DIANA Reviews

ArtMan
#75DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 1:24pm

Kad said: "ArtMan said: "So based on these "critics" and the other 63 people, I shouldn't purchase a ticket? Tell that to the other sheep. I say baaaahhh humbug!"

Literally nobody here is saying that. You're not some pillar of individuality for bravely deciding to buy a ticket based on your opinion. I would imagine that, y'know, most people do that.

Go see and enjoy whatever you want. That doesn't mean this production is making money.
"

Kad, literally they are saying that.  Reread the thread.  I'm NOT "some pillar of individuality for bravely deciding to buy a ticket" I bought a ticket, because it was a  production, for the new season, had some interest in it and it was CHEAP.  I ended up liking it.   I'm just not influenced by other people's opinions, including critics.  Unfortunately,  there are some on this site who would love to have that power over people. 

Updated On: 11/21/21 at 01:24 PM

Zion24
#76DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 1:29pm

Showhopper2 said: "
Following their reaction on social media almost all of them are positive. Some even go there 2 times / day, Others already bought tickets for many more additional shows they want to see.

"

Are you saying that the critics are wrong because some people like the show? That is always the case. The critics did not like Wicked; its been running for decades. Are you saying that it has a core base of hardcore fans who love the show? Almost every show does, especially a big campy one like this one. Are you saying that the critics may hate it but its selling out anyway" This seems false. 

I haven't seen Diana because I don't care to; the reviews confirm that it just isn't for me. If there is an audience for it,  i wish it all the best for as long as it can run. But you seem to be bothered that many people don't like the show which, you know, thats life buddy.

ArtMan
#77DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 1:38pm

Zion24, I can't speak for Showstopper2. I will speak for myself.   I'm not bothered that people don't like the show......I'm bothered that people think because THEY didn't like the show,  the show MUST automatically close.

Zion24
#78DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 1:47pm

ArtMan said: "Zion24, I can't speak for Showstopper2. I will speak for myself. I'm not bothered that people don't like the show......I'm bothered that people think because THEY didn't like the show, the show MUST automatically close."

Its hard for me to imagine anyone saying this seriously, but I certainly agree that as long as tickets are being sold, and/or producers want to pay this talented cast and crew regardless, the show should have a long and healthy run. Not all shows are for everyone. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#79DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 2:23pm

ArtMan said: "I'm NOT "some pillar of individuality for bravely deciding to buy a ticket" I bought a ticket, because it was a production, for the new season, had some interest in it and it was CHEAP. I ended up liking it. I'm just not influenced by other people's opinions, including critics. Unfortunately, there are some on this site who would love to have that power over people."

By my count, you are missing every point that's being made. 

1. The point is: the show is not making money. That's a fact. When you say "it was CHEAP" you are buttressing that fact. It is also not a surprise that it is not making money; this is precisely what every knowledgeable person has been saying since the stupid experiment was first announced. You don't seem to care. 

2. The point is: the reviews and WOM have been bad. That's a fact. That fact is not disproven because some people (even you) like it. Some shows make money despite bad reviews. No shows make money despite bad WOM. You don't seem to care.

Moral of story: start caring. DIANA Reviews

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#80DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 2:42pm

Zion24, I can't speak for Showstopper2. I will speak for myself.   I'm not bothered that people don't like the show......I'm bothered that people think because THEY didn't like the show,  the show MUST automatically close.

Who has said this? 

ArtMan
#81DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 4:20pm

HogansHero said: "ArtMan said: "I'm NOT "some pillar of individuality for bravely deciding to buy a ticket" I bought a ticket, because it was a production, for the new season, had some interest in it and it was CHEAP. I ended up liking it. I'm just not influenced by other people's opinions, including critics. Unfortunately, there are some on this site who would love to have that power over people."

By my count, you are missing every point that's being made.

1. The point is: the show is not making money. That's a fact. When you say "it was CHEAP" you are buttressing that fact. It is also not a surprise that it is not making money; this is precisely what every knowledgeable person has been saying since the stupid experiment was first announced. You don't seem to care.

2. The point is: the reviews and WOM have been bad. That's a fact. That fact is not disproven because some people (even you) like it. Some shows make money despite bad reviews. No shows make money despite bad WOM. You don't seem to care.

Moral of story: start caring. DIANA Reviews

"

I'm not missing ANY points.  I DON"T CARE.  Diana closing or staying open isn't going to affect my life in any way.  Of course the show is not making money.   I never said it wasn't.  Reread my posts.  I stated that WOM and critics don't have any influence on my ticket purchasing. WTF does my buying a cheap ticket have to do with whether this stays open or closes.  I bought CHEAP tickets to Doubtfire, Caroline, Sunset and Company.  Then according to you, they are in danger of closing also.  I never spoke whether the show was making/losing money.  Only on if bad reviews influence me.  I need to concern myself with my own stock portfolio. Why the fuk would I care if Diana's Producers are making money?  However, what  I do care about.  There are some on here that think their opinion on just about any subject is the correct and only opinion and have no problem putting down others if they have a opinion that differs.  That works alot around here, because the person is either young, timid or wants to be liked.  I'm not young, sure as hell ain't timid and don't care if a stranger on the internet likes me or not.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#82DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 4:54pm

@ArtMan, the name of this board is Broadway World not ArtMan World. Many (dare I say most?) of us here are interested in shows. As a result, we discuss our opinions and the opinions of others about the artistic merits of those shows. We also discuss the finances, marketing, and viability of shows. You don't have to care about the opinions of others. No one has suggested you do. I am sure all of us have fallen in love with some shows that found little love, and have hated some shows that were showered with praise and/or cash.I know I have. No one here has said that you cannot love a show that has not been well-received, or that a show has to close because they don't personally like it. What people have done is looked at the facts, made intelligent projections, and drawn conclusions from them. You say you are not interested in any of those things. Fine. That does not alter the fact that others are. Might I ask what possible relevance your stated point is to the discussion in this thread? (Note btw that I am not suggesting that you should not make your point; simply that there is no nexus that I can discern.) You see, it seems to me that if you don't care about the fortunes of shows or the opinions of others, this is a rather odd place for you to be a denizen of for over 13 years. Which leads me to another question, if you care to answer: what draws you here?

ArtMan
#83DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 5:24pm

Deflect much?  God, you're a piece of work.  That is all.

Updated On: 11/23/21 at 05:24 PM

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#84DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/22/21 at 12:53am

Some people are here just to cause drama and it's quite obvious but I don't feel the need to address these people, so I will just say that I need to go see Diana again, this will be my 3rd time...this is Broadway, costumes, dancers, sets. Broadway is finally back!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Showhopper2
#85DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/22/21 at 1:52am

The arrogance of certain people here us unbelievable!!!! 

Reading here "this board is here for discussion.." and attacking people with other opinions at the same time..  

This is hilarious!! 

I feel for these people. Showing a behavior like this  they can't have many friends in real world out there. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#86DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/22/21 at 10:52am

Showhopper2 said: "attacking people with other opinions at the same time.."

Who has said this? 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#87DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/22/21 at 11:43am

I watched DIANA on Netflix and loved it.  I truly enjoyed it from start to finish. Even after the trashing it was getting, I still made time to watch it and enjoyed the ride.  The campiness, the attempted serious moments, the hilarious choreography - I loved it all.  It did what it was intended to do: entertain me.  It’s hilarious how much time is being wasted by many trying to debate a point.  You guys need to take a break and walk outside and clear your heads.  The reviews were terrible as is the ongoing word-of-mouth.  We all know a closing notice is evident soon.  Now move on.  

Rainah
#88DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/22/21 at 12:03pm

The music was boring and the lyrics were usually basic to the point of being awful. The 11'clock final number is so bland you could stick it in a dozen different musicals and no one would notice. I played it for a few friends calling it the blandest song I'd heard in a while... they made me turn it off.

That being said! The costumes were lovely, the choreo pretty good. The one number I liked was the photographer's number, "snap click!" it was frantic, well staged, well designed, and the lyrics weren't...as bad as usual. 

The actors were all working very hard and doing a good job.

I was most impressed by the direction, design, and the stagecraft. Some talented behind the scenes artists putting dior lipstick on this pig.

Other stray thoughts:

• "it's the thrilla in manila/with diana and camilla" isn't that bad of a line, esp in a song that is already campy. I was just mildly surprised they managed a slightly more complex rhyming structure. Y'all should leave that alone and rip more on the line about "that's what I get for marrying a scorpio" in a dramatic song jfc

• Likewise, the lines "The Russian plays on and on like an endless telethon/How I wish that he were Elton John" are good in context y'all are just haters. The melody and rhyme scheme are simple are slightly droning to fit how Diana feels (compared to Charles' lines right before) and adds to the punchline of "Elton John". 

• Now that I've praised some songs, I will hold up "Happiness/Simply Breathe" as the worst. "Darling, I'm holding our son
    So let me say
    Jolly well done"

• Ending such a campy musical with a dramatic death is... a choice. it's well done, the death, but it just doesn't fit. At all. 

• I kept somehow expecting/wanting the line "The worst job in England" to be "The worst job in London" maybe too much sweeny todd but "England" just doesn't seem to fit there

• A brief glimpse of a long black offshoulder dress in the wearing many dresses song was a mistake. I've had multiple people think it was the Revenge Dress (esp as you only see it briefly) and be confused when it comes time to actually wear the Revenge Dress.

• The AIDS patients scene started so well and then devolved into "I'm fine but I need eyeliner!!!" like good god. You couldn't leave a single thing serious? 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#89DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/22/21 at 12:06pm

When you're high as hell, this is a real treat. That's all. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#90DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/22/21 at 12:06pm

I enjoyed the ride as well. I wanted a trashy pop soap opera and that's what I got. I understand a little better why some people take umbrage with this show. It's not the same as Evita because Evita is smartly crafted, was brilliantly directed by Hal Prince, and it actually has something to say about politics and celebrity. Society, outside of Argentina, is further removed emotionally from Eva Peron and her influence, and the same is just not true for Diana. Reading the New York Times review it seems as though there is, apparently, a different set of rules for a musical about Princess Diana that other musicals and other celebrity bio musicals simply do not have to abide by.

Updated On: 11/22/21 at 12:06 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#91DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/22/21 at 12:56pm

There seems to be two distinct discussions happening: subjective discussion of the show's merits, and discussion on the objective reality of the production as a business. People are welcome to think the show is so bad it's bad, or so bad it's good, or so okay it's fine. But the undebatable fact is that the show isn't building much of an audience willing to pay to see it- this could change but there isn't a lot of time for that to happen, nor does there seem to much indication that any sort of a build is forming, nor are there many precedents for something like that.

Discussion about the business of Broadway isn't as generally fun as talking about whether shows are good or not, but for people working in or interested in what makes these productions tick, it's an entirely valid and important topic. And Diana will probably be looked at for its failures and questionable choices from a producing side for a while- with a lot of numbers to back that up.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 11/22/21 at 12:56 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#92DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/23/21 at 12:40am

I'll be seeing this one live on Friday thanks to Ted. I've already seen the Netflix capture so I'm curious to see how this plays out in front of a live audience.

Oh look, a bibu!

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#93DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/23/21 at 7:48am

CATSNYrevival said: "I enjoyed the ride as well. I wanted a trashy pop soap opera and that's what I got. I understand a little better why some people take umbragewith this show. It's not the same as Evita because Evita is smartly crafted, was brilliantly directed by Hal Prince, and it actually has something to say about politics and celebrity. Society, outside of Argentina, is further removed emotionally from Eva Peron and her influence, and the same is just not true for Diana. Reading the New York Times review it seems as though there is, apparently, a different set of rules for a musical about Princess Diana that other musicals and other celebrity bio musicals simply do not have to abide by."

You could also argue the desire for delicacy around her story the same reason people would potentially buy tickets to a Diana musical. Many American Diana fans followed her life and remain invested because they projected onto/connected with her. So, a show that is so tawdry and tacky about the events of her tragic life was always a strange angle. There's a reason The Crown is successful: it's very high class, top drawer soap opera. A more crass version wouldn't have interested Royal buffs.

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#94DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/23/21 at 9:40am

yesArtMan said: "Defect much? God, you're a piece of work. That is all."

AGREED! 

JasonC3
#95DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/23/21 at 10:58am

I often wonder what all of this is like for Prince William and Prince Harry.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#96DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/24/21 at 7:56am

JasonC3 said: "I often wonder what all of this is like for Prince William and Prince Harry."

I imagine they're ignoring it. The piece is pretty damn disrespectful to people they love very much.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#97DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/24/21 at 8:55am

I can't help but wonder what this show would have been like with a creative team that was actually respectful to Diana and her life. I think if this had been done in the same sophisticated style and caliber as, say, WAR PAINT, the end result would have been much better. Also, on that note, I would love to hear what Frankel and Korie would have done with a score for this.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

windowwaving
#98DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/24/21 at 9:06pm

I was looking at Diana tickets and noticed that they're not selling any tickets in the balcony section for Thanksgiving weekend. Did they always do this? 

Islander_fan
#99DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/25/21 at 8:51pm

windowwaving said: "I was looking at Diana tickets and noticed that they're not selling any tickets in the balcony section for Thanksgiving weekend. Did they always do this?"

No, they have not. It’s only a recent thing. They close off the balcony when it has next to no seats there and for those that do have balcony tickets, ushers are told which seats in the mezz are free to give to people who had bought balcony tickets.

Updated On: 11/25/21 at 08:51 PM

Videos