COVID Cancellations

Alexander Lamar
#50COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/14/21 at 9:18pm

Geez, that's a lot of people out at Little Shop. Excited to finally see the show tomorrow (fingers crossed).

adotburr
#51COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/14/21 at 9:19pm

Jordan Levinson said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "These cancellations are going to keep happening and that's ok. This is a million times better than a blanket shutdown of Broadway"

And one of the many reasons it's a million times better is because people get to witness just how incredible understudies are. Sometimes I think I'd like to see certain shows with at least a few of them.
"

^^^^ understudies are amazing!! I hate seeing anyone out of a show but getting an understudy is always a welcome surprise!!

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#52COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/14/21 at 9:29pm

I totally support shows canceling performances out of an abundance of caution, but I can’t lie. The uptick in canceled performances has me nervous about my two-night trip exactly three weeks from today where I plan to see Assassins, Company and Caroline, or Change. But if one or more of them gets canceled, I’ll just make the best of the situation and see something else. Hope I don’t have to though! 

AllThatJazz2
#53COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/14/21 at 9:45pm

Miles2Go2 said: "I totally support shows canceling performances out of an abundance of caution, but I can’t lie. The uptick in canceled performances has me nervous about my two-night trip exactly three weeks from today where I plan to see Assassins, Company and Caroline, or Change. But if one or more of them gets canceled, I’ll just make the best of the situation and see something else. Hope I don’t have to though!"

We are supposed to see Company this Saturday (had to reschedule twice - first due to the pandemic, and then again when we realized our rescheduled date coincides with a day Patti is scheduled for a concert in California). At this point, I'll relax when we are actually seated in the theater and the lights are going down, lol. It's the only show we are scheduled to see, and the weekend trip was planned around it. But I agree wholeheartedly that I'd rather all shows be more cautious than not, and protect the health of everyone in the production, no matter my own personal disappointment. If we've got to reschedule again, so be it.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#54COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 12:34am

Something just hit me:

As of last week, just under 25% of the eligible US population had received a booster shot - atrocious. Meanwhile, the CDC definition of “fully vaccinated” has not changed yet (it will soon, guaranteed). I have heard that two doses of the Pfizer vaccine are only 30% effective against Omicron, and knowing how similar Moderna has been compared to Pfizer ever since initial efficacy data was released, I’d expect approximately that percentage to be announced in the coming days and weeks. A booster shot, however, gets your protection against Omicron right back up to between 70 - 75%: as protected as we once were with two doses against Delta.

Broadway’s full vaccination rules have not changed since the September reopening, and quite honestly, I think they will very soon. The next time the League extends mask mandates - most likely through the end of April - “fully vaccinated” should also mean boosted, for audience members and anyone / everyone working in a theatre. New York residents can now sign up for the NYS Excelsior Pass Plus, which shows proof of all three doses received. 

There will still be breakthrough cases, I have no doubt, especially in the winter when COVID thrives in crowded indoor public spaces. Breakthroughs, however, will not be as concerning in the future as they are right now. The sad truth is that two-dose immunity has waned noticeably and there aren’t many people boosted at the moment. 
In short, GET YOUR BOOSTER NOW! What was once a helpful tip has quickly become an urgent plea as Omicron is running buck wild around the world. 

Oh look, a bibu!

VintageSnarker
#55COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 3:48am

Miles2Go2 said: "I totally support shows canceling performances out of an abundance of caution, but I can’t lie. The uptick in canceled performances has me nervous about my two-night trip exactly three weeks from today where I plan to see Assassins, Company and Caroline, or Change. But if one or more of them gets canceled, I’ll just make the best of the situation and see something else. Hope I don’t have to though!"

Glad you were able to schedule another trip. That's a great line up of shows. Fingers crossed it all goes according to plan! :)

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#56COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 6:50am

There is a silver lining to all of these cancellations: backup plan surprises.

Last night, I had a ticket to Mrs. Doubtfire, which of course got cancelled because of Covid cases. So, as a last-minute audible, I got the last two tickets to last night's performance of Kimberly Akimbo at ATC. It was the absolute best thing I have seen, Broadway or Off-Broadway, since theatres reopened. With some minor tweaks, I would love to see this transfer. My mother and I had the most wonderful time at that show, and it felt like we were meant to be at the Linda Gross Theatre last night, rather than the Stephen Sondheim. It was also her first NYC show, since December 2019.

These cancellations suck, but as Miles2Go2 very intelligently said, if it happens, we gotta just make the best of it. Last night was a shining example of that.

Updated On: 12/15/21 at 06:50 AM

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#57COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 6:53am

(Now, the above being said, I REALLY hope my Diana shows don't get cancelled this week. That would really bum me out.)

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#58COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 9:04am

These cancellations, I would imagine, are only going to get more frequent over the next couple of months. I got my booster shot about 9 weeks ago and am also now in a hotel room, quarantined with Covid, until I get a negative test result. 

Updated On: 12/15/21 at 09:04 AM

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#59COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 9:16am

Has there been any talk of the Broadway casts and crews being mandated to get the booster? It seems inevitable and could really help with these cancellations this winter.

