn't been made yet, so unless the Jujamcyn's are part of the producing team bringing this in, MAYBE it going to the Broadway could happen?!?! No matter what theater it is in, I'll be there!!!
"

theyd have to be insane to try and fill the Broadway Theater every night

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#23Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/9/21 at 12:00pm

I think it might be wise for this production to do a try-out somewhere. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

SouthernCakes
#24Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/9/21 at 1:36pm

It played the Savoy in London. If that’s any indication to size.

Shalfoard
#25Funny Girl 2022 — What Theatre?
Posted: 9/10/21 at 3:59pm

Don't have any pictures of the Wilson interior prior to the 1995 renovation.  But here's a NYT article on the renovations that will give you some idea of what shape it was in.  industrial fluorescent light fixtures, instead of chandeliers.  The walls were all white, later painted all black for CARRIE.  Calling it plain would be an understatement. Note only the exterior is landmarked.

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/01/22/realestate/commercial-propertyvirginia-theater-a-broadway-showplace-returns.html

Updated On: 9/10/21 at 03:59 PM