MJ: the musical - Reviews

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:03am

Inspired by the life and art of the late Michael Jackson, MJ opens at the Neil Simon Theatre February 1. The production began previews December 6, 2021.

Myles Frost makes his Broadway debut as the King of Pop. Also in the cast are Quentin Earl Darrington as Joseph Jackson and Rob, Whitney Bashor as Rachel, Gabriel Ruiz as Alejandro, Antoine L. Smith as Berry Gordy and Nick, Joey Sorge as Dave, John Edwards as Jackie Jackson, Ayana George as Katherine Jackson, Apollo Levine as Quincy Jones and Tito Jackson, Tavon Olds-Sample as Michael, Lamont Walker II as Jermaine Jackson, and Zelig Williams as Marlon Jackson.

Walter Russell III and Christian Wilson alternate in the role of Little Michael while Devin Trey Campbell plays Little Marlon Jackson.

The musical features a book by two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Lynn Nottage and a score made up of some of the most popular songs in recording history. Tony Award winner Christopher Wheeldon directs and choreographs.

MJ features sets by Derek McLane, lighting by Natasha Katz, costumes by Paul Tazewell, sound design by Gareth Owen, projection design by Peter Nigrini, and hair and wig design by Charles LaPointe, music direction by Jason Michael Webb, musical supervision by David Holcenberg, and orchestrations by Holcenberg and Webb. Casting is by Rachel Hoffman of The Telsey Office.

https://www.playbill.com/article/michael-jackson-bio-musical-mj-opens-on-broadway-february-1

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 12:44pm

I am very curious to see these reviews. Is it just me, or does it seem like there has been very little buzz about this show so far?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 2:08pm

It seems like most of the Broadway community has gotten to see this one already, and they are raving. I have no idea what the critics will say tonight. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#4MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 2:15pm

Certainly seems like a situation where certain individuals will accuse critics of being against Black Joy again.........

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#5MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 2:18pm

The general consensus online with Broadway talent and everyone else who has seen it are basically all raves. Tons of buzz online for this, I hope it gets good reviews overall but I know they will give the cast some excellent compliments. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#6MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 2:33pm

I've seen nothing but raves online as well. I love Nottage, so hope she gets a big ol' hit with this one. Kind of exciting it's actually opening after all the delays. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#7MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 6:23pm

Take a shot if “I believe in miracles, and a miracle has happened tonight” is quoted as part of a rave / positive review. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 2/1/22 at 06:23 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 6:59pm

Or

“You’ll love this show - it don’t matter if you’re black or white”

”Broadway, you’ve been struck by a smooth musical”

Updated On: 2/1/22 at 06:59 PM

JaglinSays
#9MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 8:26pm

Likely positive notices, although I hope they acknowledge the frankly awful, clichéd book.

Jordan Catalano
#11MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 9:10pm

Updated On: 2/1/22 at 09:10 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#12MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 9:16pm

Daily Beast is pretty negative.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mj-the-michael-jackson-broadway-musical-is-high-on-dazzle-low-on-depth?source=articles&via=rss

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#14MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 9:34pm

Something tells me that "a slickly corporate, officially sanctioned slice of legacy clean-up. Two and a half hours of glittery hagiography" would be a good pull-quote for the audience interested in this show. 

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
teos
#16MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 9:39pm

I was surprised by all the positive reviews from the audience in the last few weeks, maybe the medias will highlight what's wrong with this show: the lack of depth, emotion and empathy. On the other hand, it's clear that the cast is really excellent!

akhoya87
#18MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 9:42pm

Apropos of nothing, I went to see Prayer for the French Republic last Sunday.  I sat across the aisle from two theatre critics who were bantering about different shows (and complaining about the return of Rudin-esque tactics for the Music Man).  MJ came up - one critic sighed deeply and said, "I don't know what I'm going to say about that show."  Expressed quite a bit of ambivalence.  May reflect how some other critics feel, too.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#20MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:05pm

The Daily News might be the most positive review, and even that one baldly states: “Given that Broadway ruthlessly has canceled other artists for far less, this is a level of hypocrisy that must be noted.” I mean… I just don’t know if this show was ever a good idea.

Jordan Catalano
Jordan Catalano
#22MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:08pm

This is clearly going to be one of those shows that audiences love but critics don’t want to like. And a theme I’m noticing is they’re not happy the show doesn’t address “the big question” even though this show takes place before those events publicly happened. So it seems their big problem with the show is that it’s not the show they want. 

KevinKlawitter
#23MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:12pm

teos said: "I was surprised by all the positive reviews from the audience in the last few weeks, maybe the medias will highlight what's wrong with this show: the lack of depth, emotion and empathy.On the other hand, it's clear that the cast is really excellent!"

Well, I imagine the sort of audiences who go to a Broadway show's previews are fairly self-selecting, and the sort of people who'd go to a Broadway show about a figure as controversial as Michael Jackson even more so.  The sort of people who would cast a more critical eye on a show about Michael Jackson are probably more likely to wait for reviews before choosing whether or not to see it.

chrishuyen
#24MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:14pm

Jordan Catalano said: "This is clearly going to be one of those shows that audiences love but critics don’t want to like. And a theme I’m noticing is they’re not happy the show doesn’t address “the big question” even though this show takes place before those events publicly happened. So it seems their big problem with the show is that it’s not the show they want."

I definitely agree with you Jordan, as someone who also really enjoyed the show. I do think Jesse Green was fair in his review, praising the Nottage and the actors and design elements, and he's right that there is a bit lacking as to the actual character of Michael Jackson outside of his work ethic, but to me I was more fascinated by his creative process than anything. And maybe that's why I like this one better than so many of the others. I've always thought that in female-led jukeboxes the segments about their (usually troubled) relationships with men have always been the most boring part, and I much preferred the sections about their actual careers, which this does deliver quite a lot of. And going into the show, you have to know they're not going to bring up any of the assault allegations so I feel like once you've made peace with that it's a fine show. But I'm gonna guess most of the tourist audience coming to the show is to see exactly what the show delivers: the hit songs, the costumes, and the choreography. Those that don't think this show should've existed probably won't bother coming. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#25MJ: the musical - Reviews
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:14pm

I don't go to shows based on critic reviews, especially when they barely review the show and talk about things that have nothing to do with the actual show itself.

This show has a built in fan base of many generations, and people seem to love it who attend. I also don't think critics love bio musicals anyways. I'm so glad Myles Frost is getting love, he is a star. 

Videos