Hairspray0901
#60COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 9:16am

Jordan Levinson said: "Something just hit me:

As of last week, just under 25% of the eligible US population had received a booster shot - atrocious. Meanwhile, the CDC definition of “fully vaccinated” has not changed yet (it will soon, guaranteed). I have heard that two doses of the Pfizer vaccine are only 30% effective against Omicron, and knowing how similar Moderna has been compared to Pfizer ever since initial efficacy data was released, I’d expect approximately that percentage to be announced in the coming days and weeks. A booster shot, however, gets your protection against Omicron right back up to between 70 - 75%: as protected as we once were with two doses against Delta.

Broadway’s full vaccination rules have not changed since the September reopening, and quite honestly, I think they will very soon. The next time the League extends mask mandates - most likely through the end of April - “fully vaccinated” should also mean boosted, for audience members and anyone / everyone working in a theatre. New York residents can now sign up for the NYS Excelsior Pass Plus, which shows proof of all three doses received.

There will still be breakthrough cases, I have no doubt, especially in the winter when COVID thrives in crowded indoor public spaces. Breakthroughs, however, will not be as concerning in the future as they are right now. The sad truth is that two-dose immunity has waned noticeably and there aren’t many people boosted at the moment.
In short, GET YOUR BOOSTER NOW! What was once a helpful tip has quickly become an urgent plea as Omicron is running buck wild around the world.
"

This is a great point but I know some friends who were fully vaccinated and caught Covid prior to receiving their booster. My one friend who works in healthcare - it has been recommended by her primary doctor not to get the booster for another few weeks/months due to now having antibodies from catching Covid. She has Doubtfire and Moulin Rouge tickets in the coming weeks. Should she not be allowed to see the shows, then? If they do end up changing the guidelines, I wonder how and if exceptions would be made for a case like hers? Hmm

Updated On: 12/15/21 at 09:16 AM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#61COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 9:22am

Jordan Catalano said: "These cancellations, I would imagine, are only going to get more frequent over the next couple of months. I got my booster shot about 9 weeks ago and am also now in a hotel room, quarantined with Covid, until I get a negative test result."

All the best to you Jordan and hopefully you won't be stuck in the hotel room for long. :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Jordan Catalano
#62COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 9:29am

Thanks! I hope I’m not stuck here much longer, even though I feel FINE (a testament to the importance of getting these shots) and am using the time to catch up on a bunch of movies - CODA is the best film of the year, hands down - so…silver lining?

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#63COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 9:34am

FANtomFollies said: "Has there been any talk of the Broadway casts and crews being mandated to get the booster? It seems inevitable and could really help with these cancellations this winter."

I don’t think so, just frequent testing and enforcement of masking policies backstage. I can imagine that some people have become a little lax about things at the theatre and out in their everyday life. I’ve seen many more unmasked people on subways, unmasked groups of tourists in close quarters outside. Everyone, please stay safe!

ArtMan
#64COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 9:44am

Jordan Catalano said: "These cancellations, I would imagine, are only going to get more frequent over the next couple of months. I got my booster shot about 9 weeks ago and am also now in a hotel room, quarantined with Covid, until I get a negative test result."

Jordan, Since you mentioned hotel room, are you out of the country having to quarantine?  That has been my biggest fear and why I have decided not to travel outside the US anymore. (I believe Covid is going to be with us for years)  I unfortunately, cannot receive my booster shot until February 2022, since I received a third shot in August 2021.  (You have to wait six months after the last).  I am hoping that the third shot gave me the same protection as the booster.  Hope you're released soon.  It could be alot worse.  You could be sick and stuck in a hotel room.

Jordan Catalano
#65COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 9:49am

No, I’m back in the states however I’m positive (no pun intended) I contracted it in the UK, even though I got negative test results there. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#66COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 10:04am

According to Ari Groover's Instagram, Tina is cancelled today.

MattieIce2018
#67COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 10:10am

TaffyDavenport said: "According to Ari Groover's Instagram, Tina is cancelled today."

Per her previous Instagram post, I think today was going to be her Tina debut, too. That’s tough…

ElephantLoveMedley
#68COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 10:52am

Tina cancellations today confirmed:

https://twitter.com/TinaBroadway/status/1471142366383902720

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#69COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 11:01am

Cursed Child matinee cancelled today due to breakthrough covid case. Evening still on. Confirmed on their Instagram 

"In here, life is beautiful"

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#70COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 11:11am

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXgmLt0AZzQ/

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BCfitasafiddle
#71COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 11:16am

These next few months are going to be interesting. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#72COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 11:49am

Jordan Catalano said: "No, I’m back in the states however I’m positive (no pun intended) I contracted it in the UK, even though I got negative test results there."

So sorry man… but glad you are feeling okay. I miss your Broadway reviews and look forward to hearing more when you recover. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Jordan Catalano
#73COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 11:51am

Well I have tickets for “Music Man” next week that I  thankfully should be past my quarantine date, and can go to!!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#74COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 11:52am

It will not surprise me if we see a winter hiatus. 

Videos