Crazy stage door time

Theatrefanboy1
#1Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 12:51pm

I’m curious who were some actors that caused major stage door crowds, traffic issues.  Were there any times when it was almost guaranteed a congested hassle at around 10:30 when someone was leaving the theatre?

I think back to Ricky Martin in Evita or Idina Menzel after If/Then. Have there been other shows that bad?  

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 12:58pm

Aren't bigger crowds and tighter security pretty much a guarantee whenever there is a major celebrity in a show? I'm sure there have been many other shows that stirred up such congestion on a nightly basis. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Hairspray0901
#3Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 1:02pm

The craziest stage door experience I ever had was in July 2007/2008 (I forget which year) - Laura Bell Bundy’s last show in Legally Blonde. The crowds were insane, probably 4-5 rows deep. People were shoving others against the barricades. Everyone sweating. Actors having to reach over everyone to sign autographs or take pictures. It was a nightmare. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#4Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 1:17pm

Brendon Urie in Kinky Boots. His garbage fans were the living worst. When they didn't like it if he didn't stay allllll night to sign everything, they would turn on him. Verbally abusing him, following him, the works. 

Ugh.  

Updated On: 1/17/22 at 01:17 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 1:30pm

Julia Roberts. The police closed the entire block of 45th St after every show, because the crowds were so insane. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#6Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 1:31pm

Went to stage door Anastasia the day before it closed to give Christy Altomare a gift. It took about an hour for her to get to me. Crazy afternoon. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

pmensky
#7Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 1:33pm

I remember when there were no barricades at the stage door, and only a handful of people would stick around to get an autograph. The first barricade I remember was for the revival of “Grease” in 1994, and it was because Rosie O’Donnell was rapidly rising to fame at that point. I remember thinking how wild it was that there were so many people and how it was necessary for those barricades to be there. Even for the following couple years there were shows with big stars that didn’t use barricades, but then it quickly became the norm. I remember Nicole Kidman did The Blue Room and seeing giant crowds while walking by and Hugh Jackman in The Boy from Oz was a mob, too.

Claudia Draper
#8Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 2:27pm

MADONNA -SPEED THE PLOW,   whole block

MattieIce2018
#9Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 2:46pm

Beetlejuice was awful. Not sure if it was just because it was Rob McClure's last weekend when I went but there were probably 5-6 rows of people pushing against the barricades. The people in the front were passing playbills back and forth from those behind them to the actors because there would've been no way to reach otherwise.

Updated On: 1/17/22 at 02:46 PM

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#10Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 3:34pm

OBC run of Mean Girls (Barrett Wilbert Weed shared a stagedoor experience about this on her instagram I believe)

Colleen Ballinger during Waitress (made a YouTube video about her experience)

Ben Platt during Dear Evan Hansen

Seconding Brendon Urie during Kinky Boots! 

adotburr
#11Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 3:37pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "

Ben Platt during Dear Evan Hansen

"

DEH is crazy with or without Ben. Saw DEH twice - once with and once without and both times there was a crowd 3 rows deep before the show even let out. 

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#12Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 3:51pm

This is definitely true!

benfox2 Profile Photo
benfox2
#13Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 4:04pm

Jake Gyllenhaal in Sea Wall/A life was madness. Rows of people pushing, and this was right after his spider-man role so a ton of marvel fans trying to get things signed. Jake told a guy next to me to leave after he signed like 5 of his things LMAO.

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#14Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 4:10pm

Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington. The crowds were huge for both. Denzel actually interacted with the crowd whereas Julia just waved from an SUV as it passed by. FWIW...Roberts hadn't a clue as to how to act on a stage which really surprised me since I always viewed her as a fine film actress. However, the evening wasn't a total loss since her other two cast members in the three-character play were Bradley Cooper and Paul Rudd.   

JGPR2
#15Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 4:35pm

Daniel Radcliffe was the biggest crowd I ever saw personally.

Whatshisname Profile Photo
Whatshisname
#16Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 5:01pm

Billie Joe Armstrong...Entire Block

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#17Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 6:10pm

Another vote for Daniel Radcliffe… after How To Succeed in my case. SCARY crowd; yelling and pushing. Couldn’t get away fast enough after the show, which wasn’t easy to do. It was a total mob. 

Nolan LuPone
#18Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 6:39pm

Didn't police have to be brought in frequently when the OBC of Hamilton was in the show? I remember having a hell of a time trying to walk past the Rodgers Theatre in 2016 and seeing a lot of news articles about it.

Islander_fan
#19Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 8:39pm

Nolan LuPone said: "Didn't police have to be brought in frequently when the OBC of Hamilton was in the show? I remember having a hell of a time trying to walk past the Rodgers Theatre in 2016 and seeing a lot of news articles about it."

I worked for awhile at Hamilton. Started when it was the tail end of the original cast’s time in the show. I could be wrong, but I don’t remember them closing off the street for that stage door. However, the real mess as it relates to Hamilton was that, every time the in person lotto was going on, cops had to block off the street since the crowds were that big. That was one of the many many good reasons as to why the in person lotto stopped. 

broadwayfan128
#20Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/17/22 at 10:52pm

Darren criss in hedwig 

fyeahmaria Profile Photo
fyeahmaria
#21Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/18/22 at 1:33am

I remember Billy Joe Armstrong in American Idiot was quite crazy.

Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#22Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/18/22 at 8:01am

Al Pacino in Glengarry Glenn Ross. Whole block closed. Things started out orderly, then the stage doormen decided to move the barricades, which caused a surge of the crowd to the new configuration. Utter chaos. At one point a group of Brazilian tourists (literally) grabbed Mr. Pacino for a photo and sent him tumbling backwards (I caught him)

The night before Heathers closed was a circus

Seconding Darren Criss in Hedwig

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

jenn328 Profile Photo
jenn328
#23Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/18/22 at 10:26am

Jordan Catalano said: "Julia Roberts. The police closed the entire block of 45th St after every show, because the crowds were so insane."

Same when Daniel Radcliffe was in How to Succeed.

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#24Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/18/22 at 11:33am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pne76g_WP8

Looks like Bernadette and Mandy were pretty much mobbed after every performance back in '84.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#25Crazy stage door time
Posted: 1/18/22 at 11:37am

sbflyfan said: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pne76g_WP8

Looks like Bernadette and Mandy were pretty much mobbed after every performance back in '84.
"

THAT is NOT a mob.  It’s probably 10 people you can’t even see applauding and cheering.  Hahaha.

THIS is a mob scene: