pixeltracker

New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District

New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#2New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 1/13/22 at 3:05pm

Definitely the type of space needed on Broadway, but this is a "I'll believe it when I see it" proposal.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#3New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 1/13/22 at 3:07pm

A much needed space, that more and more shows would benefit from. I’m intrigued!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#4New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 1/13/22 at 3:19pm

Very interested to see where they find the space.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 1/13/22 at 3:27pm

Tag said: "Definitely the type of space needed on Broadway, but this is a "I'll believe it when I see it" proposal."

Indeed. These aren't exactly A-class people attached, and there are no true details provided other than "we're planning to do this." It's telling that the Times chose not to take it as an exclusive...

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 1/13/22 at 3:40pm

Now we can those revivals of “Dude” and “Via Galactica”!!!

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#7New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 1/13/22 at 3:41pm

A "high capacity venue" because that is the theatre we have all been saying we need. Why build another Lyric, or pre Wicked Gershwin?

But yes, Tag. Believe it when I see it is exactly when I'm thinking too.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone
Updated On: 1/13/22 at 03:41 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 1/13/22 at 3:45pm

fashionguru_23 said: "A "high capacity venue" because that is the theatre we have all been saying we need. Why build another Lyric, or pre Wicked Gershwin?"

I believe the Palace is also ADDING seats? when they raise it? That thing's a barn already.

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#9New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 1/13/22 at 4:12pm

This is 100% not happening. The last press release this guy sent out was seven years ago announcing a West End show that never happened. And the other one is a co producer who has never produced or run a theater.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#10New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 1/13/22 at 4:20pm

I’m intrigued, though I suppose I’m also skeptical. A space like this would be a great addition, but I do hope that if it happens, there is a flashier name for the venue. :)

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#11New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 1/13/22 at 4:31pm

I don't think I've ever rolled my eyes so furiously at a press release. It's rife with "I'll believe it when I see it" moments, and all the "inclusive" talk seems so pandering and useless in this context.

As to where such a thing might exist - don't get me wrong, it ain't gonna happen - most of 42nd Street between west of the New Amsterdam and Lyric is destitute right now, so there actually is plenty of space to tear down and rebuild something spectacular. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#12New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 1/13/22 at 5:06pm

This would be INCREDIBLE if it happens! It's exactly the type of space broadway needs right now. It's a big "if," though. I'll remain hopeful, but skeptical. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#13New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 1/13/22 at 5:06pm

Wow! I'm skeptical too.

If anything, I remember back in 2013/2014 the offbway show GREAT COMET had a tent called KAZINO in that empty lot next to the Imperial and in front of the Golden on 45th street between Bway/8th ave. I thought it was great and that space can be made customizable for smaller audiences (off-bway level) but I doubt Broadway size audiences would work. Who knows.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#14New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 1/13/22 at 5:34pm

This Dalton Dale guy is confusing in general. A few pros have been scratching their heads about him for some time. He claims a history in amusements and immersive entertainment, but there are a number of people he's claimed to work with who either don't know the guy or will only cop to meeting him once.

He also claims to be a producer on Moulin Rouge, and seems to show up to openings (as evidenced by someone who encountered him at the Boston tryout), but neither he nor his company are credited anywhere, unless he's a smaller part of another named entity.

I'm not crying B.S., but I am saying there's a fishy smell.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#15New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 1/13/22 at 10:21pm

When I opened this thread, I was expecting to see a lot more cheerleading and a lot less realism. I'm glad I was wrong. 

When assessing any Broadway "project" (and this one seems almost too big for that term), the first thing you have to ask is: who among them knows where the land mines are buried? Because Broadway is riddled with them. 

Others have done a good job of answering this question here, so I'll just add a couple of observations.

1. Building a big theatre in the theatre district is not the same thing as having Broadway theatre. And the road between those two concepts is already pock marked. 

2. The amount of money they have proudly announced they have available will not buy you 2 productions a year much less a big "completely flexible" venue in the heart of the theatre district. Not even close. 

Don't hold your breath. LOL

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#16New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 1/13/22 at 10:34pm

It is telling that the ONLY media outlet that has run this “story” is the one that regurgitates press releases :)

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#18New Immersive Broadway Theatre to be Constructed in NYC's Theatre District
Posted: 5/29/23 at 6:22pm

Broadway Flash said: "any updates on this?"

Of course not. It was an unrealistic fantasy idea that never even went further than talking about it.  cheeky

Latest Posts

Videos