pixeltracker

Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?

Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?

StardustsChild Profile Photo
StardustsChild
#1Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/9/21 at 5:47pm

Last night I saw Hadestown for the first time since its preview period in 2019. The show holds up incredibly well, and I was particularly charmed by Tom Hewitt as Hades (in particular Chant Reprise, which became a flurry of fiery fury in his capable hands). 

However, I couldn't help but consider how strongly the role is tied to Patrick Page's incredibly deep voice. The adjusted keys work well, and Hewitt certainly sold them, but it got me thinking about other roles that were written in such a way that adjustments have to be made for anyone who takes on the role after the originator - if memory serves, all of the Hades' understudies do the higher key options as well. 

What other roles have a similar specificity, where core parts have to be altered for successive portrayals? Roles have certainly been made iconic, but I can't think of other roles where the actual physical demands have to be changed.

"Life is already so dark. If you have got the talent to make it brighter and bring people hope & joy, why would you withhold that?"

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#2Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/9/21 at 5:58pm

What you are describing here is not really a significant change, keys are very often altered for replacements.

I guess one of the most famous examples must be Sunset Boulevard, in which no other Norma (even those who could have) sang the role in the key Patti sang. Jean Valjean was a baritone in the original French production but became a tenor to accommodate Colm Wilkinson's voice. Tyne Daly's keys in Gypsy were not Merman's; hell, not even Patti's keys were Merman's keys in Gypsy! Diana's key was lowered for Marin Mazzie in N2N. And of course Anna in The King and I was written for someone with a rather weak singing voice, while it later became (with the notable exception of the 1996 revival) a signature role for sopranos.

But yeah, keys are very often altered for replacements in most productions.

Updated On: 10/9/21 at 05:58 PM

StardustsChild Profile Photo
StardustsChild
#3Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/9/21 at 7:09pm

I think there is a difference between normal key adjustments, and what has to happen with Hades. Page possesses a voice that is deeper than Basso Profundo, which is already an immense rarity in the musical theatre (and in modern opera, to be frank). Hewitt and all who cover the role of Hades seem to be performing a full octave up from Page - again, not a knock on them whatsoever, but I consider that to be a more substantial tonal shift than lowering a song a half step or two.

"Life is already so dark. If you have got the talent to make it brighter and bring people hope & joy, why would you withhold that?"

NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
#4Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/9/21 at 7:22pm

On the topic of Hadestown, the role of Hermes as now played by André De Shields is significantly different from how Chris Sullivan played it Off Broadway.

“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#5Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/9/21 at 8:09pm

The supporting roles in Spamalot were routinely rejiggered for celebrity guests: I don’t know what Alan Tudyk’s specialty was, but David Hyde Pierce did a Marx Brothers/Victor Borge inspired classical piano bit, and Clay Aiken got additional verses that showed off his wide vocal range.

Usher played Billy Flynn and they added additional dancing to the track to show off his talents.

In the original Little Me, Sid Caesar played the leading male roles, and many of them gave him the opportunity to improvise foreign-sounding gibberish (his signature comedic act), while being responsible for very little tune carrying or dancing. The revivals totally retooled that part; Victor Garber and James Coco split most of those roles and then some in the eighties version, and Martin Short played them in 1998. The Short version was punched up by bookwriter Neil Simon and by Short himself: it cut all the improv but gave the characters more punchlines to compensate, as well as involving them in more dancing and physical comedy and significantly more singing than Caesar did. It would have become the official licensing version, but Tams lost the archival parts in a flood.

sondheim94 Profile Photo
sondheim94
#6Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/9/21 at 8:10pm

When Whoopi replaced Nathan Lane in Forum comes to mind. I assume the various Teen Angels who sang Beauty School Dropout - I know Jennifer Holiday was one. I'm sure her key was much different than Billy's.

When Rosie was a replacement for Cat in the Hat comes to mind too. 

