pixeltracker

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews- Page 4

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#75CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/11/21 at 5:22pm

VintageSnarker said: "Thanks, Taffy! It looks good to me. I'll see how the show is selling in December and if there are discounts on the front row."

For what it’s worth, I sat in the 4th row, just off center in the orchestra and it was way too close. All of the action on the turntable looks incredibly cramped and it was hard to follow some of the action and appreciate the stage pictures. I would recommend slightly farther back or just closer to the stage in the mezz, if you can swing it.

VintageSnarker
#76CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/11/21 at 5:35pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "For what it’s worth, I sat in the 4th row, just off center in the orchestra and it was way too close. All of the action on the turntable looks incredibly cramped and it was hard to follow some of the action and appreciate the stage pictures. I would recommend slightly farther back or just closer to the stage in the mezz, if you can swing it."

Hmn... I prefer being centered to being closer if I have to choose. There are the same $149 tickets in row G.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#77CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/11/21 at 5:45pm

Sutton Ross said: "Im aware of what it says but it's longer than that."

You also specifically mentioned it started 17 mins late, which is abnormal and something to consider in the time you left the theater! 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#78CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/11/21 at 5:53pm

Lolz,

Let's do a wee bit of math, shall we? Im sure you can follow along.

It started at 3:17pm.

The show is two hours and 25 total including the intermission.

So.....That would mean I would be leaving at 5:42pm. But, I left exactly 10 minutes AFTER THAT.

Thanks so much, though CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#79CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/12/21 at 6:01pm

Sutton Ross said: "Lolz,

Let's do a wee bit of math, shall we? Im sure you can follow along.

It started at 3:17pm.

The show is two hours and 25 total including the intermission.

So.....That would mean I would be leaving at 5:42pm. But, I left exactly 10 minutes AFTER THAT.

Thanks so much, though CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
"

Sutton, I was not questioning or doubting you. I KNOW the show is longer than that. I was simply saying the abnormally late start to your performance (that you included in your original comment) should be factored in on the timing for the poster who was trying to figure out timing between shows. 

Sutton Ross
#80CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/12/21 at 6:22pm

I apologize, thanks for your explanation. Im sorry for being an asshole. 

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#81CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/14/21 at 11:48pm

Saw tonight’s show and I have to say I didn’t really care for it. (Though I’d still encourage everyone to see it. I think this one will divide people). The cast is fantastic and many of the material is relevant today, but I really just didn’t like the show. The objects singing took me out of the story instead of enhancing the story, especially the Moon. The Radio Singers are amazing and Salty Tear Drops is delicious - though it has nothing to do with the plot and the Radio isn’t even in that scene…. I could go on and on about moments that made no sense to me, but I’ll spare you.

None of the songs really stuck with me outside of Salty, which surprised me because I typically love Tesori’s music. The cast indeed sounds wonderful and I feel like I would’ve enjoyed it more if I’d heard the music beforehand.

Standout performances were Caissie, Samantha (stole the show for me. She’s fantastic), and of course Sharon. Her 11 o’clock number got a huge reaction from the crowd.

I’d be curious to see another production or video of the original. I can’t decide if I just don’t like the show, or if choices on this production were lost on me.

"In here, life is beautiful"

Zion24
#82CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 12:16am

i was also at tonight's show. i lived abroad in the early 00's and missed this show completely, so I went in knowing nothing except (i) Tony Kushner never disappoints; and (ii) that Lot's Wife performance by Tonya Pinkins at the Tony Awards.

Kushner disappoints. I didn't think this show was boring for a second, don't get me wrong, I loved the characters and loved the world he created. But in terms of Book = Plot... meh. Maybe its the politics of the day but the statute subplot was confusing, and ultimately irrelevant? Am I right in assuming that the big prominent statue on stage at opening is a new addition? Because of my respect for Kushner and optimism in general, I guess, I was sure that statue subplot would figure more prominently, just as I was sure we'd see some sort of interaction between Rose's father and Caroline, or we'd see some come-uppance for little Noah at some point. I found myself disappointed in my own expectations-- even though I loved the subject matter and many of the points Kushner manages to get across anyway. I walk away very mixed, and I imagine my opinion will evolve over time (as it has re Lehman Trilogy)- the sign of a work that stays with you. Can't complain about that.

So while I didnt love the musical itself, I have to disagree with many of the criticisms above: i was in the back of the front mezz (perfect view, even towards the side) but from where I was, the costumes and set were FINE- simple, yes, but effective. My biggest takeaway from the cast was the sheer wonder of their vocals. Kevin McAllister took my breath away (twice), and the Radio were just sublime. I mean, WOW. And Samantha Williams- I thought her character would be a silly distraction at first but then boom, off she went. Real scene stealer. (Even the grandparents were impressive in their moments).

Caissie Levy and Tamika Lawrence were both highlights- yes they sang the hell out of the show, but both seemed like yin/yang of the foils in Caroline's life, and both took characters that could have gone very preachy and made them very human. Lawrence has a meatier role, and will hopefully get recognized award season, but I thought Levy made Rose more complicated than she was written. (And I loved hearing someone on stage pronouncing Hebrew authentically and correctly.). 

Two weakest links were Nkenge's Moon--and this just might be the score/book, but I found her songs boring, and her voice drowned out the others. ANd this PAINS me but John Cariani is doing the same exact thing I've seen him do previously, and given the cast around him, his routine voice stuck out a bit like a sore thumb. (Is he actually playing the clarinet? Because then I take it back, he contributes a bunch).

As for Sharon Clarke: in the first number, her rich deep voice made me think "Ah so she can really sing" because, again, I only know Pinkin's croaking through Lot's Wife in 2004. And she can, and she does, and Lot's Wife stopped the show and gave me chills. She's doing great work, and I think her interpretation makes sense plenty. BUT because she plays the role so sad (and not as angry), and so withdrawn (and not as what I imagine was Pinkins' feistiness or sass, not sure of the right word), she sorta fades into the background a bit. I thought Dotty and Emmie outshone her- I wanted to hear more from THEM. We are told that Caroline is stronger than Noah's dad and Noah's mom- well, Cariani is so weak and quiet, DUH, and Levy's Rose seemed to go toe to toe with Caroline, easily. Again, I get what Clarke is doing, and maybe it makes Lot's Wife a bit more of an explosion, but there is a subdued quality there that I thought hurt the show.

All that said, hard not to urge people to see this. I was never bored, and even with the blips above, 2.5 hours flew by. I am traveling the next few weeks and I am so glad I got to see this (and Lehman, and Suresh) before I go. Theater makes me breathe, and this is good theater

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#83CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 12:50am

KitKatBoy24 said: "Saw tonight’s show and I have to say I didn’t really care for it. (Though I’d still encourage everyone to see it. I think this one will divide people). The cast is fantastic and many of the material is relevant today, but I really just didn’t like the show. The objects singing took me out of the story instead of enhancing the story, especially the Moon. The Radio Singers are amazing and Salty Tear Drops is delicious - though it has nothing to do with the plot and the Radio isn’t even in that scene…. I could go on and on about moments that made no sense to me, but I’ll spare you.

None of the songs really stuck with me outside of Salty, which surprised me because I typically love Tesori’s music. The cast indeed sounds wonderful and I feel like I would’ve enjoyed it more if I’d heard the music beforehand.

Standout performances were Caissie, Samantha (stole the show for me. She’s fantastic), and of course Sharon. Her 11 o’clock number got a huge reaction from the crowd.

I’d be curious to see another production or video of the original. I can’t decide if I just don’t like the show, or if choices on this production were lost on me.
"

"Then you missed the whole reference in "Salty Teardrops". It did have to do with the song Caroline had just finished singing and has a lot do do in reference to the story.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 10/15/21 at 12:50 AM

Sutton Ross
#84CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 2:03am

For a complicated subject matter, the first act is very dull and very slow. My neighbor left at intermission and I saw some empty seats in the orchestra as well. The second act is VERY well done, people just need to stay for it. 

VintageSnarker
#85CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 2:33am

KitKatBoy24 said: "None of the songs really stuck with me outside of Salty, which surprised me because I typically love Tesori’s music. The cast indeed sounds wonderful and I feel like I would’ve enjoyed it more if I’d heard the music beforehand."

I think that's fair. It's like a non-classic opera that's actually enjoyable to listen to (sorry, modern operas) but you can't pull out songs as easily as you do with other mostly sung-through shows.

Zion24 said: "Maybe its the politics of the day but the statute subplot was confusing, and ultimately irrelevant? Am I right in assuming that the big prominent statue on stage at opening is a new addition? Because of my respect for Kushner and optimism in general, I guess, I was sure that statue subplot would figure more prominently, just as I was sure we'd see some sort of interaction between Rose's father and Caroline, or we'd see some come-uppance for little Noah at some point."

I don't understand seeing the statue subplot as irrelevant. Without spoilers, it helps carry the "change" theme and informs our understanding of Emmie. I don't know what comeuppance Noah should have gotten. Caroline left. His illusions were shattered. Were you expecting corporal punishment? (This is a genuine question.) Why would Caroline and Rose's father interact more than they did?

I'm surprised so many people are reading Sharon as sad. She's certainly contained but she reads as weary to me, not depressed. Her anger is simmering until it boils over. I understand taking in so much bitterness and resentment that you find yourself lashing out in almost uncontrollable ways. 

Zion24
#86CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 3:33am

VintageSnarker said: "
Zion24 said: "Maybe its the politics of the day but the statute subplot was confusing, and ultimately irrelevant? Am I right in assuming that the big prominent statue on stage at opening is a new addition? Because of my respect for Kushner and optimism in general, I guess, I was sure that statue subplot would figure more prominently, just as I was sure we'd see some sort of interaction between Rose's father and Caroline, or we'd see some come-uppance for little Noah at some point."

I don't understand seeing the statue subplot as irrelevant. Without spoilers, it helps carry the "change" theme and informs our understanding of Emmie. I don't know what comeuppance Noah should have gotten. Caroline left. His illusions were shattered. Were you expecting corporal punishment? (This is a genuine question.) Why would Caroline and Rose's father interact more than they did?

I'm surprised so many people are reading Sharon as sad. She's certainly contained but she reads as weary to me, not depressed. Her anger is simmering until it boils over. I understand taking in so much bitterness and resentment that you find yourself lashing out in almost uncontrollable ways.
"

Weary is probably a better adjective than sad. She didnt stand out, her weariness and exhaustion made her recede into the background. Maybe thats a function of Tamika Lawrence and Samantha Williams, but the main protagonist didnt interest me as much as the other characters. Maybe thats just the function of the story, it isnt fatal to the show, and my only guessing when I suspect that Pinkins did more to draw the audience in... but by sad I guess I mean subdued.

If the statue played a more prominent role towards the end, then I just missed it because it was all wrapped up in that quick final number. I don't see how Emmie's actions re the statute represent change because didnt she do whatever she did at the statue before the play even starts? And no, I wasn't suggesting corporal punishment! Noah and Caroline both say and do horrible things. Caroline is tortured over it and it leads to the penultimate number in the show. Noah is punished by Caroline's absence but hides the story from his parents and never seems to confront what he said/did. Thats Kushner's prerogative, but it felt unfinished. As for Rose's father, yes Emmie disagreed with his more radical worldview, but Caroline? We dont know (we can guess) because she never says. Again, I'm not criticizing the book as much as I am admitting I was looking forward to more, and the story just never got there for me. 

sondheim94 Profile Photo
sondheim94
#87CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 9:17am

@Vintage, I think that's why I love this musical so much. You're wanting it to spell everything out for you - how Caroline feels, why Noah doesn't fess up to his parents. These are people. With complex emotions and thoughts. Thoughts that aren't always sung out loud for the audience to hear. I find that that's the beauty of the piece. There's so much left unsaid.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#88CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 9:41am

It's interesting to see the same complaints people had about the show when it initially premiered, even though it's become sort of a "classic" in the meantime. 

Caroline is a difficult, unsatisfying character. She fades into the background because that's what she's supposed to do if she doesn't want to suffer. Her big realization is not a positive one, she asks God to suffocate the little bit of hope she has within her. Any positive change that happens in America will not include her. 

It's why the statute is so important. Change CAN happen through the younger generation. But it's hard and it's slow and it's painful and it won't include everyone. 

In a lot of ways I think Caroline, Or Change is really unsatisfying. I can see why that rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I think that's its strength. There aren't any answers and the wounds still haven't healed. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#89CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 9:43am

Important note: I have NOT seen this production.  And somehow, I missed the original run entirely.  However there  was a production mounted up here in Boston a few years ago, so I decided to FINALLY go see it.  

Im sad to say it just didn't fire with me...not on any cylinders.   I've had the thought that, perhaps, it was the production and I should try again  --  but I just can't get myself psyched to do so.   This is the first time I can remember being SAD that I didn't get the appeal of a show - but alas, alack, I just don't.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

sondheim94 Profile Photo
sondheim94
#90CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 9:47am

KJ you explain it PERFECTLY. And why I love the show so much. It's a tough show. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#91CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 10:51am

This is never going to be a crowd pleaser. It's simply not written that way. Most main characters are changed by the events of a story and this title character is *resisting* change. (And here is where the statue subplot is so crucial.)

That said, I love it. The score is simply stunning.

Alexander Lamar
#92CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 12:03pm

I agree that, for me, that is the brilliance of the piece. When the show premiered it was 40 years after the time of the show and not much had changed for black people. Now it’s 20 years later and in a lot of ways that is still true. I know Caroline. She is my Nana, my aunts, my mom, her aunts. I just can’t get enough.

But yes I think the writing and story will always divide people and ultimately this show will always be a hard sell and probably never a commercial success. I’m just so thankful that this production is happening now so I can see it.

SouthernCakes
#93CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 12:05pm

Just convinced me to fly to NYC. I’m aging myself but I use to go to the library and rent out the 2 disc CD set once a month. Just love the score and the story and I’ve never seen it on stage.

BdwyFan
#94CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 12:12pm

Went with my friends the other night. They didn’t understand the ending and thought Caroline drowns in the basement because the laundry machine overflows with bubbles and water. Lol.

gibsons2
#95CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 12:45pm

BdwyFan said: "Went with my friends the other night. They didn’t understand the ending and thought Caroline drowns in the basement because the laundry machine overflows with bubbles and water. Lol."

Wow, that's some unexpected interpretation lol 

In all seriousness though, I think this musical has a brilliant,  multi layered book that probably impossible to appreciate just after one viewing. I can't stop thinking of it after a week. 

teatime2
#96CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 1:17pm

The person sitting next to me also left during intermission. They were very excited pre-show and shared that information with me. I really do love the majority of the material, but I don't think the length of the show is justified. This could easily be a one-act that has a clearer focus on the characters and take the necessary moments out. Act One is all exposition for very little pay off in Act Two.

Sutton Ross
#97CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 1:21pm

Yes, act 1 is slow and unimpressive. People shouldn't give up and stay for the second act. They have your money either way. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#98CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 1:31pm

teatime2 said: "Act One is all exposition for very little pay off in Act Two."

No.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#99CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/15/21 at 1:35pm

Jordan have you commented on this production before? I mean even from the UK. I can’t recall.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/15/21 at 01:35 PM