pixeltracker

Company Reviews (and beyond)- Page 40

Company Reviews (and beyond)

BCfitasafiddle
#975Company
Posted: 6/18/22 at 1:36pm

Matt Doyle will be out on Tuesday June 21st (Javier Ignacio will be on). I really hope he's going to get to see Max on at Music Man!!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#976Company
Posted: 6/18/22 at 2:39pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Matt Doyle will be out on Tuesday June 21st (Javier Ignacio will be on). I really hope he's going to get to see Max on at Music Man!!"

Of course he is - that's why he's out that night!  wink

https://www.queerty.com/broadway-boyfriends-max-clayton-matt-doyle-moment-make-two-20220615

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 6/18/22 at 02:39 PM

SisterGeorge
#977Company
Posted: 6/18/22 at 4:33pm

Everyone was on last night 1/17 and better than ever (4th time seeing it). I know it seems unlikely but Is it possible that Marianne Elliott had a session with the cast while she was here for the Tonys because when I last saw it in March some of the performances were getting a little out of control. Lenk, who has been steadily improving since opening, now owns the role to the point that I now find it hard to imagine how the show could work as well with a Bobby rather than a Bobbie. I finally enthusiastic agree with the “she was robbed” sentiment often expressed here. For the first time, her “Being Alive” had me in tears and got the kind of passionate audience ovation formerly reserved for Patti and Doyle.  Bravo to all and I can’t wait to see it again. There really isn’t a finer show on Broadway right now.

Sister George

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#978Company
Posted: 6/18/22 at 4:51pm

Bobby Conte Thornton is the reason I've been repeatedly visiting the Bernard B. Jacobs theater. kiss

Oh, the show is also good...

Ptero2
#979Company
Posted: 6/18/22 at 4:54pm

Hello all! I'm planning on buying a ticket for this when I visit NYC in July. Anyone know which is better between the far right of the orchestra vs the far left in terms of how much I won't be able to see? Thanks in advance!

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#980Company
Posted: 6/18/22 at 5:22pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Matt Doyle will be out on Tuesday June 21st (Javier Ignacio will be on). I really hope he's going to get to see Max on at Music Man!!"

Where did you read this?

I hope he will be on Wednesday - I’m taking my mom to the matinee, and it’s no small undertaking to get here there.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

BCfitasafiddle
#981Company
Posted: 6/18/22 at 5:24pm

Matt posted it directly onto his instagram story. I'm sure he'll be back the next day.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#982Company
Posted: 6/18/22 at 5:55pm

Ptero2 said: "Hello all! I'm planning on buying a ticket for this when I visit NYC in July. Anyone know which is better between the far right of the orchestra vs the far left in terms of how much I won't be able to see? Thanks in advance!"

Both sides are fine. Most of the show is played toward the front of the stage and mostly centered, so you may just miss some stage business off to either side.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#983Company
Posted: 6/18/22 at 6:00pm

Ptero2 said: "Hello all! I'm planning on buying a ticket for this when I visit NYC in July. Anyone know which is better between the far right of the orchestra vs the far left in terms of how much I won't be able to see? Thanks in advance!"

If seeing Patti's face during the bar scene/"Ladies Who Lunch" is important to you, sit far right orchestra. She faces house right for much of the scene, so you'll be seeing a lot of her back of you sit far left.

Updated On: 6/18/22 at 06:00 PM

CarlosAlberto
#984Company
Posted: 6/18/22 at 6:24pm

There is an interview with Bobby Conte where he says that while rehearsing "Company" the production had access to the various versions of the show's scripts including the original vignettes that George Furth wrote that were ultimately used to form the show's book as well as a draft of the screenplay for the movie adaptation that George Furth wrote himself. 

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
#985Company
Posted: 6/18/22 at 8:19pm

Back in December, I saw the first 8 minutes of “Company.” I’m sure lots of you here have the full scoop behind the abrupt shutdown (semi-abrupt, we got some quality time when Patti LuPone before they officially pulled the plug)… anyway, the theater announcer said it was an actor with food poisoning. What he didn’t say, based on the the leaks later, is that there weren’t any understudies available due to COVID.

My curiosity about that aside, six months and a day later, I saw "Company" start to finish this afternoon. It was magnificent, every bit worthy of its five Tonys, and all the praise it’s gotten on these boards.

Which brings me to, "WTH(!) Jesse Green??" I read his review again at intermission and felt sick. A "sour remake" Sure, yeah, everyone’s entitled to their opinion, but that one was downright disturbing given the magic I saw on stage. And I'd venture to say the rest of the audience agreed.

He couldn’t make the gender leap and he trashed it. To my mind, it was critical malpractice.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#986Company
Posted: 6/18/22 at 8:28pm

pacificnorthwest said: "Which brings me to, "WTH(!) Jesse Green??" I read his review again at intermission and felt sick. A "sour remake" Sure, yeah, everyone’s entitled to their opinion, but that one was downright disturbing given the magic I saw on stage. And I'd venture to say the rest of the audience agreed.

He couldn’t make the gender leap and he trashed it. To my mind, it was critical malpractice.
"

In my opinion, Jesse Green has absolutely NO TASTE in theatre. NONE! I miss Ben Brantley's reviews.

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

SisterGeorge
#987Company
Posted: 6/19/22 at 2:49pm

CarlosAlberto said: "Bobby Conte Thornton is the reason I've been repeatedly visiting the Bernard B. Jacobs theater.kiss

"

Sister George

SisterGeorge
#988Company
Posted: 6/19/22 at 2:51pm

CarlosAlberto said: "Bobby Conte Thornton is the reason I've been repeatedly visiting the Bernard B. Jacobs theater.kiss

"

Bobby is your hobby and you're not givin' it up.

Sister George

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#989Company
Posted: 6/19/22 at 3:33pm

pacificnorthwest said: "Back in December, I saw the first 8 minutes of “Company.” I’m sure lots of you here have the full scoop behind the abrupt shutdown (semi-abrupt, we got some quality time when Patti LuPone before they officially pulled the plug)… anyway, the theater announcer said it was an actor with food poisoning. What he didn’t say, based on the the leaks later, is that there weren’t any understudies available due to COVID.

My curiosity about that aside, six months and a day later, I saw "Company" start to finish this afternoon. It was magnificent, every bit worthy of its five Tonys, and all the praise it’s gotten on these boards.

Which brings me to, "WTH(!) Jesse Green??" I read his review again at intermission and felt sick. A "sour remake" Sure, yeah, everyone’s entitled to their opinion, but that one was downright disturbing given the magic I saw on stage. And I'd venture to say the rest of the audience agreed.

"

I think it's important to note that Helen Shaw, who many people on this board respect as a critic, gave the show a mixed review, and had issues with Katrina, the gender swap, and the period updating. By many accounts, the show has significantly improved since November/December, so it's entirely possible that she and Jesse Green would give it better reviews now. Unfortunately, unless they go back, the reviews from December are the ones that stand.

Updated On: 6/19/22 at 03:33 PM

CarlosAlberto
#990Company
Posted: 6/19/22 at 6:01pm

SisterGeorge said: "CarlosAlberto said: "Bobby Conte Thornton is the reason I've been repeatedly visiting the Bernard B. Jacobs theater.kiss

"

Bobby is your hobby and you're not givin' it up.

Absolutely not! My friends tease me with that line every time I tell them I'm going to see Company....again...LOL!

MadsonMelo
#991Company
Posted: 6/21/22 at 3:09am

My Friends wanted to see LuPone and Doyle, bought a ticket to Last week for Tuesday but Patti was out, reschedule to day, but Doyle is out LOL

Can they Make Another change of as Doyle is not above The title, its not possible?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#992Company
Posted: 6/21/22 at 6:17am

FYI, Simard is out today and tomorrow. Kathryn Allison will be on as Sarah.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ashley0139
#993Company
Posted: 6/21/22 at 12:13pm

MadsonMelo said: "My Friends wanted to see LuPone and Doyle, bought a ticket to Last week for Tuesday but Patti was out, reschedule to day, but Doyle is out LOL

Can they Make Another change of as Doyle is not above The title, its not possible?
"

They can ask at the box office and they may be understanding. They don't have to exchange them since he's not above the title, but for a recent Tony winner they may do it.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

RWPrincess
#994Company
Posted: 6/21/22 at 1:29pm

Rudy2 said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "Matt Doyle will be out on Tuesday June 21st (Javier Ignacio will be on). I really hope he's going to get to see Max on at Music Man!!"

Where did you read this?

I hope he will be on Wednesday - I’m taking my mom to the matinee, and it’s no small undertaking to get here there.
"

He posted this morning that he will be back for the matinee tomorrow

BobNC Profile Photo
BobNC
#995Company
Posted: 6/21/22 at 4:36pm

Yes, Matt posted on his IG that he will be back for 6/22 matinee.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#996Company
Posted: 6/21/22 at 6:24pm

Company is closing 7/31. Company 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/21/theater/company-broadway-closing.html

ElephantLoveMedley
#997Company
Posted: 6/21/22 at 6:25pm

ljay889 said: "Company is closing 7/31. Company

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/21/theater/company-broadway-closing.html
"

Heartbreaking.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#998Company
Posted: 6/21/22 at 6:26pm

NOOOOO

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#999Company
Posted: 6/21/22 at 6:30pm

Phone rings, masks gone, there goes COMPANY. Company