pixeltracker

Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022

Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 4:10pm

Ariana will host the episode on January 15 with musical guest Roddy Ricch. 

Updated On: 1/6/22 at 04:10 PM

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 4:24pm

Queue the head-scratching from a lot of the country but I for one am F*CKING THRILLED! 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

BCfitasafiddle
#3Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 4:26pm

Good for her!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#4Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 4:27pm

Wow, it's so crazy how far she's come. I still remember when I first saw her as a kind of random side-kick character in Bring it On: The Musical. It's always so surreal when long-time theatre people acquire mainstream notoriety. Well-deserved! 

RWPrincess
#5Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 4:30pm

I'm so happy for her. She's come a long way since playing Donna Summer.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#6Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 4:38pm

Thrilled for her, but gotta laugh at this in the BWW article:

”DeBose was also seen on Broadway in Hamilton, Pippin, A Bronx Musical, Pippin, Motown, and Bring It On.”

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#7Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 4:40pm

Yaaaaasssss Queen!!! heart

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#8Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 4:40pm

JBroadway said: "Wow, it's so crazy how far she's come. I still remember when I first saw her as a kind of random side-kick character in Bring it On: The Musical.It's always so surreal when long-time theatre people acquire mainstream notoriety. Well-deserved!"

Also an Ari fan since Bring It On. She took that random sidekick character (Nautica, 1/3 of Jackson High’s dance crew) and electrified it instantly. It’s been a thrill watching her grow this last decade and I can’t wait to see what she does next. Simply amazing that she might win her first Oscar before her first Tony!

Oh look, a bibu!

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#9Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 4:57pm

I am so thrilled for her! Wow!!

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#10Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 5:25pm

Who is this girl’s agent?

Exciting!

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#11Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 5:25pm

Who is this girl’s agent?

Exciting!

jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
#12Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 5:39pm

C'MON, OSCAR CAMPAIGN!! She's such a star and so deserving of this. I am so so excited!! 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#13Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 5:43pm

I remember her from So You Think You Can Dance, so that’s quite a journey.

And yes, this is probably to boost her visibility for the Oscar. I’m all for it!

Bwayornoway
#14Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 5:51pm

I hope she showcases her voice and dancing and maybe even does a funny parody of WSS - Finally someone with talent and deserving rising to the top!  Cheers!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#15Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 6:05pm

Bwayornoway said: "I hope she showcases her voice and dancing and maybe even does a funny parody of WSS - Finally someone with talent and deserving rising to the top! Cheers!"

"I like to be here on SNL / Okay by me here on SNL..."

Oh look, a bibu!

Globefan
#16Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 6:11pm

She's coming for that Oscar! 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#17Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 6:11pm

TotallyEffed said: "Who is this girl’s agent?

Exciting!
"

My ex works for SNL.  Lorne Michaels picks the guests and musical guests. Countless actors and music acts are overlooked each season as their agents have zero pull on SNL.  That’s why there are numerous head-scratcher choices hosting.  If he likes your random series or film, good chance you’ll be approached to host.  

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#18Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 6:27pm

I’m wondering if the show will be entirely in person, virtual, or a mix of both.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BrodyFosse123
#19Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 7:07pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I’m wondering if the show will be entirely in person, virtual, or a mix of both."

Show will be entirely live from Studio 8H.  Studio audience is still TBD.  

jakethesnake
#20Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 7:15pm

I’m sure she will do a fine job.  And I’m equally sure that this will be the lowest rated episode of the season by far.  No offense to her, but absolutely no one outside of Broadway knows or cares who she is.  

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#21Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 7:39pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "TotallyEffed said: "Who is this girl’s agent?

Exciting!
"

My ex works for SNL. Lorne Michaels picks the guests and musical guests. Countless actors and music actsare overlooked each season as their agents have zero pull on SNL. That’s why there are numerous head-scratcher choices hosting. If he likes your random series or film, good chance you’ll be approached to host.
"

To that point, I forgot that she's in Schmigadoon! which is a Lorne Michaels show.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#22Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 7:53pm

I think she’s amazing and I’m hoping she gets an Oscar nod.

The timing should help Spielberg’s WSS as it will probably be released to VOD shortly thereafter.

bear88
#23Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 8:02pm

jakethesnake said: "I’m sure she will do a fine job. And I’m equally sure that this will be the lowest rated episode of the season by far. No offense to her, but absolutely no one outside of Broadway knows or cares who she is. "

This may be true, but do people tune in for the host unless it’s a particularly big or newsworthy name? I honestly don’t know the answer.

It’s obviously a coup for DeBose, who has become one of my favorite performers. It might even help her Oscar campaign. And, yes, I would certainly assume they will have a sketch or two in which she sings and dances.

I had forgotten Lorne Michaels produced Schmigadoon.

Globefan
#24Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 9:32pm

Schmigadoon feels like so long ago. 

BrodyFosse123
#25Ariana DeBose to host first SNL episode of 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 10:46pm

I’ve been watching SNL since it’s debut in 1975 (I was 10).  Even in the 80s and 90s with an active lifestyle, I recorded it on my VCR, then later DVR, so I’ve never missed an episode.  Now, by saying this, I’m one of many that still watches it regardless who is hosting it.