James Kerrigan2
#7Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/9/21 at 8:22pm

Elphaba and Glinda in Wicked. Every Elphaba and Glinda after Idina and Kristin made the role their own rather than trying to replicate the Originals. I think of Eden Espinosa, Jessica Vosk, Kara Lindsay, Katie Rose Clarke, Lindsay Mendez, Allison Bailey, and others who took their roles in a completely different direction.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#8Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/9/21 at 8:31pm

James Kerrigan2 said: "Elphaba and Glinda in Wicked. Every Elphaba and Glinda after Idina and Kristin made the role their own rather than trying to replicate the Originals. I think of Eden Espinosa, Jessica Vosk, Kara Lindsay, Katie Rose Clarke, Lindsay Mendez, Allison Bailey, and others who took their roles in a completely different direction."

With all due respect I wholeheartedly disagree with this. I think Wicked’s main flaw is that virtually every Elphaba and Glinda is a cookie cutter version of what Idina and Kristin did. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#9Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/9/21 at 8:31pm

Minor point but I THINK they lowered some of Mazzie’s keys in n2n because her mix/belt was stronger in the lower ranges….so for some songs it had a better dramatic effect. As opposed to why say Imelda Staunton had a lower key than Bernadette in ‘too many mornings’ for Follies so that she could actually hit the notes.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#10Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/9/21 at 9:33pm

NameGreg said: "On the topic of Hadestown, the role of Hermes as now played by André De Shields is significantly different from how Chris Sullivan played it Off Broadway."

I think the Off Broadway version was SO different it would have never made it to Broadway. I liked the integrity of the piece much better. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#11Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/9/21 at 10:17pm

Persephone from Hadestown. Amber Gray - even though she is still with the show - and Kimberly Marable are remarkable. You can tell the difference in their voices and portrayals of the character.

Cady from Mean Girls.

Alexander Hamilton when LMM left.

MattieIce2018
#12Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/9/21 at 10:37pm

I thought that Hewitt was singing Hades' material in the original key, just up an octave. Has that changed recently?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#13Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/9/21 at 10:40pm

With regards to Wicked, Mean Girls, Hamilton, etc. - I don't think that's really what the OP was asking. Different actors will always have somewhat different interpretations of their roles, and sometimes those interpretations can mildly alter the timber of the show. But I think the OP is asking about situations where the creative team actually made changes to the book, score, direction, staging, or choreography to accommodate different actors' skill sets. 

Also, it's interesting to read these examples because the OP was partly asking about times when things were changed because of a LACK of ability (i.e - needing key changes because they can't sing the score as written). Whereas most of the examples in this thread are cases where the changes were made to SHOWCASE the replacement's specific abilities. 

But I think that speaks more to the way things actually work. Aside form key changes or optioning up/down, it's rare that they'd simplify a role for replacements. Because there are a lot of talented people in this industry, and it's not usually that difficult to find people who can meet the technical demands of any given role - even if those technical demands are quite intense. 

adotburr
#14Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/10/21 at 4:35am

I don’t know if this answers OP’s question but Waitress changed Old Joe to Old Josie when they brought in June Squibb. I didn’t see her so I’m not sure if any direction changed but I’d assume they would have to make a few changes to the script to fit with her character.

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”
Updated On: 10/10/21 at 04:35 AM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#15Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/10/21 at 10:36am

I think it’s an interesting question, and although changing keys for different performers (especially stars) is common, I doubt singing a role an entire octave higher (or lower) in a professional production ever happens unless it’s a gender switch. True basses are rare, and Hades might be the only true bass role in musical theatre aside from Caiaphas (which baritones can sort of growl through anyway if they don’t have the really low notes).

In terms of key changes on Broadway, another example is the title role in Jekyll and Hyde. Some of the keys were lowered from what Anthony Warlow sang on the concept recording for Robert Cuccioli when he brought the role to the stage, it was raised like a third to high rock tenor when Sebastian Bach took over (they probably changed the keys for their other stunt castings as well), and now the published MTI version is I think more or less what Warlow sang in a standard musical theatre tenor or lyric baritone range.

Updated On: 10/10/21 at 10:36 AM

sondheim94 Profile Photo
sondheim94
#16Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/10/21 at 11:22am

Adding a tap section in "That's How Young I Feel" for Ann Miller in Mame!

carousel94 Profile Photo
carousel94
#17Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/10/21 at 12:00pm

I didn’t see it, but I think I read that when Eartha Kitt took over Chita’s role in Nine, the extended dance break was removed from “Folies Bergeres” to accommodate her abilities.

Mario Lopez getting the star treatment in A Chorus Line when he played Zach, being made the head of the pyramid formation when that track belongs to Paul… and the costume change from a sweater to a polo to show off his arms 😂

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#18Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/10/21 at 12:06pm

When Sebastian Bach joined the Rocky Horror revival as Riff Raff, significant changes were made;
- Columbia's section of "Science Fiction Double Feature" was given to Riff Raff
- An Entr'acte reprise of "Over at the Frankenstein Place" was added as a Riff Raff solo

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#19Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/10/21 at 12:38pm

I think they raised the key for that Entr’acte version too; if I recall, he sings an endless high C instead of an A.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#20Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/10/21 at 1:42pm

carousel94 said: "I didn’t see it, but I think I read that when Eartha Kitt took over Chita’s role in Nine, the extended dance break was removed from “Folies Bergeres” to accommodate her abilities.

Mario Lopez getting the star treatment in A Chorus Line when he played Zach, being made the head of the pyramid formation when that track belongs to Paul… and the costume change from a sweater to a polo to show off his arms ?
"

Chicago also has different versions of some of the choreography to accommodate non-dancing celebrities.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#21Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/10/21 at 3:05pm

It's interesting to me to see how various Reno Sweeneys in Anything Goes have been adapted to a particular star's strengths (not to mention changes in keys, and even in who sings certain Cole Porter songs, and/or if other songs from his catalogue get interpolated)...

Merman's Reno was the original, of course, and although I certainly didn't see it (I'm not THAT old!) it's likely it was mostly a singing role with very little dancing.

Patti LuPone's version had more choreography but certainly not like what Sutton Foster gave us in Kathleen Marshall's dance-heavy (I'd so deliciously so!) version of the show and the character of Reno.

Updated On: 10/10/21 at 03:05 PM

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#22Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/10/21 at 3:41pm

Funny thing about the Sutton Foster version of Anything Goes. My daughter was an avid Wicked fan for years and I mean avid, devoted, MAJOR fangirl (posters, Tee shirts, CDs, singing Defying Gravity in the shower).

I took her to see Sutton in Anything Goes and on the way home, she said, "Mom you know how Wicked is my favorite musical of all-time?"

"Ah, yes, I sure do," I said.

"I have to change that. Anything Goes with Sutton Foster is the best thing I have ever seen."

Years, later, that's still her gold standard. 

sassylash3s
#23Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/10/21 at 6:26pm

Really a costume change rather than a change in performance, but I think every Penny Pingleton in Hairspray after Kerry Butler wore glasses in the role.

Dollypop
#24Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/10/21 at 6:31pm

Going back a few years to when Tom Conti was replaced in the play WHOSE LIFE IS THIS ANYHOW? by Mary Tyler Moore. Some of the dialogue wascre-written in the gender swap.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

AEA AGMA SM
#25Roles that significantly changed when their originators moved on?
Posted: 10/11/21 at 12:23am

carousel94 said: "Mario Lopez getting the star treatment in A Chorus Line when he played Zach, being made the head of the pyramid formation when that track belongs to Paul… and the costume change from a sweater to a polo to show off his arms ?"

And don't forget that when his costume was changed from a sweater to a polo, they also added a hoodie for Larry (Nick Adams at the time). According to the rumor mill it was because Mario wanted to show off his arms, and also make sure that Nick's arms weren't competing with his.